HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Someone please explain this to me

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2007, 10:45 PM
  #1
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Someone please explain this to me

I dont post here often but for some reason I am choosing now as the time to post this question...

Why is it that in our defensive zone, when the other team has possession of the puck and is cycling, two or more of our players tend to be drawn to one player leaving other players in open space.

I am 19 years old and never played hockey growing up but I have watched virtually every rangers game for about 10 years. I did grow up however playing soccer and basketball. In these sports, especially basketball, you learn to play man-to-man and deny the ball. It does not make sense to me why we always seem to lose sight of opposing players so close to our own goal.

I hope someone can clarify why this happens so oftne because its been bugging me for a while.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:47 PM
  #2
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,947
vCash: 500
Pure and simple the Rangers have had a very bad habit of running around in their own zone for too many years now. Hopefully with some new blood coming into the system this will change. We lack poise in our own end...to put it mildly.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:51 PM
  #3
NYCLV
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Pure and simple the Rangers have had a very bad habit of running around in their own zone for too many years now. Hopefully with some new blood coming into the system this will change. We lack poise in our own end...to put it mildly.

Positional hockey is lost on most of these guys. It is also hard to cover five guys when one of your linemates doesn't really backcheck. Plus, the communication between pairings on defense has been missing until recently. Girardi and Tyutin REALLY had it going throughout the game....constantly pointing and talking back and forth during the play so each knew what the other was doing.

NYCLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:02 PM
  #4
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I dont post here often but for some reason I am choosing now as the time to post this question...

Why is it that in our defensive zone, when the other team has possession of the puck and is cycling, two or more of our players tend to be drawn to one player leaving other players in open space.

I am 19 years old and never played hockey growing up but I have watched virtually every rangers game for about 10 years. I did grow up however playing soccer and basketball. In these sports, especially basketball, you learn to play man-to-man and deny the ball. It does not make sense to me why we always seem to lose sight of opposing players so close to our own goal.

I hope someone can clarify why this happens so oftne because its been bugging me for a while.
Marek Malik

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:04 PM
  #5
PanniniClaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Teams cycle in the hope of drawing players out of position, it also keeps possession of the puck and tires the opponent out. What can happen at times is a defender follows a player up the wall and when he cycles the defender momentarily watches the puck get cycled and that may be all the offensive player needs to get free from his check. Hockey is faster than soccer and basketball and in hockey matchups are harder to define with so many different lines and combinations. Teams do not set out to cause chaos in their own zone but some players are just better than others at identifying their man and then staying with him. Some teams do not panic when there is sustained pressure while others come off the rails trying to do too much.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:41 PM
  #6
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Marek Malik
That sums it up. Good work, Tom .

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:31 AM
  #7
dank
Registered User
 
dank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLV View Post
Positional hockey is lost on most of these guys. It is also hard to cover five guys when one of your linemates doesn't really backcheck. Plus, the communication between pairings on defense has been missing until recently. Girardi and Tyutin REALLY had it going throughout the game....constantly pointing and talking back and forth during the play so each knew what the other was doing.
everything is pretty much spot on.. very very good points.. i would see Girardi going after the puck and players in the corner, and the puck would go around the back to the other corner.. instead of running after the players, he told his partner to go and take care of it while he stood in front of the net, taking care of the traffic..

i am just getting all the intricacies of the game, and its really nice to notice good plays and techniques as opposed to bad.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:44 AM
  #8
NYCLV
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
everything is pretty much spot on.. very very good points.. i would see Girardi going after the puck and players in the corner, and the puck would go around the back to the other corner.. instead of running after the players, he told his partner to go and take care of it while he stood in front of the net, taking care of the traffic..

i am just getting all the intricacies of the game, and its really nice to notice good plays and techniques as opposed to bad.


Thank you.

If you REALLY wanna see the little thing, buy tickets behind the net (like section 217). You will see how these guys set up to break out....what they see as they proceed and how they adjust to different defensive schemes....it is amazing.

And the lack of communication is what has killed this defense.....looks like the insertion of a rookie who has not played here, means he has a lot to say and see on the ice and he is talking his way through it with his partner.

NYCLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 04:45 AM
  #9
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Marek Malik
LMAO!! great answer.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:31 AM
  #10
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Marek Malik
Yeah, theres a new one.....

I like Panniniclaus answer to your question,
and NYCLV is right, its hard to cover multiple
players when you have forwards who are not fully
committed on the back check.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.