HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Ways to Play a 1v1

Old
01-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

vCash: 50
Best Ways to Play a 1v1

What are your guys best strategy for a 1 on 1 break? I'm talking both with the puck and without. I just started skating out after years of playing between the pipes and I'm in need of some advice.

On defense - I've been keeping my eyes mainly focused on the guys chest, trying to stay as square to him as I can. I also try to keep the puck in my periphery and occasionally glance at his eyes to see if I can guess his move. Is this the right way to do it?

As for offense. I've seen statues with better hands than me right now, so I really need to work on my stickhandling for the time being.

So yeah, let's discuss some 1v1 tactics for the noobs like me.

I did a search and couldn't find anything, so if this is a repost please delete.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 01-14-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: language
Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Onetimersniper28

vCash: 500
On offense :
1- If the opponent is a poor skater, skate past him to go on a breakaway.
2-If the opponent is nervous and tries to poke check you at all cost, dangle all you can. You mentioned that you don't have good hands, but just about anyone can dangle. If he tries to poke check you, put it under his stick, protect the puck and move on.
3-If the opponent backs up a lot and/or has his legs wide open, simply shoot and get to the rebound first.

Defensively :
Keep him at a stick length and force him to go towards the outside (boards), with your stick out in front to prevent him from shooting and deking. Always let him do the first move, and react accordingly. Most of the time, the other defenseman or the center will back check hard enough to steal the puck.

That's just my way of doing things.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Missionhockey

As a forward, if the d is giving you space you might want to try and use the defenseman as a screen.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Nibbler

On offense, I sometimes try to catch the dman crossing over. Get him moving to your right or left, then cut to the middle and turn on the burners. If you can't get clear of him, then you probably at least cleared a path for a shot on net instead of a shot into his shin pads.

If I can't shake the dman then I usually try to keep backing him up until I'm close enough to use him as a screen on the goalie, then watch for the rebound.

Last edited by Nibbler: 01-16-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Coachtdoig

Off -- Making sure you don't turn the puck over is probably the most important thing, giving them an odd man rush back the other way. I like all the things everyone has been saying previously. Use your speed to try and turn the d-man then cut back the other way. Or if you have a step on him by going wide, take it right to the net and that will cause some havoc.

Def -- Everything you said is a great way to play a one on one. I would just add trying to match the speed of the opponent. That will help to keep a good gap (stick length away) so that you can get your stick in the way if he tries to shoot but you also give yourself enough room to adapt to whatever he decides to do (ie. Drive wide, Cut back)

Hope that helps

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Defense:Stick length, he can only do 1 of 3 things, go left, go right or go through you. My mentality was if he tries to go through me I'm gonna light the guy up, non checking league or not because you have to pay a price if you want to play fancy and try to make me look bad. Match the guys speed, force him to his back hand first and foremost, force him wide so the goalie only has to worry about short side coverage and use your stick. Put it in his hands, then when he goes to shoot put it right in front of the puck and it will usually go out of play.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 08:09 AM
mzm119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Most of the time, the other defenseman or the center will back check hard enough to steal the puck.

I must be playing in way different beer leagues, haha

mzm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzm119 View Post
I must be playing in way different beer leagues, haha
I don't play in a beer league, that's why
If I didn't back check hard enough as a forward, my coach would yell at me.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote