HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Aeros @ Pack (PACK WIN 4-3 - Callahan HAT TRICK/OT WINNER)

Old
01-27-2007, 11:29 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
not bad at all. callahan is an example that every scout in the hockey world should sit down and take notes on. you cannot teach heart and the willingness to do everything it takes to get to that next level. even if the guy has minimal skill he will make it IE. Ortmeyer. A guy could have all the skill in the world, but if he is not willing to go through a wall to get there he will falter IE. Brendl/Lundmark.

Go CALLY!
Heh, speaking of that(well...kinda?..)...in the 3rd period Callahan sprinted to a lose puck with a guy flying in on him, Cally moved the puck and took a huge hit...PJ Stock one of the announcers said "That's a great play by Callahan, you cannot teach that, take the hit to make the play, you do little things like that and you will have a NHL future"

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Larry Melnyk

Two things are becoming pretty obvious form the Pack's play:

1) The Rangers did the right thing for all the kids and their development by keeping them in the AHL even if some of them were better options then what is currently in NY....

2) Callahan is ready to play for the Rangers and could help them in a 2nd or 3rd line capacity---He sure as hell could offer more then Hossa and Betts up there..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
The 1st and especially the 2nd goals were just nice shots through the five-hole from the slot. The 3rd goal was a gimme but that was because he know to head to the net with his stick down.

The best players are the players who know where to go when they don't have the puck, the players who know how to get open...that is HUGE in hockey. Its not just about stick handling through players. Shanny not just known for his great shot but for the fact he is so good at being in the right spot and getting open. Don't underestimate that sort of talent in a player that can't really be taught.
I agree with you here Fly. There are those players who the puck just seems to follow. It's kinda weird, but like you say it's more about players like Cally just knowing where to go when they don't have the puck. They know how to anticipate the play. The other thing is that Callahan seems to know what to do with the puck when he gets it. SHOOT...and he does that well.

I'd be very happy with him playing his type of game and netting around 20 goals a year. But we may get more you never know.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Balej20*

Just wondering...What ever happened to Dwight Helminen. Last year we were talking about him maybe making the team this year. Now this year no one talks about him. I know he hasn't been scoring as much, but whats the deal?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:40 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Just wondering...What ever happened to Dwight Helminen. Last year we were talking about him maybe making the team this year. Now this year no one talks about him. I know he hasn't been scoring as much, but whats the deal?
I can't see much more than a fourth-liner for Dwight. He's a little smallish and doesn't get to the net enough from what I've seen, so I can't imagine him doing a whole lot at the NHL level.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:30 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I was just talking about him with Storm in a Teacup.

This kid is great. There really is no quit in him.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:33 AM
The Big Apple

Helminen is great at faceoffs, and is very strong defensively

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:36 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
Helminen is great at faceoffs, and is very strong defensively
From what I've heard, and the little preseason action I've seen, he was good on the pk as well.

I don't see why he couldn't be a 4th line center for us.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Pizza

I agree. Not sure how much scoring he'd contribute, but the guy can flat out skate. Very good defensively. I could see him being part of a deal up coming.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:46 AM
dank

Callahan = Bobby Orr!

check out the Wolfpack website for a bit of a crude animation of the final goal in todays game.. Ryan Callahan flies!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
See, thats the thing, and keep in mind im basing this off of 1 game, nothing more, but the kid just seems to find himself in perfect position for gimme goals. Its not like the guy uses his speed to blow by people, or he powers his way to the net, or whatever, he just seems almost....lucky.

i hate to say that, since im basing it on such a tiny sample size, but nothing about his game screamed out to me that hes going to be a gamer. He just seemed to be....fortunate.

Obviously you have to put yourself in those situations by reading the play (hockey sense, check), by putting the puck in the net (finishing skills, check), etc.
Very good post inferno, I agree 100%.

It would be easy to look at the statsheet and get a ton of expectations on Callahan. While he does allot of things really well, just like you put it, I don't see him becomming a "gamer".

I am almost a bit worried that its gooing to easy for him offensivly, he must still develop his defensive game some.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:47 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Korps is still pretty young at 21 yrs.
He is a latebloomer too. I mean I doubt he can grow a beard yet. Thats a pretty big factor, people develop in diffrent paces.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am almost a bit worried that its gooing to easy for him offensivly, he must still develop his defensive game some.
And that's why he's smartly been kept playing in Hartford playing 20 mins a night in all situations..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Slewfoot

Attended the game in Hartford

Positives:
Callahan not only scores but is involved all over the ice. Dubinsky was also a standout. Lampman played a pretty solid game. Weller was hitting most of the night.

Negatives:
No suprise here but Purington is awful ! Hard to believe he wears the 'A' on this team. He started out the game on the wing and finished on defense. He is terrible on defense and worse on the wing !

Slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:55 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post
Positives:
Callahan not only scores but is involved all over the ice. Dubinsky was also a standout. Lampman played a pretty solid game. Weller was hitting most of the night.

Negatives:
No suprise here but Purington is awful ! Hard to believe he wears the 'A' on this team. He started out the game on the wing and finished on defense. He is terrible on defense and worse on the wing !
Purinton is not a great player but you can't bash him wearing the 'A'. He is all for the team...and a very good leader...if only he could play

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote