HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2014, 09:58 AM
  #76
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Talked with a couple of the scouting friends last night and they mentioned that the Flyers hold three defensemen in this upcoming draft in high esteem - Haydn Fleury, Jack Glover and Roland McKeown. The Flyers absolutely love Fleury and would love to move up to get him. They're convinced Fleury is a top five guy and that he has just as much upside as Ekblad does. The problem though is that moving into the top five is going to cost them a roster player (Brayden Schenn's name has come up), a prospect (Scott Laughton or Sam Morin) a first this year and first next year. The Flyers think this is too steep a cost to move into the top five. They'll try all they can to move up, but at the end of the day, if the cost is too high, they'll stick where they are.

The other thing that came up was just how heavy the Flyers are scouting and drafting defense as of late. One of the things that the scouts mentioned as that while the Flyers don't mandate drafting by position or need, there has been an organization shift in terms of draft emphasis and that the Flyers really want to build a deep and elite group of defensive prospects. From what the guys were saying, the Flyers would like to be 10 to 12 deep in high end defensemen prospects and that right now, while they're very pleased with the group they have, they want at least three or four more high end defenders.
Wow, that's a steep, steep price to pay for a top 5 pick! I really doubt there's any team that would do it.

Akanon is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 10:03 AM
  #77
boodangleroo28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Wow, that's a steep, steep price to pay for a top 5 pick! I really doubt there's any team that would do it.
It makes no sense! Why would we give up a former top 5 pick who has progressed at about the rate everyone anticipated (maybe a little below) and is very close to hitting his stride, along with another 1st round pick for a player who has done NOTHING in the NHL!

boodangleroo28 is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 10:09 AM
  #78
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,353
vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Wow, that's a steep, steep price to pay for a top 5 pick! I really doubt there's any team that would do it.
Nobody will do it.

Hiesenberg is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 10:40 AM
  #79
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Talked with a couple of the scouting friends last night and they mentioned that the Flyers hold three defensemen in this upcoming draft in high esteem - Haydn Fleury, Jack Glover and Roland McKeown. The Flyers absolutely love Fleury and would love to move up to get him. They're convinced Fleury is a top five guy and that he has just as much upside as Ekblad does. The problem though is that moving into the top five is going to cost them a roster player (Brayden Schenn's name has come up), a prospect (Scott Laughton or Sam Morin) a first this year and first next year. The Flyers think this is too steep a cost to move into the top five. They'll try all they can to move up, but at the end of the day, if the cost is too high, they'll stick where they are.

The other thing that came up was just how heavy the Flyers are scouting and drafting defense as of late. One of the things that the scouts mentioned as that while the Flyers don't mandate drafting by position or need, there has been an organization shift in terms of draft emphasis and that the Flyers really want to build a deep and elite group of defensive prospects. From what the guys were saying, the Flyers would like to be 10 to 12 deep in high end defensemen prospects and that right now, while they're very pleased with the group they have, they want at least three or four more high end defenders.
Fleury will probably go around the bottom of the top 10 as most defensemen fall since forward is an easier identified position. Don't be surprised is Ekblad drops to 4 or 5 much like Jones did. There is a very good chance that Fleury will be there when the flyers choose. There is a chance they just miss the playoffs with 22 of the remaining 36 games being against teams the flyers have a 7-12-1 record against. That should put them in the 8-13 range.

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 10:42 AM
  #80
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,353
vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Fleury will probably go around the bottom of the top 10 as most defensemen fall since forward is an easier identified position. Don't be surprised is Ekblad drops to 4 or 5 much like Jones did. There is a very good chance that Fleury will be there when the flyers choose. There is a chance they just miss the playoffs with 22 of the remaining 36 games being against teams the flyers have a 7-12-1 record against. That should put them in the 8-13 range.
If the Flyers miss the playoffs, Holmgren/Hextall/Snider will make some major moves.

Hiesenberg is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 11:18 AM
  #81
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Yeah, the price of moving up is ridiculous right now. What's scary though is that there are some GMs out there who are willing to pay that price to get the pick or player they want. Do I condone giving up that much to move up? Not a chance. If the asking price to move into the top five is a roster player, prospect and multiple picks, then yeah, I'd tell the other team to stuff it. At the same time, I can see why a team in the top five is going to ask for the moon if a team approaches them in terms of moving the pick.

I'll say this right now - Buffalo is going to be the team to watch at the draft. They could end up with two picks in the top five, depending on what happens in Long Island. If they do end up with two top five picks, they'll shop one of the picks like there's no tomorrow and it's possible the return is going to be off the chart stupid.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 11:27 AM
  #82
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Yeah, the price of moving up is ridiculous right now. What's scary though is that there are some GMs out there who are willing to pay that price to get the pick or player they want. Do I condone giving up that much to move up? Not a chance. If the asking price to move into the top five is a roster player, prospect and multiple picks, then yeah, I'd tell the other team to stuff it. At the same time, I can see why a team in the top five is going to ask for the moon if a team approaches them in terms of moving the pick.

I'll say this right now - Buffalo is going to be the team to watch at the draft. They could end up with two picks in the top five, depending on what happens in Long Island. If they do end up with two top five picks, they'll shop one of the picks like there's no tomorrow and it's possible the return is going to be off the chart stupid.
I believe the islanders' pick is top 10 protected or something like that. Plus that team has been very hot lately beating Tampa Bay, Colorado, Chicago and Boston in their last ten going 8-2. This is a lot bigger of a back to back set these weekend then I think a lot of flyers fans realize.

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 11:31 AM
  #83
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
I think the only way this team even sniffs a top 5 pick is if Claude Giroux gets injuried. With his track record it's unlikely

I hope to hell we don't pick that high. I still think Homer tries to make a trade at the draft. If it is anyone besides Buff, I will probably be happy(reasonable players)

Prongo is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 11:43 AM
  #84
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,422
vCash: 500
There's always a small chance of the #1 pick because of the draft lottery.

I would happily miss the playoffs if we then finally got lucky with the lottery.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 12:01 PM
  #85
kjbhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
I don't really like the depth at defense in this draft. I think there are a lot of wingers to be had in varying degrees of skill. I for one think we need more skill at the wing position and we have enough big bodies at this point. Giroux needs a crafty winger which is why I like Kapanen and Barbashev. They may not be big bodies but they have skill.

kjbhockey is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 12:20 PM
  #86
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think the only way this team even sniffs a top 5 pick is if Claude Giroux gets injuried. With his track record it's unlikely

I hope to hell we don't pick that high. I still think Homer tries to make a trade at the draft. If it is anyone besides Buff, I will probably be happy(reasonable players)
I think it would take a gigantic meltdown for the Flyers finish top 5. Edmonton, Calgary, Buffalo, and Florida a definitely worst. I think it is safe to say the Hurricanes and Winnipeg will also finish worst.

We will know more about the Islanders after the next 2 games but they have the same amount of wins in the last 14 games against current playoff teams, 7, as the flyers have all season. Plus they only have 4 more games (Sharks, blues, Aves, @canucks with only 2 after the break) against the West Coast elite while the Flyers have 9 (@ducks, aves, Blackhawks, and twice each the kings, sharks, and blues with 5 after the break.). The islanders have gone 3-6-1 against those 7 teams in the west so far. The Flyers have gone 1-4.

Also islanders only face the penguins bruins and lightening 1 time each going forward. Flyers face the penguins and bruins 3 times each and 1 time against the lightening....who the hell made up these schedules!


Last edited by Psuhockey: 01-17-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Psuhockey is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 12:28 PM
  #87
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,424
vCash: 165
Bottom 5 this year will be ~75-76 point and under club I reckon like it was in 2010-11.

The Flyers would have to go ~9-21-4 to end up in that range.

There is far more of a chance they get 100 points that get 75 or under.

I imagine the Flyers will likely need ~90-91 points to make the playoffs. 16-13-5 from now on should do that. 17-12-5 would almost guarantee playoffs. (95.3%)

The Isles are going to have to go ~21-9-3 to make the playoffs... I doubt they do that.

Appleyard is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 12:30 PM
  #88
Funf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbhockey View Post
I don't really like the depth at defense in this draft. I think there are a lot of wingers to be had in varying degrees of skill. I for one think we need more skill at the wing position and we have enough big bodies at this point. Giroux needs a crafty winger which is why I like Kapanen and Barbashev. They may not be big bodies but they have skill.
If we keep hovering around where we're at now, I don't think we'll be high enough in this draft to grab Kapanen. Besides, I don't think Kapanen isn't really a 'pure' goal scorer like many of us want to play with G. He seems like more of a player that needs the puck, and creates a lot of his own chances. Same with Barbashev.

I'm down with the Flyers plans going into this draft. I really like both Fleury and McKeown. Either one would make our defensive prospect pool deep!

Funf is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 12:34 PM
  #89
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,364
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think the only way this team even sniffs a top 5 pick is if Claude Giroux gets injuried. With his track record it's unlikely

I hope to hell we don't pick that high. I still think Homer tries to make a trade at the draft. If it is anyone besides Buff, I will probably be happy(reasonable players)
You will regret writing this when he gets hurt next game.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
01-17-2014, 01:08 PM
  #90
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Bottom 5 this year will be ~75-76 point and under club I reckon like it was in 2010-11.

The Flyers would have to go ~9-21-4 to end up in that range.

There is far more of a chance they get 100 points that get 75 or under.

I imagine the Flyers will likely need ~90-91 points to make the playoffs. 16-13-5 from now on should do that. 17-12-5 would almost guarantee playoffs. (95.3%)

The Isles are going to have to go ~21-9-3 to make the playoffs... I doubt they do that.
I agree that it is a long shot for the islanders to make the playoffs but their schedule is very conducive for doing it. There are ten teams IMO that are clearly a step above the rest: bruins, lightening, penguins in the east and Chicago, blues, aves, kings, ducks, sharks, and Canucks in the west. The islanders only have to play them 7 more times. The flyers have to play such teams 16 times, the most of all the bubble teams. Capitals are next at 13, Detroit 12. Toronto and Ottawa 11 times each, and the Blue jackets are at 10 times. The Devils are tied with the Islanders with only 7 games. If there wasn't such a demarcation of good teams versus the average slop, I would say it doesn't matter but there are clearly teams that are significantly better than the rest. It's not just how many games you have left but who you have to play this year.

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 01:42 PM
  #91
kelmitchell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You will regret writing this when he gets hurt next game.
lol you sir, you read my mind

kelmitchell is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 04:54 PM
  #92
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,725
vCash: 500
If we're looking for a winger for G, I'd much rather have Perlini or Ritchie than Kapanen. Both of those guys would be better fits on giroux's wing.

But I'd rather go defense anyway, and I still think that whatever the price is to get Ekblad, you do it.

orange is better is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 05:33 PM
  #93
Coffe
Registered User
 
Coffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
But I'd rather go defense anyway, and I still think that whatever the price is to get Ekblad, you do it.
This idea intrigues me, but what would Edmonton want for ther pick? Our 1st + 2nd and a roster player for sure, but I suck at valuing players so I will refrain from making myself look foolish.


I'm assuming it's between them and Buffalo for 1st overall barring some miracle (I guess Calgary is in the "hunt" as well) and with Buffalos addition of Zadorov and Ristolainen I'd assume they are going to pick a forward.

Coffe is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 05:55 PM
  #94
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree that it is a long shot for the islanders to make the playoffs but their schedule is very conducive for doing it. There are ten teams IMO that are clearly a step above the rest: bruins, lightening, penguins in the east and Chicago, blues, aves, kings, ducks, sharks, and Canucks in the west. The islanders only have to play them 7 more times. The flyers have to play such teams 16 times, the most of all the bubble teams. Capitals are next at 13, Detroit 12. Toronto and Ottawa 11 times each, and the Blue jackets are at 10 times. The Devils are tied with the Islanders with only 7 games. If there wasn't such a demarcation of good teams versus the average slop, I would say it doesn't matter but there are clearly teams that are significantly better than the rest. It's not just how many games you have left but who you have to play this year.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
  #95
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Talked with a couple of the scouting friends last night and they mentioned that the Flyers hold three defensemen in this upcoming draft in high esteem - Haydn Fleury, Jack Glover and Roland McKeown. The Flyers absolutely love Fleury and would love to move up to get him. They're convinced Fleury is a top five guy and that he has just as much upside as Ekblad does. The problem though is that moving into the top five is going to cost them a roster player (Brayden Schenn's name has come up), a prospect (Scott Laughton or Sam Morin) a first this year and first next year. The Flyers think this is too steep a cost to move into the top five. They'll try all they can to move up, but at the end of the day, if the cost is too high, they'll stick where they are.
Yeah I'm not buying that. No team is trying to trade for a top 5 pick in January. That's ridiculous. This isn't the 2003 draft class. This is a good step behind last year's class and the 2015 class. You could argue Sam Morin alone isn't worth trading for a top 5 pick this year let alone ++.

As far as the prospects game, I finally got around to watching it on the DVR. It was a fun game, fast paced, and exciting. Pretty good skill level by the guys up front. Just a couple random thoughts:

-Draisaitl was invisible
-DeAngelo looked tiny out there. Don't know if he was being ultra-aggressive in this particular game, but he was essentially playing 4th forward all game leaving the defensive zone before the puck was even out. Left his goalie completely out to dry on one occasion.
-Alexis Vanier who's having a big year in the Q has major skating issues.
-Daniel Audette is small and slow. Not a good combo.
-This skill level between last year's defensemen and this year crop is night and day. Not even close.
-Same with the goalies. Mason McDonald looked good though.
-McKeown was very quiet.
-Ho-Sang has a ton of offensive skill. If only he could get his head on straight.
-Virtanen is a big body who can fly and has a heavy shot. I guess there are questions of why he hasn't produced as much as maybe his skill level suggests he should. I see a little Brandon Saad in his game.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
01-21-2014, 11:02 AM
  #96
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,424
vCash: 165
I posted this in the GDT... then thought it was better here.

Even if they make the playoffs I think they have a shot at a guy with future top 4 potential.

If they make the playoffs they are likely behind ~7 or 8 in the west and ~5-6 in the East... so that will be ~16-19 range. (but that is really 15-18 due to Jersey being idiots.)

Fleury will be gone by then. (average draft rank ~8-10 from)

But guys like:

McKeown (average rank ~15... could go anywhere from ~10-25)
DeAngelo (average rank ~18-20... could go anywhere from ~10-25)
Honka (average rank ~17-20... coud go anywhere from ~15-30)

Adam Ollas Matsson is interesting for me in the 2nd... the guy has a lot of tools.

Glover, Hayden and Martin will all likely be there when the Flyers pick as well... but I don't like them as much as McKeown, DeAngelo and Honka. If those three are all gone just take the best winger... there will be a pretty good one available.

Breaking the likely draft order down:

Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle and Draisaitl are looking locks for top 5-8.

Nylander, Ritchie and Fleury will also very likely be top ten.

McCann, Ehlers, Perlini and Virtanen will be likely gone before 15.

So that is 12 guys who will be likely gone before the Flyers pick.

Then a forward group of: Kapanen, Karlsson, Kempe, Barbashev, Bleackley, Schmaltz, Tuch and Larkin

And a defensive group of McKeown, DeAngelo and Honka.


Those eleven players will all likely go between 13-25, or slightly before, (but that means someone else drops.) or maybe after.

The bolded are the players that the Flyers will most likely be able to pick (~3-5 of them will be gone though.)

Kapanen, Kempe, Barbashev, Karlsson, McKeown, DeAngelo and Honka are the ones that interest me the most... and 2-3 of them should be there when the Flyers pick.

Any of them would be very nice pickups in my mind. And the three D men can all skate very well, which is what should be a high priority.

Barbashev and DeAngelo scare me though... insane skillsets, but maybe bad attitude/not as likely to put it together.

This draft is not amazing... but there are a lot of solid players who project to be good NHLers due to their physical skills and skillset available in the 1st.

Appleyard is offline  
Old
01-22-2014, 08:44 AM
  #97
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Grover sounds like he ate Cookie Monster. Wow that's old.

Pantokrator is offline  
Old
01-22-2014, 09:26 AM
  #98
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 539
I like the idea of roland Mckeown.

However if the flyers are deadset on Fleury i think this will be a year in which we can get him.

I believe that if the oilers are in a position where they cant draft Ekblad or Reinhart then they will be looking to deal more so than before. WE know they want coburn and with klefbom and Nurse being on their roster next year they will desperately need someone who can log big minutes.

I think laughton plus coburn could get a top 5 pick from edmonton.

Jtown is offline  
Old
01-22-2014, 10:06 AM
  #99
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,424
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I like the idea of roland Mckeown.

However if the flyers are deadset on Fleury i think this will be a year in which we can get him.

I believe that if the oilers are in a position where they cant draft Ekblad or Reinhart then they will be looking to deal more so than before. WE know they want coburn and with klefbom and Nurse being on their roster next year they will desperately need someone who can log big minutes.

I think laughton plus coburn could get a top 5 pick from edmonton.
Yeh, tbh for me McKeown or Honka would be the most likely D picks... every now and again I lapse into loving the idea of DeAngelo... hometown kid, dynamic, amazing skater, good hands, insane offensive IQ, I mean, he has the tools to be a 50 point D man when you watch him. But I'm not sure he has his head on straight, and he gives not one toss about actually defending.

I think moving up to get Fleury is entirely possible... I imagine he goes ~7-10 most likely. Moving up 5 places would not be hard or costly... but if it was 10 then it gets a bit trickier, though still doable.

I think Ekblad is out of reach... if he comes up others will be in on him and it could get just silly.

I am not sure how much better he will end up than Fleury, McKeown, DeAngelo or Honka either, I imagine one of them could quite easily end up as good as him. Don't get me wrong, I really like Ekblad, he could immediately play in the NHL, but I don't think he has the room for growth the others do. It is all just speculation though until ~5-6 years or more down the line though!

Appleyard is offline  
Old
01-22-2014, 10:49 AM
  #100
kjbhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I like the idea of roland Mckeown.

However if the flyers are deadset on Fleury i think this will be a year in which we can get him.

I believe that if the oilers are in a position where they cant draft Ekblad or Reinhart then they will be looking to deal more so than before. WE know they want coburn and with klefbom and Nurse being on their roster next year they will desperately need someone who can log big minutes.

I think laughton plus coburn could get a top 5 pick from edmonton.
Who eats minutes next year if you unload Coburn and Kimmo retires? Your defense next year will be absolutely terrible.

kjbhockey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.