HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lets Get Sean Hill!

Old
01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
PDO

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Lets Get Sean Hill!

Seriously.

Right now he's playing 21:41 a night on the Island. Behindthenet.ca rates his minutes as the toughest of any defenseman on the Islanders. His salary is a measly $600K. He's a +10. He can PK.

And he's on the Islanders.

Maybe I'm just crazy - but I fail to see how a guy like this wouldn't greatly improve our D just by allowing Smid, Greene (and possibly Bergeron) to rotate games and give us some much needed depth.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:20 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Seriously.

Right now he's playing 21:41 a night on the Island. Behindthenet.ca rates his minutes as the toughest of any defenseman on the Islanders. His salary is a measly $600K. He's a +10. He can PK.

And he's on the Islanders.

Maybe I'm just crazy - but I fail to see how a guy like this wouldn't greatly improve our D just by allowing Smid, Greene (and possibly Bergeron) to rotate games and give us some much needed depth.
The only problem I see is that I don't think the Islanders are sellers.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:22 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
The only problem I see is that I don't think the Islanders are sellers.
Very true, the EC is ridiculously tight right now; but they are on the outside looking in and a prolonged slide by any team would put them right out of the playoff picture.

He's the exact type of player that would make a world of difference in Edmonton.

Old
01-29-2007, 04:23 PM
21Gator*

Why would the Islander give him up for a playoff race? Just saying.

I still dont' think any UFA is going to help this team. Maybe next week when we've won a few in a row, but ritght now I still think we need to be focused on next year.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:24 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
At this point IMO the only likely sellers (before things clear up even more) would be Philidelphia, Los Angeles, Chicago and Columbus.

Unfortuantely, not many options on D there.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
At this point IMO the only likely sellers (before things clear up even more) would be Philidelphia, Los Angeles, Chicago and Columbus.

Unfortuantely, not many options on D there.
Agreed (sadly), but I think we should start to see a few teams pull away and a few teams fall back rather soon.

Any GM with half a brain should realize that the seasons more or less over if you're back 8 points and have 2 teams between you and 8th at the deadline.

Florida should be very close (they're only 6 points back, but they've already played 51 games) and Boston is probably a couple more losses away from also being added to that list.

Old
01-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Bergeron47

Interesting everyone notices this right away with the Hill & the Islanders, yet the majority still doesn't understand this concept for Souray & Canadiens

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

I think both the fact the Isle aren't sellers and that he's been very good for them this year lends itself to Hill saying on Long Island.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:10 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Agreed (sadly), but I think we should start to see a few teams pull away and a few teams fall back rather soon.

Any GM with half a brain should realize that the seasons more or less over if you're back 8 points and have 2 teams between you and 8th at the deadline.

Florida should be very close (they're only 6 points back, but they've already played 51 games) and Boston is probably a couple more losses away from also being added to that list.
I wish St. Louis hadn't gone on that run after Murray was hired. That really has been a pain in the ass for us

Florida has Salei which could be an option. I doubt they move Van Ryn or J-Bo, but Salei isan upgrade.

Boston as often stated has Stuart to deal. Lets hope the Rangers deal them another blow tonight.

This has to happen soon so we can stay with the pack.

In Philly I suppose you could get Zhitnik or *shudder* Hatcher, but I'm not keen on those options to say the least. Is Gautier back yet? I don't mind him.

LA uh... Sopel (yuk), Miller (*shrug*) and of course Visnovski are possibilities. Norstrom and Blake have too much time and money left on their deals.

Chicago's Aucoin is similar to Nostrom and Blake in that way, plus he's an injury risk as of late. Their other options are young and therefor not moving.

Columbus I don't think there's anything. Eriksson maybe, he's had a pretty good year.

Not too much there, but man it'd be nice to get some veteran depth in there.

Maybe if the Rangers put Kasper on re-entry waivers...

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
PDO

Quote:
I wish St. Louis hadn't gone on that run after Murray was hired. That really has been a pain in the ass for us
Those ********! Agreed, though they're starting to cool off as well.

Quote:
Florida has Salei which could be an option. I doubt they move Van Ryn or J-Bo, but Salei isan upgrade.
Salei is an upgrade, but I really don't like his contract and I'm not sure if he'd be worth losing the assets for.

Quote:
Boston as often stated has Stuart to deal. Lets hope the Rangers deal them another blow tonight.
Definitely. The sooner Boston falls out of the race, the better.

Quote:
In Philly I suppose you could get Zhitnik or *shudder* Hatcher, but I'm not keen on those options to say the least. Is Gautier back yet? I don't mind him.
I'd take a serious look at Zhitnik. He's playing some tough minutes and doing decently with them, though $3,500,000 for another 2 years isn't something I'd want to bring in here.

Quote:
LA uh... Sopel (yuk), Miller (*shrug*) and of course Visnovski are possibilities. Norstrom and Blake have too much time and money left on their deals.
Agreed, although I'd really like Milelr here.

Quote:
Chicago's Aucoin is similar to Nostrom and Blake in that way, plus he's an injury risk as of late. Their other options are young and therefor not moving.

Columbus I don't think there's anything. Eriksson maybe, he's had a pretty good year.

Not too much there, but man it'd be nice to get some veteran depth in there.

Maybe if the Rangers put Kasper on re-entry waivers...
Ugh.. no Kaspar. Injury prone and he's completely lost it. The only D on NYR I'd have any interest in is Aaron Ward, and I have no idea what his season has been like.

Old
01-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Lessy

Sean Hill is someone I could live with suppose but having watched the Senators-Habs game tonight (most of it at least) I'm pretty jealous of the defence corps both those teams have. Two guys that really stood out to me were Rivet and Volchenkov, Volchenkov's taken a huge step up this year and looked real good out there from what I saw (I didn't see one of the Montreal goals). As for Rivet, he's a guy I've always been a fan of and thought of as underrated. I like the toughness and grit he brings although he may not help us accomplish the first pass problem. Obviously Redden, Preissing, Markov would also be nice additions to our blueline as well.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:03 PM
BleedOil83

Hill, (along with Pothier) is a guy I was surprised we didn't take a chance on as a UFA last year. Cheap enough (at least I thought with Pothier) options that wouldn't severely detriment the team's cap if they turned out to be busts.

I trusted Lowe at the deadline, but as we've learned, you can't just depend on having a good trade market later in the year. You don't know what's going to happen.

The league, for instance, could only have 2-4 teams legitimately out of contention by then.....

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Magnus

I was really hoping to sign Hill as a UFA this summer, even just as a 6/7 defence pairing, but he's obviously played much better than that. That's a shame. For $600,000, he would have been a godsend.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:43 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

If the Isles fall out of the race I'm sure he could be had. I posted a proposal on the Trade Rumors board about sending Torres to the Island for Campoli and Comeau. Most said the value as about right but you guys could use a more experienced D-man. How would Hill fill that void? Maybe Hill and your choice of Tambellini or Comeau for Torres and a late pick?

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 06:45 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

NYI are not sellers right now and until they fall out of the running

they will not trade him

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote