HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League: Torts Goes Hulk Mode

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2014, 02:00 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Maggie with 5pts in 28 games with Blues and is -6. lol, yes, -6. How do you even get a - playing in ST louis? Not one other regular Blues player is -. Only maggie.

Meanwhile Omark with 1 pt in 9games for Buffalo.

How on Earth did Gagner actually manage some production with these busts?
Sure wish Gagner played with the determination that he has in the past

Old
01-19-2014, 02:01 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Didn't really read above but saw the word goon lots. I agree that we should goon it up. Unfortunately we got a bunch of candy ass pansies and no Tortorella.

Old
01-19-2014, 03:55 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Didn't really read above but saw the word goon lots. I agree that we should goon it up. Unfortunately we got a bunch of candy ass pansies and no Tortorella.
What goes around comes around.

As for MPS and Omark, no real surprises. The Perron deal is still a steal.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:39 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

On the main board some people are failing to fully the implications of the flames sending their goons out for that face off--Torts went nuts--but hartley set the play in motion

Old
01-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
On the main board some people are failing to fully the implications of the flames sending their goons out for that face off--Torts went nuts--but hartley set the play in motion
How often does Vancouver try and get their 1st pairing and top 6 guys out against bottom 6 competition with last change?

As often as they can. Torts is a moron.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:49 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
How often does Vancouver try and get their 1st pairing and top 6 guys out against bottom 6 competition with last change?

Given that Calgary's goons jumped on Vancouver's right off the faceoff it was probably not that dumb to match lines that way.

Old
01-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Torts is awesome

Old
01-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Given that Calgary's goons jumped on Vancouver's right off the faceoff it was probably not that dumb to match lines that way.
If Fonzie started the Sedin line, McGrattan and co. would have been trying to get off the ice from the drop of the puck. McGrattan isn't going to jump Daniel Sedin, and Fonzie knew it. He took the bait anyway. If he had better fighters, it might have been a smart play. But he has punching bags like Weise and Sestito out there. Starting the Sedin line instead probably leads to a scoring chance right off the bat. But Fonz would rather whine and play the victim in the whole thing.

Old
01-19-2014, 07:26 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
If Fonzie started the Sedin line, McGrattan and co. would have been trying to get off the ice from the drop of the puck. McGrattan isn't going to jump Daniel Sedin, and Fonzie knew it. He took the bait anyway. If he had better fighters, it might have been a smart play. But he has punching bags like Weise and Sestito out there. Starting the Sedin line instead probably leads to a scoring chance right off the bat. But Fonz would rather whine and play the victim in the whole thing.
You're probably right, which makes the Steve MacIntyre argument all the more ridiculous in the other thread.

Old
01-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
You're probably right, which makes the Steve MacIntyre argument all the more ridiculous in the other thread.
I must have missed the part where it was suggested the Oilers need Steve MacIntyre to fight Daniel Sedin, though I haven't visited that thread in some time.

Old
01-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Ding ding ding.
He did the EXACT same thing last year when DeBoer (was it DeBoer?) started his 4th line in MSG.

Old
01-19-2014, 09:25 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
People are pretty ignorant in their near sighted cause-and-effect.
Hartley isnt a moron. He saw the Canucks western road trip... saw the thuggery...saw the 8 losses in 9 games...saw the call ups... knew the players... and knows the antics and history of Torts to make a scene on home ice.

Now if you dont take into account all the crap that happened during the Western trip than dont comment. Hartley, like any good coach, weighed the likely scenarios.
As Hartley already stated... VANCOUVER HAS THE LUXURY of last change. He does not. Last game they (van and cal) played has some heat and its safe to say Torts wasnt going to be a friendly host after that road trip.

Torts doesnt have to respond with his 4th line... nor his 1st. Last time i checked they have 4 lines.

To me Hartley knew what would happen and Torts had his excuse.

Anyone complaining about Hartley ... needs to do what Torts recommends... know the coach. Ask NJ about Torts opening lineups.

--------------------------------

the line brawl isnt even a big deal...but dont be a child...it is definitely Torts fault and Hartley was ready for what Torts history shows he was going to do anyways.

Obviously people didnt pay attention to the Canucks road trip or the previous game where Hanzal pretty much used his stick to destroy 3 Nucks in response to what he felt were their gooning antics.

WHAT IS a big deal is Torts could have been beaten to death in that hallway. I **** you not. That was a more dangerous situation than people know. He is lucky alot of cooler heads were there.
In the history of hockey its the off ice incidents that usually lead to people in comas and dying.

wake up. Torts better turn down his drama dial

-------------------------

ONLY A MORON coach would walk into GM place, look at video of the Canucks road swing, look at the Canucks call ups, know the history of the last flames-nucks meeting... know Torts' history for taking the spotlight and being a dramatic moron because he wants to be that role... and then throw out his 1st line. HAHAHA get a brain.

Last edited by oilinblood: 01-19-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old
01-19-2014, 10:58 PM
Kyle McMahon

^

Very good summary.

As I said yesterday, the Canucks are the ultimate "dish it out, but can't take it back" team. The Fonz's coaching embodies that perfectly. His teams have never been short on goons, yet he takes great offense to other teams beefing up in response.

He also went ballistic on Ken Hitchcock for allegedly trash talking in a Philly-Tampa Bay series in 2004, claiming the coaches need to "shut their yaps, and let the players play the game". Yet how many times have we seen the shark jumper himself in a tirade on the bench screaming his head off at the other team's coach? It's happened twice this year alone.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:05 AM
dem

Finally watched the flames/canucks circus

Honestly.. I was expecting much more. Pretty tame line brawl. Torts wasnt throwing sticks or anything. The media sure blew this up to be much worse than it was.

If that classic Avs/Wings brawl happened today.. i swear the entire NHL would be suspended for a year.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Homer gives out another bad contract. Mason's contract is too much for a couple of months of good goalie play. Talk about not learning yeesh.
I had to chuckle, at least it was a shorter term. Still horrid though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Torterella is going to get suspended for that lol woooow he's pissed and still trying to give em hell........wow!!! I'm looking forward to his presser!!!
Just a question as I can't remember, but when was the last time a coach had an in person hearing? That and when was the last time a coach was suspended?

As for the game I didn't watch and didn't know about it until yesterday, but what exactly happened for this to go off? Torts fault as far as I can see. He has last change and could've prevented this.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:12 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Finally watched the flames/canucks circus

Honestly.. I was expecting much more. Pretty tame line brawl. Torts wasnt throwing sticks or anything. The media sure blew this up to be much worse than it was.

If that classic Avs/Wings brawl happened today.. i swear the entire NHL would be suspended for a year.
Didn't Torts go after Mcgrattan and someone else by their dressing room?

Old
01-20-2014, 11:25 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Hartley isnt a moron. He saw the Canucks western road trip... saw the thuggery...saw the 8 losses in 9 games...saw the call ups... knew the players... and knows the antics and history of Torts to make a scene on home ice.

Now if you dont take into account all the crap that happened during the Western trip than dont comment. Hartley, like any good coach, weighed the likely scenarios.
As Hartley already stated... VANCOUVER HAS THE LUXURY of last change. He does not. Last game they (van and cal) played has some heat and its safe to say Torts wasnt going to be a friendly host after that road trip.

Torts doesnt have to respond with his 4th line... nor his 1st. Last time i checked they have 4 lines.

Anyone complaining about Hartley ... needs to do what Torts recommends... know the coach. Ask NJ about Torts opening lineups.

the line brawl isnt even a big deal...but dont be a child...it is definitely Torts fault and Hartley was ready for what Torts history shows he was going to do anyways.

Obviously people didnt pay attention to the Canucks road trip or the previous game where Hanzal pretty much used his stick to destroy 3 Nucks in response to what he felt were their gooning antics.

WHAT IS a big deal is Torts could have been beaten to death in that hallway. I **** you not. That was a more dangerous situation than people know. He is lucky alot of cooler heads were there.
In the history of hockey its the off ice incidents that usually lead to people in comas and dying.

ONLY A MORON coach would walk into GM place, look at video of the Canucks road swing, look at the Canucks call ups, know the history of the last flames-nucks meeting... know Torts' history for taking the spotlight and being a dramatic moron because he wants to be that role... and then throw out his 1st line. HAHAHA get a brain.
An interesting perspective, but I don't buy it at all. In my opinion Hartley should be suspended far longer than Torts. Torts' lockerroom antics were bad and he needs to pay the consequences for it - totally agreed. However, the NHL is about hockey and not about calculated moves to try and start brawls, which is EXACTLY what Hartley (who has been called out by players for being a piece of crap person) did that night.

If the NHL really cared about how they are viewed by the rest of the world (thugs, fighting, cavemen) then they would slam Hartley with an atrocious suspension. But the NHL has no balls and will punish Torts for responding in a no-win situation.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:34 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
An interesting perspective, but I don't buy it at all. In my opinion Hartley should be suspended far longer than Torts. Torts' lockerroom antics were bad and he needs to pay the consequences for it - totally agreed. However, the NHL is about hockey and not about calculated moves to try and start brawls, which is EXACTLY what Hartley (who has been called out by players for being a piece of crap person) did that night.

If the NHL really cared about how they are viewed by the rest of the world (thugs, fighting, cavemen) then they would slam Hartley with an atrocious suspension. But the NHL has no balls and will punish Torts for responding in a no-win situation.
I'd like to see them slam Hartley and then have him sue the NHL. The guy didn't have the last change, good luck winning a legal battle. That and where does it say you can't start your 4th line?

Old
01-20-2014, 12:42 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'd like to see them slam Hartley and then have him sue the NHL. The guy didn't have the last change, good luck winning a legal battle. That and where does it say you can't start your 4th line?
That's an excellent point. You're probably right that they don't have any "rulebook" way to punish Hartley, so they probably can't do anything about it.

Not sure what the proper response is here then. Bob Hartley is the NHL coach version of an internet troll, so how do you deal with guys like that in the NHL. Not sure.

EDIT: Wait a minute. Ron Rolston was fined for "player selection and team conduct" so there is obviously some kind of precedent there. So ultimately it comes down to whether the NHL really gives a crap about it's image as a caveman league - and it clearly doesn't. In fact, it probably enjoys it since it gets the bloodthirsty into the crowds.

Last edited by doulos: 01-20-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old
01-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post

Good post, I don't feel the need to add much, but one thing that really caught my attention the other night was Bieksa.

PJ Stock was even mentioning how much or a hero Bieksa was for taking that face-off for the kid blah blah blah.

I thought it was just ridiculous how Bieksa opted out of the fight with McGratton as quickly as he could and then went directly to a Calgary rookie and started a fight.

Bieksa is anything but a hero, the guy is a ****in loser from the get-go and him playing the pacifist against McGratton and then looking for an easy target is as cowardly as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6JTOLgMyg0

Just another video of how to start a fight "Canuck style" - don't let them see you coming.

Old
01-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
EDIT: Wait a minute. Ron Rolston was fined for "player selection and team conduct" so there is obviously some kind of precedent there. So ultimately it comes down to whether the NHL really gives a crap about it's image as a caveman league - and it clearly doesn't. In fact, it probably enjoys it since it gets the bloodthirsty into the crowds.
Who really cares what lineup Hartley started the game with? Those guys are on the team and it's discriminatory to say that they can't start the game.

The Canucks are the still the most classless team in the league dating back from the Cooke/Ruutu days to the present. Add Bertuzzi's ******-baggery to the list along with Bieksa and now Kassian, they go out of their way to find the lowest players in the league and egg them on (see Crawford's televised threats).

This is the epitome of how to be a classless a-hole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf9SAo9jBhI

Old
01-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Good post, I don't feel the need to add much, but one thing that really caught my attention the other night was Bieksa.

PJ Stock was even mentioning how much or a hero Bieksa was for taking that face-off for the kid blah blah blah.

I thought it was just ridiculous how Bieksa opted out of the fight with McGratton as quickly as he could and then went directly to a Calgary rookie and started a fight.

Bieksa is anything but a hero, the guy is a ****in loser from the get-go and him playing the pacifist against McGratton and then looking for an easy target is as cowardly as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6JTOLgMyg0

Just another video of how to start a fight "Canuck style" - don't let them see you coming.
It wasn't McGratton, it was Westgarth, but I agree, Bieksa is a clown who only fights people who don't normally fight (Patrick Marleau/Viktor Stalberg) and he normally jumps who ever he's fighting. So tough.

Old
01-20-2014, 04:40 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

The best part is tortolrella did the exact same thing 3 nights earlier in LA sending Sestito after Brown on the opening puck drop lol and then kassian did the same thing 2 shifts later.

Both coaches are to blame, Hartley has always been a provoker of dirty play, remember when we had the line brawl vs atlanta? actually Mact never shyed away from it either.

tortorella set the tone putting Bieksa at C, that was the tell tale sign that its on. at least they made a flames game entertaining.

Old
01-20-2014, 06:05 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
The best part is tortolrella did the exact same thing 3 nights earlier in LA sending Sestito after Brown on the opening puck drop lol and then kassian did the same thing 2 shifts later.

Both coaches are to blame, Hartley has always been a provoker of dirty play, remember when we had the line brawl vs atlanta? actually Mact never shyed away from it either.

tortorella set the tone putting Bieksa at C, that was the tell tale sign that its on. at least they made a flames game entertaining.
Sestito did not take the opening faceoff against Brown, Kassian did. Get your facts right.

Secondly I see a lot of posters here bashing Torts and Hartley, yet if you were offered a straight up trade to send Eakins for either of those coaches you would do it in a heartbeat. Those guys are stanley cup winners and Eakins is arguably the worst coach in the league

And last you joke about about how "at least they made a flames game entertaining" well every time I watch the Flames games they are entertaining because they actually compete when they play and even when the Canucks are struggling the games are entertaining because they are sticking up for themselves and fighting a lot. The Oilers games are boring to watch, they don't compete and they don't stick up for themselves, at least if your loosing make the games worth watching

The Flames and the Canucks are both teams that chop wood and carry water

Old
01-20-2014, 06:41 PM
yukoner88

6 games to Torts, 25k fine to Hartley

The fine to Hartley is some what questionable but the suspension is bang on imo

Closed Thread