HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Wjc 1988

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2007, 11:38 AM
  #1
statistics
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Wjc 1988

26 December 1987-4 January 1988, Moscow Soviet Union

1. Canada
2. Soviet Union
3. Finland
4. Czechoslovakia
5. Sweden
6. USA
7. West Germany
8. Poland

Best Scorers (7 games/team):

1. Alex Mogilny SU 9+9
2. Thomas Sjögren SWE 6+9
3. Ola Rosander SWE 9+5
4. Sergei Fedorov SU 5+7
5. Janne Ojanen FIN 6+5
6. Tero Toivola FIN 3+8
7. Robert Reichel TCH 3+8
8. Jeremy Roenick USA 5+4
.
.
11. Rob Brown CAN 6+2
12. Theo Fleury CAN 6+2
? Teppo Numminen FIN 5+2

Robert Reichel (born June 24 1971) was 16! Eric Lindros had 4+0 when he was 16. Sidney Crosby had 2+3 (6 games) when he was 16.

Rob Brown dominated without Lemieux.

I remember 1990 WJC, Reichel-Holik-Jagr dominated. I think it's best WJC line ever. Even better than Mogilny- Fedorov-Bure.


Last edited by statistics: 01-26-2007 at 12:05 PM.
statistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:55 AM
  #2
statistics
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
1993 Sweden had great line Näslund-Forsberg-Sundström. Forsberg had 31 points (WJC record).

statistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 12:27 PM
  #3
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
If I remember correctly, Reichel and Holik were the 2 getting all the publicity beforehand. Things changed a bit ehh .

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 01:08 PM
  #4
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by statistics View Post
1993 Sweden had great line Näslund-Forsberg-Sundström. Forsberg had 31 points (WJC record).
They did, however, have the luxury of beating up on Japan 20-1. A lot of their points came in that game. (For those who want to expand the WJC to 12 teams, the 1993 Japanese squad is reason No. 1 not to do it. You'll have a team that bad at the tournament almost every year).

The one thing that wasn't mentioned about the 88 tournament was the performance of Jimmy Waite. The 87 Punch-up at Piestany between Canada and the Soviets gave the WJC a big profile boost in Canada. Waite stole the show in the Canada-USSR game. I think he stopped 38 of 40 shots. Canada won the game and the tournament.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:01 PM
  #5
statistics
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
The one thing that wasn't mentioned about the 88 tournament was the performance of Jimmy Waite. The 87 Punch-up at Piestany between Canada and the Soviets gave the WJC a big profile boost in Canada. Waite stole the show in the Canada-USSR game. I think he stopped 38 of 40 shots. Canada won the game and the tournament.
Canada won 3-2 vs. Soviets. Canada won 6 games and tie vs. Finland 4-4. Poland won only one game vs. USA 4-3. Sweden won Poland 13-0 and Czechoslovakia won USA 11-1. USA and West-Germany won only one game too. Poland relegated, because of goal differential.

All-star team:

Petr Hrbek TCH (4+4)-Theo Fleury CAN-Alex Mogilny SU

Teppo Numminen FIN-Greg Hawgood CAN (1+8)

Jimmy Waite CAN

Best Goaltender: Jimmy Waite CAN
Best defenseman: Teppo Numminen FIN
Best forward: Alex Mogilny SU

B pool:

1. Norway
2. Romania
3. Switzerland
4. Japan
5. France
6. Yugoslavia
7. Holland
8. Austria

Romania was better than Switzerland!! Both Norway and Romania had 10 points. Romania almost promoted to A pool!! Where is Romania now?

statistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:14 AM
  #6
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
They did, however, have the luxury of beating up on Japan 20-1. A lot of their points came in that game. (For those who want to expand the WJC to 12 teams, the 1993 Japanese squad is reason No. 1 not to do it. You'll have a team that bad at the tournament almost every year).

The one thing that wasn't mentioned about the 88 tournament was the performance of Jimmy Waite. The 87 Punch-up at Piestany between Canada and the Soviets gave the WJC a big profile boost in Canada. Waite stole the show in the Canada-USSR game. I think he stopped 38 of 40 shots. Canada won the game and the tournament.
Chicago expected him to be better long term than Hasek.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.