HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Team Toughness II

Old
01-14-2014, 02:32 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
People aren't understanding what, at least I, am saying. I am calling Carcillo or Dorsett a better player than Boyle. I like Brian for what he is. What I am thinking is to move Boyle for an asset (as I don't believe he will resign for cheap) and let those other (2) play. They aren't bad 4th liners either and the drop off is not that great.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Boyle is quite possibly the toughest player on the team.

He is willing to stick up for his team. He just can't fight.

But that isn't really a knock in my opinion. I'd rather a guy who is one of the best Pk'ers in the league than a goon
Do you even rastle, bro?

Old
01-14-2014, 02:34 PM
slipknottin

Carcillo is a better player than Boyle?

Lmfaoooo

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Carcillo is a better player than Boyle?

Lmfaoooo
While I understand Boyle's limitations. I'm often struck by just how bad a player people believe him to be.

There are reasons he's played over 300 games for us.

People get caught up in their emotions when it comes to this player and fail to see why two coaches have kept him in the lineup.

He's probably one of the worst fighters I've ever seen at the NHL. Maybe the worst. But he's a solid reliable player who does enough of the little things 5 on 5 and on the PK that earn a coaches confidence.

He absolutely does stick up for his mates. But he folds about as bad as any NHLer I've ever seen as soon as the gloves drop.

It's nothing new for hockey fans. Big guy who can't fight = soft/hated.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:24 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
While I understand Boyle's limitations. I'm often struck by just how bad a player people believe him to be.

People get caught up in their emotions when it comes to this player and fail to see why two coaches have kept him in the lineup.

He's probably one of the worst fighters I've ever seen at the NHL. Maybe the worst. But he's a solid reliable player who does enough of the little things 5 on 5 and on the PK that earn a coaches confidence.

He absolutely does stick up for his mates. But he folds about as bad as any NHLer I've ever seen as soon as the gloves drop.

No no no....it's big IRISH guy who can't fight=soft/hated. haha

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

vCash: 130
Wow, Boyle annihilating Hedman was probably the softest annihilation I have ever seen.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 06:43 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Get a clue...Hedman lost an edge genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Wow, Boyle annihilating Hedman was probably the softest annihilation I have ever seen.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:44 AM
DekeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I don't think his play will continue. He's a dirty player, and one who's prone to dumb penalties. Yes, he's an agitator, yes it was nice watching the flyers chase him around the rink, but I don't expect that to continue.

His effectiveness will dovetail, he'll get his face punched in a few more times, and I'll be thrilled to see him retire after being assigned to Hartford.

He's a stopgap while Dorsset is out. His "shiny new toy" popularity will wane with his first game costing penalty.
Everyone takes costly penalties.

Most of these discussions are stated that IF Carcillo can keep up his level of play. IF he can, then on THIS team, it is more effective to have him and Dorsett in the lineup, as opposed to both Moore and Boyle. No team needs to have 2 4th line centers playing at the same time.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 02:49 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Watching the Ott feed and they just trolled the Rangers...When Conacher bumped Cam behind the net they said that usually results in a penalty or a punch in the face either or...Most NHL teams would give u a punch in the face...most..they said...disgusting

Old
01-18-2014, 02:56 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Watching the Ott feed and they just trolled the Rangers...When Conacher bumped Cam behind the net they said that usually results in a penalty or a punch in the face either or...Most NHL teams would give u a punch in the face...most..they said...disgusting
Yeah, I'm so glad they showed Neil earlier after he hit Moore. It was nice to spend two minutes on the PK.

With the way these referees are calling the game a "punch in the face" would have been detrimental, not helpful.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 02:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Paradox View Post
Yeah, I'm so glad they showed Neil earlier after he hit Moore. It was nice to spend two minutes on the PK.

With the way these referees are calling the game a "punch in the face" would have been detrimental, not helpful.
Yes, allowing players to run your goalie isn't worth the 2 minute PK they killed off...Open season on Ranger goalies!

Old
01-18-2014, 02:59 PM
I Am Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
It was a one-goal game then and we had just taken a retaliation penalty after a much worse hit. Sure the Sens will be happy they're "trolling" us though

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 03:04 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Yes, allowing players to run your goalie isn't worth the 2 minute PK they killed off...Open season on Ranger goalies!
Assuming that a "punch in the face" during the middle of play would have only resulted in a two minute penalty is rather short-sighted. I was referencing to the two minute penalty that was taken to retaliate against Neal.

While it is not usually of the magnitude of what Conacher did, goalies get run/snowed nearly every game. The players who are responsible for running the goalie are pushed down and roughed up. The very next game they will do it again, that's just the nature of the game.

Do I think the Rangers lack toughness? Sure. Does this mean that they should petulantly try to act tough and "punch [players] in the face" and take penalties in a close game? Absolutely not. If a team is going to be stupid and use their "toughness" in a detrimental manner, then it is utterly useless. If you're going to be tactful and understand when it is appropriate to step in and take a penalty then it is indeed very useful.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Assuming that a "punch in the face" during the middle of play would have only resulted in a two minute penalty is rather short-sighted. I was referencing to the two minute penalty that was taken to retaliate against Neal.

While it is not usually of the magnitude of what Conacher did, goalies get run/snowed nearly every game. The players who are responsible for running the goalie are pushed down and roughed up. The very next game they will do it again, that's just the nature of the game.

Do I think the Rangers lack toughness? Sure. Does this mean that they should petulantly try to act tough and "punch [players] in the face" and take penalties in a close game? Absolutely not. If a team is going to be stupid and use their "toughness" in a detrimental manner, then it is utterly useless. If you're going to be tactful and understand when it is appropriate to step in and take a penalty then it is indeed very useful.
No one confronted him at all. Enough said.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:09 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

That's the sickening part nobody said boo to him and lets be real here..when a team runs a goalie and theres a scrum 90% of the time the refs even it out..

Old
01-18-2014, 03:13 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
No one confronted him at all. Enough said.
While "confronting" a player is different than punching him in the face, I completely agree with you. It's very disappointing to see a play like that go unnoticed by the Ranger's skaters.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
While "confronting" a player is different than punching him in the face, I completely agree with you. It's very disappointing to see a play like that go unnoticed by the Ranger's skaters.
I never called for a punch in the face...

Old
01-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
It's been going on for quite a few seasons now.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 03:23 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
It's been going on for quite a few seasons now.
It's just been this season and last. Torts tried to keep some toughness but Bickel couldn't cut it after the lockout ended.

The problem is one of Boyle and Moore should be playing. The 4th line LW spot should go to someone who can hit and scrap at more than a middleweight level.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 03:26 PM
The Perfect Paradox

EDIT-Double post

Old
01-18-2014, 03:33 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
I never called for a punch in the face...
I know you didn't. That was why I criticized Surf's post in the first place (to point out the absursity of taking toughness to a level which puts you on the PK).

Old
01-18-2014, 04:12 PM
egelband

i'd take a pk or ten...if it meant sending a message that the team wouldn't tolerate garbage...

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Rust Heisenberg

If we were able to get someone like Curtis Glencross on this team, it would do wonders.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Mint

Quote:

Outstanding post.

This 'toughness' issue is way overblown. The Rangers are probably a top 10 team in terms of toughness.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote