HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT...1/26/07 NJ Devils @ TB Lightning

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
I said that. That's as much accolades as I give anyone so get over it already.

Now, have you ever thought there would be a reason I don't watch the Devils? I watch about a ton of hockey every week (ask my wife). I used to watch the Devils all the time when I lived up there and I thought they were boring then. The reason I don't watch them now is not because I don't know anything about them it's because I know HOW they play from watching them enough in the past to form that opinion. I didn't watch them play the Devils once and say "Wow, the Devils are so boring I am never watching them play again unless they play the Lightning." I have been watching hockey like it's a religion since 1976 and I can tell you that a team has never, ever put me to sleep during a game EXCEPT the New Jersey Devils. And lastly, I have absolutley nothing to be jealous of. You might get away with that on teams boards that suck and have never won anything but the Lightning are a winning team that are fun and exciting to watch (for the most part). Jealously for any Lightning fan should never apply to the Devils. You won 3 Stanley Cups, big deal, you did it in the most non exciting way in the history of the league.

Take it easy man, I'm not trying to bust your chops but only try to make a point and that is the Devils have been an exciting team to watch this year if you have seen them play, I believe they have played in the most one goal games which means that the games are always going to go to the end and trust me we have had a bunch of games this season end with everyone at the edge of their seats.

I just truely believe people are just running with this stero-type here - perhaps not you - because for example in my office they are dozens of non-Devils hockey fans that I talk to and not once have anyone of them tell me "God, watching your Devils are boring as hell" in the five year I have worked there are anywhere else has that matter, ie. gym, bar, school, etc.....

The only time I hear it is here at HFBoards and the only reason I can think of is people are going by what they hear instead of what they see.

Anyways, in the wise words of Kramer "NOW, I am done.

01-28-2007, 11:26 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Take it easy man, I'm not trying to bust your chops but only try to make a point and that is the Devils have been an exciting team to watch this year if you have seen them play, I believe they have played in the most one goal games which means that the games are always going to go to the end and trust me we have had a bunch of games this season end with everyone at the edge of their seats.

I just truely believe people are just running with this stero-type here - perhaps not you - because for example in my office they are dozens of non-Devils hockey fans that I talk to and not once have anyone of them tell me "God, watching your Devils are boring as hell" in the five year I have worked there are anywhere else has that matter, ie. gym, bar, school, etc.....

The only time I hear it is here at HFBoards and the only reason I can think of is people are going by what they hear instead of what they see.

Anyways, in the wise words of Kramer "NOW, I am done.
Easy is my middle name.

Old
01-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Tokala

I've never seen fans of a team get so bent out of shape because people find their team "boring" to watch. Of all the things to be defensive about, that just doesn't seem to be something to get worked up about.

The onlt reason that a 1 goal lead by Jersey is exciting up to the end is because they're all hanging back in the defensive zone trapping and the opponent is swarming to try and tie the game. It's exciting because the other team is desparate to score a goal, not because Jersey has a 1-0 lead.

Old
01-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
I said that. That's as much accolades as I give anyone so get over it already.

Now, have you ever thought there would be a reason I don't watch the Devils? I watch about a ton of hockey every week (ask my wife). I used to watch the Devils all the time when I lived up there and I thought they were boring then. The reason I don't watch them now is not because I don't know anything about them it's because I know HOW they play from watching them enough in the past to form that opinion. I didn't watch them play the Devils once and say "Wow, the Devils are so boring I am never watching them play again unless they play the Lightning." I have been watching hockey like it's a religion since 1976 and I can tell you that a team has never, ever put me to sleep during a game EXCEPT the New Jersey Devils. And lastly, I have absolutley nothing to be jealous of. You might get away with that on teams boards that suck and have never won anything but the Lightning are a winning team that are fun and exciting to watch (for the most part). Jealously for any Lightning fan should never apply to the Devils. You won 3 Stanley Cups, big deal, you did it in the most non exciting way in the history of the league.
So I guess you found the Devils/Rangers semis in 94 boring or the Devs/Flyers semis in 2000 as well as the finals between the Devs and Stars. Or their run late last season where every game they played was dam exciting. But that's fine, because I didn't find the finals between the Lighting and Flames anything to write home about. And the Devils success is a big deal to us Devil fans. It's going on for more then a decade now, while Tampa's cup can be written off as one year wonders. Devil fans are used to close games and enjoy them, while you probably enjoy watching you team win 5-1 games, it's each their own I guess.

Old
01-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
it's each their own I guess.
Exactly!

We enjoy aggressive, attacking hockey. You enjoy trapping, play not to lose hockey. Only thing wrong with either one is your fans telling our fans we should be somehow required to find your style of hockey exciting.

As for the one-hit wonder shot, I think it would have to be more than a few years removed from that Cup win before it can be properly categorized in that manner, but if it makes you feel better...

Old
01-28-2007, 02:02 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
So I guess you found the Devils/Rangers semis in 94 boring or the Devs/Flyers semis in 2000 as well as the finals between the Devs and Stars. Or their run late last season where every game they played was dam exciting. But that's fine, because I didn't find the finals between the Lighting and Flames anything to write home about. And the Devils success is a big deal to us Devil fans. It's going on for more then a decade now, while Tampa's cup can be written off as one year wonders. Devil fans are used to close games and enjoy them, while you probably enjoy watching you team win 5-1 games, it's each their own I guess.
It has been one season since the Lightning won and we had to deal with a season long lockout.

I think we deserve more time before we are called one hit wonders.

Old
01-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Hockeyfan02

A "one year wonder" who went to the 2nd round the year before and then had to deal with a lockout in which most teams in the league had major roster overhauls. The Lightning also made the playoffs in the first season after their cup win (something that can't be said for all the Devils teams that won a cup). But hey, 3 straight years with a playoff appearance, and winning a cup after their second consecutive division title. Geez, that cup run came out of nowhere.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by The XO Sniper View Post
It has been one season since the Lightning won and we had to deal with a season long lockout.

Never said they were, just can be. And I was only responding to someone who's trying to whitewash more then a decade of success by the Devils has no big deal as well as stating that he's watched hockey since 1976 and has always found them boring. I was also pointing out that the Devils have played in some of the most memorable playoff series in the history of the game as well as having some of the top offensive teams and future Hall of Fame players like Stevens and Niedermayer. If I'm not mistaken the semis between the Rangers and Devils in 1994, was the highest rated televised games in the history of hockey for the U.S.

I actually like the Tampa team and their coach and rooted for them to win the cup against the Flames. Since my parents live in Clearwater, I kind of regard them as my home team away from home. However, I just need to respond to outlandish and ridiculous posts.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:33 PM
gobolt7

Here is the problem as I see it. We, the Tampa fans, commented on our game, in the Tampa forum. We did not give our opinions on the Devils board, or the NHL board even. As a result of commenting on our game, on our board, we got inundated with visitors, basically telling us that we were wrong, and had no right to voice our outlandish and ridiculous opinions on our board. I could totally understand if a bunch of us invaded the Devils board and hijacked your GDT with how we thought you were boring trappers. That is not what happened. As a result, we have had to defend and debate our comments, instead of being able to actually talk about the game that was played. To be honest, I have had enough of it. If you don't like our opinions, on our board, about your team, then I will be more than happy to show you to the Tampa board exit.

Old
01-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltaford View Post
Here is the problem as I see it. We, the Tampa fans, commented on our game, in the Tampa forum. We did not give our opinions on the Devils board, or the NHL board even. As a result of commenting on our game, on our board, we got inundated with visitors, basically telling us that we were wrong, and had no right to voice our outlandish and ridiculous opinions on our board. I could totally understand if a bunch of us invaded the Devils board and hijacked your GDT with how we thought you were boring trappers. That is not what happened. As a result, we have had to defend and debate our comments, instead of being able to actually talk about the game that was played. To be honest, I have had enough of it. If you don't like our opinions, on our board, about your team, then I will be more than happy to show you to the Tampa board exit.
Well, if you actually talked about your own team after a loss and stop blaming the team that beat you, we won't have come on your board. Make sense , no? : and don't worry, I've had my fill of your board.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 01-28-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old
01-28-2007, 06:07 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Well, if you actually talked about your own team after a loss and stop blaming the team that beat you, we won't have come on your board. Make sense , no?
We were saying the exact same things about your style after we beat you last week. Nice try though.

Old
01-28-2007, 09:05 PM
missK

Looks to me like this thread is waaay off topic....

Old
01-29-2007, 04:37 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:

You're right. I give in. The New Jersey Devils are the most exciting team to ever grace the ice in the history of the game. As a matter of fact, **** the Lightning, I am now a Devils fan.

Old
01-29-2007, 04:39 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The XO Sniper View Post

I personally don't care what he thinks. One hit wonder, fluke, whatever. Fact is a Stanley Cup sat in Tampa for awhile. Nothing anyone says can change that.

Old
01-29-2007, 04:42 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Never said they were, just can be. And I was only responding to someone who's trying to whitewash more then a decade of success by the Devils has no big deal as well as stating that he's watched hockey since 1976 and has always found them boring. I was also pointing out that the Devils have played in some of the most memorable playoff series in the history of the game as well as having some of the top offensive teams and future Hall of Fame players like Stevens and Niedermayer. If I'm not mistaken the semis between the Rangers and Devils in 1994, was the highest rated televised games in the history of hockey for the U.S.

I actually like the Tampa team and their coach and rooted for them to win the cup against the Flames. Since my parents live in Clearwater, I kind of regard them as my home team away from home. However, I just need to respond to outlandish and ridiculous posts.
It's only outlandish and ridiculous because you find it that way. Am I the only fan of another team that finds your team boring? I'll just bet I'm not.

Old
01-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Hockeyfan02

Alright, I think everyone has voiced their opinions by now. This thread has gotten WAY off topic and is now closed.

Closed Thread