HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Watching PVR'd Sports

Old
01-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Swarez

vCash: 500
Watching PVR'd Sports

One of the reasons the NHL, and other sports leagues are getting so much money for there TV contracts is because of they are PVR proof. People want to watch live sporting events.

Over last few months, with a busy schedule at work and just lots of events happening around the holidays/weekends I started PVR'n a lot of football games and little bit of hockey. I am actually finding this way more enjoyable than watching games live, no commercials, skip pre-game, sideline interviews, half time etc.

Last night for example I was out until about 830, but recorded the Habs/Leafs game. It took me about 90 mins to watch the entire game, no commercials, skipped over anthem, most of hockey day in Canada coverage etc just focused on the hockey.

I am going to do this for the football games today, I am taking my niece out to the aquarium shortly and won't be home until 5-6, but than will throw on the Denver/Pats game and will probably bang it out in like an hour, than go over to the late game. Will probably get 6 hours of football in 2-3 hours.

I know others do this, but probably a really small %, especially older people. But at the gym this morning I was talking to some younger guys (I'm late 20's they are early 20's). They actually plan there sports this way, last night one of the guys had people at his house at 9PM, but recorded the game, and watched it "live" his friends before going to a bar. They do this most Saturday nights now. He says lots of people at his University do this, its probably 50/50 for sports live vs jumping in hour or two in.

Just curious to know how many others do this, or at least plan there sports this way.
-There are some things you have to do to enjoy the game and keep drama alive, most obvious is do not find out about the score. So no twitter/FB, news sites etc.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:34 AM
ScottyBowman

Never. If I don't watch it live, I don't watch it all. They show all the highlights of importance on one of the 500 sports channels so you don't really miss anything.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:51 AM
68 Z-28

With the changes life has thrown and a busier schedule I have been recording hockey games and watching later and often jumping through commericals, intermissions and even jumping between whistles without commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Never. If I don't watch it live, I don't watch it all. They show all the highlights of importance on one of the 500 sports channels so you don't really miss anything.
It's really easy to not put on one of those sports channels or check social media that may spoil a score.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Billy6

I do this all the time. With two kids under the age of 4 and a busy work schedule it's pretty much a necessity for me if I want to watch sports.

Billy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Swarez

Do you guys enjoy it more/less/same as watching it live?

Right now I am actually enjoying it more, which a few months ago I wouldn't think I would.

I actually just recorded the Lakers/Raptors game right now as well, I have watched maybe 2 of the raps games all year but if I can bang it out in like 30-40 mins when I get home I might actually invest time in watching them a bit more as they no longer suck.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:05 PM
FlamesFanatic12
The Next Owski

vCash: 50
I work during almost all Flames games, so I always PVR them,and watch them when i get home while i eat

FlamesFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:16 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
When I worked at Taco Bell during college on the late shift I'd avoid the score and then watch it. Now I don't have the patience for that; if I can't watch I'm following the score on my phone.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Not only do I watch plenty of games on my PVR. I watch those I already know the score to. If it's a good game, I'm entertained regardless. Sometimes I have other things I want to do, like for instance, I should be writing, hence why I have the Bruins/Hawks game recording.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:30 PM
mapes

I did this a lot for the WJCs since games were on in the middle of the day.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Slashers98

Since I have young kids, I always PVR at the least the first period and avoid social media so we can start watching the game a little bit later. It's very useful!

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:15 PM
scotchex

No, I'll watch highlights of a game I miss. Watching the whole thing from start to finish is pointless.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I almost never DVR live events unless I have to miss a Pens playoff game for some reason.

I like the idea of fast-forwarding through the commercials, but more often than not I wind up fast-forwarding through the bulk of the first two periods.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:23 PM
19nazzy

I prefer DVRing sports. Too many commercials and it's a much larger time investment than sitting down and watching it after it has been recorded.

01-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Hollywood Burrows

My real problem with PVRing is it prevents me from following along with the game on twitter and hfboards, which is a big part of the fun. Otherwise it's an invaluable tool, especially for the commercial skipping.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:50 PM
PCSPounder

So, you're fast-forwarding through all the commercials. Most of the respondents here are doing it (I know, I know, I need not the lecture about scientific sampling and sample sizes).

So why will Rogers match what they just paid for the next contract renewal? At some point, someone big is going to decide that their sports sponsorship just doesn't pan out.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 09:38 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Do it all the time. Sooo much more efficient. Take today for example - high clouds and sun and 75 degrees in Phoenix... went inline skating for a couple of hours, then returned home and just got done watching both NFL conf. championship games (and the 3rd period of Bruins-Blackhawks, which I'd left unwatched before I left) in their entirety, and missed nothing.

And didn't spend all freaking day on my a**.

It's gotten to the point where if I'm planning on watching an NHL game live, I'll start it on the DVR and wait an hour. Usually I catch up right as the game ends live, and I only spent 90 minutes doing it.

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Hamilton Tigers

I do it somewhat often, especially with NFL games which I find fairly slow paced. There are only so many slow motion replays of reactions of, say, ... a coach, or Jerry Jones, or someone's wife or whomever. sometimes the time between plays is almost maddening.

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez View Post
I am going to do this for the football games today, I am taking my niece out to the aquarium shortly and won't be home until 5-6, but than will throw on the Denver/Pats game and will probably bang it out in like an hour, than go over to the late game. Will probably get 6 hours of football in 2-3 hours.
If you can get it to only show you the scenes where the ball is actually in play, you can get through both games in 22 minutes. Like watching a sitcom.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Jetsfan79

My wife doesn't like sports so I have no choice to PVR

Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 10:43 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
My wife doesn't like sports so I have no choice to PVR
Get a new wife.

Or a TV in the basement.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 10:49 PM
tony d
The franchise

My life's not overly busy but it's still great to have a PVR, that way you can record the game and go back and watch it later or as often as you want to.

01-19-2014, 10:50 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Do you know the score before you watch your DVRed game?

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:02 AM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
Do you know the score before you watch your DVRed game?
Nope. You get pretty good at avoiding knowing after a while. Rule #1 is avoid ESPN/ABC (and now to some extent, Fox), or if you must watch it...at least know when the sport you're trying to avoid is coming up and have the discipline to not look down there at the ticker.

Makes you wonder when, someday, the TV revenue will start diminishing once companies figure out no one's watching their ads. Certainly we don't seem to have reached that point yet.

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 04:30 AM
68 Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
I do it somewhat often, especially with NFL games which I find fairly slow paced. There are only so many slow motion replays of reactions of, say, ... a coach, or Jerry Jones, or someone's wife or whomever. sometimes the time between plays is almost maddening.
This is from the wall street journal in 2010...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...02852055561406

So that's about 11 minutes of actual playing time in ~3 hour broadcast.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 06:09 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
So, you're fast-forwarding through all the commercials. Most of the respondents here are doing it (I know, I know, I need not the lecture about scientific sampling and sample sizes).

So why will Rogers match what they just paid for the next contract renewal? At some point, someone big is going to decide that their sports sponsorship just doesn't pan out.
Live sports still provides allot of content hours for a TV station and although people do PVR they PVR sports less and also gather to watch games more than any other TV.

Like other posters up I have two kids under 6 so the PVR is necessary but I will always enjoy real time sports more.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote