HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2014, 10:09 AM
NugeFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
I am officially at a loss at this point.

It's easy to point the finger at Eakins. But I watch the consistent miscues of Gagner and gang and it's like watching a Tier 5 community team play a AAA rep team in how they make their decisions. It's like they've been bred to play offense only.

There can be no way Eakins is teaching players to ignore the trailer, leave the slot open, make bad pinches, etc etc. Those are individual decisions and once made cue the Chinese Fire Drill in our end, we lose all zone composure and begin to chase the puck, which winds up in our net.

After more than half a season they can no longer say they are confused from so many coaches so remove that excuse. Gagner, Eberle and many others are making the same defensive mistakes they made under all the other coaches.

I believe they drafted some very stubborn players who only played the game one way. They also drafted players devoid of leadership.

MacT also gambled on quantity vs quality for defensemen with his multitude of signings/trades this past off-season, all of which were of the same mold, soft puck movers.

Our lack of size, grit, character and will also shows through in spades.

I am not sure Eakins or Scotty Bowman would be successful with this group of players. We simply have the wrong mix of players.

My avatar says it all about this team.
Love the avatar! A burning heap of garbage!

Old
01-17-2014, 10:15 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
I'd say it's both poor coaching and terrible team make-up (especially the awful defense).

This team should be performing better than last season and they're not. We have an improved roster (not a vast improvement, but still an improvement) and we're somehow performing quite a bit worse.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its the players fault that the team has no size, no grit, very little quality veteran presence, substandard goaltending, and to a man, players asked to play a level above their abilities.

Stupid players.
The players don't deserve a pass. A lot of sportswriters had this team competing for a playoff spot and on paper the team looked half decent...I think the coach and GM bought the hype as well. What troubles me is the lack of character and effort put forth game in game out now that they are out of the playoffs. Hendricks came in and played hard last night but I doubt he will do it again after half the team mailed it in. The players have given up and that is on them. Don't get me wrong it is also on the coach and GM as well, I just don't think the players are giving 100% right now.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:27 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
The players don't deserve a pass. A lot of sportswriters had this team competing for a playoff spot and on paper the team looked half decent...I think the coach and GM bought the hype as well. What troubles me is the lack of character and effort put forth game in game out now that they are out of the playoffs. Hendricks came in and played hard last night but I doubt he will do it again after half the team mailed it in. The players have given up and that is on them. Don't get me wrong it is also on the coach and GM as well, I just don't think the players are giving 100% right now.
What this team needs is a real wake up call.

First, I'd fire Eakins and rest of the staff. Then I'd trade either Eberle or Yakupov, preferably the former. Would it piss off Hall? Probably but he doesn't even play on the same line with him anymore and Eberle has been crap

Old
01-17-2014, 10:35 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Agreed, however I don't believe the players are listening to the coach anymore. Any resistance in any game is met with indifference. This falls on MacT's shoulders for hiring yet another rookie coach who wasn't ready for the NHL. It should be noted Buchberger and Smith should not have been retained. I will state the worst part is the players not sticking up for one another. One of the kids needs to be traded to send a message that this kind of b.s. is not going to be tolerated anymore.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
Terrible mix of defensemen + poor coaching staff = Disaster.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

I think since this team is going nowhere but down this year, Eakins has to go and MacT needs to take over the coaching role for the rest of the year. That way, he knows exactly what he has in his locker room. This management is too enamored with themselves and their top guys to have an honest and critical view of the situation.

Its like when you write a report and you don't notice all the errors you've made until someone else proof-reads it. You've been staring at it so long you don't see the mistakes.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
What this team needs is a real wake up call.

First, I'd fire Eakins and rest of the staff.
Are you sure there would be anyone willing to take over such a trainwreck in the middle of the season. I'm pretty sure even McT doesn't want to tarnish his coaching record further by taking over behind the bench.
I'd bet even not many rookie coaches want to touch the Oilers right now. Getting behind Oilers bench now would pretty much be the kiss of death to ever getting a job in any competent organization.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:59 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Asset management.

Pronger>Eberle, Brossoit, Horak.

Souray>Zero.

Visnovsky>Whitney>Zilch

When you continually turn your best players into ****, over time the team becomes bankrupt. All we have worthwhile now are our recent first round picks. Nothing else is worth much of anything.

Think about that.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Calgary Oilers

What if...
What if Eakins had been hired by the Canucks and MacT went on to hire somebody like Paul Maurice as Associate Head Coach to help Ralph Krueger...? Would this gong show of a season be any different?

Old
01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
What if...
What if Eakins had been hired by the Canucks and MacT went on to hire somebody like Paul Maurice as Associate Head Coach to help Ralph Krueger...? Would this gong show of a season be any different?
Well, there were some positive things to look forward to with Krueger. Sure we tailed off at the end of the season but at least we were at a playoff spot till the crash.

Eakins is like a very "good" used car salesman. Slick pitch but nothing more. How else could he have convinced MacT so easily to just can Krueger via Skype.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Lindo

Eakins has made some very questionable decisions

- Constantly playing the 4th line after every goal, or putting them out after a time out/icing even when he has the option to put literally any other line out there
- Keeping the assistants
- Naming Ference captain before ever playing a game here yet.
- Blaming Yak for getting injured and not making it to the bench last night. Plus, Yakupov treatment vs Gagner/Eberle treatment.
- insisting on awful line combinations for extended periods of time. (Smyth-Hall-Hemsky, Hall-RNH-Gagner, Ference-J.Schultz)

Old
01-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Dabomb

For some reason, I just get this feeling that Eakins is not well liked by the players. They went from one extreme (nice well liked coach in Krueger to the other in hard ass Eakins).

But just like the goalie position, no one coach or goalie can help this team until drastic improvements are made to this roster, particularly on defence and adding more size and grit in the top6.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:22 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Eakins has made some very questionable decisions

- Constantly playing the 4th line after every goal, or putting them out after a time out/icing even when he has the option to put literally any other line out there
- Keeping the assistants
- Naming Ference captain before ever playing a game here yet.
- Blaming Yak for getting injured and not making it to the bench last night. Plus, Yakupov treatment vs Gagner/Eberle treatment.
- insisting on awful line combinations for extended periods of time. (Smyth-Hall-Hemsky, Hall-RNH-Gagner, Ference-J.Schultz)
Did he really do this?

Old
01-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
Are you sure there would be anyone willing to take over such a trainwreck in the middle of the season. I'm pretty sure even McT doesn't want to tarnish his coaching record further by taking over behind the bench.
I'd bet even not many rookie coaches want to touch the Oilers right now. Getting behind Oilers bench now would pretty much be the kiss of death to ever getting a job in any competent organization.
I can't see many coaches, rookie or otherwise, who would pass up an NHL coaching gig even if its with the worst team in the league. Not too many opportunities like that.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
For some reason, I just get this feeling that Eakins is not well liked by the players. They went from one extreme (nice well liked coach in Krueger to the other in hard ass Eakins).

But just like the goalie position, no one coach or goalie can help this team until drastic improvements are made to this roster, particularly on defence and adding more size and grit in the top6.
I don't think they have to like him. I wouldn't have a problem with that.
You can be an A-hole, as long as you treat everyone fairly and equally. I don't think that is happening here. Eakins has 'his guys' who seem to have a different set of rules than everyone else. So the players wouldn't have a common ground to stand on in a team vs hard ass coach dynamic. It seems to me that its Coach+Favorites vs everyone else. And everyone else probably gets the feeling like they're just holding a spot until they get moved out of town/the league.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Did he really do this?
Yeah. He called Yak out for not getting to the bench fast enough and allowing the other team to score the game changing goal.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:44 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Did he really do this?
Yep, this is where the game was lost.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:51 AM
rosemount289

Eakins gets a ...........................???

Because of all the changes this season........Eakins gets a free pass but if the team gets off to another bad start next hockey season............we will see if MacT has the "guts" to pull the trigger and fire Eakins!

I've interviewed hundreds of people (for jobs) and some comes off as "perfect candidates" and yet in working at the actual position they were "lousy" workers!

People can fool you; they can talk good but are lousy performers and you can have the opposite..........lousy talkers and very hard working people!

Old
01-17-2014, 11:55 AM
dem

You knew we were in trouble when management made it clear to Eakins that he couldn't pick his assistants..

I mean seriously. I'm no fan of Eakins. I think he has the personality of a doorknob and I'm not sure how he is supposed to fire up a team. The powerplay boggles my mind.

.. but if you pick him as your head coach let him run the fricken team. Why are we clinging to a coaching staff that has had ZERO SUCCESS.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
You knew we were in trouble when management made it clear to Eakins that he couldn't pick his assistants..

I mean seriously. I'm no fan of Eakins. I think he has the personality of a doorknob and I'm not sure how he is supposed to fire up a team.

.. but if you pick him as your head coach let him run the fricken team. Why are we clinging to a coaching staff that has had ZERO SUCCESS.
I was under the impression that the Assistants were picked by Eakins?

Old
01-17-2014, 12:02 PM
dem

Quote:
There were quotes from MacT and Eakins at the start of the year that made it pretty clear that Eakins was stuck with Buchberger and Smith..

Old
01-17-2014, 12:09 PM
frag2

Quote:
IIRC, they gave him the option to choose and he kept existing ones and added Acton.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:11 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Yeah. He called Yak out for not getting to the bench fast enough and allowing the other team to score the game changing goal.
wow, that says it all right there ... it shows his complete buffoonery for expecting a player with a head injury to get up right away.... and it also shows his mistreatment of yakupov, which has been a major problem all season

editing: i watched the presser and eakins didn't say anything about yakupov at all... don't know where mr forever is getting this from

Last edited by jadeddog: 01-17-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old
01-17-2014, 12:13 PM
oilphan

I hope they realize that Eakins is ruining this team. Not just the players, but the value of them as well.

Closed Thread