HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT : Hockey Books !

Old
01-15-2014, 08:28 PM
EmelinHipCheck

vCash: 500
OT : Hockey Books !

I know there might've been a thread about this on the main board, but i think it dates back to 2009, and many good reads have been published in the mean time. I've read so far Playing With Fire by Theo Fleury (which is by far one of my 3 favourite 3 books ever, even got a quote from it as a tattoo), Probie's, Sheldon Kennedy's, Jeremy Roenick's and one from Luc Gélinas about Quebecer players which was pretty decent. Fleury's was especially awesome, the guy has such a memory for detail, and his insight on hockey players lives in his era is pretty cool too. Anyone want to share their favourite hockey reads ? I want to get myself a new book, so i'm open for your suggestions

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:31 PM
AntonCH

The Game
ken dryden

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:39 PM
penaltykiller

Another vote for "The game". Believe the hype ! It is really that good. It is like having an insider within the late 1970s Habs. I even bought the version translated in french so that I could share it with my friends , but I still can't get them to read it...

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

I read Journeyman (Sean Pronger's book) it's pretty interesting and it gives a different POV to your usual star. I'm in the middle of reading Playing with Fire and yeah I agree it's definitely an interesting read and I like the chirping in it hahaha. I also read Bruce Boudreau's book but it was nothing special I find, it does show how long his road to the NHL was but it wasn't filled with interesting stories or a lot of Xs Os talk.

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
http://www.amazon.com/Future-Greats-.../dp/0385664400

I really liked this one. A reporter follows around the Blue Jackets leading up to the NHL draft. The Jackets even had David Fischer on their "do not draft" list, by the way.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:42 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I read Journeyman (Sean Pronger's book) it's pretty interesting and it gives a different POV to your usual star. I'm in the middle of reading Playing with Fire and yeah I agree it's definitely an interesting read and I like the chirping in it hahaha. I also read Bruce Boudreau's book but it was nothing special I find, it does show how long his road to the NHL was but it wasn't filled with interesting stories or a lot of Xs Os talk.
I saw this (Journeyman) at the book store and almost bought it.

Right now I'm in the middle of two hockey books. "Fighting Back-The Chris Nilan Story" written by Nilan himself. It's good but he spends way too much time describing every playoff game the Habs played in from 1984-1987 and who scored all the goals. I'm just getting to the part about his after hockey career which will probably be interesting.

The other one is called "Midnight Hockey" and it's all about beer league/oldtimers hockey and the lifestyle around it. Even though I'm not an oldtimer at 33, I've been playing beer league/pickup/oldtimers for about 15 years and a lot of his discussion on being in the dressing room and going on tournaments is spot on and hilarious. Again there is some boring sections where he talks about when he played in France as a younger man.

Read "Tough Guy" by Bob Probert. It was ok.

Kind of want to read former linesman Ray Scapinello's book. I always liked watching him fly around the ice and I think linesman would have a lot of interesting stories.

I also think a penalty box attendant from the mid 70s to late 90s should write a book.. I bet those guys have seen and heard a lot of good stuff in the heydays of fighting.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

It starts and ends with The Game.
I also enjoyed Future greats and heartbreaks, and The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association, by Ed Willes.
But The Game is far better.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Slashers98

Bobby Orr's book, My Story is also a good hockey book.
Patrick Roy's book written by his father is also great.

Slashers98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 08:20 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
I remember really enjoying The Final Period by Lemieux, but it was a few years ago, so I was pretty young, it could have been complete crap lol.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Uber Coca

Les yeux de Maurice Richard by Benoit Melançon. Lots of photos, historic context and whatnot.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 08:38 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
^^^came here to suggest that one. Its the only one i've read.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Mats86

I found The Game kind of mundane. I recently read Nilan's book and liked it. Kind of boring when he spends so much time talking about playing hockey at catholic schools as a kid. But was a bit in there about Whitey Bulger to make it more interesting. Just started Bobby Orr's new book.

Mats86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Lshap

The Game is epic. Very thoughtful, philosophical approach to hockey, almost like it was written by a journalist posing undercover as a goalie. Dryden was such an outsider in so many ways, so removed from the other guys in the locker room. Hard to believe this 30-year-old NHL athlete articulated it all.

Kerry Fraser's book (forgot the title) was okay. It's a chronicle of his final season as a ref and his memories of each classic arena. A few cute anecdotes, some nice observations, nothing more revealing.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

I really liked this one. A reporter follows around the Blue Jackets leading up to the NHL draft. The Jackets even had David Fischer on their "do not draft" list, by the way.
Thanks buddy, it's now on my wish list!
And wow, the Jackets? Of all team? REALLY?

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
The Game is epic. Very thoughtful, philosophical approach to hockey, almost like it was written by a journalist posing undercover as a goalie. Dryden was such an outsider in so many ways, so removed from the other guys in the locker room. Hard to believe this 30-year-old NHL athlete articulated it all.

Kerry Fraser's book (forgot the title) was okay. It's a chronicle of his final season as a ref and his memories of each classic arena. A few cute anecdotes, some nice observations, nothing more revealing.
Fraser's book is called The Final Call. I liked it. I also like Bob McKenzie's "Hockey Dad"

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 11:01 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

I wasn't completely blown away with the Game but that probably had to do with my expectations. That also doesn't mean that it isn't a great book; it is.

His portraits of Bowman and the other players are written like a true master.

It may have been the odd structure of it. Kinda felt anti-climactic and does meander a bit at times but it's still essential reading.

I read somewhere that Gretzky's Tears(pretty sure that's what it's called) is really good too. Heard that recommended on another site awhile ago. Think it talks in-depth about the Gretzky trade debacle. I think.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 11:05 PM
madhi19

Lions In Winter. It pretty much the Habs bible. A great chronicle of the team history up until the middle of the 90s. The problem is to find a copy.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Lions In Winter. It pretty much the Habs bible. A great chronicle of the team history up until the middle of the 90s. The problem is to find a copy.

Scant info online. Is the author Alan Turowetz (sp?)?

Old
01-17-2014, 07:43 AM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Scant info online. Is the author Alan Turowetz (sp?)?
Allan Turowetz and Chrys Goyens like I said if you can find a copy it a great read.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Allan Turowetz and Chrys Goyens like I said if you can find a copy it a great read.
Thanks! It's not available on Amazon.ca. Looking elsewhere...

Old
01-17-2014, 08:17 AM
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

This was one of my favorite books for a very long time. I'm sure anyone on this forum would really enjoy it.

brockoli

Brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote