HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do you still watch/support the Oilers?

Old
01-18-2014, 04:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Why do you still watch/support the Oilers?

First let me start off by saying this isn't a derogatory thread, I'm merely curious what keeps you coming back for more pain and misery.

I hopped on the bandwagon shortly before the 2006 playoffs because my dad was telling me about the team and I got curious. I had watched some hockey but wasn't really that into it (I remember watching the '94 finals and attending the odd Flames game). We all know what happened that spring and the season after it. 2008 re-instilled some hope and 2009 we were close before we caved at the end of the season.

2010/11/12 I figured was necessary because we couldn't sign free agents and any trades usually resulted in us taking it in the rear. Last season we saw some improvement before the Oilers remembered who they were and subsequently crumbled in the final weeks of the season.

Before this year started I was excited about the prospect of new players and coaches (...er, coach) being brought it from other organizations. I had thought maybe if things fell into place that we'd challenge for a playoff spot.

....But not this. Not this.

This year is even worse than the 2010 year that was hard (but necessary) for a lot of us. It can't be this bad. It shouldn't be this bad. But it is.

My dad who has supported the Oilers from their start in the WHA has considered switching to another team and I find it hard not to do the same. The players aren't as good as we think they are, the coaching staff doesn't have a clue, and management continues to watch over with their **** eating grins at the prospect of getting another #1 pick (who will likely fail).

I had a lot of hope going into this year, but now it's all gone and as the losses pile up I find myself trying to do other things than watching Oiler games. Hell I went to go watch my little cousin play basketball instead of sticking around for this crapfest, because anyone and everyone knew we'd find a way to blow it.

Even if they clean house from top to bottom, I don't think that's going to fix it. There's a rancid stink around this organization that no amount of cleaning will fix. This team from Kevin Lowe down to Corey Potter is content with losing, and nothing is going to change that.

Edit: I don't know why it says waived. Somebody fix that please.

Last edited by GreatKeith: 01-18-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: WTF...
GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Sacul

vCash: 500
Because I'm loyal and an idiot.

Sacul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:12 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

If you hop on the Oilers bandwagon now... you get a lifetime exemption from ever being called a bandwagon fan.

For those of us that are already long time fans... insanity and sado-masochism pretty much are the only logical explanations for continually watching at this point.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:13 PM
oilersfan11

Because I've been watching since 1987 and won't ever stop watching.

Oilerfan for life.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

I watch hoping that game will be the one that causes changes (fire lowe, eakins, anyone)
I'm at the point though where i don't feel like watching another game for the rest of the year

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Deus

Much like the Oilers themselves, I only check in for a period or so. I don't really care if they win or lose anymore. They're always good for a laugh when they choke away a lead, though.

The way I see it: The worse things get, the better chance there is of all the clowns in the organization getting fired.

Deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

I considered supporting Chicago, but I don't know how to wrap my head around their weird concepts. Have you guys seen them? "Defence", "backchecking", "effort", "playoffs". It was too complicated, so I'm still stuck here.

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:16 PM
cpnfantstk

This is the only sport I like and been a fan of the Oilers since the early 80s. Hard to break away. It's hard in every way right now.

cpnfantstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Paralyzer008

I always hold hope that one day, someone will finally make the right moves for the team.

Unfortunately, it's always one step forward, two steps back

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:18 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus View Post
Much like the Oilers themselves, I only check in for a period or so. I don't really care if they win or lose anymore. They're always good for a laugh when they choke away a lead, though.

The way I see it: The worse things get, the better chance there is of all the clowns in the organization getting fired.
You'd think finishing in the bottom 7 for 5 straight years and counting would incite change...

Old
01-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Shizuka

Because we are loyal and passionate beyond the point of stupidity. I will never, ever switch allegiances, but I sure as hell will call them out -- and as we all see the state of the franchise, that happens to be the vast majority of the organization.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Spawn

I literally don't know how to cheer for someone else?

It's ingrained into me. Unfortunately at this point it's basically a mental illness lol.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:22 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I only tuned in today for the 3rd when I saw we were up a goal. Prior to this afternoon, I hadn't watched more than a few minutes of a game in weeks.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:24 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
can not speak for myself-- butt for those poor buggers in Edmonton--what the **** else are you going to do in the winter

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Ive watched the Oilers since the beginning. Have been a season ticket holder for >10 years (I am done this year).

I've come to the realization finally that this team has ABSOLUTELY NO FUTURE; and there is nothing anyone can do about it while KLowe and MacT are running this **** show. Sadly no amount of *****ing will change this.

As such, I wont support the team in anyway after this season other than to watch an occasional game on the tube.

I might actually start cheering for the Flames believe it or not. They had a hell of a draft last year, their prospect depth is great, and Burke will make that team better. Might as well cheer for an Alberta team!

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:43 PM
DousedInOil

The word fan comes from fanatic. Their doesn't have to be a logical reason for what you do, you just get caught up in the madness.

We are all hockey fanatics.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:44 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Ive watched the Oilers since the beginning. Have been a season ticket holder for >10 years (I am done this year).

I've come to the realization finally that this team has ABSOLUTELY NO FUTURE; and there is nothing anyone can do about it while KLowe and MacT are running this **** show. Sadly no amount of *****ing will change this.

As such, I wont support the team in anyway after this season other than to watch an occasional game on the tube.

I might actually start cheering for the Flames believe it or not. They had a hell of a draft last year, their prospect depth is great, and Burke will make that team better. Might as well cheer for an Alberta team!
You know we were saying these things for a few years... Come to find out that isn't true at all.

Old
01-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

I post on this forum daily, watch highlights, and things like that. Stuff I've always done. Haven't watched a live game since October though.

Starbuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

It's like a drug addiction. You know it's going to suck, and you know it's not going anywhere, but you still keep coming back for more.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Tompa8989*

You never change team! My hometown team was in the end and 3rd division for 16(!) years before we finally managed to get promoted to 1st. Then 7 years after the promotion and two straight losses on the playoff final we won our second title after 35 years. There is nothing better than winning after you have been losing for countless years. Stick in there!

Tompa8989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

HF pays me to be here. It hasn't been enough lately.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:00 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
Because I'm loyal and an idiot.
Same here

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Because hockey is like religion.

Like most fans, I grew up in a specific part of the world with a specific family and peer group that indoctrinated me into fandom of a specific hockey team, and it's tough to shake the emotional attachment even when you derive very little enjoyment out of it anymore.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:01 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa8989 View Post
You never change team! My hometown team was in the end and 3rd division for 16(!) years before we finally managed to get promoted to 1st. Then 7 years after the promotion and two straight losses on the playoff final we won our second title after 35 years. There is nothing better than winning after you have been losing for countless years. Stick in there!
Well we're already halfway to 16 years.

And we're still in DFL. Sooner or later Bettman's going to do what the NBA does and completely randomize the draft for the non-playoff teams.

Old
01-18-2014, 05:04 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
I'll just always support them because I grew up watching them. Unfortunately, I now feel like the only way the team will ever improve is if they get bad enough that Lowe is finally shown the door and I watch now to make sure that is still in progress. It's pretty messed up.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote