HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL GDT: New York Rangers AT Philadelphia Flyers 1 pm

Old
01-27-2007, 09:05 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Just got back from Philly. Had a good time - lots of Rangers fans down there for the game, which was good to see. We even had a few "Potvin sucks" chants going

But the biggest surprise was how quiet the arena is. I've been to several Flyers games over the years and the place is always rocking. I know they aren't exactly having a great season, but the place was dead....except for when the "Lets go Rangers" chants started and they booed, lol.

As for the game, I didn't think we played a great game..but we won. We NEEDED this win. Lundqvist played well and made some big saves at the end, Jagr played an excellent game, the 4th liners looked good...however, the powerplay is still awful. It's the same stuff going on for the past five games. You could see Rozsival and Nylander set up with an open lane about 5 feet from Esche and not shooting...why? I get the whole cycling thing even though I don't agree with it, but that just seems like foolish hockey.

Nevertheless, we're 1-0 after the break and we gotta keep this up. This isn't exactly a rough and tumble stretch we are going through, so now is the time to take advantage.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:26 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
It took a goal in the last 30 seconds for the Devils to beat the Flyers last week. What should they do? Break up their team?

Jagr gets "a bit more attention he can handle" night in, night out. Shanahan is a big boy, he knows if he's playing too much. It's his choice to play on the pk.

Shanahan made the decision to open his mouth and point fingers. He's also the guy who has 2 goals in his last 80 shots.
I don't agree with that. Shanny wants to win and the things he says he says because he wants to help the team. It's just advice. The man has over 600 career goals and just because he's cold lately doesn't mean his speaking out means nothing.
A leader is a leader.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:32 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is such a blinders answer. You avoid discussing how he has also played well on the top lines, only to be demoted to the bottom lines. And, if this is your recipe for success, we should be seeing many a vet playing on the 4th line soon, to get them going, right?
TB, Prucha needs to play on a line that excels on the forecheck. That's his game at even strength. People get too obsessed with line numbers. Minutes and play is all that counts. I liked your comment about The Great One having trouble scoring with Betts & Hossa, so true.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:34 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I'm 2-0-0 in GDT's baby! haha. I gotta get a little better at making them though.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
my point was they didn't play well. They didn't look like a team that can beat the better teams in the legaue and if this was a game against a better team, with the way they play, they lose. Philly controlled the physical play and the Rangers were sloppy in their own end and in the neutral zone.
I can agree with they didn't "play well", but they won. At this point all we can hope for is a playoff spot. IMO, I don't care how they get there or what they do if they get there.

Quote:
Did he say Hollweg needs to score more goals for this team to win? Or that Jagr's not carrying the load? Sorry, I missed the pointing fingers comment from Jagr, but would love to see it and perhaps that'll change some of my opinions.
I don't wanna fill this up with Shanahan quotes. Everything he said that I call finger pointing can be found here.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I don't wanna fill this up with Shanahan quotes. Everything he said that I call finger pointing can be found here.
He's right.

Here's the catch though. You can bet your ass that the team heard exactly those words - and probably more - before he talked to the press. That's what a leader does.

He didn't name names (that would be finger pointing) and he always includes himself in his criticisms.

It's a constructive, analytical look at the Rangers powerplay.

What more are you looking for?

The blogger states it's directed at Renney and Jagr, but when you really think about what he's saying he is referring to the "we." Shanahan is just as guilty as the rest of them in making that extra pass, and Jagr isn't the only one on the ice. Marty Straka, Roszival, and Nylander are all doing it too. So really...

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Just got back from Philly. Had a good time - lots of Rangers fans down there for the game, which was good to see. We even had a few "Potvin sucks" chants going

But the biggest surprise was how quiet the arena is. I've been to several Flyers games over the years and the place is always rocking. I know they aren't exactly having a great season, but the place was dead....except for when the "Lets go Rangers" chants started and they booed, lol.

As for the game, I didn't think we played a great game..but we won. We NEEDED this win. Lundqvist played well and made some big saves at the end, Jagr played an excellent game, the 4th liners looked good...however, the powerplay is still awful. It's the same stuff going on for the past five games. You could see Rozsival and Nylander set up with an open lane about 5 feet from Esche and not shooting...why? I get the whole cycling thing even though I don't agree with it, but that just seems like foolish hockey.

Nevertheless, we're 1-0 after the break and we gotta keep this up. This isn't exactly a rough and tumble stretch we are going through, so now is the time to take advantage.

Danno I was there this afternoon aswell. Your right it was like someone died in there. But man was that goal horn loud!!!!!!! Holy crap I was suprised at that. Were you down by the Ice before the game in the big group of Ranger fans. I was there, lol. We started the Lets Go Rangers chants and the Henrik chants.

Quote's from the day:
Flyers Goal scored by number 44 Joni Pitkanen....Guy next to me: Hey, he scored... Trade him while his value's up!!!

On the way out

Flyers fan: Go Home Rangers fans!!!!

My dad: Ok fine, and we'll take our 2 points with us.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Pizza

Did you wear the Jersey?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:35 AM
McDonagh27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I'm 2-0-0 in GDT's baby! haha. I gotta get a little better at making them though.
No fair! you went up against the mighty Flyers!!

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:41 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrstrakanylander View Post
No fair! you went up against the mighty Flyers!!
haha I forget who my other game was against. And hey, with these Rangers, no game is a cake walk, even the doormat of the league lol.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
The guy is trying hard, but just not getting it done. I can't help but think that a guy with his mileage should've been playing 20+ minutes per night (about four more than last season). Just seems that will wear down a guy. Not trying to make excuses for Shanny, just analyzing what's going on out there.
It is impossible to ignore how much Renney is responsible for driving Shanny into the ground when discussing Shanny's scoring woes. I truly think that Shanny has very little left in the tank already and Renney's misuse of him is laregly responsible for that.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:53 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
What he brought in the 3rd is what he needs to bring on a regular basis. 1st line, 2nd line or 4th line he have not been able to do that.
Why would he not have been able to do that? A player's style is a player's style. Prucha looked very much into the game when he was on Jagr's line last year.
Quote:
Renney haven't used him as much as he did last season because of that.
Rubbish. Renney has not used him properly strictly becuase he is Renney. Prucha scored 3 goals in 6 games when he found his ice time reduced in the Montreal game. Then he found himself on the 4th line. Renney has also not allowed for him to get his shot down or maintain his confidence by not giving him PP time (a place where he was every bit as effective as Shanny last year).
Quote:
I thought taking it easy and reliving Prucha of some pressure by playing him on a 4th line wasn't such a bad idea, and got asked the question, how on earth is playing Prucha on a 4th line gooing to make him better, now he comes back after 2 straight games on a 4th line and plays better in the 3rd then he have all season (IMO), so obviously it had a positive effect.
This is not cause and effect. Prucha did not magically start to play well because he was relegated to the 4th line.

Old
01-28-2007, 08:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'm probably the one Rangers fan that's pissed about what he said to the media about the power play problems. Yes, I understand he answered a direct question(s) but he shouldn't have answered the question the way he did. If you read between the lines he took a shot at both Jagr and Renney. This is Jagrs team and it didn't need Shanahans leadership....They need him to score goals...
In theory, this is Jagr's team, but I think that Shanny has been the team's spiritual leader and someone that a good amount of players (and press) turn to first in the lockerroom. Maybe it is just me, but I think that some of the whispers about discontent in the lockerroom stem from this. I think that there could be a North American/Euro divide whereas the nationalities are viewing two seperate people as the leaders. IMO, this team most certainly DOES need whatever intangibles that Shanny brings to the table.
Quote:
Take the name off the Jersey and we have a guy that hasn't produced in almost 2 months. Would he helped by second line center? Yup....but a second line center isn't just needed for Shanny...It's needed to balance the ENTIRE team. To take pressure off the Captain that leads on the scoresheet game after game...
You cannot discount Renney's culpability in all this. He stupidly played an older player FAR more than was necessary or what he was used to. That and the fact that he sends him onto the ice with players who should not be in that spot are two major factors in Shanny's decline.

Old
01-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Ola

Quote:
This is not cause and effect. Prucha did not magically start to play well because he was relegated to the 4th line.
No of course not, but the debate were how could he possibly become better from sitting on a 4th line for a few games, it will only make him worse, loose more confidence.

All I said was that sometimes its good for a young player to sit down and get a breather...

Quote:
Rubbish. Renney has not used him properly strictly becuase he is Renney. Prucha scored 3 goals in 6 games when he found his ice time reduced in the Montreal game. Then he found himself on the 4th line. Renney has also not allowed for him to get his shot down or maintain his confidence by not giving him PP time (a place where he was every bit as effective as Shanny last year).
I don't care how much he scores, he is not a good enough offensive player to play like Ziggy Palffy, Prucha must play like he did last night to be effective, to be succesful, to score goals. Whats goals anyway, Scott Fraser scored allot for Edmonton but never scored for us. Jeff Toms had 3 goals for us in one game.

Prucha have been given a shot, and not played like he did last night and moved to the 4th line, then been given a 2nd shot, and not played like he did last night and moved to the 4th line, and then been given a 3rd shot, and not played like he did last night and moved to the 4th line, I could go on but I guess you get my point.

You feel Prucha should play instead of Shanahan on the top PP unit, thats your opinion. Shanahan defenitly outplayed him for that spot.

I think you "cheat" if you develop a player like that. Prucha struggled with Cullen and Shanahan for a reason. Real physical ice hockey reasons. He had flaws that needed to be corrected inorder for him to be a succesful hockey player, which by my defenition is someone who atleast plays a good hockey game, maybe without scoring much but still good hockey, in all enviorments.

I know Prucha got it in him, to be a good hockeyplayer in almost all enviorments, but were putting to much pressure on himself to score goals, and loosing focus on the basics.

This is a discussion that can go on forever, it all depends on what glasses you are wearing.

I've followed Prucha for 5 years now. IMO it were something fundamentally wrong with how he played this season, pretty much untill the 3rd last night. I am not saying that he were terrible, he got tremendous touch but besides that he pretty much looked like Jason Krog. The Prucha I've seen for the prior 4 season always contributed in all aspects of the game, for his entire career in Europe he especially contributed defensivly and in the transition game. When something is fundamentally wrong like that, you need a chance to sit back and think it through in order to get back on track. Prucha were given that chance several times, but its not untill now he is starting to react in a positive manner.

Thats my opinion, if you belive he would have developed more playing with Nylander and Jagr its your opinion. I can defenitly see your reasoning, and don't think its anything wrong with it. But I personally am afraid that it could have been a rud awakening for him instead in 3 years when JJ is gone. I belive this is the proper way to bring him along.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Ola

Quote:
It is impossible to ignore how much Renney is responsible for driving Shanny into the ground when discussing Shanny's scoring woes. I truly think that Shanny has very little left in the tank already and Renney's misuse of him is laregly responsible for that.
Yes its defenitly very possible...

Last season Carolina played Rod Brind'Amour an avg of 24:18 in the regular season. He lasted a entire PO.

I don't really see him looking worn out on the ice. One problem is though that Shanahan are forced to concentrate so much on defensive aspects, espcecially when playing with Cullen, which makes it hard for him to last 60 minutes. Though the option Renney have to correct that is playing him with Betts and Cullen, and how good that is can be questioned...

I personally think the only diffrence between Shanahan now and early in the year is that teams have started to read him better on the PP, he are getting much less pointblank shots. If Jagr can get his shooting back to were it where last season Shanahan will get more ice to work on.

Though again, I am not seeing Shanahan looking worn out like Jagr can do at times after all the focus he gets from the D on the other team.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Fletch

ola...

I don't know how you compare Brindy to Shanny. Shanny averaged less than 18 minutes per game the last couple seasons. Perhaps there's a reason for that. Now he's well over 20. Last season he didn't kill penalties, and this season he is. That cannot be ignored. Back to Brindy - he is probably in better shape than any NHL player. The guy works out like crazy. I don't think it would be fair to compare anybody to him. Also, Shanny has been visibly tired this year. He doesn't need to kill penalties.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:56 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
We are going to get out arses handed to us. With the fight in the Philly practice (or sucker punch) their team is going to come flying out of the gate. Rangers don't have straka and have a terrible lineup so this one isn't going to be pretty.
Nice prediction?

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:02 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Girardi looks good, maybe he can make Rachunek or one of our other d expendable.
Really liked the way he played. Physical, protected the front of the net, moved the puck well, didn't take risks or go up the middle, used the boards effectively

Old
01-28-2007, 02:05 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I love Hollweg.
So do we all...but it almost got to the point in this game where someone really needed to take on Eager or Fedoruk...Holly has shown he can take it to Eager although I'm not quite sure how (unbelievable)...but it almost got to the point where someone really needed to just get into a scrap with Fedoruk and that is not Hollweg's job.

Old
01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
THATS what I like to see. Sticking up for your teammates. How the late/high hit on Toots went uncalled is questionable though.
Amazing. Really is. Brings your team so much more together....and that's hockey. That's what other teams do all the time. Good to see were finally getting it

Old
01-28-2007, 02:10 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Orr should have played today istead of Hall
As should always be the case. I'd even take Ward over Hall.

Old
01-28-2007, 02:16 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
hall MUST GO
Funny you say that because after Potulny checked Hollweg from behind...Hall surprisingly went up after Potulny. I think Renney has spoken to Hall about finally bringing in the physical element of his game...and if Hall can do that he may be somewhat of an effective player considering that he is solid on the PK

Old
01-28-2007, 02:17 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
No of course not, but the debate were how could he possibly become better from sitting on a 4th line for a few games, it will only make him worse, loose more confidence.

All I said was that sometimes its good for a young player to sit down and get a breather...
So then every player should be so treated, right? Everyone needs the same kick in the pants, or is it just Prucha?
Quote:
I don't care how much he scores, he is not a good enough offensive player to play like Ziggy Palffy, Prucha must play like he did last night to be effective, to be succesful, to score goals.
He DOES typically play that way.
Quote:
Whats goals anyway, Scott Fraser scored allot for Edmonton but never scored for us. Jeff Toms had 3 goals for us in one game.
You're really reaching here. Wake me up when Toms scores 30 goals in a year. Or Fraser.
Quote:
Prucha have been given a shot, and not played like he did last night and moved to the 4th line, then been given a 2nd shot, and not played like he did last night and moved to the 4th line, and then been given a 3rd shot, and not played like he did last night and moved to the 4th line, I could go on but I guess you get my point.
Prucha's shot has a leash on it that is 1/40th the length of that on Malik or Cullen or Hossa or Betts.
Quote:
You feel Prucha should play instead of Shanahan on the top PP unit, thats your opinion. Shanahan defenitly outplayed him for that spot.
First of all, don't put words into my mouth. Second of all, since you brought the topic up, please demostrate how Shanny had a better year on the PP than Prucha did last year.
Quote:
I think you "cheat" if you develop a player like that. Prucha struggled with Cullen and Shanahan for a reason.
Yes, for the same reason that Shannahan has strugeled with him. It is called being centered by Cullen.
Quote:
Real physical ice hockey reasons. He had flaws that needed to be corrected inorder for him to be a succesful hockey player, which by my defenition is someone who atleast plays a good hockey game, maybe without scoring much but still good hockey, in all enviorments.
Physical hockey is about as far away from his "flaws" as the moon. Sure he has flaws. Who doesn't? However his major flaw is that he has a coach who would rather place his trust in a "safe" 4th liner or waiver pick up, as opposed to deal with the growing pains of a young player.
Quote:
I know Prucha got it in him, to be a good hockeyplayer in almost all enviorments, but were putting to much pressure on himself to score goals, and loosing focus on the basics.
No one is putting pressure on his to score goals. You are arguing a battle no one is debating. People are just clamoring for him to be put in a situation that will best result in success. Renney has not been condusive to that. Not for Prucha, not for the rest of the team.
Quote:
I've followed Prucha for 5 years now. IMO it were something fundamentally wrong with how he played this season, pretty much untill the 3rd last night. I am not saying that he were terrible, he got tremendous touch but besides that he pretty much looked like Jason Krog.
I don't care about the past. I do care about the present and, more importantly the future. And for the latter, comparing Krog to Pruch is outright laughable.
Quote:
I belive this is the proper way to bring him along.
Not being put into situation that best dicates success is no way to bring anyone along.
Quote:
Last season Carolina played Rod Brind'Amour an avg of 24:18 in the regular season. He lasted a entire PO.
Shanny is not Brindy or vica-versa. Fletch's response is perfect. Unless you are ready to debate why it is that Detroit has been playing him for 16 minutes per night over the last 2 years.

Last edited by True Blue: 01-28-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old
01-28-2007, 02:19 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Where is TBBB? He would love this game
He's been watching...just never got a chance to get to the computer. Watched it downstairs on the big screen and did love it. Amazing what happens when you stick up for each other...just in general for a team. Sure Eager and Fedoruk were crushing guys in open ice and into the bench....but even CAPTAIN JAGR...was sticking up, finishing checks, making moves, and playing some very effective D. I must say I was very proud to call him Captain Jagr today. (Note how I do bash the guy yet when praise is earned I give it...unlike many of you with you know who). Also a very good team effort all around. Potulny hit from behind....Hall gets in there. Tyutin hit up high...Cullen,Hossa,Prucha,Rachunek get in there! Good stuff...great win!

Old
01-28-2007, 02:21 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Rangers geting physically manhandled
For a short period....that was true