HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL GDT: New York Rangers AT Philadelphia Flyers 1 pm

Old
01-28-2007, 03:24 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Jagr is back folks.
Best game of the year

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
In theory, this is Jagr's team, but I think that Shanny has been the team's spiritual leader and someone that a good amount of players (and press) turn to first in the lockerroom. Maybe it is just me, but I think that some of the whispers about discontent in the lockerroom stem from this. I think that there could be a North American/Euro divide whereas the nationalities are viewing two seperate people as the leaders. IMO, this team most certainly DOES need whatever intangibles that Shanny brings to the table..
The team doesn't need two voices. Shanny should go with the flow and keep his opinions to himself...He shouldn't "play" captain to the media as much as he does. For all of Shannys intangibles this team is in the 9th place..IMHO they need Shanny to score more then they need his charisma.

If there is a North American/Euro divide then it's the North Americans that should look at themselves in the mirror...

Quote:
You cannot discount Renney's culpability in all this. He stupidly played an older player FAR more than was necessary or what he was used to. That and the fact that he sends him onto the ice with players who should not be in that spot are two major factors in Shanny's decline.
Shanny is still getting chances to score. For all the talk about the lines (and 3 out of 4 lines are total mish mash) Shanny isn't burying his chances. That has nothing to do with his linemates....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:13 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Shanny is still getting chances to score. For all the talk about the lines (and 3 out of 4 lines are total mish mash) Shanny isn't burying his chances. That has nothing to do with his linemates....
Betts and his two assists and Krog, a waiver-level player, are hardly examples of those who should be feeding Shanny. As Fletch points out, Shanny is not Jagr, who is going to stick handle and set himself up. He needs a center to feed him the puck. Always has. And being worn down from Renney's outright misuse of him IS a factor.
Quote:
If there is a North American/Euro divide then it's the North Americans that should look at themselves in the mirror...
I do not think that questioning a power play that overpasses becuase they are waiting for the perfect shot, is a call to look in the mirror. It is calling attention to an area where this team is failing at. An area, that a playoff team cannot afford to to be a problem.
Quote:
For all of Shannys intangibles this team is in the 9th place..IMHO they need Shanny to score more then they need his charisma.
That is fine, but that is the player that he is. He is still the same presence and acts the same way as he had when Yzerman was the Captain of Detroit and Chellios patrolled the back lines. If Jagr refuses to say what has to be said (his statements about needing to be the man, aside [and I am not questioning his captaincy here]), then it falls to a player with Shannahan's pedigree to say it.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Did you wear the Jersey?
Went with the Rangers Old Time Hockey hoodie. They won so Ill be wearing it to MSG on wednesday, haha. Im superstitous like that.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Ola

Quote:
People are just clamoring for him to be put in a situation that will best result in success. Renney has not been condusive to that. Not for Prucha, not for the rest of the team.
I do think Renney bringing along Prucha in a manner that will help him have long time success in the future.

Last edited by Ola: 01-28-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Betts and his two assists and Krog, a waiver-level player, are hardly examples of those who should be feeding Shanny. As Fletch points out, Shanny is not Jagr, who is going to stick handle and set himself up. He needs a center to feed him the puck. Always has. And being worn down from Renney's outright misuse of him IS a factor.
Quote:
Yes, for the same reason that Shannahan has strugeled with him. It is called being centered by Cullen.
Ahhh TB, just ahhhhhh!

W T F are Renney's options??? You first trash Renney for playing him with Betts, when you minutes before have argued passionatly for how bad Cullen is, and how responsible Cullen is for Prucha's soapmore slump.

How can you make two post like this in the same thread. Are you a Islander fan who just spends time here to jerk people around???

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Betts and his two assists and Krog, a waiver-level player, are hardly examples of those who should be feeding Shanny. As Fletch points out, Shanny is not Jagr, who is going to stick handle and set himself up. He needs a center to feed him the puck. Always has. And being worn down from Renney's outright misuse of him IS a factor..
I agree with that....BUT...Shanny is still getting scoring chances. How many posts did he hit yestarday?

Quote:
I do not think that questioning a power play that overpasses becuase they are waiting for the perfect shot, is a call to look in the mirror. It is calling attention to an area where this team is failing at. An area, that a playoff team cannot afford to to be a problem.
In the room Shanny can and should say whatever he wants...He went to the media and Jagr didn't even know what Shanny said....If Shanny had such a problem why hasn't he gone to the captain and just say "this is what i think"..

TB calling attention to it is one thing but doing it to the media is grandstanding..It screams of the me first players that we've had here time and time again...When Jagr disagreed with the power play last season it was an issue on this board..It was an issue that is still brought up when Jagrs leadership is questioned...Why isn't Shanny being held to the same standard? To me it's not about what Shanny said as much as who he said it to..My point is a guy that has scored a grand total of 1 goal over the past 2 months shouldn't be questioning other areas of the team..Linemates aside this is a guy that has been pressing for awhile now...
Quote:
That is fine, but that is the player that he is. He is still the same presence and acts the same way as he had when Yzerman was the Captain of Detroit and Chellios patrolled the back lines. If Jagr refuses to say what has to be said (his statements about needing to be the man, aside [and I am not questioning his captaincy here]), then it falls to a player with Shannahan's pedigree to say it.
Jagr may refuse to say it because he knows its a distraction this team doesn't need...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Are you a Islander fan who just spends time here to jerk people around???
Yes. You found out my secret?
Quote:
W T F are Renney's options???
Hmm...let's see. First there is Immonen on the 2nd line, who looked better than there Cullen. Then there is allowing Straka to center Jagr, while Nylander slides down to feed Shanny. Third there is Straka becoming the de facto 2nd line center.
Quote:
when you minutes before have argued passionatly for how bad Cullen is
I never said Cullen is bad. I said that he is a good 3rd line player and out of position as a 2nd line player.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Fletch

ola...

I don't think there's a hard and fast right or wrong here, but differences in philosophies. I'm sure there are plenty examples of kids in a sophomore slump who didn't play extensively on third third and fourth lines with grinders, getting under 10 minutes of ice time of multiple occasions who actually ended up growing pretty nicely.

For me, Prucha's problems are clear. He's not getting the puck to shoot and he's not getting into a scoring rhythm. Further, he's the type of player who needs a complementary player to work with to be successful, and that includes someone to carry the puck up the ice, cycle with, and who can get the puck to him. Personally, there are ways for Renney to bring him along without playing him with Hollweg. He could reduce Shanny's top line PP minutes a bit and see if Prucha can reignite some of the flame he and Jagr had last season (for a point of reference, Prucha scored more PP goals last season in less PP minutes than Shanny this season). The PP's floundering - why not try it? There are other things that can be done besides, again, playing him with Hollweg.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:00 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
Danno I was there this afternoon aswell. Your right it was like someone died in there. But man was that goal horn loud!!!!!!! Holy crap I was suprised at that. Were you down by the Ice before the game in the big group of Ranger fans. I was there, lol. We started the Lets Go Rangers chants and the Henrik chants.

Quote's from the day:
Flyers Goal scored by number 44 Joni Pitkanen....Guy next to me: Hey, he scored... Trade him while his value's up!!!

On the way out

Flyers fan: Go Home Rangers fans!!!!

My dad: Ok fine, and we'll take our 2 points with us.
Yeah the goal horn is really loud - alot louder than the train whistle they used to have.

I was down by the ice in that mass of Rangers fans - I had my blue Lundqvist jersey and a blue Rangers "old time hockey" cap with my digital camera. I got to go all the way down to the bottom and bang on the glass, it was great and it was awesome seeing all those Rangers fans take over and chant 'Lets go Rangers'.

I really didn't get alot of people yelling stuff at me, which was a big difference from when I have gone to games in the past. Some woman came up to me and asked what was being yelled about someone who sucks, so I had to explain the Potvin chant

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:43 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Went with the Rangers Old Time Hockey hoodie. They won so Ill be wearing it to MSG on wednesday, haha. Im superstitous like that.
Dude when u goin back to college...yeesh! Too many games for ya. Will I see you next monday?

Old
01-29-2007, 07:11 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
For me, Prucha's problems are clear. He's not getting the puck to shoot and he's not getting into a scoring rhythm. Further, he's the type of player who needs a complementary player to work with to be successful, and that includes someone to carry the puck up the ice, cycle with, and who can get the puck to him.
To some extent he's not getting the puck (certainly not like last year) but he's not shooting the puck either. How many times have you counted Prucha in a position to shoot in the last few games and he's tried just one more move.

We had this discussion earlier this year and it still holds true. He's got a heck of a shot, but he makes one too many moves, gets poked, and then gets discouraged.

I'd like to see him work with Shanny a little bit. He needs to develop a quicker release while not changing the mechanic he has right now that makes his shot so good.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Dude when u goin back to college...yeesh! Too many games for ya. Will I see you next monday?
I went back last week, lol. Is that Detroit? Id say no because thats my long day, I have school til 6. Im going on wednesday but only because its a 7:30 start, if they change it to 7 im ****.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:57 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
I went back last week, lol. Is that Detroit? Id say no because thats my long day, I have school til 6. Im going on wednesday but only because its a 7:30 start, if they change it to 7 im ****.
No well they won't. Who will I be seeing Monday?