HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What if Blackburn had not been hurt.

Old
01-28-2007, 01:26 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
What if Blackburn had not been hurt.

I was just looking at one of my favorite websites Hockeydb and doing a little day dreaming. If Dan Blackburn's career had not been ended by his freak injury, what would that have meant to the Rangers?

Assume for the sake of this discussion he continued to develop and had Henke as a backup. Give me your scenarios.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:38 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I was just looking at one of my favorite websites Hockeydb and doing a little day dreaming. If Dan Blackburn's career had not been ended by his freak injury, what would that have meant to the Rangers?

Assume for the sake of this discussion he continued to develop and had Henke as a backup. Give me your scenarios.
First of all, we don't draft Montoya. Weekes may or may not have been signed. If he was still signed, Henke doesn't come over when he does or he is sent straight to Hartford.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:14 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
First of all, we don't draft Montoya. Weekes may or may not have been signed. If he was still signed, Henke doesn't come over when he does or he is sent straight to Hartford.
Maybe we have Olesz and our second line center position is filled? Who the hell knows. You're right though, Monty aint here.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:17 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Maybe we have Olesz and our second line center position is filled? Who the hell knows. You're right though, Monty aint here.
I think that's the only thing that changes. We end up with Olesz and Henrik is still the guy.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:52 AM
UAGoalieGuy

The Rangers probably draft one of Olesz, Smid, Radulov, or Thalen.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Edge

I think Lundqvist still makes the team and he and Blackburn battle for the starting job. I don't see Lundqvist going to Hartford with the way he played or staying there for very long if he does.

I think Montoya isn't drafted, you almost certainly get Olesz. That one I'll just about gurantee.

But that's the problem with the Rangers. Even when they draft good they get hit with an injury. It only serves to compound the times they draft like crap.

Essentially two if their first rounders in a 5-year span had to retire at around 21/22.

Sadly enough, both guys looked like NHL players.

Blackburn was a def. an NHL goalie and Chernkesi looked like a potential PF in a very similar mold to what Brendan Morrow has become. That changes a lot of things potentially.

Hypothetically you'd have a goalie tandem of Lundqvist and Blackburn. You'd have a second line of Cherneski-Olesz-Shanahan and you'd probably in general have a better team.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:40 PM
shoothepuck

Olesz gets drafted, not Montoya, Weekes isn't signed, and you have a great Lundqvist/Blackburn tandem.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:42 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You'd have a second line of Cherneski-Olesz-Shanahan and you'd probably in general have a better team.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Such is life as a Ranger fan.

Cherneski was a kid I really, really liked.

He cared and he had a lot of heart. If nothing else I think he was making it as a third line player, but his work ethic and goal scoring touch made him a likely second liner.

Brent Fedyk will forever be a curse word to me.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:49 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

He cared and he had a lot of heart. If nothing else I think he was making it as a third line player, but his work ethic and goal scoring touch made him a likely second liner.

As will John Muckler.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Edge

Fedyk just pissed me off.

Guy was out of the game, had a medicore camp, got outplayed by a kid and in what is a cosmic joke the kid gets hurt 11 games into his aHL career.

Same damn themes that plague this team:

1. Trying to salvage a career for minimal payoff.

2. Vet getting outplayed in the preseason.

3. Kid earns spot and gets sent to AHL.

4. Bad luck/karma kicks in.

5. Rangers feel affects for years to come.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Edge

Quote:
As will John Muckler.
Muckler, Sather and a lot of those guys were saved by Gretzky and 2 or 3 amazing drafts.

Everything after that exposed them for what they really were: medicore coaches/executives at best.

Old
01-28-2007, 04:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Guy was out of the game, had a medicore camp, got outplayed by a kid and in what is a cosmic joke the kid gets hurt 11 games into his aHL career.

So much about that season still ticks me off, from Cherneski being sent down, (I can remember Brooks saying "not to worry, the kid will be back in no time"), to Muckler breaking up the best line in the NHL from the previous season, (Sundstrom/TGO/Kovalev were incredible in the last 25 games), to Savard not given a shot until after the Rangers dealt for Nedved, right down to Smith inexcuasbly not moving players like MacLean, Stevens (before the incident in STL) and Pilon to contenders while they had some value. That's where the Rangers could have conceivanly been rebuilt DURING THE SMITH TENURE. Imagine having kept that top line intact, with a 2nd line of Graves/Savard/Cherneski and the 3rd line of Knuble/Malhotra/Harvey. Just sad.

Old
01-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Edge

Quote:
So much about that season still ticks me off, from Cherneski being sent down, (I can remember Brooks saying "not to worry, the kid will be back in no time"), to Muckler breaking up the best line in the NHL from the previous season, (Sundstrom/TGO/Kovalev were incredible in the last 25 games), to Savard not given a shot until after the Rangers dealt for Nedved, right down to Smith inexcuasbly not moving players like MacLean, Stevens (before the incident in STL) and Pilon to contenders while they had some value. That's where the Rangers could have conceivanly been rebuilt DURING THE SMITH TENURE. Imagine having kept that top line intact, with a 2nd line of Graves/Savard/Cherneski and the 3rd line of Knuble/Malhotra/Harvey. Just sad.
And ironically those decisions by Smith lead to what in hindsight was an overreaction at the 99 draft where he tried to rebuild the team in one big swoop.

And that was only after his deal for Palffy fell through.

But yeah, you can point to the disaster of a year that would follow with that summer in 1998.

Old
01-28-2007, 04:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
And ironically those decisions by Smith lead to what in hindsight was an overreaction at the 99 draft where he tried to rebuild the team in one big swoop.

And that was only after his deal for Palffy fell through.

But yeah, you can point to the disaster of a year that would follow with that summer in 1998.
Which is how things have been along ever since...trade Johnsson for Lindros, only having to trade for Poti to replace Johnsson.

Old
01-28-2007, 04:10 PM
SML

I think Blackburn would have been beaten out by Lundqvist by now. It was a terrible call to bring him up that early. The kid should have been playing in the WHL, dominating, and winning the Memorial cup. He SHOULD have had the chance to go to the WJC, where, depending on his performance, ironically, could have overshadowed Montoya, in which case the Rangers never pick him. That being said, they did call him up. Blackburn was a good goalie for a 18 year old kid in the NHL. I didn't think he was particularly strong technically. Maybe I was spoiled by watching Richter all those years, because Richter, until that time, had maybe the best post-to-post lateral movement I had ever seen. Blackburn was perhaps one of the worst in that regard. IIRC, it was a very awkward motion for him, where he would lunge from one side to the other, but his body would be falling forward at like a 45 degree angle. He never could stay squared up with the shooter while going side to side, and almost always wound up laying flat on his face in the crease. Which was dreadful considering the group we had and how well they cleared the net from rebound seekers Anyway, with all that said, Lundqvist may be better than Richter side to side, I think he's probably the best I can think of. When guys at this level slump, all they have to fall back on is fundamentals, and I think Lundqvists' are extremely sound. So I think we'd have a backup in Blackburn, who would get the job done, but Lundqvist would have been starting by now. As for who we would have taken with the montoya pick, I prefer not to think about that.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I think Blackburn would have been beaten out by Lundqvist by now. It was a terrible call to bring him up that early. The kid should have been playing in the WHL, dominating, and winning the Memorial cup. He SHOULD have had the chance to go to the WJC, where, depending on his performance, ironically, could have overshadowed Montoya, in which case the Rangers never pick him. That being said, they did call him up. Blackburn was a good goalie for a 18 year old kid in the NHL. I didn't think he was particularly strong technically. Maybe I was spoiled by watching Richter all those years, because Richter, until that time, had maybe the best post-to-post lateral movement I had ever seen. Blackburn was perhaps one of the worst in that regard. If I recall correctly, it was a very awkward motion for him, where he would lunge from one side to the other, but his body would be falling forward at like a 45 degree angle. He never could stay squared up with the shooter while going side to side, and almost always wound up laying flat on his face in the crease. Which was dreadful considering the group we had and how well they cleared the net from rebound seekers Anyway, with all that said, Lundqvist may be better than Richter side to side, I think he's probably the best I can think of. When guys at this level slump, all they have to fall back on is fundamentals, and I think Lundqvists' are extremely sound. So I think we'd have a backup in Blackburn, who would get the job done, but Lundqvist would have been starting by now. As for who we would have taken with the montoya pick, I prefer not to think about that.

It's very possibly Lundqvist beats Blackburn out. Having said that, even if Blackburn is the back-up it changes two things.

A. You're not paying a decent amount of money for a back-up goalie.

B. You can go out and get a kid like Olesz instead of focusing on a goalie.

As for Blackburn, I personally had no problem with him playing in the NHL. I had a big problem with HOW he was played in the NHL. Blackburn was one of those kids who falls into the cracks of the collective bargaining agreement. He had outgrown the WHL and I do believe even now that there was nothing for him to do down there. In an ideal world he was playing in the AHL (something a kid like Staal should be doing).

But I thought Blackburn did about as well as ANY 18 year is going to do with a team like the Rangers. Obviously he wasn't the finished product so he had work to do, but Blackburn was very much the real deal.

Old
01-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Pizza

Quote:

You sir, are a legend

Old
01-28-2007, 05:46 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?
Well in that scenario he would have been better able to leverage a deal with the Cilician pirates and fly recon over Crassus' eight legions. Better knowledge of the ground would have given Spartacus the edge he needed to defeat Crassus in the epic second battle

Old
01-28-2007, 07:36 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:

I really liked Cherneski too, not as much as I Liked Daniel Goneau though.. I thought he was gonna be the next coming of Gordie Howe.

GarretJoseph is online now   Reply With Quote