HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What are the CHANCES???

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 09:07 PM
streetballer03

vCash: 500
What are the CHANCES???

of the Oilers shippin a package to NYI for DiPietro?

How bout this

Any 2 star players + Jani Rita + Philly's 1st

for

DiPietro and Niinimaa

Milbury is a sucker for these kinds of deals. I would so take advantage of him is if ever got drunk enough to let DiPietro go. Do you guys think he could solve our goaltending woes?

Old
01-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetballer03
of the Oilers shippin a package to NYI for DiPietro?

How bout this

Any 2 star players + Jani Rita + Philly's 1st

for

DiPietro and Niinimaa
You have to have star players before you can ship them out. That said, I like Ricky D.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:09 PM
streetballer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
You have to have star players before you can ship them out. That said, I like Ricky D.
hahaha well said. The closest thing we have to star players are Brewer, Smyth, and Hemsky and if we let one of them go....we'll be rebuilding for the next 3 years....

Old
01-29-2004, 09:12 PM
USC Trojans
AD

I like Rick Di (The goalie, not the DJ) as well. He's playing pretty well this season and I doubt Milbury will make another Luongo type mistake.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:15 PM
streetballer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
I like Rick Di (The goalie, not the DJ) as well. He's playing pretty well this season and I doubt Milbury will make another Luongo type mistake.
true enough, but we're talking about the same guy who screwed the Islanders over by trading Bertuzzi, Torres, Luongo, and so many more other player that i cant think of right now. That team woud be so great if he had patience. Maybe he wants Salo back? we can always wish.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:37 PM
copperandblue

I'm not sold on DiPietro

He is still 2 yrs away until he can really be counted on as a starter.

He has a monsterous ego and I would peg him as a guy most likely to be trouble when a contract renewal is needed.

NY doesn't have much behind DiPietro so although I could picture Milbury repeat a past mistake and trade him, I think it would cost a premium.

Personally I would like to see Lowe go after Biron. Buffalo has to move a goaltender so the price would likely be reasonable.

He's coming to the age were he is just maturing as a goaltender and yet is still young enough that there is still room for him to grow with a young team and at 2 mil he is reasonable in salary.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

i wouldnt sacrifice that much until i was convinced that we could contend with a star goalie and a bad team infront of him. i dont think we could. trading say brewer and hemsky, means trading our best forward in 3 years and our best defenseman in 3 years for a great goalie. ninimmaa might lessen the blow, but hes older than Brew and more injury proned. If you wanna stay on the same path though, how about Oullette?

Old
01-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Mizral

copperandblue,

I'm with you on DiPietro. Overrated and egotistical.

But Biron? Martin Biron? The guy is 27 and still isn't a #1 goalie, maybe never will be. He's way too inconsistant. I don't think he's the answer in the least.

As I've said before, I'd take a flyer on Zac Bierk. He has never got a legit shot at things, and I personally think he could be a #1 goaltender if given the chance. He would come real cheap too - if the Yotes want to help the Oilers that is.

Another idea might be Matthieu Garon in Montreal.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
copperandblue,

I'm with you on DiPietro. Overrated and egotistical.

But Biron? Martin Biron? The guy is 27 and still isn't a #1 goalie, maybe never will be. He's way too inconsistant. I don't think he's the answer in the least.

As I've said before, I'd take a flyer on Zac Bierk. He has never got a legit shot at things, and I personally think he could be a #1 goaltender if given the chance. He would come real cheap too - if the Yotes want to help the Oilers that is.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Don't get Biron!!! He's 27 and still isn't a #1 goalie yet!!!

Get Bierk!!!!

P.S. Mizral...... Bierk is 28 and isn't even an NHL backup yet.

Old
01-29-2004, 10:21 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Get Bierk!!!!

you beat me to saying the exact same thing.

Ouellet is a good choice. Washington has got some great goaltending depth so, for the right price, we could get him. Maybe send them Oates back since they got him in the Oates trade.

Old
01-29-2004, 10:31 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

I am of the school that you shouldn't really expect a goalie to become a starter before he is 26 or 27.

Guys like Brodeur and Roy are rare exceptions.

Guys like Blackburn, DiPietro and Fleury are a good example of giving them too much responsibilty way too soon in hopes that they are a rare exception. Frankly I would be concerned that some of them could see their careers damaged as a result (Blackburn probably the most likely at this point).

Even guys like Boucher and Johnston were relied on way too much, way too soon and I bet in a couple years Johnston looks like a real steal for what ever team gets him.

On the flip side you have guys like Conklin that are good backups but will likely never be more because the time they need to mature into the calibre of a good NHL back up goalie, it's the same time it takes a good NHL goalie to become a starter.

But as far as a good safe path for a goaltender to become a starter, they should see NHL action in around 22-24 yrs and progressively get more and more responsibility.

Biron has seen the growing pains and probably will continue for a year or two but I don't think we are even close to seeing the best from him.

As for Garon, I actually like him as a goalie but he is just now seeing NHL action and he is already 26. I am not sold on him as a guy to depend on as a starter.

Old
01-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Get Bierk!!!!

I know Bierk is 28. But there's a big difference in so much that Biron's got a legitimate shot. The closest Bierk had to a chance to being the #1 goalie was when Burke went down last year, but then he got injured too.

He was a great, great goaltending in the OHL. Like, wow. I think he is a late bloomer, similar to another former Yotes goaltender - Robert Esche.

Not saying he will be a #1. But I think he's worth the shot.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Boondock Saint

I see what you're saying, Miz....... I just couldn't pass that one up. Ya, he hasn't really been given a shot at being a #1 anywhere, but he hasn't really earned a shot at being a #1, either.

He has very unimpressive stats for this season in his NHL in his limited starts and is only two years removed from the ECHL.

If I'm KLo, I look elsewhere....... perhaps someone younger like Ahonen, who doesn't seem to ever have a chance in NJ, with Marty around, as well as Schwab and Clemmenson.......

Closed Thread