*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
and Hiebert could flip Kubalik before the import draft and then draft a high import.
I suspect Sergeev age is more in line with the Rangers peaking 2 years from now.
Agreed. I don't see any way though that Hiebert won't want to use that high import pick. So I'd expect one of Sergeev or Kubalik to not be back next year.

Old
01-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Agreed. I don't see any way though that Hiebert won't want to use that high import pick. So I'd expect one of Sergeev or Kubalik to not be back next year.
The other nice thing about the trade is they don't have to change the flags in the arena, with a straight Czech for Czech trade It'll be nice to watch the Wolves in February after another Rangers/Wolves trade for the second year in a row.

Old
01-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I'm not sure he does. Our tradeable assets are dwindling. I've heard there have been inquiries about Iafrate, but he'll be back as an OA and is our only toughness.

Not to mention the prices for him and Marcantuoni won't likely be high enough to pull the trigger. If someone offers two 2nds for either though, you do it.
Wait till next year for nicer returns....Pederson, MM, Iafrate, Bailey and maybe a player that will surprise for what he could bring...Curtis Meighan.
Meighan has been a total surprise for me this year with his found offence plus his his very sound defence, penalty kill and face-off ability.

Old
01-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Wait till next year for nicer returns....Pederson, MM, Iafrate, Bailey and maybe a player that will surprise for what he could bring...Curtis Meighan.
Meighan has been a total surprise for me this year with his found offence plus his his very sound defence, penalty kill and face-off ability.
That's if there's a big sale next year. They might be decent enough to stand pat given that now, just about everyone will be back. Who knows.

And I'll be the first to admit that I pegged Meighan as virtually useless. He didn't add any offence, lost almost all his draws and got out-muscled way too often to be a defensive guy. But for the last month or two, he is way more involved in the offence and has been competing harder. He's still not a high-end guy, but he's serviceable.

Old
01-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
That's if there's a big sale next year. They might be decent enough to stand pat given that now, just about everyone will be back. Who knows.
Yes...everyone will be back except for Fanelli....but then Hiebert should be adding more from the '13 draft (Bracco, McAvoy, Opilko hopefully) plus a least 2 from this coming '14 draft. So something is going to have to give!
Even by standing pat I suspect the Rangers should make a big move up the standings just due to fact of other teams sliding back.(Guelph and London should be sliding back)
Next year the West may be weaker than it has been in years!
But the big question will be in net....Dekort and Greenfield scare the crap out of me at times other times I'm impressed. But this is where Opilko could be convinced to come and get 40+ games.

So that 'probably' means that 3 to 6 players will be traded to make room. (or am I missing something??)

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 01-09-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old
01-09-2014, 03:32 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
And I'll be the first to admit that I pegged Meighan as virtually useless. He didn't add any offence, lost almost all his draws and got out-muscled way too often to be a defensive guy. But for the last month or two, he is way more involved in the offence and has been competing harder. He's still not a high-end guy, but he's serviceable.
While he wasn't an offensive star, he's been one of the best faceoff guys the Rangers have. His size will hold him back from going much further, but he does a lot of the little things right - the things you can't teach. His defensive play is strong, but you're right, he does get pushed around a bit. I'm very happy to see his offensive game emerge.

For my money, he wears the C next year.

Old
01-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Yes...everyone will be back except for Fanelli....but then Hiebert should be adding more from the '13 draft (Bracco, McAvoy, Opilko hopefully) plus a least 2 from this coming '14 draft. So something is going to have to give!
Even by standing pat I suspect the Rangers should make a big move up the standings just due to fact of other teams sliding back.(Guelph and London should be sliding back)
Next year the West may be weaker than it has been in years!
But the big question will be in net....Dekort and Greenfield scare the crap out of me at times other times I'm impressed. But this is where Opilko could be convinced to come and get 40+ games.

So that 'probably' means that 3 to 6 players will be traded to make room. (or am I missing something??)
No, you're right, some bodies will have to move. Fanelli and Marcantuoni are gone (probably anyway with MM), which opens two spots, but they'll want to incorporate at least two draft picks, one or two kids who were picked in 2013 and hopefully an American or two from that crop.

For me, the only obvious body to be cut adrift would be Teskey, but guys like Soper, Davies and Kohn will be fighting for their ice. And with only Meighan and Iafrate in line to be OAs and a desperate need for goaltending, you may see some bodies move for that.

Old
01-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Kids need to spend 2 years in the USNTDP program..they can buy out for 50K but the team cant buy them out, the players family needs to themselves...

Old
01-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
Kids need to spend 2 years in the USNTDP program..they can buy out for 50K but the team cant buy them out, the players family needs to themselves...
True, but there's precedent with #72 here this year. And even one or two of the non-USNTDP guys may come. Henderson has to be a real possibility.

Old
01-18-2014, 09:20 AM
mikester

always tough to watch the boys in a rebuild year,good efforts but just cant keep up keep plugging boys

Old
01-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Tim Wallach

The Rangers have been better than their record this year. Unlike a lot of last place teams over the years, they're not usually getting killed. In fact, 5-on-5, they're very competitive. Which leads to my point:

Fix the PK!!

Wow is it bad. I have rarely seen an OHL-level PK so inept. Teams pass back and forth through the seams as though no one is there. They seem to have one puck chaser and the other three don't commit to lanes at all. The PP is bad too, but that's more understandable.

I like how Smith uses the full bench and guys seem to be developing, but they need someone who can coach a PK in a bad way.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:19 AM
bobber

Quote:
The Rangers have been better than their record this year. Unlike a lot of last place teams over the years, they're not usually getting killed. In fact, 5-on-5, they're very competitive. Which leads to my point:

Fix the PK!!

Wow is it bad. I have rarely seen an OHL-level PK so inept. Teams pass back and forth through the seams as though no one is there. They seem to have one puck chaser and the other three don't commit to lanes at all. The PP is bad too, but that's more understandable.

I like how Smith uses the full bench and guys seem to be developing, but they need someone who can coach a PK in a bad way.
The penalty kill was at 9th place not long ago. It dropped like a stone lately. Wasn't even that bad at Christmas. Now teams pop in goals in just a few seconds. Sure it would be better with the kids they traded but there really are no excuses for the way it is now.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
The penalty kill was at 9th place not long ago. It dropped like a stone lately. Wasn't even that bad at Christmas. Now teams pop in goals in just a few seconds. Sure it would be better with the kids they traded but there really are no excuses for the way it is now.
I know. I was shocked it was once 9th as I've felt it has been poor all year. But I think that reflects how other teams have improved and tightened up while ours has gone the wrong way.

And I realize we have a young D corps and don't have bruisers to clear the net-front, but my biggest problem is how terrible they are at keeping active sticks and taking away passing lanes. There is very little coordination. Seeing it from up high one game, it was actually embarrassing. You could tell it was just a matter of time until the goal.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
I know. I was shocked it was once 9th as I've felt it has been poor all year. But I think that reflects how other teams have improved and tightened up while ours has gone the wrong way.

And I realize we have a young D corps and don't have bruisers to clear the net-front, but my biggest problem is how terrible they are at keeping active sticks and taking away passing lanes. There is very little coordination. Seeing it from up high one game, it was actually embarrassing. You could tell it was just a matter of time until the goal.
You also need players willing to sacrifice and block shots....

Old
01-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

Fix the PK!!

Love the use of the entire bench also in all situations and against any oppositions lines = a virtual trial by fire!
As for the PK, it seems like every penalty Darby Llewellyn takes the PK has about 0.1% success rate.
Not only the pk has been one of the reasons why the Rangers are near the bottom but for the most part the Rangers may have had the worse goalie tandems in the league. But lately the goalies have been playing better with Greenfield starting to make a strong claim for more starts. But I still like the 50/50 split to find out what both goalies can bring to the team next year either by playing or enhancing their trade value. Right now with only Fanelli not being back next year the Rangers will need to move at least 5 players (maybe more?) to make room in 2014-15.
Players to be added for next season: minimum 2 or 3 from 14 OHL draft.
2 or 3 from 13 OHL draft (Bracco, Opilka, McAvoy or Henderson?)
2? from 12 OHL Draft: It's either do or die for either Blasby and Learn.
Make a decision on their import situation....one of the present ones will need to be moved for the Rangers to use their high 14 CHL import pick (unless Sergeev becomes a NHL 1st round pick ....which he won't). IMHO the Rangers will retain Sergeev and move Kubalik. Can the Rangers trade Sergeev after this season or does that 1 year non-trading of 1st year imports is a calendar year or hockey season year?

Decisions decisions decisions...at least with the players getting icetime this season Hiebert should be able to market them properly if he wants to trade them.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
You also need players willing to sacrifice and block shots....
For sure. And that's missing completely. But as long as you allow cross-seam passes for empty net tap-ins, the opponent will wait for them all day.

Old
01-20-2014, 12:02 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:

Fix the PK!!

Agreed - other than Meighan, no one blocks shots or challenges shooters on the points. They have the skaters who are capable of getting into the faces of the guys on the point and forcing them to make passes they don't want to, but so far, it's rare that we see it.

The other thing that needs improvement is the PP - Kitchener leads the league in SH goals allowed, and it's to the point where you almost expect a SH goal against.

Old
01-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Acad

Here's a few things to chat about :

If Kitchener finishes last, is Jakob Chychrun the guy you rebuild around or do you consider someone like McLeod?

Let's say Kitchener finishes 3rd or 4rd last.

Assuming Chychrun and McLeod is off the board, does Kitchener than go after Adam Mascherin or Victor Mete or take a risk and go after Logan Brown or Max Jones?

In my opinion, Chychrun and McLeod would be the best two pieces to build around. I think there is a bit of a drop off after Mascherin.

Interesting times in Ranger Nation ahead.

Old
01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acad View Post
Here's a few things to chat about :

If Kitchener finishes last, is Jakob Chychrun the guy you rebuild around or do you consider someone like McLeod?

Let's say Kitchener finishes 3rd or 4rd last.

Assuming Chychrun and McLeod is off the board, does Kitchener than go after Adam Mascherin or Victor Mete or take a risk and go after Logan Brown or Max Jones?

In my opinion, Chychrun and McLeod would be the best two pieces to build around. I think there is a bit of a drop off after Mascherin.

Interesting times in Ranger Nation ahead.
Nice to get a high end kid like Chychrun , McLeod or Mascherin etc. The rebuild has already started but one of the aforementioned would be a great piece to add going forward. Love to see Chychrun here. This team need big tough D men in a bad way.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:19 AM
BenchedGuy

You obviously take the BPA but if an impact D like Chychrun is available, you have to take him. We have the makings of some talented forwards in the next year or two with Darby, MacInnis, Magyar, Kohn, Davies, Bzowey....etc. and a high import pick this year would hopefully be a forward. Someone like Chychrun would fit in nicely with the group going into the future. But then again, take the BPA and make trades or what not to get the balance we need.

For goaltending I see Greenfield as the starter out of our current two. Next year if Opilka or Lavigne report, I see Dekort as being the odd man out. But with them both having committed to NCAA teams who knows what will happen.

On a side note, reminder to everyone that a week from tonight is the Rangers vs Ice Hounds/Ice Pirates. Always an entertaining night.

Old
01-21-2014, 01:27 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
On a side note, reminder to everyone that a week from tonight is the Rangers vs Ice Hounds/Ice Pirates. Always an entertaining night.
Quoted for emphasis. If you've never been to one of these games, I encourage you to do so. The joy on these kids' faces is worth the trip. They remind us of how great this sport can be, and watching our Rangers interact with these kids make up some of my favourite Ranger memories. There is usually no cost for admission but they ask for a donation which helps the Ice Hounds/Ice Pirates to pay some of their costs throughout the year.

One other highlight of the night is the rookie dance -- and with the number of rookies around this year, it ought to be amazing!

Old
01-31-2014, 07:17 AM
sgifford24

Anyone have the scoop on Learn? There have been health issues in his family the past year...which I know has had an impact, but anyone hear something else? Although they still have his rights, and he will probably be back at camp this year, what are his chances?

Last edited by sgifford24: 01-31-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old
01-31-2014, 09:19 AM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgifford24 View Post
Anyone have the scoop on Learn? There have been health issues in his family the past year...which I know has had an impact, but anyone hear something else? Although they still have his rights, and he will probably be back at camp this year, what are his chances?
Learn was traded to Port Colborn by the Dutchies. I have my doubts now he ever makes the Rangers. Just never put up numbers in junior B. As an example of his status the Rangers called up James Mense Dietrich and Mark Bzowey this week end and not Learn. Both younger. Learn has some sandpaper to his game but with his size its more effective in junior B. I could be right off the chart on Learn though because fans can only speculate about reality.

Last edited by bobber: 01-31-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old
01-31-2014, 04:46 PM
kwrangersfan22

I can't predict the future but anything is possible to make it as an 18 year old. Soper was 18, put up decent numbers in junior b but has put up 1 point in 29 games. Sounds like the Rangers has positioned him as a role player. Is it possible that Learn is more of a role player rather than goal scorer? He has put up penalty minutes since he's been in Port Colborne with a bit of a scoring touch. I think it will all depend if they have room on their roster for a player like him.

Old
02-01-2014, 11:46 AM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrangersfan22 View Post
I can't predict the future but anything is possible to make it as an 18 year old. Soper was 18, put up decent numbers in junior b but has put up 1 point in 29 games. Sounds like the Rangers has positioned him as a role player. Is it possible that Learn is more of a role player rather than goal scorer? He has put up penalty minutes since he's been in Port Colborne with a bit of a scoring touch. I think it will all depend if they have room on their roster for a player like him.
I think I was more impressed with Learn when he played at the Aud than the two rooks that were called up last night. Too small and no sandpaper. Tesky actually made a couple of hits last night. Soper hits a lot but neither contributes anything else as far as I can see. The only players I see a real improvement in are some of the American kids. Other than that the Rangers are spinning their wheels. Spott hockey is still haunting the Aud.

Closed Thread