HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense options?

Old
01-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Defense options?

Well who are maybe some of the potential dmen that we may be able to grab that haven't been discussed.

Firstly, who are the guy's that have been rumoured at least a little bit;
Stuart, Corvo, Phillips, Visnovsky, Boyle...

Who are others from lower end teams that we could realistically pick up, and could help our team?

Blake? Veteran dman, still has a great game. Is he available though? Maybe he wants to go to a team that can make the playoffs, and even do some damage once there.

Foote? Makes $4.6 million, but would bring a big boost to our d groups. I'm not sure how many years are left on his contract, but there'd be a solid chance CBJ moves him by the deadline.

Salei? Florida's season is up the stinker. Salei may not come cheap, but he'd be an excellecnt addition to our defense. Perhaps a little underrated, and if a deal did happen for him, fans at first would think we overpaid, but by the time the playoffs began, we'd be cheering about what a steal the guy was.

Any other ideas?

It'd be nice to get a full scope of potential options out there for Lowe, as chances are it won't be an obvious guy.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Bank Shot

Tom Poti would be an upgrade on Bergeron which would leave the 5/6 slots open for Smid and Greene where they are better suited.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:32 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Well who are maybe some of the potential dmen that we may be able to grab that haven't been discussed.

Firstly, who are the guy's that have been rumoured at least a little bit;
Stuart, Corvo, Phillips, Visnovsky, Boyle...

Who are others from lower end teams that we could realistically pick up, and could help our team?

Blake? Veteran dman, still has a great game. Is he available though? Maybe he wants to go to a team that can make the playoffs, and even do some damage once there.

Foote? Makes $4.6 million, but would bring a big boost to our d groups. I'm not sure how many years are left on his contract, but there'd be a solid chance CBJ moves him by the deadline.

Salei? Florida's season is up the stinker. Salei may not come cheap, but he'd be an excellecnt addition to our defense. Perhaps a little underrated, and if a deal did happen for him, fans at first would think we overpaid, but by the time the playoffs began, we'd be cheering about what a steal the guy was.

Any other ideas?

It'd be nice to get a full scope of potential options out there for Lowe, as chances are it won't be an obvious guy.
The Kings aren't going to trade Visnovsky unless they receive a hell of an offer. He's under contract for next season at a $1.9 mil cap hit. There's no rush to trade him now. Lombardi said recently they weren't looking to trade him. Things can obviously change of course but to get Lubo, it's going to cost a ton because just about every team can afford to take on his contract.

As for Rob Blake, he knew what he was getting into when he signed a two year extension here. I don't think he'd ask for a trade again after all the crap and booing he went through the first time LA moved him and I'm sure the Kings would take a PR hit for doing the right thing (according to some fans) and bringing him back and then turning around and trading him again 7 months later. The other thing to factor into the equation is Jack Johnson's favorite player is Rob Blake. Having Blake around to serve as a mentor to Johnson could be a huge factor in Johnson's decision on when to leave Michigan. Could he be traded? Sure, anything's possible. If the Oilers are looking to LA for a defenseman more likely choices than Visnovsky and Blake would be Brent Sopel, Aaron Miller, or perhaps Mattias Norstrom, who might or might not have a no-trade clause (according to Garrioch he does).

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:20 AM
vb

Add Zidlicky to the list, I think Matheson dropped his name a couple weeks ago.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Venom_17

Probably no Blake from LA, definitely no Visnovsky.

But if you're interested in Miller or Sopel...

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:47 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Probably no Blake from LA, definitely no Visnovsky.

But if you're interested in Miller or Sopel...
Maybe they're interested in Tverdovsky

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:56 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Boynton, Mara, Witt

I'd really like to see if we can snag that Klesla kid from CBJ. Their first-ever draft pick, he has been slow to develop but I think we're going to start to see his true skill and potential unveiled in the coming 2-4 seasons.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:20 AM
Cerebral

Boynton is a guy I covet. He'd definitely be a bit of a gamble as he makes decent coin over in Phoenix and he has struggled this year but he's still young and I feel he can regain his form and step back into a 22-24 minute a night role. He's not a great point producer or anything but I think he'd bring some stability to our backend.