HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Break In Question

Old
01-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Slick

vCash: 500
Skate Break In Question

I'm breaking in some new Vapor 10's. I've worn them for about 3 hours on the ice and my blisters became too much to bare (literally ripped off my skin, 3 weeks later still not healed...ouch!). Anyway, before I get back on the ice I want to wear them around the house for a half hour-hour a day for a few days. I've heard that wetting a sock (damp) and wearing that in the skates when you walk around simulates a sweaty foot and helps break the skates in more. Is this true? I don't want to ruin my new boots by doing something foolish, and though it sounds like a decent enough idea I thought I would double check with you guys first.

Cheers.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Slick

Searched through a bunch of pages and found this. Helped alot and might help others with similiar question so they don't have to search as much:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=break+in

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=break+in

I could still use some input, though. Thanks.

Old
01-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I'm breaking in some new Vapor 10's. I've worn them for about 3 hours on the ice and my blisters became too much to bare (literally ripped off my skin, 3 weeks later still not healed...ouch!). Anyway, before I get back on the ice I want to wear them around the house for a half hour-hour a day for a few days. I've heard that wetting a sock (damp) and wearing that in the skates when you walk around simulates a sweaty foot and helps break the skates in more. Is this true? I don't want to ruin my new boots by doing something foolish, and though it sounds like a decent enough idea I thought I would double check with you guys first.

Cheers.
Well my dad had a good system for us. He would get us lined up in our skates, wearing the socks that we normally wear and go on the carpet. My mom HATED us.

Stand on the carpet and start "stretching" the skates. Lean one way...lean the other...deep knee bends. We used to do that for an hour or two. Or else we did would tie our skates ULTRA tight...do the same stretches...then loosen them and do the stretches again. We would put on hot wet socks as well.

Also, take them in and get them punched out if its possible to relieve some pressure points.

01-23-2007, 01:45 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
heat molding works well too.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Qui Gon Dave

I'm breaking in some new skates at the moment too. The first time I wore them to play wasn't too bad at all becuase I spent the previous week:

- heat molding them
- wearing them round the house
- wearing warm, wet socks while wearing the skates
- leaving pucks in the ankle area and lacing the skates up overnight

They still hurt a little when I wore them for the first time, but I was expecting it to be much worse (I'd heard some people really complain about the break in period of the model I bought). Its going to take a few more weeks to have them get towards the comfort level of my old skates, but I reckon if I carry on doing what I've been doing, they will work out nicely.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Slick

Already had them baked but it wasn't enough to save my feet, so I was just mainly double checking that the wet socks was okay to do. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old
01-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Slick

Also, anything I should look for from walking around that could happen (though I doubt walking around with blade guards could ever bend the blade).

Last edited by Slick: 01-25-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old
01-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
You should be fine.

I spent many hours as a child in skate guards.

How did it go BTW?

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
You should be fine.

I spent many hours as a child in skate guards.

How did it go BTW?
Went great, thanks for asking. Played again today as well, I'm really liking the skates now that they are mostly broken in.

One more question, the only thing that's really painful now are my toes. They get swollen/bruised on the small/pinkie toes on the outside, and feel cramped during play. I'm guessing staying on them will stretch them out, they're just really sore after I'm done playing. Just want to make sure this is normal. I suppose I could always get them punched at LHS.

Old
01-29-2007, 02:43 PM
stick9

Quote:
Went great, thanks for asking. Played again today as well, I'm really liking the skates now that they are mostly broken in.

One more question, the only thing that's really painful now are my toes. They get swollen/bruised on the small/pinkie toes on the outside, and feel cramped during play. I'm guessing staying on them will stretch them out, they're just really sore after I'm done playing. Just want to make sure this is normal. I suppose I could always get them punched at LHS.
Get them punched out. They won't stretch all that much from normal use.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:14 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Cheers.
As much as this seems true, I wouldn't recommend that. From having a cut foot that's lasted 3 weeks, wetting a sock like that could cause infection in the cuts or around the scars, which would knock you out even longer. Do what was mentioned before, just wear them every once in a while and lean side to side.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote