HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do you still watch/support the Oilers?

Old
01-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Because no matter what some idiot fans would say, these players care. They care a lot. They're outmanned physically and defensively, yet they give it their all.

If the incredibly inept reign of Tambellini can't turn me away from the team, nothing can.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:10 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Because no matter what some idiot fans would say, these players care. They care a lot. They're outmanned physically and defensively, yet they give it their all.

If the incredibly inept reign of Tambellini can't turn me away from the team, nothing can.
You'll get ripped for saying this but I agree. I highly doubt the players enjoy being humiliated every game out there. They have a desire and will to win which is how they made it to the league in the first place.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Why do I still watch/support the Oilers?

1) I've been following this team since day one in the NHL and will always bleed Oil

2) I'm a masochist

Powder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:14 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
You'll get ripped for saying this but I agree. I highly doubt the players enjoy being humiliated every game out there. They have a desire and will to win which is how they made it to the league in the first place.
I'm not going to rip you for agreeing but... This team just doesn't try. It's one thing to lose because you're not good enough, it's another to lose because you're not trying. More and more as this year goes on we're seeing the latter and the last 2 games were perfect examples of a team just not trying hard enough.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Expatriate

Hi my name is ..... and I'm an Oilers fan.

I first became addicted back in the WHA days. The 80's were the ultimate high. Then came the 90's and I still couldn't stop following the Oil. The 2006 cup run renewed my addiction but since then it has been all down hill and I just can't help myself.

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Lewy

I will never consider switching teams. Never.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
Born and raised an Oilers fan, and for some reason I can't bring myself to fully cheer for any other team.

Hugo Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:38 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I'm not going to rip you for agreeing but... This team just doesn't try. It's one thing to lose because you're not good enough, it's another to lose because you're not trying. More and more as this year goes on we're seeing the latter and the last 2 games were perfect examples of a team just not trying hard enough.
I don't disagree, I wonder if some of it is also just mentally being beaten down for so long. I'm sure they desperately want to win, but in the back of their mind, they know they won't. It's a terrible way to complete for anything at any level.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I don't disagree, I wonder if some of it is also just mentally being beaten down for so long. I'm sure they desperately want to win, but in the back of their mind, they know they won't. It's a terrible way to complete for anything at any level.
Mentally yeah this team is just destroyed. Craig Button said it and he was spot on. They care, but you simply won't compete as hard when your morale is this low and you expect bad things to happen.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Hammer8

Had seasons tickets in 1977 in the WHA days from my Dad. Been through the glory years. Been through the Pocklington hell years when nobody was at the games. Been through rebuild v1.0 of the ownership group. Gave up my tickets in protest after 30 years. But I still cheer for the team, for the logo and for the name.

The management, they can go to hell.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Yeah I follow them, unlike the guy who says he's done this year (last year he said he would burn his season tickets, all talk).

That said, I also follow other teams I like watching, like the Senators and Kings.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Rpro

I grew up in NW Ontario and became an Oilers fan when I was 13. No idea why and I wish I never did. The glory days were over and I never watched hockey in the 80's anyway. I moved to Edmonton the year after their 2006 run and it sure hasn't been fun being an Oilers fan here with nothing to cheer about. But I could never stop cheering for the Oilers, I'd just stop paying any attention to the NHL before I cheer for another team. One of these decades they won't suck...right?

Rpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 06:16 PM
frag2

Quote:
Pretty much what Button was saying to Stauffer yesterday. Said its tearing the young players inside knowing no matter how hard they try, they aren't getting the results.

Hence, the Eakins rant by Button as Eakins ain't doing enough to justify being a coach

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 06:18 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Pretty much what Button was saying to Stauffer yesterday. Said its tearing the young players inside knowing no matter how hard they try, they aren't getting the results.

Hence, the Eakins rant by Button as Eakins ain't doing enough to justify being a coach
Are they really though? They quit in Minnesota. They quit against Detroit. They quit against the Blues, twice.

Yes I'm sure they don't enjoy losing but they've quit in many games this year.

Old
01-18-2014, 06:23 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post

They finished last season 3-9 whilst in a playoff spot. Eakins wasn't here.

The players are mentally and physically weak.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Magnum23

I tried watching another team and pretended to cheer for them. Man does it ever feel good to see the team u cheer for know how to play hockey!

Magnum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Tyrolean

Only reason I watch the Oilers that they have the words "Edmonton" associated with the team. They have the worst management I ever witnessed, and if it were not for the association, I could care less about the team.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 06:35 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Wait, are you saying we can waive the Oilers and maybe they'll be claimed by another city?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 06:37 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Wait, are you saying we can waive the Oilers and maybe they'll be claimed by another city?
Haha, I put that there by accident.

But that would be nice, wouldn't it?

Old
01-18-2014, 06:44 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Haha, I put that there by accident.

But that would be nice, wouldn't it?
Nah, as terrible as they are, I wouldn't want to suffer the same fate as Quebec, Winnipeg, The Whalers, Atlanta.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Nah, as terrible as they are, I wouldn't want to suffer the same fate as Quebec, Winnipeg, The Whalers, Atlanta.
Not true. If Katz could be convinced to move the team to Seattle that would be the quickest way for Edmonton to get an NHL franchise. Katz moves loser Oilers and takes Macblowe with him, we build rink without Katz, NHL feels sorry for Edmonton, since they haven't had NHL hockey since the early 90's, and voila we get a new ownership group and team sans the ex-Oiler hangerons!

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Are you looking for a reason, because if that's the case probably time to check out.

Because they're the Oilers, they're my team. They suck, but that still makes them my team. Not a tough concept.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 07:13 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Are you looking for a reason, because if that's the case probably time to check out.

Because they're the Oilers, they're my team. They suck, but that still makes them my team. Not a tough concept.
I'm mostly curious as to why everyone else sticks with his trainride to hell.

But as the days go by my reasons become less and less, especially as we see other franchises rise from the ashes.

It's so glaringly obvious how far away we are... Never mind from being a contender... Just watching other teams play, we're so far away from just being competent.

Old
01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Pennertration

Great idea for a thread.

This has by far been the most difficult season of hockey watching in my life (and I thought the Steve Smith own-goal was tough!).

Anyway, here are the answers why I watch:

- I'm a huge sports fan
- Out of all sports, I like hockey the most (followed by baseball)
- As far as hockey watching options go, the NHL is the easiest to watch on TV
- Out of all the teams in the NHL, I follow the Oilers the most closely
- The Oilers are my team because I grew up watching hockey during the most glorious era in hockey history. The Oiler teams of the early 80s were simply amazing (and the teams of the 90s had pluck)
- For the last few seasons, I expected the Oilers to suck but continued watching to see the kids play and develop
- This season I have watched almost every game (missed about 4 games)
- My interest is definitely waning but since playoffs are not an option, I do focus on the sub-plots (progression of the kids, new additions to the team, rivalries, matchups against really good teams, etc.)
- But really, the biggest reason I watch now is force of habit. I've been doing it so long, I don't know what else to do (although I've started working out sometimes when I watch, so it's not a complete waste of time and I can let off steam)
- I do think anticipation of the World Juniors and the Olympics has also made this season a tad more tolerable

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 09:06 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Haven't watched a game since early November. I will always be a fan at heart, but no interest in wasting my time watching horrible hockey. Can't understand how people are paying to watch this.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote