Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN back in the hunt?

Old
01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
hckyguy14

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
Dale mentioned the game was on a weekday because NHL teams did not want to loose a weekend crowd because the all-star game was played on a weekend.

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
McMahonCHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyguy14 View Post
Dale mentioned the game was on a weekday because NHL teams did not want to loose a weekend crowd because the all-star game was played on a weekend.
I "might" understand the Saturday home games, but the Friday games?

How many NHL games are played on Friday nights? The Bruins don't have many. I don't think that they have ANY Friday night dates at home.

To me, Thursday is a bigger night than Friday, and with the game on a Wednesday night, they lose the Thursday date.

I am not a president or CEO of an NHL franchise, so who cares what I think

McMahonCHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Genely

Quote:
That makes sense from a team standpoint, I guess they have to balance the league interests with individual team interests. Although, I would think that the teams could have done some sort of creative scheduling and used a holiday/long weekend to compensate for weekend lost to the allstar break. Either way, a weekday allstar game, in any of the sports, is never going to have decent ratings. Also, this is a league that shuts down every four years for the Olympics. I have to think there is some middle road they could agree upon.

Genely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:35 PM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
I would have rather seen it done as it has been in the past......on a weekend.

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Bs4CUPnxtyr

Send a message via AIM to Bs4CUPnxtyr
ESPN does not need the NHL. They get better ratings from Poker! So, I doubt that ESPN has any interest of picking up the NHL ever again. Especially with Bettman at the helm.

Bs4CUPnxtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Genely

Quote:
I would have rather seen it done as it has been in the past......on a weekend.
Agreed, it is tough to get motivated for a Thursday morning hangover!!!

Genely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:51 PM
McMahonCHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs4CUPnxtyr View Post
ESPN does not need the NHL. They get better ratings from Poker! So, I doubt that ESPN has any interest of picking up the NHL ever again. Especially with Bettman at the helm.
I would disagree. If they can cut a deal similar to what Versus/NBC cut with the league, I am sure that they would jump at it.

They would not be paying a flat fee, and then still having to cover production costs. They would be almost guaranteed the coverage of their costs, then they split the rest of the revenue with the league ... That is a GREAT deal for the network.

I think that ESPN's ratings would be better for the NHL if they were more dedicated to it as well. Now don't get me wrong, I totally understand why they dropped NHL 2Night and cut their hockey coverage on SportsCenter - that's the leagues fault.

I can't blame ESPN (a company) for not pouring their resources into a broadcast that isn't giving them much in terms of money. However, I'm sure that they would pour more resources into the product if they were sharing the revenue.

The network would make more money.

Old
01-29-2007, 03:19 PM
prdbsfan

You can really see how much the NHL is shrunk because ESPN is not in the picture. If the NHL were smart (which they are not) they would beg and plead for ESPN to take them back. This league is dying....and we are witnessing it. If you disagree you are living in a fantasy land. We would be lucky as fans to have ESPN take this sport back and give some regonition. Otherwise say goodbye to the NHL. Nobody but serious fans care, but with ESPN at least you got some exposure and could maybe attract a new fan. The NHL is doomed with a long term contract with VS.

prdbsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:44 PM
BBruin66

Send a message via AIM to BBruin66
Im sure ESPN would take them back. They have Hockey coverage on ESPNews all the time. Barry Melrose hosts extended segments on wednesday nights I believe. The NHL im sure is just looking for the most money, and being buddy buddy with comcast.

Stupid move by the League. I guess you have to weigh whats more important though in a TV deal, viewership, or $$$. Any TV persons here have an idea?

BBruin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Cabin Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahonCHN View Post
I would disagree. If they can cut a deal similar to what Versus/NBC cut with the league, I am sure that they would jump at it.

They would not be paying a flat fee, and then still having to cover production costs. They would be almost guaranteed the coverage of their costs, then they split the rest of the revenue with the league ... That is a GREAT deal for the network.

I think that ESPN's ratings would be better for the NHL if they were more dedicated to it as well. Now don't get me wrong, I totally understand why they dropped NHL 2Night and cut their hockey coverage on SportsCenter - that's the leagues fault.

I can't blame ESPN (a company) for not pouring their resources into a broadcast that isn't giving them much in terms of money. However, I'm sure that they would pour more resources into the product if they were sharing the revenue.

The network would make more money.

NBC was a revenue sharing deal but Versus wasn't. Versus gave them $130 million for the two seasons of coverage.

Cabin Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:11 PM
DOGSTARMAN

The games on VS are averaging about 0.2 share on the Neilson ratings.

Sorry, but Bettman has to go. The league's popularity is at a low. They would be smarter to let a major network run the games for free. Anything to build credibility and a fan base. You used to hear many people talk about hockey only to make jokes about the fighting. Now they aren't even doing that. Not good.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:06 PM
blkandgold77

Bad news guys. Check this out:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6410619.html

Does not look like we'll be getting our wish any time soon.

blkandgold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:59 PM
McMahonCHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Featherstone View Post
NBC was a revenue sharing deal but Versus wasn't. Versus gave them $130 million for the two seasons of coverage.

NBC and Versus are the same entity as I understand it.

The ESPN deal was not paying the NHL $130 million for two years.

Do you have some sort of link or somewhere to point me to back this up, but I am pretty sure that you are mistaken on this one.

Old
01-30-2007, 10:48 AM
NANDOAL

Send a message via AIM to NANDOAL
My moto is, If it's in HD, it's for me!

NANDOAL is offline   Reply With Quote