HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Old
01-11-2014, 07:34 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Nice, sounds like a decent wager.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 07:09 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Thanks for the help fellas

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Greasy Sliders

Anyone use the mako's? They seem like they'd be really hit or miss

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:23 AM
jazzykat

CCM U+CL stitching

Hi my CCM U+CL I bought in March 2013 have a little stitching coming undone on top outside of the boot. Is this anything at all to worry about as they are still under a year old?

Thanks!

Last edited by jazzykat: 01-16-2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: trying to get a link to the photo
jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:49 PM
AIREAYE

Link it through photobucket or something.

Old
01-16-2014, 05:45 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Link it through photobucket or something.
ok, it appears to be working see above....

Old
01-16-2014, 05:53 PM
AIREAYE

That's a high wear area. I would see about getting a professional sew it back up while it's still an easy job.

Old
01-16-2014, 06:19 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
That's a high wear area. I would see about getting a professional sew it back up while it's still an easy job.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I live in Vienna, Austria so I am dealing with a language barrier so I have to ask a few more questions.

Who is a "professional"?

Do I need to take them back to my LHS where I've never seen a sewing machine. Is it better to take it to a guy who repairs shoes? Do I have to send it back to CCM or can I crazy glue it?

thanks!

Old
01-16-2014, 06:29 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
Thanks for the reply and advice. I live in Vienna, Austria so I am dealing with a language barrier so I have to ask a few more questions.

Who is a "professional"?

Do I need to take them back to my LHS where I've never seen a sewing machine. Is it better to take it to a guy who repairs shoes? Do I have to send it back to CCM or can I crazy glue it?

thanks!
Yeah sorry, that was who I meant.

I don't think CCM will help you because you're out of warranty and I'm sure they'll argue (and I don't think they'd be wrong at all) that it's normal wear and tear.

I wouldn't glue anything until I'm sure no one can repair it professionally first.

Old
01-16-2014, 06:47 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
Yeah sorry, that was who I meant.

I don't think CCM will help you because you're out of warranty and I'm sure they'll argue (and I don't think they'd be wrong at all) that it's normal wear and tear.

I wouldn't glue anything until I'm sure no one can repair it professionally first.
Thanks, I'll go to a shoe repair guy tomorrow. I never figured I could begin to wear out (consumer) pro skates in under a year!

I guess, I shouldn't be so quick to buy shiny new gear but be ready to replace what breaks. 2 new sticks in under 1 year, skates (lightly) damaged, hockey bag worn out, shin pads' elastic kaput, hockey pants chewed up by the velcro on them,...

Well, I love this sport and I've dropped 15lbs. in 1 year playing it and now even my belts are too big. I suppose it's one of the more healthy addictions.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:24 PM
AIREAYE

Many pro skates and many people who order customs would do double stitching.

That's not entirely anyone's fault; its external stitching and of course some would come loose. Just need to keep it from getting worse.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:44 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
Many pro skates and many people who order customs would do double stitching.

That's not entirely anyone's fault; its external stitching and of course some would come loose. Just need to keep it from getting worse.
I'm sort of shocked that their top of the line retail skate doesn't warrant double stitching. I would happily pay an extra $50 on top of the price for that.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:00 AM
ThisisBen

So, I'm in need of some advise/suggestions in purchasing new skates.

The ones I currently use are called Nike Quest 2 that I borrowed from a friend. I really don't know anything about the skates other than the name, the size(8EE), and that they fit my feet well enough for me to skate on them with minimal discomfort(mostly just initial pain on the sides of my feet when I first get on the ice).

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

What I notice while I wear these skates are:
-They seem pretty old
-They're wide but I feel that if they were a tiny bit wider my feet would feel better
-My feet feel too large(height wise) in them and that the tops of the middle of my feet(the arches?) bulge past the comfortable limits of the boot
-my heels may be a bit too wide for the skates

Overall, they are adequate enough for me to use but I feel they are hindering my progress and that I would do much better for myself buying my own skates.

My current end goal is to be a good enough skater to be able to play in rec or D league competitive hockey.

My budget(ideally but I'm a bit flexible) for buying new skates is min $80 and max $110. Is that a good enough price range for beginner/post-beginner ice hockey skates?

Anyone know anything about the skates I currently use and have suggestions on what skates I should look to try/buy?

All around I have pretty wide and high? feet, my second toe is my longest(if that affects anything), and size 8 seems to be my ideal fit length-wise. Also I'm in my 20's so I figure I'll be getting senior skates and not junior/youth(obviously).

Last edited by ThisisBen: 01-19-2014 at 01:13 AM.
ThisisBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:56 AM
AIREAYE

Look through the previous skate thread to get an overview of what to look for, there's no point repeating things that have been said countless times if you don't read the basics.

I would double your budget range at least. Also, being in TO, there's no excuse to just go out there and get fitted for something appropriate for the level of hockey you want to play. Nothing substitutes trying on different pairs; start from scratch.

Old
01-19-2014, 04:06 PM
jazzykat

Longevity?

My buddy told me that skates are supposed to be replaced every 2 seasons??? I skate 3 times a week and I am 195lbs. and am an advanced beginner skater (I'm strong but my form is ragged). I have the CCM U+CL I thought I would get at least 3-4 years out of them.

Are there any guidelines as to what to expect for longevity and how to determine when you need a new skate?

Old
01-19-2014, 04:10 PM
AIREAYE

lol that's like saying you need to replace your car every 5 years and leave it like that...think about it.

When it's broken down, when you run out of steel etc.

Old
01-19-2014, 04:39 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
lol that's like saying you need to replace your car every 5 years and leave it like that...think about it.

When it's broken down, when you run out of steel etc.

That's why I came on here and asked you. It didn't sound right.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:07 PM
ThisisBen

Anyone know anything about the skates they sell at Dukes Source for Sports?

Why do they have different names? Are they better/worse than the original versions of the skates?

Are they well priced?

ThisisBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisBen View Post
Anyone know anything about the skates they sell at Dukes Source for Sports?

Why do they have different names? Are they better/worse than the original versions of the skates?

Are they well priced?

Old
01-20-2014, 06:37 PM
boo10

Quote:

LOL

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 07:46 PM
AIREAYE

wait did you get my point? lol

Old
01-20-2014, 08:17 PM
PurpleDrankNJ

Getting my first pair of skates and I am torn between the 12k and X50's. They would cost $20 and $150 respectively. Any one have any advice?

PurpleDrankNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
kamosko
btz's best friend

vCash: 50
Is it bad if you leave the first two eyelets (near toe) on your skates unlaced?

My current pair is too narrow before the toes and hurt to skate in after awhile so I tried it skipping those first two and now I don't feel any pain in my foot after a skate anymore.

They feel better but def a little looser, I was wondering if it's alright or if I should stop and get a better fitting pair.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Advice needed on skates!

I've owned low-end Vapors in both inline and ice skates, and also own some Reebok 5ks for inline. Main problem I have with them all so far is that after about 10-15 mins on the ice/court, I get a pain running down the outside of the top part of both feet. Taking them off and lacing them back up does offer some respite once that occurs, but it never fully goes away.

At this stage, I'm wondering if it's due to the width of my skates, which have all been Ds. They fit great in the shop, but each time it seems this issue occurs once I actually get out and use them for a bit. I've even tried putting Shock Doctors in my Reeboks and the problem still arises.

In terms of skates, I have quite a skinny ankle so Vapors have been the best in terms of heel lock. I've also tried Eastons, CCMs and Supremes/Nexii(?) in-store, but all have some extra degree of heel lift.

Should I be looking at Vapors in EE at this stage? Does anyone know if the pain I'm experiencing is actually caused by the width being too narrow? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sureshotte: 01-20-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Sureshotte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Onetimersniper28

This past year, I've been using my Bauer supreme one 20 skates, and now the right skate is pretty banged up. The boot doesn't have the same shape as the left one because a hard slap shot destroyed it on Saturday. All my teammates are telling me that it's time for me to replace them for something better this time. One of them works at my LHS, and he says I should spend $200 on supreme skates.

I like the fit of the supreme skates, so I'm not gonna change that. I'm just wondering, is it necessary for me to spend a lot on skates ? I don't feel like that will improve my game at all. How much should I spend ?

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote