HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mtl-Edm proposal

Old
01-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Mtl-Edm proposal

to Edm:
Souray

to Mtl
1st 07, MAB

I believe you guys have Ahn's 1st this year, right? If so, trading the 1st + MAB for Souray might be worthwhile even if Souray doesn't re-sign?

thoughts?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Barney Gumble

Souray is a pylon. Sure he scores tons of goals on the power play (a big reason the Habs probably won't trade him, they're terrible 5 on 5, and dealing him would make their PP weak as they don't have another player who can shoot from the point anywhere remotely like him), but I think the Oilers (from a non-Oiler fan viewpoint) need a mobile defenseman who can get the puck to your forwards (without being a defensive liability).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:38 AM
OntOilFan

I knew we were overdue for a Souray thread.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

See this is the type of deal I hope Lowe can stay away from.

It would make us slightly better this year, and hurt us really bad in a couple.

Unless our team goes on a 3-5 game winning steak here and show that they have turned the corner, the only deal I would be comfortable would be trading a 2nd + mid level prospect for any dman that would help.

If we don't go on that streak or that type of deal isn't avaliable, keep your assets and look towards next year.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Cerebral

I'm really not sure if Souray is the type of guy we need. He definitely has an absolute cannon but I'd rather have a more creative defenceman as we already have two guys with cannons in Stoll and Bergeron. We need a guy who can move the puck out of the zone effectively and play some reliable minutes for us (like Stuart).

01-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I'm really not sure if Souray is the type of guy we need. He definitely has an absolute cannon but I'd rather have a more creative defenceman as we already have two guys with cannons in Stoll and Bergeron. We need a guy who can move the puck out of the zone effectively and play some reliable minutes for us (like Stuart).
O so you mean Markov

He is really the guy that makes that Montreal PP go. Just a great all around player. Montreal would never move him though.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
O so you mean Markov

He is really the guy that makes that Montreal PP go. Just a great all around player. Montreal would never move him though.
More or less - I think the situation with Markov and Souray in Montreal is very similar to what Toronto has with Kaberle and McCabe. We already have guys who can get the puck on net, we need a true powerplay quarterback.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:02 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
O so you mean Markov

Personally, I like Souray and think he would be a good addition. But Markov would be a better one.

He is UFA too, maybe Montreal resigns Souray and lets Markov go?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:04 AM
The Polak*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Personally, I like Souray and think he would be a good addition. But Markov would be a better one.

He is UFA too, maybe Montreal resigns Souray and lets Markov go?
That's about as likely as edmonton signing sykora and letting smyth walk.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
More or less - I think the situation with Markov and Souray in Montreal is very similar to what Toronto has with Kaberle and McCabe.
Precisely. Markov is underrated and is the key player on their blueline. The Habs can't afford to not resign him. He ain't going anywhere but is exactly the kind of player the Oilers need IMHO.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:44 AM
CB420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
to Edm:
Souray

to Mtl
1st 07, MAB

I believe you guys have Ahn's 1st this year, right? If so, trading the 1st + MAB for Souray might be worthwhile even if Souray doesn't re-sign?

thoughts?
HMm, yeah I Wouldnt nessicarily be against that deal. I dont think Kevin Lowe would wanna deal away Bergeron, if he is from MTL, trades like this kinda seem more geological from that standpoint imo, Souray an Alberta Native, and Bergeron a Quebec native, not to say that it wouldnt work out, and sure players do like playing in their hometowns, not all as we've seen with Lupul this year, sometimes it doesnt always equal a good fit...Altho I did think Lupul had one of his best shifts of the year against L.A Saturday lol, he had a good shot on net, and then created another scoring chance off a 4 check...anyways though, Souray does have his weaknesses on defence, minus -9 on the year, he scores alot when hes out there, but he's giving up almost as many, plus more when he's on the ice.

And plus what other ppl have mentioned on this thread, Souray without him on their PP it drops down about 20rankings, without his laser sighted shot from the point, with his backchecking game, its not as if hes a horrible skater, souray is ok, hes not the fastest, but he's 6"4, he moves slowly but he gets around, it's just when hes out there more times then not he's fishing the puck out of his own net. If Souray can come here, and not just be rental player, but Kevin Lowe cant even gaurntee that, I guess aparently Sourays wife hails from the L.A bay area, so some sources close to him around the leauge, think that if he doesnt get traded, he will end up in one of the 3 California teams, assuming they can take his contract under the cap. I still doubt that MTL's GM bob Gainey would pull the trigger on that deal, unless they had another deal in the works, and the players comming back could pick the slack of loosing sourays 16 or 17 PPG goals. bruce garrioch has stated that the Habs have shown a bit of interest in Ladislav Nagy, a skill player that might be able to compliement, Samsonov and Kovalev... but if Phoenix stays in the playoff race, might be willing to hang on to him a bit longer. The habs are apparently also trying to move samsonov lol, so with his contract, they r more likely then not gonna have to eat his salary for this year, and nexts...unless some team is interested in samsonov at 3.5 this year and next...with how many goals on the year? 7 or 8? Good luck

btw. did anyone know that one of Samsonovs nicknames is "The Magical Muscovite" ? I dont even know what that means ahah, this is according to wikipedia.org He must have been dubbed that in his earlier NHL days, or from his playing days in russia for CSKA Moscow... maybe muscovite is the russian equivalent of "magician" not this year anyways for "sammy"

Last edited by CB420: 01-29-2007 at 01:53 AM.
CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:21 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
to Edm:
Souray

to Mtl
1st 07, MAB

thoughts?
pass I am not a sourey fan

I do not want the oilers get any UFA to be

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
to Edm:
Souray

to Mtl
1st 07, MAB

thoughts?
There is no chance that enough to get Souray this year, but if there were any chance of getting this done, I would say DO IT YESTERDAY!

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Here's a plan, instead of creating a new Souray thread every week or so, how about we designate someone to bump the old Souray thread so that we can rehash the same argument over and over and over and over?

01-29-2007, 03:16 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Here's a plan, instead of creating a new Souray thread every week or so, how about we designate someone to bump the old Souray thread so that we can rehash the same argument over and over and over and over?
absolutely. i'm getting tired of having to type "Sheldon Souray is not a good defenceman" in multiple threads.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
There is no chance that enough to get Souray this year, but if there were any chance of getting this done, I would say DO IT YESTERDAY!

How do you have 5000+ posts? Do you honestly think 30 games of Souray who is -9 is worth MAB who is locked up at a mill the next 2 years and a 1st? "No chance that is enough" I wouldn't trade a 1st or MAB for Souray straight up.

I guess you don't understand the value of 1st rounders or D that score 10-15 goals making 1 million bucks.

Can you tell me a better D that you can find for a million that teams would actually trade away? You want Smyth signed? You want a Stuart signed? If you do you need affordable players like Bergie.

Last edited by Traktor*: 01-29-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:34 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Ahh the weekly Souray to Edmonton thread.

As said many, many times before.

Montreal is not going to trade Souray if they are in a position to make the playoffs which they are.

Second, Souray just plain sucks and is only an upgrade slightly on our PP. He's basically MAB with a better shot.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Ahh the weekly Souray to Edmonton thread.

As said many, many times before.

Montreal is not going to trade Souray if they are in a position to make the playoffs which they are.

Second, Souray just plain sucks and is only an upgrade slightly on our PP. He's basically MAB with a better shot.
and 6 inches and 30 pounds.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote