HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League: Torts Goes Hulk Mode

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2014, 12:01 AM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Calgary gained an edge against a superior team. Is the game tied late in the third period if Fonzie doesn't have a meltdown? Doubtful. This sort of thing fires up and inspires a team that really has nothing to play for at this point. Would it work every game? Of course not. But Hartley chose his spot well, and the inspired Flames might pull off the upset.
I think generating chances motivates a team not. Mggrattan is useful in 1 or 2 games a year. The rest he is a liability that gets his lunch handed to him night in and night out

Old
01-19-2014, 12:06 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Canucks win.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:08 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 350
lol @ Burrows in the SO

Old
01-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I think generating chances motivates a team not. Mggrattan is useful in 1 or 2 games a year. The rest he is a liability that gets his lunch handed to him night in and night out
McGrattan is the best fighter in the league right now. Guaranteed every player in the Calgary locker room wants him out there backing them up.

Point is, there's nothing wrong at all with pulling a stunt like Hartley did against your biggest rival once a year. Flames went into Vancouver and played the Canucks even through 65 minutes, certainly a better result than was expected. Stuff like that forms comraderie, brings teams together. Teams always play better when they know the guy beside them has their back and vice versa. What did Hartley have to lose at this point in the season? Absolutely nothing. Meanwhile the Canucks are exposed once again as fake tough, out of control, whiners. The head coach tries to storm the other team's dressing room, good heavens. Probably even stupider than jumping a shark on a motorcycle, bravo Fonz.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:12 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

So Calgary has the best fighter in the league and is still a bad hockey team...

Meanwhile Anaheim has no goons and is the best team in the league.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

Calgary is going to be bad whether or not McGrattan is on the team, not sure what point you're trying to make.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:20 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Calgary is going to be bad whether or not McGrattan is on the team, not sure what point you're trying to make.
Goons aren't necessary.

Not one bit.

The best teams in the league are tough as a whole. If you have to rely on a caveman like McGrattan then you're in big trouble.

Calgary tries that against any other team in the West and they'll get creamed. Monahan might want to watch his head in the future.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:21 AM
topchowda

Quote:
McGrattan is the best fighter in the league right now. Guaranteed every player in the Calgary locker room wants him out there backing them up.

Point is, there's nothing wrong at all with pulling a stunt like Hartley did against your biggest rival once a year. Flames went into Vancouver and played the Canucks even through 65 minutes, certainly a better result than was expected. Stuff like that forms comraderie, brings teams together. Teams always play better when they know the guy beside them has their back and vice versa. What did Hartley have to lose at this point in the season? Absolutely nothing. Meanwhile the Canucks are exposed once again as fake tough, out of control, whiners. The head coach tries to storm the other team's dressing room, good heavens. Probably even stupider than jumping a shark on a motorcycle, bravo Fonz.
Let's bring an ex ufc fighter in and teach him how to skate, he'd instantly be the best fighter.

I would rather my bottom dwelling team try out different lines/ systems in the useless games this season to get better for next year

Know next game against van, calgaries skilled players are going to be in the cross hairs. So things will probably escalate, so does the chance of injury/ suspension. I would rather RNH/Hall not be focused on by goons. But if Calgary is starting a new era of goons, I wouldn't mind because Hall will skate circles around them

Top teams don't dress lines of goons. They dress tough guys with skill, or the odd goon. Building a team with goons is backward in today's NHL

Old
01-19-2014, 12:26 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Let's bring an ex ufc fighter in and teach him how to skate, he'd instantly be the best fighter.

I would rather my bottom dwelling team try out different lines/ systems in the useless games this season.

Know next game against van, calgaries skilled players are going to be in the cross hairs. So things will probably escalate, so does the chance of injury/ suspension

Top teams don't dress lines of goons. They dress tough guys with skill, or the odd goon. Building a team with goons is backward in today's NHL
Oh brother...yeah, because clearly the plan in Calgary is to build a contender around McGrattan and Westgarth.

One bloody night per year the fans get treated to a good old fashioned knuckle-duster, and sure enough the anti-fighting crowd is out in full reactionary force as though the Broad Street Bullies have just been brought back from the dead. It was one game, boo freaking hoo, enjoy it for what it was.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:27 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Oh brother...yeah, because clearly the plan in Calgary is to build a contender around McGrattan and Westgarth.

One bloody night per year the fans get treated to a good old fashioned knuckle-duster, and sure enough the anti-fighting crowd is out in full reactionary force as though the Broad Street Bullies have just been brought back from the dead. It was one game, boo freaking hoo, enjoy it for what it was.
There's a very large difference between being anti-fighting and being anti-goon.

Weren't you one of the guys who's pro-MacIntyre? Bet he'd make a ton of difference right now.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:33 AM
topchowda

Quote:

Oh, I enjoyed the show don't get me wrong. I love watching these things. But not when its my team. While enteraining, they are dumb and have nothing to do with hockey. Might as well have some fighting during intermissions.

I support fighting when there is a reason, or in the heat of the action. Mgrattan v sesisto is pure goonery and no hockey value. Kassian v Lucic on the other hand, has value to me

Players like mggrattan also waste roster spots 60 games a season, and get schooled 7 mins a night. So his impact isnt limited to this one game

Let me see Pitlick/ Lander/ horak auditioned throughout the rest of the year to gain experience instead of calling up Eager/Abney to maybe fight some goons

Last edited by topchowda: 01-19-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old
01-19-2014, 12:34 AM
herashak

vCash: 0
Quote:

Ducks are built around getzlaf and perry. Oilers have hall and RNH, one pairing can handle physical play the other cant. It's good to have your best players be your most physical but not many teams can be built like that.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:38 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
Ducks are built around getzlaf and perry. Oilers have hall and RNH, one pairing can handle physical play the other cant. It's good to have your best players be your most physical but not many teams can be built like that.
Having sesisto to address this issue would only make things worse. Getting a skilled big man to play the wing does (jvr for example) and those guys focus on playing hockey, not face punching

Old
01-19-2014, 12:41 AM
herashak

vCash: 0
Quote:
Having sesisto to address this issue would only make things worse. Getting a skilled big man to play the wing does (jvr for example) and those guys focus on playing hockey, not face punching
True physical Top 9 players are the only answer. No more goons.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:48 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
There's a very large difference between being anti-fighting and being anti-goon.

Weren't you one of the guys who's pro-MacIntyre? Bet he'd make a ton of difference right now.
Because the guys like Anton Lander, Will Acton, Ryan Jones, and Ryan Smyth that are ahead of him on the depth chart sure have made a huge difference.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:48 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
True physical Top 9 players are the only answer. No more goons.
I agree entirely as well as with your earlier post.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:49 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Because the guys like Anton Lander, Will Acton, Ryan Jones, and Ryan Smyth that are ahead of him on the depth chart sure have made a huge difference.
And a guy like John Scott has made the Sabres a force, right?

It's probably not a coincidence that the bottom teams in the league fill their 4th lines with useless goons that don't do anything.

Remember the 2008 season when we had the best 4th line in the league? It's probably not a coincidence that when we had a 4th line that could play hockey effectively was the last time we hit 40 wins.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Oh, I enjoyed the show don't get me wrong. I love watching these things. But not when its my team. While enteraining, they are dumb and have nothing to do with hockey. Might as well have some fighting during intermissions.

I support fighting when there is a reason, or in the heat of the action. Mgrattan v sesisto is pure goonery and no hockey value. Kassian v Lucic on the other hand, has value to me

Players like mggrattan also waste roster spots 60 games a season, and get schooled 7 mins a night. So his impact isnt limited to this one game

Let me see Pitlick/ Lander/ horak auditioned throughout the rest of the year to gain experience instead of calling up Eager/Abney to maybe fight some goons
There's 30 games left, Pitlick, Horak, Lander can get an audition in 29 of them. Gooning it up against Vancouver in 1 game wouldn't hurt anybody. That one man wrecking crew Fonzie trying to storm the Oilers dressing room on Tuesday would be priceless.

You said it yourself, you enjoyed the show. Me too. I'd like to see my team antagonize and participate once in a while. Not every game, not even most games, or even many games at all. Just one damn time. It would be nice to have another team up in arms and pissed off at us like Fonz and the Canucks are at Calgary right now.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
And a guy like John Scott has made the Sabres a force, right?

It's probably not a coincidence that the bottom teams in the league fill their 4th lines with useless goons that don't do anything.

Remember the 2008 season when we had the best 4th line in the league? It's probably not a coincidence that when we had a 4th line that could play hockey effectively was the last time we hit 40 wins.
When your GM is too crappy to ice 12 decent skaters, at least you can give the fans some entertainment value by dressing a goon or two. Buffalo and Calgary at least give their fans something to cheer about for 30 seconds during the endless losing streaks. The Oilers? Hmmm...not so much. We get beat on the scoreboard AND in the alley. Teams like Chicago don't have goons because they managed to find 12 other decent players. It's nice to have a GM that is competent at his job, but the Oilers haven't had that luxury in many years.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:03 AM
topchowda

Quote:
There's 30 games left, Pitlick, Horak, Lander can get an audition in 29 of them. Gooning it up against Vancouver in 1 game wouldn't hurt anybody. That one man wrecking crew Fonzie trying to storm the Oilers dressing room on Tuesday would be priceless.

You said it yourself, you enjoyed the show. Me too. I'd like to see my team antagonize and participate once in a while. Not every game, not even most games, or even many games at all. Just one damn time. It would be nice to have another team up in arms and pissed off at us like Fonz and the Canucks are at Calgary right now.
So gooning up for the heck of it?

There's also implications that aren't always concerned:
A) your skilled guys will be keyed on in the future by goons
B) the players that remain in the game have to play absurd big minutes once players get ejected (hamhuis played 36 minutes). The more you play above what you are used to playing increases the risk of injury resulting from playing bug minutes. Imagine hamhuis ( TC member, Vans best D) pulled a ham string playing 36 minutes cause of goonery and missed 3-4 weeks? Good Bye playoffs. But hey, those fights were fun

Old
01-19-2014, 01:08 AM
topchowda

Quote:
When your GM is too crappy to ice 12 decent skaters, at least you can give the fans some entertainment value by dressing a goon or two. Buffalo and Calgary at least give their fans something to cheer about for 30 seconds during the endless losing streaks. The Oilers? Hmmm...not so much. We get beat on the scoreboard AND in the alley. Teams like Chicago don't have goons because they managed to find 12 other decent players. It's nice to have a GM that is competent at his job, but the Oilers haven't had that luxury in many years.
MacT was trying to build a competent team in the off season , no use bringing in goons. Should he give up assets in season just to acquire favepunchers simply to treat the fan base to one face punching match?

If you want entertainment like that watch WWE or boxing. I want to watch a hockey team attempt to figure it out. Rolling goons signals you've officially thrown in the towel on the season.

We are no where close to being Chicago, but we should make strides to being like them. Why is emulating the Flames suddenly the thing to do. We should do the opposite of everything they do

Old
01-19-2014, 01:16 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
So gooning up for the heck of it?

There's also implications that aren't always concerned:
A) your skilled guys will be keyed on in the future by goons
B) the players that remain in the game have to play absurd big minutes once players get ejected (hamhuis played 36 minutes). The more you play above what you are used to playing increases the risk of injury resulting from playing bug minutes. Imagine hamhuis ( TC member, Vans best D) pulled a ham string playing 36 minutes cause of goonery and missed 3-4 weeks? Good Bye playoffs. But hey, those fights were fun
A) Gooning it up against the other teams goons doesn't lead to your own stars getting gooned on. Did any of Calgary's skilled guys get gooned tonight? Not that I saw.

B) You'll have to back up this assertion up with some evidence. Logging extra minutes shouldn't lead to injury, these guys are top conditioned athletes.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
MacT was trying to build a competent team in the off season , no use bringing in goons. Should he give up assets in season just to acquire favepunchers simply to treat the fan base to one face punching match?

If you want entertainment like that watch WWE or boxing. I want to watch a hockey team attempt to figure it out. Rolling goons signals you've officially thrown in the towel on the season.

We are no where close to being Chicago, but we should make strides to being like them. Why is emulating the Flames suddenly the thing to do. We should do the opposite of everything they do
You don't have to give up assets to bring in a goon. MacIntyre was a free agent. Gazdic was claimed off waivers. Nobody ever gives up an asset for a goon.

And I'd argue MacT trading Smid for a jock strap signaled he'd thrown in the towel on the season.

But anyway, I don't want to derail the out of town thread any further with off topic fighting discussion. We'll just have to agree to disagree, I don't think either of us are going to change the other person's opinion. I can safely say the Oilers won't try to goon it up against Vancouver on Tuesday, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:26 AM
topchowda

Quote:
A) Gooning it up against the other teams goons doesn't lead to your own stars getting gooned on. Did any of Calgary's skilled guys get gooned tonight? Not that I saw.

B) You'll have to back up this assertion up with some evidence. Logging extra minutes shouldn't lead to injury, these guys are top conditioned athletes.
Most of the goons arent in the game anymore, next game there is an increased chance something will happen. Why risk putting your skilled guys in the cross hairs, whats the reward? a couple fights so mouth breathing fans can get their fix off fighting?

Do you want scientific studies? or do you just want to apply common sense. Why does no NHL D play over 28 minutes in a game? because no player in the NHL is conditioned enough to play 28 minutes of the highest level hockey in the world. If they could, Weber/OEL would all play 40 minutes every night. But it doesnt work like that, bodies get fatigued, which leads to injuries.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Maggie with 5pts in 28 games with Blues and is -6. lol, yes, -6. How do you even get a - playing in ST louis? Not one other regular Blues player is -. Only maggie.

Meanwhile Omark with 1 pt in 9games for Buffalo.

How on Earth did Gagner actually manage some production with these busts?

Closed Thread