HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Anyone know if the Button segment is available online?
Its not up yet, but should be up later tonight or tomorrow:

http://www.630ched.com/oilers-now/

Old
01-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Its not up yet, but should be up later tonight or tomorrow:

http://www.630ched.com/oilers-now/
It really wouldn't surprise me if there was a 'technical error' with the Button segment and it can't be uploaded.

Edit: or not. Thanks MrM.

Old
01-17-2014, 04:10 PM
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Anyone know if the Button segment is available online?
http://www.630ched.com/audio-vault/ Button interview is at 35 minute mark of 12 o clock hour.

Old
01-17-2014, 04:17 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I personally think Laviolette could do really well with this team. He favors an offensive system which I think some of our guys would thrive in. He likes physical play. He's taken two different teams deep into the playoffs, winning a cup with one. From everything I've seen, his management is quite good(though this far from concrete). I think he was a partial scapegoat in Philly (though the interim is doing really well).

His situation reminds me of when Joel Q was fired from the Avs and the Hawks hired him. IIRC, people were saying a fair number which made him a poor coach. Sometimes it's a matter of fit.
Coach Q was the best coach out there without a coaching job when the Hawks fired Savard. He had an up tempo system that fit in with the Hawks type of play, knew how to manage egos and had a record of winning.......I think you might be onto something. Clearly that means it has to be ignored by the Oilers brass lol

IIRC weren't Laviolette and MacTavish analysts for TSN at the same time?

Eakins can't manage his own ego, let alone the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Laviolette likes physical play?

The triforce of suck says next coach please

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Success at the NHL level is what i'm looking for so Laviolette would also be a guy I would look at.

Question is would MacT or Klowe? MacT was Wow'ed by his interview with Eakins so much so that he gave him a fat contract. Problem is they gravitate to the same guys because that is what they know and that is what they like. Other hockey guys know some stuff too, some more than MacT or Klowe but they'd never admit to it. Need a new vision, a new perspective on exactly what we have here.

How many times do you bring your car in to get repaired at the same shop before bringing it elsewhere and finding out you've been getting hosed by the scam artist?
Till they suck their way out of the lottery

Old
01-17-2014, 04:19 PM
MrM

Great part of the Button interview is how beaten down Bob Stauffer is. He literally has nothing to say, and when he tries to defend, Button interrupts him and makes another point that is indefensible. Love it.

Old
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
http://www.630ched.com/audio-vault/ Button interview is at 35 minute mark of 12 o clock hour.
Thank you sir.

Old
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Damn, I wonder how uncomfortable Stauffer was when Button starts ranting at 40:50.

He's bang on too.

Old
01-17-2014, 04:39 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Good interview. I agree with him that we should be getting the kids up for a few games when we can. Let them get a taste of it. No doubt they'll play with more passion than the current roster.

Old
01-17-2014, 04:43 PM
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Good interview. I agree with him that we should be getting the kids up for a few games when we can. Let them get a taste of it. No doubt they'll play with more passion than the current roster.
I like when he gets on the rant about 'what are we waiting for?' and 'the kids understand' parts.

What are we waiting for? Why play the games?

Old
01-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Anyone kind enough to recap for those of us unable to listen to Button? It would be much appreciated!

01-17-2014, 04:53 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Haha Button just gets pissed. Love it, maybe if we had that type of emotion in our game we wouldnt be where we are.

Old
01-17-2014, 05:03 PM
jbean

Definitely like Button more after hearing him let the Oilers have it. The Oilers, simply put, are the most spineless bunch in the NHL. From management on down. Katz for the love of the hockey gods, make some big changes, because this trainwreck isn't ending anytime soon.

Old
01-17-2014, 05:03 PM
redgrant

I hate how everyone talks about Eakins growing as a coach. WTF is this? Make a wish foundation?

If he cant do his job if he isnt ready hire someone who is.

There were half a dozen jack adams winners available at sometime in the past 12 months. Were any of them even interviewed?

Old
01-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrant View Post
I hate how everyone talks about Eakins growing as a coach. WTF is this? Make a wish foundation?

If he cant do his job if he isnt ready hire someone who is.

There were half a dozen jack adams winners available at sometime in the past 12 months. Were any of them even interviewed?
Bang on.

Old
01-17-2014, 05:12 PM
jbean

"Our core players are getting better" -- Dallas Eakins

Nuge - taken a step back from his rookie year
Eberle - significantly worse than two seasons ago
Gagner - significantly worse than his best playing days
Yakupov - is minus thirty on the season
J. Schultz - worse than his rookie season, porous defense
Dubnyk - traded for a bag of pucks because he was awful
Petry - in over his head
Ference - clearly not the answer to our defensive woes

Yup our core is looking great right now. Outside of Hall, Perron, and Gordon, pretty much every player on this team has taken significant steps backwards.

Old
01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
The Gagner Triangle? (This season's version of the Belanger Triangle)
So Gagner makes a bad play and then throws himself off the ice giving the other guys worse +/-? I agree that Gagner has struggled mightily this season but the amount of crap that gets pinned on him is just not fair.

Back on the topic of Eakins. Most coaches has strengths and weaknesses. And at the NHL level usually they have one area where they excell. Be it special teams, defensive/neutral zone D, forechecking, offensive systems, break out, individual coaching, player development, getting everyone to buy in and work hard every night, getting his/her team in absolute top end shape etc etc.

I'm still to see Eakins area of expertise. He initially came in selling himself as a no nonsense guy who would get his team to buy in and compete(compete, compete, compete, compete, compete) who was a players coach, said he would try to figure out what made every guy click to get everything out of each player. There also was a big deal made of his success developing guys in Toronto. And ofc the focus on fitness.
The big question marks were if he had the tactical acumen to implement a good system. The buzz said he played an offensive system that was very entertaining with focus on puck possesion, but he certainly wasn't sold as a system coach.
His special teams for the Marlies showed off a good PK and a terrible to bad PP. What stood out was his teams ability to score shorthanded.

Since he's joined the Oilers none of his strengths has translated to NHL hockey and his question marks has turned into facepalms.

Let's look at the supposed strengths.

The team is clearly not buying in. There are claims they work hard after every game but let's face it, the team gets outworked and outskated more often than not. The compete and accountability that was preached before the season has turned into a big fat nothing.

The great players' coach has turned Yakupov's joy and energy into a guy with absolutely zero confidence. He's turned Hall into a guy who just doesn't care. Eberle is more entitled than ever. RNH looks more and more like he's a kid among men, no gusto whatsoever.

Development has been going backwards for pretty much every player on the team. If I'm reaching for straws I'd say Justin Schultz has looked slightly better in our zone as the season has progressed, going from utter crap to just terribad. Hemsky looks more invested than last season but I'd say it's the Olympics doing that.

Fitness levels aren't very impressive either. We've come out very flat for a lot of back to backs. Could ofc be due to us chasing the puck a lot every game but it sure doesn't look like a team full of players in the shape of their life. Fitness is tricky to change in one season so I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

And the question marks.

Tactically we're a mess. A complete ****ing mess. There has been ZERO consistent system play offensively, neither off the rush or when we set up o-zone plays. I'm still not sure what his tactical ideas are. Initially we had some decent forechecking causing turnovers but for the last while we've backed off more and more. Our D-zone structure is a disaster, the coverage is a joke and our pressure in the neutral zone is mediocre at best.

You could see at the start of the season how his aggressive PK could get a team SHGs, sadly it caused players to run out of position and the team bled goals. Now the PK sits back more and isn't as focused at gaining the puck, it's still pretty bad though. The PP looks as bad as advertised, the occasional goal scored is usually due to individual efforts and not smartly set up plays. The zone entries are all over the place. He also won't have the most efficient PP scorer on PP1 and when he's on PP2 he's not really being used properly.

I realize a lot of this is on the players as well, I've said it before this group of players are a real bunch of career killers to a coach, but we should be able to see at least something semi-decent in some area.

My biggest issue is his mishandling of the players. They just don't seem to be playing for each other nor their coach.

Old
01-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Soundwave

Haha, holy **** Button is like a breath of fresh air. More passion than anyone on our coaching staff and gutless management.

Can we hire him? lol.

Last edited by Soundwave: 01-17-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old
01-17-2014, 05:23 PM
OiledUp

Another thing I thought about when I heard some players comment how they had a great bunch of coaches down in OKC. Nelson and his staff always gets praise from his players.
How often have the Oiler players commented on how we have a great bunch of coaches on the team? There was some mentioning how Eakins was a passionate guy who seemed to now what he wanted at the start of the season but very little (if anything) since. Krueger had a losing record but still had players saying he was a good coach. I can't remember any players commenting on how much they've learned from Smith and Buchy.

Nelson has a losing record as well this season, still his players gives him and his crew a lot of praise and have done during his whole tenure there. Even our spoiled child stars have given praise to Nelson.

To me it says something when the players don't even make polite comments about the coach knowing what he's doing.

Old
01-17-2014, 05:28 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Anyone kind enough to recap for those of us unable to listen to Button? It would be much appreciated!
Button basically dressed down the Oilers management for doing nothing but staring at the clock and counting the minutes until the end of the season, while doing nothing to prep for next year. He wants them to give things a try, to experiment, because they need to stay enthusiastic for the next season and also not waste the time they have, since it's not going towards anything else (like playoffs).

It gets really good when he goes off on Dallas Eakins, saying he'd done nothing at all, and when Stauffer tries to defend him, saying "oh, well he tried to implement this and that, but he said that some players don't understand x system or how to play it".

Button then smashes Eakins, saying it's his job to make sure that they understand it, and that they either DO understand it and it doesn't work or that Eakins is a bad teacher because it's HIS job to make sure the kids get it.

Bob eventually just goes along with it and sounds like he's uncomfortably agreeing.

Last edited by JoeCool16: 01-17-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old
01-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Lindo

Normally I laugh at 90% of whatever Craig Button says but he's absolutely right about the comment about 'if they don't know it or can't understand basic defense, then get them to understand, that's your job' (paraphrasing quite a bit here).

I like Eakins, but I am quickly loosing faith.

Old
01-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
So Gagner makes a bad play and then throws himself off the ice giving the other guys worse +/-? I agree that Gagner has struggled mightily this season but the amount of crap that gets pinned on him is just not fair.
My Gagner Triangle post was a more tongue in cheek sarcastic post. But I don't think I'm too far off in thinking that whatever line Gagner has played on this season has been pretty brutal.. hence my post. (It has nothing to do with him getting off the ice and give others a worse +/-)

Old
01-17-2014, 05:31 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Another thing I thought about when I heard some players comment how they had a great bunch of coaches down in OKC. Nelson and his staff always gets praise from his players.
How often have the Oiler players commented on how we have a great bunch of coaches on the team? There was some mentioning how Eakins was a passionate guy who seemed to now what he wanted at the start of the season but very little (if anything) since. Krueger had a losing record but still had players saying he was a good coach. I can't remember any players commenting on how much they've learned from Smith and Buchy.

Nelson has a losing record as well this season, still his players gives him and his crew a lot of praise and have done during his whole tenure there. Even our spoiled child stars have given praise to Nelson.

To me it says something when the players don't even make polite comments about the coach knowing what he's doing.
At the risk of looking hypocritical I'm going to agree with your point about nobody praising Eakins but honestly imo Nelson doesn't deserve praise himself. If his players want to praise him for being a good players coach or he's a likable guy, then fine. The fact remains that he's developed a total of 0 NHL players the Oilers drafted past the 1st round. Marincin imo is close. Maybe that changes soon but as of right now, this guy has done nothing.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Breakawaycup
Rookie User

I don't necessarily agree with a lot of what button had to say, I get the feeling he hasn't followed the oilers very closely. Eakins and the team are a work in progress, we knew this coming into the season. Even though it doesn't show up in the stats, our team defense I showing signs of improving. It's hard to change the culture of a team that lacks true leaders, MacT however is doing a good job at addressing this issue. It will take time for him to bring in leadership and grit for Eakins to work with and until then everything is just apart of the process.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakawaycup View Post
I don't necessarily agree with a lot of what button had to say, I get the feeling he hasn't followed the oilers very closely. Eakins and the team are a work in progress, we knew this coming into the season. Even though it doesn't show up in the stats, our team defense I showing signs of improving. It's hard to change the culture of a team that lacks true leaders, MacT however is doing a good job at addressing this issue. It will take time for him to bring in leadership and grit for Eakins to work with and until then everything is just apart of the process.

Get a clue.

Button was spot on.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakawaycup View Post
This team is not improving. It is imploding. This is the worst point in the history of the franchise and the future, at best, looks very bleak. Yet no one in management will ever be held accountable.

Eakins was ill prepared for this disaster, and simply doesn't have the tools to deal with it. The next two years are going to be a nightmare!

Closed Thread