HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Maloney interview-WFAN

Old
01-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Sometimes a rumor is true....and sometimes it is not. Such is the spice of life in Rangerland.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:48 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Yeah, if they trade Staal for Forsberg then it would be a monumentally stupid move. But there's no reason to get all worked up about when the biggest evidence of something like that actually happening is chatter on a fan message board.
I wouldn't be so definitive... All we know about Staal for sure is that he's got good brothers. Marcel Hossa has a great brother too. Plus, Tyutin has all properties to become #1 D and at this point has a better chance to do it than Staal. Forsberg has long relations with doctors, but Straka had the same history. Yet Marty is putting together a second quite marvelous season. Its time for Sather to make a deal Forsberg or else to get 2nd line going as well as PP if push for playoff is planned. I think the whole playoff thing is a waste of time (as a reasonable individual) , but wouldn't mind to see the push ( as a fan).

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
I think it's more like everyone likes to trade with us because we have a history for taking on older players and giving up youth.

Why on earth would teams wish they were us? Our record is horrible.
Because being a New York Ranger fan is the best thing in the world. I wouldn't trade it in for anything else.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:56 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Because being a New York Ranger fan is the best thing in the world. I wouldn't trade it in for anything else.
Even if we trade Marc Staal for Peter Forsberg?

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:57 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Even if we trade Marc Staal for Peter Forsberg?
The names change, the Jersey stays the same my friend.

Old
01-29-2007, 11:00 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
The names change, the Jersey stays the same my friend.
I guess we're talking about two different things here. I've been a Ranger fan almost 30 years, I've stuck with them through all the playoff losses to the Islanders, Ted Sator, Espo, and the last ten years of disappointment.

That said, I don't think fans of other teams are quite so envious of our situation and track record.

Old
01-29-2007, 11:03 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
I guess we're talking about two different things here. I've been a Ranger fan almost 30 years, I've stuck with them through all the playoff losses to the Islanders, Ted Sator, Espo, and the last ten years of disappointment.

That said, I don't think fans of other teams are quite so envious of our situation and track record.
ya know there are some teams out there that have NEVER won a stanley cup in there life time

Old
01-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Interesting, Ola. So you've already singled out two players from our vaunted 'youth movement' who won't really help the Rangers much in the long run. So is all this 'help' Maloney was telling us was coming from Hartford a mirage?
Immone and Pock aren't exactly the best young players the Rangers are basing their future on...

While I think Immonen still could be a good player for the Rangers, or another team, I think the guys the Rangers are most excited about are players like Dubinsky and Callahan and Korpikoski, etc. Dubinsky is the only center in that group though, and he's not quite ready yet.

at any rate, you can't take just two players and then say "oh no! there is no good youth in the farm system!"

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:10 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Immone and Pock aren't exactly the best young players the Rangers are basing their future on...

While I think Immonen still could be a good player for the Rangers, or another team, I think the guys the Rangers are most excited about are players like Dubinsky and Callahan and Korpikoski, etc. Dubinsky is the only center in that group though, and he's not quite ready yet.

at any rate, you can't take just two players and then say "oh no! there is no good youth in the farm system!"
I was not making that statement, I was asking Ola what his opinion is. I'm not even ready to give up on Immonen and Pock yet, I don't think they've been given much of a chance to show us what they can do.

The problem is Sather/Maloney's MO, to cover their butt by telling us how great they're doing preparing for the future, but then dumping the future for the next 30+ year old that comes along.

Old
01-29-2007, 11:39 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Do you doubt that the Rangers are even inquiring about Forsberg?
No, but I doubt that they're dangling Staal.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Do you doubt that the Rangers are even inquiring about Forsberg?
I don't doubt it. And they should inquire about him. From there it comes down to what the return might be.

But you certainly have to at least look into it.

01-29-2007, 11:48 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't doubt it. And they should inquire about him. From there it comes down to what the return might be.

But you certainly have to at least look into it.
We have to look into aging stars who have missed a ton of games in the last few years???

Old
01-29-2007, 11:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
We have to look into aging stars who have missed a ton of games in the last few years???
Or you can look at it as you have to look at an All-World player who would fill an enormous hole in this lineup. And is a UFA at the end of the season.

Provided the price is right.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Pizza

I just put Maloney's interview into my computer and used some software to play it backwards.

Be afraid people, be very afraid.

Old
01-29-2007, 11:55 AM
dave4

Quote:
Or you can look at it as you have to look at an All-World player who would fill an enormous hole in this lineup. And is a UFA at the end of the season.

I can't imagine a price that would be right for a guy who misses more games than he plays, has told the Flyers he's concerned about his foot, and is a UFA at the end of the season.

Wait, yes I can...Marek Malik.

If we were one superstar player away from being a Cup contender, I would still disagree but understand the logic. But even with a healthy Forsberg our defense still sucks, Shanahan is getting tired, Jagr is one hit away from a shoulder injury, Renney can't find a role for Prucha, Lundqvist is inconsistent, etc. etc. etc.

And there is the big question of giving up youth, which I heard Don Maloney tell me wouldn't happen.

Old
01-29-2007, 11:59 AM
bathgate

Quote:

Agreed. However, would you give up a first rounder,Dubinsky, Sauer, Dawes, Immonen, Callahan, Jessiman or a second or third round pick. IMO, I'd give up Immonen, Jessiman, a third round pick or a combination thereof. Anything more would be foolish. Care to comment?

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:21 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I wouldn't be so definitive... All we know about Staal for sure is that he's got good brothers. Marcel Hossa has a great brother too. Plus, Tyutin has all properties to become #1 D and at this point has a better chance to do it than Staal. Forsberg has long relations with doctors, but Straka had the same history. Yet Marty is putting together a second quite marvelous season. Its time for Sather to make a deal Forsberg or else to get 2nd line going as well as PP if push for playoff is planned. I think the whole playoff thing is a waste of time (as a reasonable individual) , but wouldn't mind to see the push ( as a fan).
That's not all we know about Staal. He's been one of the top defensemen for the Gold Medal winning WJC team for two consecutive years. Tyutin has a better chance at being a #1 D than Staal? Please... Tyutin is a solid player and has a bright future, but come on.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Agreed. However, would you give up a first rounder,Dubinsky, Sauer, Dawes, Immonen, Callahan, Jessiman or a second or third round pick. IMO, I'd give up Immonen, Jessiman, a third round pick or a combination thereof. Anything more would be foolish. Care to comment?
I really haven't given it much thought. I just don't think you can say "You have to go get him" or "No way do you get him". Stick a toe in the water and see what the deal is.

If I had to put an offer together, I'd give a second plus their choice of Immonen, Pock or Jessiman and a lesser prospect.

I'm not dealing a #1 or Sanguinetti or Korpikoski or Staal or Dawes or Montoya or Callahan or Sauer or Dubinskiy or Anisimov.

I don't think my offer gets it done. But that's the most I would give up. That said, I have said for a while now that I think everyone will be surprised by the quality of package that the Flyers get back for Forsberg.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Ola

Quote:
Interesting, Ola. So you've already singled out two players from our vaunted 'youth movement' who won't really help the Rangers much in the long run. So is all this 'help' Maloney was telling us was coming from Hartford a mirage?
Yepp. No problems with it whatsoever. As long as its the right players...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Pizza

Deal or no deal Maloney and Sather are in a bit of a pickle here. On the one hand they are expected to make an improvement to some glaring weaknesses. On the other if they give anything away to make those improvements they will be vilified for doing so.

An obvious point, but one I felt like pointing out.

Old
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
If I had to put an offer together, I'd give a second plus their choice of Immonen, Pock or Jessiman and a lesser prospect.

I'm not dealing a #1 or Sanguinetti or Korpikoski or Staal or Dawes or Montoya or Callahan or Sauer or Dubinskiy or Anisimov.

I don't think my offer gets it done. But that's the most I would give up. That said, I have said for a while now that I think everyone will be surprised by the quality of package that the Flyers get back for Forsberg.

Amen, if your offer doesn't get it done i'm fine with that. That's a fair deal imo and there's no reason to get taken to the cleaners...especially when we're talking about any move that is short sighted and goes away from our newfound dedication to groom yound talent and build for the future.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Remember Forsberg has to agree to the trade....Big piece of this equation and a big unknown

I think NY would be great for Forsberg to make a fresh start. Is he friendly with Nylander and Henrik? They did win Gold together.

01-29-2007, 01:05 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Remember Forsberg has to agree to the trade....Big piece of this equation and a big unknown

I think NY would be great for Forsberg to make a fresh start. Is he friendly with Nylander and Henrik? They did win Gold together.
I thought the article posted above said he had ok'd a trade to NYR? Is he really going to say, "that's not enough in return" and strike it down?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote