HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Someone please explain this to me

Old
01-29-2007, 10:45 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Someone please explain this to me

I dont post here often but for some reason I am choosing now as the time to post this question...

Why is it that in our defensive zone, when the other team has possession of the puck and is cycling, two or more of our players tend to be drawn to one player leaving other players in open space.

I am 19 years old and never played hockey growing up but I have watched virtually every rangers game for about 10 years. I did grow up however playing soccer and basketball. In these sports, especially basketball, you learn to play man-to-man and deny the ball. It does not make sense to me why we always seem to lose sight of opposing players so close to our own goal.

I hope someone can clarify why this happens so oftne because its been bugging me for a while.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Pizza

Pure and simple the Rangers have had a very bad habit of running around in their own zone for too many years now. Hopefully with some new blood coming into the system this will change. We lack poise in our own end...to put it mildly.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:51 PM
NYCLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Pure and simple the Rangers have had a very bad habit of running around in their own zone for too many years now. Hopefully with some new blood coming into the system this will change. We lack poise in our own end...to put it mildly.

Positional hockey is lost on most of these guys. It is also hard to cover five guys when one of your linemates doesn't really backcheck. Plus, the communication between pairings on defense has been missing until recently. Girardi and Tyutin REALLY had it going throughout the game....constantly pointing and talking back and forth during the play so each knew what the other was doing.

NYCLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:02 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I dont post here often but for some reason I am choosing now as the time to post this question...

Why is it that in our defensive zone, when the other team has possession of the puck and is cycling, two or more of our players tend to be drawn to one player leaving other players in open space.

I am 19 years old and never played hockey growing up but I have watched virtually every rangers game for about 10 years. I did grow up however playing soccer and basketball. In these sports, especially basketball, you learn to play man-to-man and deny the ball. It does not make sense to me why we always seem to lose sight of opposing players so close to our own goal.

I hope someone can clarify why this happens so oftne because its been bugging me for a while.
Marek Malik

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:04 PM
PanniniClaus

Teams cycle in the hope of drawing players out of position, it also keeps possession of the puck and tires the opponent out. What can happen at times is a defender follows a player up the wall and when he cycles the defender momentarily watches the puck get cycled and that may be all the offensive player needs to get free from his check. Hockey is faster than soccer and basketball and in hockey matchups are harder to define with so many different lines and combinations. Teams do not set out to cause chaos in their own zone but some players are just better than others at identifying their man and then staying with him. Some teams do not panic when there is sustained pressure while others come off the rails trying to do too much.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Marek Malik
That sums it up. Good work, Tom .

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:31 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLV View Post
Positional hockey is lost on most of these guys. It is also hard to cover five guys when one of your linemates doesn't really backcheck. Plus, the communication between pairings on defense has been missing until recently. Girardi and Tyutin REALLY had it going throughout the game....constantly pointing and talking back and forth during the play so each knew what the other was doing.
everything is pretty much spot on.. very very good points.. i would see Girardi going after the puck and players in the corner, and the puck would go around the back to the other corner.. instead of running after the players, he told his partner to go and take care of it while he stood in front of the net, taking care of the traffic..

i am just getting all the intricacies of the game, and its really nice to notice good plays and techniques as opposed to bad.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:44 AM
NYCLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
everything is pretty much spot on.. very very good points.. i would see Girardi going after the puck and players in the corner, and the puck would go around the back to the other corner.. instead of running after the players, he told his partner to go and take care of it while he stood in front of the net, taking care of the traffic..

i am just getting all the intricacies of the game, and its really nice to notice good plays and techniques as opposed to bad.

Thank you.

If you REALLY wanna see the little thing, buy tickets behind the net (like section 217). You will see how these guys set up to break out....what they see as they proceed and how they adjust to different defensive schemes....it is amazing.

And the lack of communication is what has killed this defense.....looks like the insertion of a rookie who has not played here, means he has a lot to say and see on the ice and he is talking his way through it with his partner.

NYCLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 04:45 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Marek Malik
LMAO!! great answer.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:31 AM