HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2014, 08:39 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Wait. You think this is the players fault?
If you read my subsequent posts (which you didn't), you'd see that I said it's a failure on both sides.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Hammer8
Blow it up

vCash: 500
I am officially at a loss at this point.

It's easy to point the finger at Eakins. But I watch the consistent miscues of Gagner and gang and it's like watching a Tier 5 community team play a AAA rep team in how they make their decisions. It's like they've been bred to play offense only.

There can be no way Eakins is teaching players to ignore the trailer, leave the slot open, make bad pinches, etc etc. Those are individual decisions and once made cue the Chinese Fire Drill in our end, we lose all zone composure and begin to chase the puck, which winds up in our net.

After more than half a season they can no longer say they are confused from so many coaches so remove that excuse. Gagner, Eberle and many others are making the same defensive mistakes they made under all the other coaches.

I believe they drafted some very stubborn players who only played the game one way. They also drafted players devoid of leadership.

MacT also gambled on quantity vs quality for defensemen with his multitude of signings/trades this past off-season, all of which were of the same mold, soft puck movers.

Our lack of size, grit, character and will also shows through in spades.

I am not sure Eakins or Scotty Bowman would be successful with this group of players. We simply have the wrong mix of players.

My avatar says it all about this team.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:55 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
If you read my subsequent posts (which you didn't), you'd see that I said it's a failure on both sides.
Its the players fault that the team has no size, no grit, very little quality veteran presence, substandard goaltending, and to a man, players asked to play a level above their abilities.

Stupid players.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:58 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post

It's easy to point the finger at Eakins. But I watch the consistent miscues of Gagner and gang and it's like watching a Tier 5 community team play a AAA rep team in how they make their decisions. It's like they've been bred to play offense only.

There can be no way Eakins is teaching players to ignore the trailer, leave the slot open, make bad pinches, etc etc. Those are individual decisions and once made cue the Chinese Fire Drill in our end, we lose all zone composure and begin to chase the puck, which winds up in our net.

After more than half a season they can no longer say they are confused from so many coaches so remove that excuse. Gagner, Eberle and many others are making the same defensive mistakes they made under all the other coaches.

I believe they drafted some very stubborn players who only played the game one way. They also drafted players devoid of leadership.

MacT also gambled on quantity vs quality for defensemen with his multitude of signings/trades this past off-season, all of which were of the same mold, soft puck movers.

I am not sure Eakins or Scotty Bowman would be successful with this group of players. We simply have the wrong mix of players.

But yet, Eakins still throws Sammy out there on the top line, top pp unit, over and over again, despite the repeated gaffes youve hilighted.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Hammer8
Blow it up

Quote:
But yet, Eakins still throws Sammy out there on the top line, top pp unit, over and over again, despite the repeated gaffes youve hilighted.
Agreed, but I believe Gagner playing on line 1 is organizationally driven. They need to make him tradeable, pad his stats, something, than the normal ****show we've seen this year from him.

I don't agree with how Eakins has handled everything, aka Swarm, Yakupov. I believe he is full of hot air regarding accountability.

But no coach, NO coach, can be this inept and be teaching the Oilers to play this bad defensively.

As I said, I am officially at a loss.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:08 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Agreed, but I believe Gagner playing on line 1 is organizationally driven. They need to make him tradeable, pad his stats, something, than the normal ****show we've seen this year from him.

I don't agree with how Eakins has handled everything, aka Swarm, Yakupov. I believe he is full of hot air regarding accountability.

But no coach, NO coach, can be this inept and be teaching the Oilers to play this bad defensively.

As I said, I am officially at a loss.
How's that working for them?

**** Snowpants. He is sucking the life out of the first line. The pp sucks. We have enough decent pieces for that that it shouldnt. That's on Eakins. As far as management interfering, most likely is the case. They are the same morons that have been running things for the last 12yrs more or less. Its hard to find a reason to care anymore.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:10 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i thought he was a bit thicker to be honest. When they show him on the bench his neck looks skinnier than i thought it would be. prehaps he should ease off the cardio and hit the weights a bit? hard to say as he is getting a bit older so muscle mass declines. His choice in suits hasnt been too bad. a little bulky for his frame in the shoulders but no out of style color wise. His hair needs a trim though, i can tell his side part is getting in his eyes when he plays ryan smyth at any point in the game.
i changed my mind, his hair is stupid, his suits are ugly, he talks and talks stupid nonsense and the team blows because of him......and the defence

Old
01-17-2014, 09:12 AM
jeety mcjeet
I know a thing or 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
I know everyone is saying it will be the same thing if we hire another coach but it may not be. We need to hire an NHL head coach who has a winning record or well respected.

As bad as the Oilers have been, disinterested, confused, a good portion of that falls on the coaching staff. We need someone to speak and have a record to back up what their selling. Players can listen to a guy like that or hit the road.

We've been going through coaches in recent years but we haven't had an experienced, well respected NHL veteran coach. Why is that? Is it because they would demand certain amounts of control(like hiring new assistant coaches)? This is half the reason fans want Klowe gone.
Renney appears to be the best of the bunch and he's only an assistant elsewhere in this league...

Old
01-17-2014, 09:12 AM
MrM

vCash: 894
Quote:

If I were to require surgery and my doctor said the best thing was to cut off my arm, I would seek other professional opinions before going ahead with the surgery. Some will say we've already gone through the coaches and had the same results but we haven't exactly been getting the best professional opinions have we? I want the best.

My wishlist is the that Eakins is fired, MacT takes over behind the bench, new coach introduced after the Olympic break. New professional coach assesses players till the end of the year. Bold moves take place in the offseason. Major players on this team, the former untouchables are sent packing to bring in real change.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

The bolded is actually a long term problem with Mact.

When he was coach and gaining more influence over the player decisions, he was very vocal about how "it's a new game, defensemen who can't move the puck are obsolete". So Lowe did what his buddy wanted and started dumping the defensively focused defensemen the team used to be balanced out with in favor of puck movers. End result, a month into the seasons Mact starts making noise about needing defensemen that could "break the cycle" and lean on the opposition, because he now had a defensive cores that couldn't win any puck battles in order to utilize their puck moving abilities.

Years later, and Mact is still operating under the same flawed logic. Only this time someone else gets to try and coach a defensive core based his ideology, and due to the fact that Eakins is a terrible coach - the results are spectacularly bad.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Hoogaar23

Certainly if Eakins is canned, Buchberger and Smith can't survive yet ANOTHER coaching change, can they?

I mean, as a management team, you constantly identify (deflect) coaching as a problem, you change the head coach 5 times, keep the same assistants, and coach is STILL a problem?

Anyone else see a massive logic fail there?

Our pro scouts need to go. Our player development guys need to go. The goalie coaches need to go. And most definitely, the assistants need to go. Purge the whole damned thing.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:18 AM
shogun99

That's one thing I do t get about Mac T in wanting all six Dmen being puck movers. I'd rather have one offense first guy, a two way guy and 4 tough defensive Dmen. We don't need 6 Schultz's, 1 is enough.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:19 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

honestly though i think they are being over coached. I went to a seminar run by Wally Kozak who worked for the national team for years. He said the best teams he ever coached were ones where he laid out a general system and let the players use their natural instinct. I feel like our guys are more concerned with where eakins wants them to be instead of where they naturally feel they should be. It seems stupid but thinking an extra .5-1 second is life and death with the speed of the nhl. I feel like towards the end of last year Kruger just let them go wild and they played really good (better than the 3 prior and this season). Players also respect a coach like that and are more responsive to them when they actually do ask them to do something. Our PP looks overcoached, 5 on 5 we look over coached with certain players expected to do things they dont normally do.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Certainly if Eakins is canned, Buchberger and Smith can't survive yet ANOTHER coaching change, can they?

I mean, as a management team, you constantly identify (deflect) coaching as a problem, you change the head coach 5 times, keep the same assistants, and coach is STILL a problem?

Our pro scouts need to go. Our player development guys need to go. The goalie coaches need to go. And most definitely, the assistants need to go. Purge the whole damned thing.
Buchburger(and possibly Smith) is kept around because Katz wants him kept around.

Maybe the fans rant enough about it that they kick him upstairs, but the more likely result is that the assistants finally get canned when(if) Katz ever cleans house - aka. when Lowe/Mact get fired/asked to step down.

It's all unlikely, and it's easier to just assume that they'll survive any coaching changes for the foreseeable future.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:22 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:

this hasnt been said enough on these boards, this is also a huge problem, we have next to no guys developed in the ahl with 3-4 years exp that are coming up aside from arcobello and he is a marginal talent at best.
the pro scouts have been bad, and the assistants? dont even get me started on those 2 bums

Old
01-17-2014, 09:52 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Its the players fault that the team has no size, no grit, very little quality veteran presence, substandard goaltending, and to a man, players asked to play a level above their abilities.

Stupid players.
Why don't they hit, shoot the puck, forecheck, backcheck, and all those things actual good NHLers do? Do you think Eakins, Krueger, and Renney all told them not to do it?

Eakins is failing but the players aren't helping their case with the same garbage year in and year out. Either we have the dumbest players in the league or ones that just can't be coached.

How many times will they turn the puck over before they learn?

Old
01-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Beerfish

For me it's very simple. The team is worse results wise, the special teams are worse and almost without exception the individual players are playing worse.

Part of it is coaching style., if MacT stepped behind the bench tommorrow we would get the same results because Eakins is a mini me mact coaching wise.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:57 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Why don't they hit, shoot the puck, forecheck, backcheck, and all those things actual good NHLers do? Do you think Eakins, Krueger, and Renney all told them not to do it?

Eakins is failing but the players aren't helping their case with the same garbage year in and year out. Either we have the dumbest players in the league or ones that just can't be coached.

How many times will they turn the puck over before they learn?
Wooooooosh!

I think you need to take a step back and look at what has changed and what has stayed the same over the period of darkness that has been our 8yr playoff drought.

There you will find the answer you are seeking.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:03 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Wooooooosh!

I think you need to take a step back and look at what has changed and what has stayed the same over the period of darkness that has been our 8yr playoff drought.

There you will find the answer you are seeking.
I still see the same turnovers, the same back passes, the same botched odd man rushes, the same refusal to engage, the same inability to cash in on chances...

Tell me, when the oilers come in on a 2-on-1, what's the first thing you think of?

Old
01-17-2014, 10:07 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I still see the same turnovers, the same back passes, the same botched odd man rushes, the same refusal to engage, the same inability to cash in on chances...

Tell me, when the oilers come in on a 2-on-1, what's the first thing you think of?
Its the makeup of the team sir.

Its not the players. Its not the coaching, although either Eakins is stupid or their is management interference at play with some of his player personnel decisions. Im guessing the latter as there is no way on earth Buchberger and Smith were his choices as assistants.

The bottom line is this team is being run by idiots with no clue. Until that changes nothing changes.

How many coaches have we been through in the last five years? How many different players have we had in the lineup? All with the same results. Its management.

#howlowecanwego?

Old
01-17-2014, 10:15 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:

Its not the players. Its not the coaching, although either Eakins is stupid or their is management interference at play with some of his player personnel decisions. Im guessing the latter as there is no way on earth Buchberger and Smith were his choices as assistants.

The bottom line is this team is being run by idiots with no clue. Until that changes nothing changes.

How many coaches have we been through in the last five years? How many different players have we had in the lineup? All with the same results. Its management.

#howlowecanwego?
I don't necessarily disagree but I think we are also being struck with the harsh reality that our players aren't as good as we think they are.

Isn't this supposed to be a fast team? Because yesterday the Wild skated circles around us.

Yet not that long ago we gave the Bruins a run for their money. What's the deal?

Old
01-17-2014, 10:15 AM
frag2

eakins, gfy

Old
01-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:

#howlowecanwego?
Again - how the hell can coaching continuously be identified as the problem, yet the assistants with the worst record in the history of the NHL are not even looked at as maybe even possibly being part of the problem as the head coach carousel keeps on spinning?

People are looking for common denominators? Well, of course there's Lowe. But closer to the players, there's Chabot, Buchberger, and Smith. They are literally the worst assistants in the history of the game (record wise).

Old
01-17-2014, 11:03 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

The organization keeps digging itself the same holes over and over again.

Honestly, look at the ridiculous return on our players. There is no way we are going to get anything of value for Gagner, Hemsky, Eberle, or probably Hall at this point.

The old saw is "you can't fire the team", and that's where we are at.

I'm not even sure Eakins is a bad coach, but he was put into a pretty crappy situation and everyone should have seen this coming.

I'm not going to call him "arrogant" or a "clown" unlike some people in this thread, but very obviously something is not working here.

I can't believe that this roster can be this clueless.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
frag2

Quote:
Again - how the hell can coaching continuously be identified as the problem, yet the assistants with the worst record in the history of the NHL are not even looked at as maybe even possibly being part of the problem as the head coach carousel keeps on spinning?

People are looking for common denominators? Well, of course there's Lowe. But closer to the players, there's Chabot, Buchberger, and Smith. They are literally the worst assistants in the history of the game (record wise).
The assistants are definitely a problem no doubt. **** Tambo years ago for chopping off the wrong people and replacing them with even ****tier replacements

Still doesn't absolve Eakins for messing with what worked [PP, PK] and not fixing what didn't [ES play, D play all around]

Closed Thread