HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #27

Old
01-28-2007, 12:47 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #27

EDMONTON OILERS 4

VS.

LOS ANGELES KINGS 3
----------------------------------------------

Yes, we won, that’s tremendous, but it wasn’t by 7 and I wouldn’t be happy…BUT, I FINALLY HAVE PROOF!

I think we’d all agree that Smyth had an awesome game yes? He had FIVE giveaways as per the stat sheet…that stat is BULL! If anything a high total usually says a guy was on and had the puck a bunch!

I just realized that I had that piece of evidence and it made me tremendously happy! So let’s have a good report…

One line carried our game tonight…that’s good and bad. You can look at it as the big guys carrying the team after being put back together by MacTavish or you can look at it as everyone else not pulling their weight. I like to have it all, so we’re going to discuss both as we go along.

A minor issue…we appear to have a new Canadian flag in the building…and it has black outlines on the flag for some reason…needless to say that doesn’t fit the official requirements for our flag…me and #2 were a little bit miffed at that.

Player Report time….
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pisani-Stoll-Torres
-Time to break these guys apart…well, at least one guy. Torres doesn’t deserve to play with these guys right now. Not only is he generating nothing offensively, he isn’t even being physical out there. Toby Petersen and Petr Nedved have out-hit him the last couple games…that’s completely unacceptable when he’s not producing offensively. He contributed nothing tonight. Stoll had a couple chances, including another break-in alone, but wasn’t as effective as he’s been over the past 20 for sure. At least he was 12-and-5 on the draw…probably woulda got a point if we’d had a decent number of PP’s. Pisani was fairly solid, had his chances and played alright positionally. Needs to convert though.

Lupul-Petersen-Sykora
-Umm, I guess these guys were okay. Sykora and Lupul were having some serious passing issues…and a line isn’t going to be too good when Toby is going to be relied on as the puck-carrier…it’s just not going to work. Lupul passed up a great chance in the third…and I mean, Toby did get robbed but if Joffrey was confident at all he’s cashing that. The guy is a shooter not a passer, a sniper in fact. He should start acting like it. Petr’s problems as of late are well-documented…he needs a combo like Nedved-Pisani to play with but I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Not sure how well he’ll do for the rest of the season…maybe he’s just in a really big lull and we’ll catch fire again. Toby stepped in and played fine. Not much to say but that.

Stortini-Reasoner-Thoresen
-Marty gave solid guidance to the two young guys and played solid on the PK. I really like having Stortini around…and happen to think he still might turn into a decent hockey player. He can dig, and knows to go to the net and simply do his job. He jawed Avery the first time they were together and we didn’t see anything outta that twerp all night. I like it! Thoresen was quick but still hasn’t found his offensive stride again.

Staios-Smid
-SO relieved that Staios is back. I really hope he’s 100% because we need him so badly. For his first game back he was quite good and actually made a couple nice offensive plays tonight too. Smid had one of his exceptional rushes again tonight but again didn’t seem to have anyone to go to with the puck. I really liked it when these guys played with Hemsky’s line.

Smith-Hejda
-I still hate this pair with a passion, but I guess they must have had a decent enough game tonight. There were still missed passes and other errors, but Jason Smith actually laid the body a couple times and Hejda was a little better with the puck so I guess I’ll take it.

Greene-Bergeron
-Matt Greene’s play really hasn’t been the same over the last 10 games. Tonight again he made a bad choice that led directly to an LA goal. He’s just not being as decisive out there. At least he remains physical, though he’s stopped getting the man or the puck every time on pinches…something he’d really really improved on this year. Bergeron was okay, but just okay. He was a little iffy on the puck tonight, but balanced that out with some solid passes and good choices when it comes to jumping into the play.

Markkanen
-Jussi was excellent. He was controlled, focused, and played the puck well too! Tremendous saves, specifically his toe-stop on the 2-on-1. It’s distinctly possible you start him next game.

AND THE BEST FOR LAST

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
-Maybe they’re just meant to play together…I don’t know. MacTavish puts em back together, they each score a goal with the others getting assist and we’re off to the races. Smyth scores a completely typical Smyth goal for his second and then JUST misses getting the hat and giving him and Ales five-point nights. They won the game plain and simple. They carried a ton of the play. They were in the opposition zone ALL THE TIME. They won the battles, made the plays, converted the chances…they did everything and coulda had more. It was spectacular. Hemsky carried the puck and made the plays including a couple great reads off the rush…Horcoff knew where to be and made good puck choices, and Smyth was doing what he does best, plain and simple. Each goal was the result of these guys just being in the groove and flying all night. If they’d actually had some powerplays who knows what they could’ve put up…it may have been a record night out there. I guess they stay together now and get the hell played out of them don’t they? MacTavish finally figured out that he could keep sending them out tonight and it worked awesomely. Now we just need Stoll’s line to get going…
-----------------------------------------------

Why can’t we buy a PP lately?? Seriously…

I really hope they keep Stortini up for a while…if he really did make a difference against Avery tonight, we could use that kind of difference. If that line is gonna have a guy playing 5-a-night on it anyway, might as well be him.

BTW-Just caught McGoo waving off another goal like a reject on the NHL network…never ceases to disgust me.

Anyway, I think I’ll leave it a that…WE WON!

LMHF#1 out.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
A minor issue…we appear to have a new Canadian flag in the building…
Who cares that there was a new flag in the building. We won! This new flag may be the new good luck charm. Streak = 1 win in a row

Oilersyul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:59 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny08 View Post
Who cares that there was a new flag in the building. We won! This new flag may be the new good luck charm. Streak = 1 win in a row
Nope, it was around last game.

And the issue was the black outlines.

Old
01-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
Nope, it was around last game.

And the issue was the black outlines.
Ya I realize that. But who cares about a flag, dude. This is supposed to be a hockey forum not a political forum...

Oilersyul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:03 AM
vb

Quote:
Smith-Hejda
-I still hate this pair with a passion, but I guess they must have had a decent enough game tonight. There were still missed passes and other errors, but Jason Smith actually laid the body a couple times and Hejda was a little better with the puck so I guess I’ll take it.
Pretty much agreed with all parts, except this one.

These guys were the strength of our D tonight IMO. Hejda knocked the puck off Kopitar's stick at least 3 times tonight while he was taking it wide. He also tipped Frolov's shot headed to the empty goal on the 5 on 3. At another point of the penalty kill, he single handedly won a battle against 2 Kings and iced it.

That 5 on 3 kill was huge tonight, along with Jussi, came up big.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:06 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
He also tipped Frolov's shot headed to the empty goal on the 5 on 3.
In my view he got insanely lucky on that play after diving awkwardly and not keeping himself in the lane because he completely misplayed it and then almost tipped it into our net.

Things are seen differently, what can I say.

Old
01-28-2007, 01:11 AM
Spawn

Quote:
In my view he got insanely lucky on that play after diving awkwardly and not keeping himself in the lane because he completely misplayed it and then almost tipped it into our net.

Things are seen differently, what can I say.
Come on, that was a beautiful sequence, he lunges out his stick and knocks away a 100% goal, then right after that, out works 2 kings and ices the puck killing off a valuable 10-20 seconds.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:29 AM
mvprimate

Good report, I definitely agree on giving markinen the next start.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:32 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
LMHF#1 out.
Is that kinda like 'Seacrest out' ?

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:33 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
Is that kinda like 'Seacrest out' ?
It's like Jim Rome...Seacrest tried to ruin it but I'm trying not to let him.

Old
01-28-2007, 01:35 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
It's like Jim Rome...Seacrest tried to ruin it but I'm trying not to let him.
Fight the good fight. But once Seacrest started doing it 'seacrest out' took on a whole new meaning.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:35 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:

I think we’d all agree that Smyth had an awesome game yes? He had FIVE giveaways as per the stat sheet…that stat is BULL! If anything a high total usually says a guy was on and had the puck a bunch!

I just realized that I had that piece of evidence and it made me tremendously happy! So let’s have a good report…

Great report LMHF - my only disagreement would be on Hejda and Smith. I like them as a pairing quite a bit, and think they do a solid job and don't make many mistakes.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:38 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post

Great report LMHF - my only disagreement would be on Hejda and Smith. I like them as a pairing quite a bit, and think they do a solid job and don't make many mistakes.
I really have issues with their defensive style and what it does to the offensive neutral zone attack...so I think it is often tough for me to give them a good grade. Statistically they had a good night, and they were better than lately, but I still found myself not being happy when they came out with the Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky line because the passing quality would come down over the Smid-Staios combo.

Old
01-28-2007, 01:56 AM
Hemsky4PM

I'd like to see them line Pisani up with Nedved and Sykora. Lupul with Stoll and Torres. Petersen/Thoresen with Reasoner and Stortini. The Horcoff line cannot be broken up ever again. You get an extra player when you put Hemsky with Horcoff, Horcoff just gets a lot hungrier when he's out there with Hemsky and plays with way more confidence. He doesn't carry the puck, which is great.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:20 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Almost forgot about Hemsky's one-handed pass while gettin decked to set up Smyth for the would-be Hat. That was AWESOME.

Old
01-28-2007, 02:31 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
The Horcoff line cannot be broken up ever again. You get an extra player when you put Hemsky with Horcoff, Horcoff just gets a lot hungrier when he's out there with Hemsky and plays with way more confidence. He doesn't carry the puck, which is great.
absolutely true, I've been wanting to see that line back together permanently for a while now. At least with that you have one line that clicks most of the time rather than having Smyth doing his thing and Hemsky maybe doing his thing depending on if his linemates are feeling like doing anything and having Horcoff struggle and the rest of the lines kinda struggling.

It's just a line that really works so well, Horcoff does the reliable center who can chip in some offence thing, Smyth does the dirty work, Hemsky shows off some skill, it just flat out works. Now to just figure out what to do with the rest of the lines... I might start by not expecting Toby Peterson to play on an offensive line for one.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:19 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

I guess it might be weird because #1 and I can sit and argue with each other all game until we realize why we think something happened. We really noticed that whenever mose of the offence was going it was with Smid and Staios out on the ice. It didn't always equate to scoring a goal but it led it major chances. That was the best I have seen a line play since I have had season tickets. They compleatly dominated in every part of the game and honestly I bet they played 85% of their ice time in the offensive end. Keep them together please, maybe it is how the Kings D plays, but I was just so happy with their play and even from their first shift I made mention of how they were flying.

Also I agree that Hejda was really lucky breaking up that 2 on 1. I bet 9 out of 10 times that pass gets through for a goal and he was simply beat and got lucky, it happens. Tonight was one of the most exciting Oiler games I have seen in a long time when it comes to their entire game as a whole. Good on ya boys!

Also the flag drives me crazy.. I'm just curious but did the old flag have the outlines in black?

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Rin

The thing i am curious about is why hasn't Paul Lorieau been singing the anthems? He sang it in the first few months...but thats it.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:29 AM
philthy mcnasty*

Who knows, but that woman who sung the anthem tonight did a magnificent job.. had an absolutely heavenly voice.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy mcnasty View Post
Who knows, but that woman who sung the anthem tonight did a magnificent job.. had an absolutely heavenly voice.

Susan Aglukark...She is a canadian singer-songwriter. I didn't like when she sang part of O'Canada Inuktitut though.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:03 AM
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.

Quote:
Almost forgot about Hemsky's one-handed pass while gettin decked to set up Smyth for the would-be Hat. That was AWESOME.
Loved the role reversal. "Is that Hemsky standing in front of the net knocking the puck down and taking punishment to set up a scoring chance!!!!???"

callighenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Fishy Scales

Good to hear Staios contributed well. I actually think that if there's anything this shallow D-corps has accomplished, it's polishing Staios into a more solid and responsible defenseman.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:38 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
I really have issues with their defensive style and what it does to the offensive neutral zone attack...so I think it is often tough for me to give them a good grade. Statistically they had a good night, and they were better than lately, but I still found myself not being happy when they came out with the Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky line because the passing quality would come down over the Smid-Staios combo.
Well, that's because of the matching going on. The forwards and the defense are run separately. The Horcoff line gets the big match up against the other teams forwards, as does the defensive pairing of Hejda-Smith.

I'd guess Staios and Smid look even better when they're with the 10 line because they're against weaker opposition.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:47 AM
oiler-dude

Good report, and I agree with basically everything you said.

By the way, does one of either you or #2 have a Czech Republic Hemsky jersey, and sit in sec. 235? If so, I was right behind you guys for this game.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:40 AM
OilerMania83

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
Good report, and I agree with basically everything you said.

By the way, does one of either you or #2 have a Czech Republic Hemsky jersey, and sit in sec. 235? If so, I was right behind you guys for this game.
I saw a guy with that jersey at Grant MacEwan. I did a double take haha. It is a really awesome jersey.

OilerMania83 is offline   Reply With Quote