HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Philadelphia re-signs Steve Mason [3 years, $4.1M AAV]

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2014, 04:27 PM
huntison

vCash: 500
Pretty much the same deal Schneider got...

Old
01-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Terrible deal for Philly. Mason is one of the worst ES goalies in the league...and most of the game is played on ES.

Old
01-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Terrible deal for Philly. Mason is one of the worst ES goalies in the league...and most of the game is played on ES.
Not in Philly

Old
01-19-2014, 05:01 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Trust me on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
Because people who watch him play every game have better data than those who simply check the stats every so often.
I've seen too much of everyday Mase, wish him well but he would have had to prove more to me before he got this contract.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
I've seen too much of everyday Mase, wish him well but he would have had to prove more to me before he got this contract.
To be fair, I think Mason has played pretty well over the same span that Bobrovsky has.

I think Bob's played well long enough to prove himself as a very good starting goaltender in Columbus. Ergo, I also think Mason has played strong long enough to prove himself as a *decent* starting goaltender which is what $4.1M AAV is worth nowadays. Move either away from their current teams and all bets are off though. Who knows how Mase would do outside of Philly (ironic, right?) and same goes for Bobrovsky in Columbus.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
4mil for Mason??? Good lord.. Philly really is the epitome of stupid contracts for goalies. With that solid defense in front of Mason there is no reason he doesn't win the Vez sooner than later.

WAY OVERPAID!!! But Flyers fans keep telling yourself its a great signing
Flyers have one of the worst currently constructed defenses in the league. No one is saying its great, its a fair contract...

Old
01-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Rectify
I HAVE A JOB!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Thanks for the honest opinion from a Pens fan...it's refreshing.

And you guys have to hope Fleury doesn't turn back into a 3rd stringer in the playoffs. Very few goalies in the league come without risks.
Yup, you guys have no idea how Mason will be in the playoffs. We already know Fleury blows

Old
01-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Butcher

It's a fairly decent contract, the only thing I have against it is that I think the signing is too early. I think it would have been better to wait until the off season given Mason's performance in other years.

There is risk either way, but depending on how he performs the rest of the year and in the playoffs the difference could be between deciding he is not who you want as a starting goalie or paying an extra $500k per season. I would take the risk of paying a bit extra over that of having a $4 million backup.

Closed Thread