HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cam Talbot Appreciation

Old
01-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Cam Talbot Appreciation

Another rough outing by The Bot today, giving up a goal. His GAA (1.62) and SV% (.940) is the best in the league, as is the percentage of games he's won of those he played.

His 10 wins still puts him in the top-30 in the league, on par with the lower-end starters, which is remarkable for a kid who started the season in the AHL and is now a backup to a superstar goalie.

I know everyone's waiting for him to collapse, but people have been waiting for that since his stellar play in Alabama in 2009. But I'm sure it will happen any second now...

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:19 PM
eco's bones

This season could have been in free fall without him. He's had one so-so outing in 15 games played. Most of his performances have been great. 10 wins by your backup at the 50 game mark is really good.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:30 PM
McD27

For some reasons, the team does seem to play better in front of him. Maybe subconsciously, they feel Hank can handle whereas Cam is like a little bro that you try to protect more. Funny that Kreids kisses him after every win. Dunno if he does that with Hank.

McD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
This season could have been in free fall without him. He's had one so-so outing in 15 games played. Most of his performances have been great. 10 wins by your backup at the 50 game mark is really good.

Without him, we'd probably have someone like Biron as the backup and if you replace 10 wins with just 5 wins, we are last in the Division, with the same number of points as the Islanders, but in more games played.

He came in and stabilized the team. Lundqvist finally felt like he doesn't always need to be perfect. He's been the most important backup this team has had since Richter-Beezer were playing together.

Old
01-18-2014, 04:36 PM
TollefsenFan

He has played well. A solid backup

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Talbot brings a sense of confidence that it's awesome to have as a fan. If we've learned one harsh reality this year, it's that Hank isn't perfect. And I'm not throwing Hank under the bus here. Nobody is perfect. It's just nice to know that if Hank has a bad streak, we have a goalie that can take a couple of games. It's nice to know that if there's a back to back against two good teams, we have a goalie that can take any game. If Hank ever got banged up, we have a goalie that could keep our heads above water.

There's always been the horror question of "what if something happened to Hank?" I'm not too afraid of that with Talbot. And again, I'm not saying we'd be just fine if Hank got hurt for a whole season or if he had left in free agency. But say he missed two weeks, heaven forbid. We would sail above water with Talbot.

It's nice to have that extra layer.

If anything, if Talbot keeps up his play over a larger sample size, since Lundqvist is here to stay, we may be able to flip him in a trade for an asset we use every night. Which would also be awesome.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

With Hank going, and CamBOT providing a worry-free night off, goaltending is good in Rangerland

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Hank isn't perfect. And I'm not throwing Hank under the bus here. Nobody is perfect. It's just nice to know that if Hank has a bad streak, we have a goalie that can take a couple of games.
This also makes it less likely that Lundqvist will have a cold streak.

Old
01-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Idlerlee
Always play Richards

vCash: 387
A *very* pleasant surprise after we lost 5-hole to retirement. He's not perfect, but he's been solid, and has in my opinion had our backs when we struggled the most and needed a win to stay afloat. Questionable goal to give up today, but overall a solid performance to keep the Rangers train running.

Idlerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
5 more wins and he'll have the highest number we've had from a backup since the 04-05 lockout.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:49 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Talbot brings a sense of confidence that it's awesome to have as a fan. If we've learned one harsh reality this year, it's that Hank isn't perfect. And I'm not throwing Hank under the bus here. Nobody is perfect. It's just nice to know that if Hank has a bad streak, we have a goalie that can take a couple of games. It's nice to know that if there's a back to back against two good teams, we have a goalie that can take any game. If Hank ever got banged up, we have a goalie that could keep our heads above water.

There's always been the horror question of "what if something happened to Hank?" I'm not too afraid of that with Talbot. And again, I'm not saying we'd be just fine if Hank got hurt for a whole season or if he had left in free agency. But say he missed two weeks, heaven forbid. We would sail above water with Talbot.

It's nice to have that extra layer.

If anything, if Talbot keeps up his play over a larger sample size, since Lundqvist is here to stay, we may be able to flip him in a trade for an asset we use every night. Which would also be awesome.
Ehhh, as much as I love what Talbot has brought, it's just so different being a starter versus being a backup. Who knows how Talbot would handle the pressure of being THE GUY for EVERY GAME. We have no idea how he'd handle that heavy of a workload.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlerlee View Post
A *very* pleasant surprise after we lost 5-hole to retirement. He's not perfect, but he's been solid, and has in my opinion had our backs when we struggled the most and needed a win to stay afloat. Questionable goal to give up today, but overall a solid performance to keep the Rangers train running.

I think his performance has been more than solid. He's been downright ridiculous. Oh, and while the goal he gave up today isn't the best moment of his career, to make 29 saves on 30 shots is terrific anyway.

Old
01-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Who knows how Talbot would handle the pressure of being THE GUY for EVERY GAME. We have no idea how he'd handle that heavy of a workload.

We kind of do from his AHL performance when he had to play something like 30 games in a row behind the league's worst defensive team. People will say that the AHL is different than the NHL, and no doubt it is, but the chances he faced there were ridiculous. On a regular basis, usually in the third period, the team would break down and start giving up the puck right in front of him half a dozen times in half a period.

AHL players are inferior to NHLers, but I don't think it's easier to stop a breakaway in the AHL than it is to stop a slapper from the blue line.

There's nothing to suggest he can't handle a massive game load and keep up his performance. That's been his MO in Alabama and Hartford. If anything, there were questions how he'd handle playing one every other week as a backup.

Old
01-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Richter915

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD27 View Post
For some reasons, the team does seem to play better in front of him. Maybe subconsciously, they feel Hank can handle whereas Cam is like a little bro that you try to protect more. Funny that Kreids kisses him after every win. Dunno if he does that with Hank.
this has been the team's attitude since 2007 pretty much.

Richter915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Vitto79

I guess he's earned his one way deal next yr!

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Another rough outing by The Bot today, giving up a goal. His GAA (1.62) and SV% (.940) is the best in the league, as is the percentage of games he's won of those he played.

His 10 wins still puts him in the top-30 in the league, on par with the lower-end starters, which is remarkable for a kid who started the season in the AHL and is now a backup to a superstar goalie.

I know everyone's waiting for him to collapse, but people have been waiting for that since his stellar play in Alabama in 2009. But I'm sure it will happen any second now...
Not sure why there is a taunting nature to your post. We are all happy that Talbot is playing so well.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:14 AM
surGeon

http://gfycat.com/NextApprehensiveIndianabat

That scramble to stay on his feet and the look on Conach's face coupled with Talbot just calmly skating away like boss is priceless.

Talbot is a ****ing beast.

surGeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
Who's waiting for him to collapse? There's people around here that have suggesting trading Hank and sticking with Talbot.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 03:37 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

It's really nice to have faith in the back up, for once.

He has such a calming demeanor it's almost scary. Like you could fire a puck at his face and he wouldn't flinch.

He's making the big saves to keep his team in the game, and they've been responding with goals.

I'm also very impressed that he plays at high levels even after long stretches of not playing.

Keep it up Cambot. We need you.

01-21-2014, 01:19 AM
crowder
Goalbuster

Talbot is a wonderful goaltending addition to the Rangers. He's been able to take some of the heat off Lundy, and get us a lot of important points.

And with that helmet o his, I now refer to him as the Goalbuster.

crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 02:47 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowder View Post
Talbot is a wonderful goaltending addition to the Rangers. He's been able to take some of the heat off Lundy, and get us a lot of important points.

And with that helmet o his, I now refer to him as the Goalbuster.
LOLed at Goalbuster. Will use it in the future.

Old
01-21-2014, 05:54 AM
Baby Punisher

Love the Cam-Bot!

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:37 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by surGeon View Post
http://gfycat.com/NextApprehensiveIndianabat

That scramble to stay on his feet and the look on Conach's face coupled with Talbot just calmly skating away like boss is priceless.

Talbot is a ****ing beast.
hmm, interesting - is that HTML 5?

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 02:15 PM
crowder
Goalbuster

Speakin o which, surprise start tonight in net for the one and only Goalbuster! hahaha

crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 03:14 PM
nrf83

Lundqvist is ill for everyone's info

https://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/4...-ill-lundqvist

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote