HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peterson

Old
01-27-2007, 11:46 PM
westcory

vCash: 500
Peterson

What did this guy do for Mact that he gets to play after the third goal? The guy was beaten back buy Mat Greene and Lupul! It was a damn 3 on 1 and your coasting back to our end and your the fastest guy on the team.....This line is just a bunch of P*&&Ys. Nedved is defenatley better off in the rafters....What is MacT doing? Anybody?

On another negative note Horc has no fing finish. Smyth and Hemmer are giving him great look after great look.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Raoul Duke*

Toby is also the guy who thought he was about to beat Kopitar to a loose puck, and lose miserably, out of position, the Kings went back and dominated for a good minute on end all due to Kopitar and his elite ability.

Sure they didn't score on it, but my God, the Oilers got lucky. If you see the guy you're racing to the puck when your name is Toby Peterson and his name is Anze freaking Kopitar, back off for a second, and start thinking defense.

This guy is a horrid Oiler. No hockey sense, and no matter if he did have it - he doesn't have the talent to back it up.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Toby Petersen is the least skilled player currently playing in the NHL.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Spawn

Why the hell are you making a thread on every though you have about this game, there is a GDT for a reason, post your thoughts in there, don't create a thread about how crappy a player was on a certain goal.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Raoul Duke*

because his brutal play transcends any GDT. We can say the same thing in every one of your precious GDTs.... Why so anal about it?

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Ranford#30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
because his brutal play transcends any GDT. We can say the same thing in every one of your precious GDTs.... Why so anal about it?
Agreed, people need to loosen up here.

Peterson does not warrant a roster spot at this point. Winchester should be inserted in his sted.

Ranford#30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranford#30 View Post
Agreed, people need to loosen up here.

Peterson does not warrant a roster spot at this point. Winchester should be inserted in his sted.
Winchester is 10X the player that Toby is, and that's not pimping Winchester either.

01-28-2007, 01:11 AM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Toby Petersen is the least skilled player currently playing in the NHL.
I take it you haven't seen George Parros play.

Derek Boogaard either.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:15 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretzky View Post
I take it you haven't seen George Parros play.

Derek Boogaard either.
No counting those two, Belak, Laraque and anyone else, he has the least amount of skill.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Rin

Let's see here...Tonight, Petersen played 16:39...and in those minutes he played :52PP, 2:03 PK, and the remaining 13:44 were ES (obviously). In those minutes, he had 2 shots on goal, 2 hits, and 2 take aways, and ZERO give aways (one of 6 oilers that had 0). Sykora played about 15 seconds less 2 mins were PP and 0 PK...Both were a -1 on the night, both had 2 shots on goal, BUT sykora had 2 giveaways, 0 hits, and 0 take aways.

So with those stupid little stats...you compare (in this one game) a player that is 2nd on this team in scoring (first until Smyth passed him tonight) and a guy that has "no talent". So is Petersen really that bad? Is he really hurting the team by playing his 16 minutes a night? Yes he might not be scoring, but half this team isn't scoring. Petersen does not get looked upon to bring an offensive threat every night. I'd say, for what it's worth...Petersen does what he is asked of and more. For for less than half a million, I can't complain.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:57 AM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Let's see here...Tonight, Petersen played 16:39...and in those minutes he played :52PP, 2:03 PK, and the remaining 13:44 were ES (obviously). In those minutes, he had 2 shots on goal, 2 hits, and 2 take aways, and ZERO give aways (one of 6 oilers that had 0). Sykora played about 15 seconds less 2 mins were PP and 0 PK...Both were a -1 on the night, both had 2 shots on goal, BUT sykora had 2 giveaways, 0 hits, and 0 take aways.

So with those stupid little stats...you compare (in this one game) a player that is 2nd on this team in scoring (first until Smyth passed him tonight) and a guy that has "no talent". So is Petersen really that bad? Is he really hurting the team by playing his 16 minutes a night? Yes he might not be scoring, but half this team isn't scoring. Petersen does not get looked upon to bring an offensive threat every night. I'd say, for what it's worth...Petersen does what he is asked of and more. For for less than half a million, I can't complain.
Stats mean nothing in comparison to his skill (which is very little), and while he may be good defensively it would be nice him cash in on a few chances and step up his offense game a bit.

I really think Nedved or Brodziak esspecially would be better suited in the line-up over him.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:09 AM
Cerebral

Petersen hasn't been particularly good or bad, he's just the most obvious target at the moment to pick on. We definitely need someone to step into a top 6 role though, I can agree that Petersen shouldn't be playing on a scoring line.

01-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
Stats mean nothing in comparison to his skill (which is very little), and while he may be good defensively it would be nice him cash in on a few chances and step up his offense game a bit.

I really think Nedved or Brodziak esspecially would be better suited in the line-up over him.

Because Nedved is cashing in on alot of his chances right?

Old
01-28-2007, 12:39 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Because Nedved is cashing in on alot of his chances right?
Sorry Rin, love you and all, but you're wrong here. Nedved at least has the potential to score.

When Peterson actually hits an open net, I am shocked. I am so used to him missing golden chances, that when he scores it actually surprises me. He may hands of gold for the AHL, but he absolutely can't convert at the NHL level. I would not cry one bit if he never dressed as an Oiler again.

I'd prefer to trade/waive/bench Toby and give Brodziak a shot until Moreau gets back. Toby has been given every chance under the sun and can't do anything around the net. He may have a career as a 4th line/PKer, but he will never be an offensive player in the NHL and we should stop trying to use him as such.

01-28-2007, 12:45 PM
westcory

Quote:

Yeah your stats are great but you have to skate hard and have some skill......He can't get the puck out of his zone, backchecks like he has a piano tied to his a&& which turned the 2 on 1 into a 3 on 1 for the third goal......horrible.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Petersen hasn't been particularly good or bad, he's just the most obvious target at the moment to pick on. We definitely need someone to step into a top 6 role though, I can agree that Petersen shouldn't be playing on a scoring line.
I agree, I didn't think Peterson was that bad outside of that lazy backcheck. He should not be playing on the powerplay, ever. I actually think he's pretty good at getting the puck out of his own zone, although most look to be disagreeing with me on that one. He has no business being on a scoring line and I'd rather see Winchester in the lineup but having Toby in a fourth line role wouldn't bother me. It's when he's playing 16 minutes a game in all situations that makes me wonder.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:09 PM
HotToddy

I hate posts like these. Let’s make Toby a whipping boy for the Oiler woes because he’s not a “top 20” Oiler prospect or household name.

Toby is in the lineup because the Oiler depth is so you putrid Mac t has little choice. The Oilers refused to add any cheap veteran help to the 10-14 forward spots and instead chose to give the kids a chance. Well the kids sucked and the Oilers have lost three pretty good defensive players (Peca, Dvorak and Ethan) and replaced them with 3 not so good defensive players (Nedved, Sykora and Lupul).

What Mac T supposed to do?? Triple shift Stoll and Horcoff every game? Torres and Hemsky aren’t defensive minded players either so without Toby he’s left with Horc, Pisani, Stoll, Reasoner (who had has contributed about as much as Toby if your looking for a proper scape goat) and Smyth to carry the defensive burden.

Winchester who supposedly has 10 times the talent also has about one half the heart. Bring you’re A game or at least your B game on most nights Winny and Mac T will give you ice time.

Nedved scored in his 1st game on a gimme PP rebound and has one assist since and an embarrassing 8 shots.

Toby right now brings the same level of offence as Nedved and is more effective in other facets of the game.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:40 PM
mvprimate

Come on, nedved has been finishing his checks and working hard on the forecheck. It is not his fault that sykora is on his line and avoids the boards.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:47 PM
OilerNut*

Last year everyone was railing on Harvey and now this year it is Peterson. Just face it there will always be 4th line type players on the team. Doesn't make sense to have a $1-$2 million 4th liner.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:48 PM
STAZE

Toby is:

1.) Rather slow for a man of his size

2.) Week along the boards, he never wins a battle for the puck

3.) Coast to much in his own end and is out of position quite often which leads to him becoming a chaser

4.) Out of place on the PK and he does not have an active stick

5.) It is rare that I see him complete a clean pass

Hard to believe that a prospect like Brodziak would not be more of an asset to this club than that of Toby.

STAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:51 PM
mvprimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Last year everyone was railing on Harvey and now this year it is Peterson. Just face it there will always be 4th line type players on the team. Doesn't make sense to have a $1-$2 million 4th liner.
Yes, but peterson has not been playing a fourth line role. He has been getting a lot of minutes on scoring lines this season even though he has the offensive skill of corey cross.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
I don't get MacT's love affair with Toby. Sure he's a 'safe' player but the guy misses so many point blank chances and when he does make defensive gaffes they almost always end up in the back of the net. I would rather have Brodziak playing back there... at least he's busting his ass to get here and has some potential to score.

I wish we had the whole story of Nedved and MacT. Something happened cause I really thought that Petr was one of the stronger players in the SJ game (I know that's not saying much). If Hemsky would have played the way he did last night in the SJ game, the Czech Mates line would have been much better. Having said that, I hope MacT keeps the SHH line together, they were unbelievable last night.

01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
I hate posts like these. Let’s make Toby a whipping boy for the Oiler woes because he’s not a “top 20” Oiler prospect or household name.

Toby is in the lineup because the Oiler depth is so you putrid Mac t has little choice.
Winchester who supposedly has 10 times the talent also has about one half the heart. Bring you’re A game or at least your B game on most nights Winny and Mac T will give you ice time.
Winchester at least has a shot, and can bing a physical game every now and then. Petersen is small, very limited offensively, and let's be honest he belongs in the AHL. Tell me why he should be here over Brodziak who has busted his tail all year long, also plays well on the PK and can get the job done at ES. Not to mention he's much younger and could have a future beyond this season with the team.

There was also a comment about not having a $1 million 4th liner, why not??? If that player can allow us to roll the 4th line with regularity and even chip in offensively, IMO that player is a very valuable player and worth every penny of his $1 million contract. Until we can lure a big-name elite talent as an UFA, we can afford to pay bigger $ to our bottom 6 as long as they contribute to wins instead of just not screwing up like Petersen. We need to develop offensive players through our org, it's our only hope of keeping our cap numbers down.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Tyrolean

Petersen should be released from the team if possible. Pretty useless in almost all situations. I agree Nedved or Winchester is a better choice in the lineup.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Sorry Rin, love you and all, but you're wrong here. Nedved at least has the potential to score.

When Peterson actually hits an open net, I am shocked. I am so used to him missing golden chances, that when he scores it actually surprises me. He may hands of gold for the AHL, but he absolutely can't convert at the NHL level. I would not cry one bit if he never dressed as an Oiler again.

I'd prefer to trade/waive/bench Toby and give Brodziak a shot until Moreau gets back. Toby has been given every chance under the sun and can't do anything around the net. He may have a career as a 4th line/PKer, but he will never be an offensive player in the NHL and we should stop trying to use him as such.
Yes he may have more potential to score, but like Petersen...he isn't. He has loads more potential than Petersen yet they both have the same amount of goals (2). Nedved is a -21, Petersen is a -6 (I know thats a stupid stat, but still..) Nedved only has 4 points more than Petersen. Sure he has the potential to get more points, but right now he isnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
Yeah your stats are great but you have to skate hard and have some skill......He can't get the puck out of his zone, backchecks like he has a piano tied to his a&& which turned the 2 on 1 into a 3 on 1 for the third goal......horrible.

So he made a mistake which lead to a goal, who hasn't? Can you think of at least 3 more other times that he has screwed up big and resulted in a goal? 3 times is all i ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post

If you were referring to Petersen, he makes less than half a million dollars (i believe he makes around .450mill)