HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cup Contender???

Old
01-28-2007, 05:43 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLV View Post
Top four?? How about number one defenseman. They are FILLED with number 3 and 4 defensemen
That's the thing...we have so many 4-6 guys that the D could be significantly improved without adding a #1. basically adding a 2 and a 3 would make us significantly better, and would come at a much more affordable price.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:57 PM
bubba5

yes, we just need a second line center, not named forsberg, and 4 d-men, shouldnt be to tough to get, right?

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:36 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
ANY team that makes the playoffs and has a hot goalTENDER is a conTENDER
Good. Then the Rangers need trade for no one.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:39 PM
NYCLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
That's the thing...we have so many 4-6 guys that the D could be significantly improved without adding a #1. basically adding a 2 and a 3 would make us significantly better, and would come at a much more affordable price.

good point....but there is no CLEAR PP leader and offensive defenseman in the Rangers system.

NYCLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:33 PM
GarretJoseph*

WHEN and IF can we bring Staal up to play any games this year? Anybody know?

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
WHEN and IF can we bring Staal up to play any games this year? Anybody know?
When his junior season is over, including playoffs.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Is it the best idea to through Staal into the NHL post season (if the Rangers make it) without playing a single AHL game let alone NHL regular season game. I'm not saying it isnt, rather posing a question.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Good. Then the Rangers need trade for no one.
Yes they do. It's not healthy to have Marcel Hossa and Blair Betts as second line players. I do not care the cost it takes to get a player or two who actually deserves to play there. Just do it. Give me purge or give me playoffs. Mediocrity was 3-10 years ago.

Old
01-28-2007, 08:26 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Yes they do. It's not healthy to have Marcel Hossa and Blair Betts as second line players. I do not care the cost it takes to get a player or two who actually deserves to play there. Just do it. Give me purge or give me playoffs. Mediocrity was 3-10 years ago.

Well in order to get out of mediocrity you need to be patient, draft well, and let the kids work themselves up through the system. If we start dealing our young guys again we'll be right back where we started and be mediocre for another decade. We going in the right direction...it's just going to take a couple more years to get there.

Old
01-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Well in order to get out of mediocrity you need to be patient, draft well, and let the kids work themselves up through the system. If we start dealing our young guys again we'll be right back where we started and be mediocre for another decade. We going in the right direction...it's just going to take a couple more years to get there.
You really see us getting out of mediocrity with two stud goalies-one established, one not; an unproven franchise defenseman; a solid proven defenseman, Tyutin; a few unproven decent second liners aside from Prucha; and a plethora of prospect grinders? And a management team that has so far refused to integrate those youth ready?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:52 PM
dynamoovechkin

My kingdom for a defenseman who knows how to SHOOT! I know Roszival can score, and Tyutin has the skills, but the way our forwards are always going back to the D in the offensive zone, I'd just love for us to find a D-man who find the lanes and get some pucks to the net!

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
You really see us getting out of mediocrity with two stud goalies-one established, one not; an unproven franchise defenseman; a solid proven defenseman, Tyutin; a few unproven decent second liners aside from Prucha; and a plethora of prospect grinders? And a management team that has so far refused to integrate those youth ready?

It's a start. A decades worth of mistakes and misfortune can't be overcome overnight. As you said, we have two stud goalies...one of which could be dealt in a year or two for a very nice package after he shows what he's capable of in the NHL. As you also say, we have a solid young dman in Toots...but we also have a nice stable of d prospects in Staal, Sanguinetti, Sauer, and Baranka. On offense we have a number of guys who are capable of becoming 2nd or 3rd line mainstays. While it's true our system lacks the top flight 1st line offensive talent, we could always get that in FA or in a deal for Montoya down the road. I'm not against taking out the checkbook to obtain that offensive firepower, but the time has to be right and the future must be kept in mind when doing so.

The organization needs to keep planting the seeds and stick to the game plan. While it might sound sexy to deal some prospects and picks for a guy like Forsberg, it's definitely near sighted. That is EXACTLY the type of decision making that ensures we never escape mediocrity. For now we need to keep our draft picks and keep drafting well. We need to be thinking now about what the team is going to look like in 3 or 5 years. Only then will this team be a contender.

Old
01-28-2007, 09:08 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You can't win a cup with just offense and goaltending.... You're going to need a SOLID defense.... Ranger's so far from having one...

We've already waived 2 veteran defensemen this season and lord knows Rachunek isn't far behind.... Pretty sad when you think about it....
This is the new nhl now, though. Carolina didn't have a good defense last year when they won it all.

On topic: We don't need a guy like Forsberg who is too injury prone to make a trade for. Unless Philly wants our garbage like Malik or Hall.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Tyutin and Rozsival (when he's not being weighed down by Malik) are the best two D-men we have. Ward should be 3rd pairing at best. Pock actually plays well next to Rozsival, so ideally get a quality D-man to pair with Tyutin, put Pock and Rozsival together, put Malik and Rachunek in deals, and bring up Baranka to play next to Ward.
I agree--I really think all the people who keep bashing Roszival haven't been watching him this season. I was extremely critical of him last year, but if he continues to play the way he has this season he will have me sold--I'd even consider extending his contract beyond next season. He's not a #1 defenseman and he really shouldn't get as much powerplay time as he does, but he'd be a solid #2 or the mainstay of a solid second pair on just about any team if he continues to play this way consistantly.

And I do like your overall ideas for the defense, but let's get real here, Baranka will not be playing regularly come the playoffs.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:56 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I agree--I really think all the people who keep bashing Roszival haven't been watching him this season. I was extremely critical of him last year, but if he continues to play the way he has this season he will have me sold--I'd even consider extending his contract beyond next season. He's not a #1 defenseman and he really shouldn't get as much powerplay time as he does, but he'd be a solid #2 or the mainstay of a solid second pair on just about any team if he continues to play this way consistantly.

And I do like your overall ideas for the defense, but let's get real here, Baranka will not be playing regularly come the playoffs.
No, you're probably right about Baranka. They're saving that spot for Staal, right?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No, you're probably right about Baranka. They're saving that spot for Staal, right?
Oh yeah, too bad it's a little too dark for me to see the pigs flying past window!

Old
01-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Oh yeah, too bad it's a little too dark for me to see the pigs flying past window!

01-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Block More Shots

If we make the playoffs and go far, there's no doubt in my mind that Lundqvist will be the reason. We can make a deal for a defenseman but as a unit, our defense won't get stronger. There's just something missing from it from last year (Tom Poti ...haha) and unless there's a major adjustment made, it won't get too much better. In the playoffs, we'll probably depend on Lundqvist to stand on his head and hope to god that our offense puts up at least 2 or 3 goals a game.

Lundqvist has the ability to dominate and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the sole reason we win a round in the playoffs. You can talk about defense all you want but every team needs a goalie to make save after save for you. Ultimately, I believe that the key to winning the Cup is goaltending and we have a great one to help us do that.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
If we make the playoffs and go far, there's no doubt in my mind that Lundqvist will be the reason. We can make a deal for a defenseman but as a unit, our defense won't get stronger. There's just something missing from it from last year (Tom Poti ...haha) and unless there's a major adjustment made, it won't get too much better. In the playoffs, we'll probably depend on Lundqvist to stand on his head and hope to god that our offense puts up at least 2 or 3 goals a game.

Lundqvist has the ability to dominate and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the sole reason we win a round in the playoffs. You can talk about defense all you want but every team needs a goalie to make save after save for you. Ultimately, I believe that the key to winning the Cup is goaltending and we have a great one to help us do that.
What you say about goaltending in the playoffs is certainly true, but there is a lot more involved, starting with special teams. Without strong penalty killing and the ability to score consistantly on the power play even the best goaltender can't win it all. There is not one problem here. Maybe, getting one or two players (a center and a defenseman) will start a domino effect and solve most of them, but I don't think it's possible without fresh blood and a change in the mindset of the coaching staff. That's asking for a lot over the next 33 games.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I think there is NO WAY we can ever be considered a cup contender with Renney behind the bench. Thats my opinion.

Our roster is pretty close right now though, i honest and truly believe that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
What you say about goaltending in the playoffs is certainly true, but there is a lot more involved, starting with special teams. Without strong penalty killing and the ability to score consistantly on the power play even the best goaltender can't win it all. There is not one problem here. Maybe, getting one or two players (a center and a defenseman) will start a domino effect and solve most of them, but I don't think it's possible without fresh blood and a change in the mindset of the coaching staff. That's asking for a lot over the next 33 games.
If you watch the 94' cup run, the games were obviously more wide open and involved a lot of scoring chances. Watching Richter make brilliant save after brilliant save was great. I'm not knocking the defense back then because it was pretty solid (Leetch, Lowe, Beuk, Zubov, etc...) but they weren't exactly a shut-down type of defense. They played well but not well enough to shut a team down nearly every time they entered the offensive zone. It didn't matter what kind of mistake the defense made though, Richter always seemed to be there to bail them out and make the big saves. What I'm trying to say is that the Rangers defense makes some mistakes every now and then, but as long as Lundqvist plays at the top of his game EVERY game during the playoffs, the Rangers could make a deep run.

I know it seems unlikely to occur looking at out current situation, but it's definitely possible.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:35 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
I think there is NO WAY we can ever be considered a cup contender with Renney behind the bench. Thats my opinion.

Our roster is pretty close right now though, i honest and truly believe that.
I honestly think you're wrong and disagree on the Renney comment. Just look what the guy is working with..look at the players..We really dont have ANYONE outside of Shanny thats 2nd line material and Prucha can be a 2nd liner with a solid centermen. I guarantee you, once we get a forsberg..or someone close to his abilities and put prucha on the left side, he'll come through, Which is probably why the managament hasn't dealt him and probably wont.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

last year (off of memory)
Jagr 50 goals
Straka 20 goals
Nylander 20 goals
Prucha 30 goals
Cullen 25 goals
Hall 20 goals
Shanahan 40 goals

If im not mistaken, only Straka and Nylander are on pace to have similar, or better years.

Renneys been given a TON more that other coaches, and has performed pitifully.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:59 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
When his junior season is over, including playoffs.
Thanks.

I really wanna see him play a few games...

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:11 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
This defense is not AS BAD as most think. The inconsistant bugs need to be taken out

Rozsival-Pock
Tyutin-Ward
Girardi-VETERAN

That would give the team a SOLID top 6 that can take equal icetime during the game and then when crunch time comes:

VET-Ward
Rozsival-Tyutin

Brewer - Pock
Tyutin - Ward
Roszival - Girardi

Baranka + ev a new 5/6 defender by trade

Comers 2008 on D - Staal, Sanguinetti, Sauer + ev UFA (resign Brewer!!?),resign Pock...

Trade Malik, Hall and a lower pick + minor leaguer for E Brewer

Trade Rachunek/Orr for 2 picks or 5/6 defender

Trade Immonen, Ward and a conditional 1st/2nd + ev young guy (not Prucha, Anisimov, Staal, Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan, Montoya or anyone really promising) for Forsberg

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Forsberg-Shanny
Hossa-Cullen-Dawes
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

Reserves - Krog, Ibister, Callahan (in no specific order)

Comers 2008 on F - Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan, Korpikoski, a new UFA #1 C (Datsyuk?, Briere, Gomez)

Yeah - I know this will be hammered and trashed. But it is probably something close to what is coming soon...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote