HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PowerPlayManager #10 - Basketball starts in 6 months?

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Obryantj

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
Obryantj, how awesome was it to see that result? The Coronas lost to the 13th place team putting the Boilermakers in front by a single point!

I was happy to re-gain 1st place for the first time since match 13. I have the manager-less Corsairs, Grissons, and you left on the schedule. Corona has the Fakeballers, Mouth Breathers, and Baton Rouge Bombers remaining (in that order).

I'm 18-0-1 since our 1st meeting this season; the lone loss coming to the Fakeballers.

Quote:
Our match-up in game 42 could be very interesting indeed You could be fighting for first while I'm trying to hang onto 4th. Not to be a ***** or anything, but I hope I have 4th locked up by then. I would love to be able to save my guys for the CWC.
I hope to have 1st place clinched by then, but obviously need some help. Zomg and redcard/ngrover, mind helping me out?

I'd like to point out that 5th place might get you into next season's ChL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
Sounds like USA I.1 is plenty exciting. Canada I.1 lost another long-time active vet today (Muffin Fighters) to go along with Shinodas, Vancouver FC, Loser Patrol, Alberta Pirates, Grass Monkeys and JSF Lightning. Our U NT system is in dire straights these days. Few div2 teams have the facilities to pull and/or develop good young players. We will be reliant on less than a dozen teams almost exclusively.
Four teams are mathematically alive for the USA I.1 title, but that's expected to be two games after tomorrow's matches. The top 2 teams are separate by a point and the 3rd and 5th place teams are separated by 3 points. It's pretty close to last season when the title was decided by goal differential and the 3rd and 5th place teams were separated by 4 points.

The US junior teams are also made up of a lot of players from a handful of teams. We have a decent number of teams with SA-15 (8 in division I; 1 in division II), so I'm not sure what the issue is (staff maybe?). I will say that a player that I sold a couple seasons ago because he had absolutely no future with my team (low qualities) is starting on one of our junior teams.

H. Young seems to be delivering for Canada's U20 team. 7 goals in 4 matches! A quick run-through the U20 teams shows him as the 2nd highest OR, U-20 player (behind the Czech Republic's goalie).

Old
01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
tujague

Quote:
Sounds like USA I.1 is plenty exciting. Canada I.1 lost another long-time active vet today (Muffin Fighters) to go along with Shinodas, Vancouver FC, Loser Patrol, Alberta Pirates, Grass Monkeys and JSF Lightning. Our U NT system is in dire straights these days. Few div2 teams have the facilities to pull and/or develop good young players. We will be reliant on less than a dozen teams almost exclusively.
What the hell's going on up there? There's 5-6 dead teams in I.1 right now. And aren't the Muffin Fighters the team that I just beat in the CWC?

Quote:
Also, tujague, can you add tescosamoa as a moderator on the front page of the thread? He replaced Outsider626 as of today due to the recent shenanigans.
Done. And added Coach bruce and Cory finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
I was happy to re-gain 1st place for the first time since match 13. I have the manager-less Corsairs, Grissons, and you left on the schedule. Corona has the Fakeballers, Mouth Breathers, and Baton Rouge Bombers remaining (in that order).

I'm 18-0-1 since our 1st meeting this season; the lone loss coming to the Fakeballers.

I hope to have 1st place clinched by then, but obviously need some help. Zomg and redcard/ngrover, mind helping me out?
That's awesome that the last three opponents for the Coronas all post here. Someone has to step up. I'm pulling for you even if it means the Fakeballers are the ones to knock out the Coronas.

Quote:
I'd like to point out that 5th place might get you into next season's ChL.
I'm not even thinking about the ChL or CWC. I just don't want to finish behind zomg again

Quote:
I will say that a player that I sold a couple seasons ago because he had absolutely no future with my team (low qualities) is starting on one of our junior teams.
Speaking of selling crap players who end up starting for the U NTs, do you still have Hernandez on the team? I think that's his name.

Old
01-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
That's awesome that the last three opponents for the Coronas all post here. Someone has to step up. I'm pulling for you even if it means the Fakeballers are the ones to knock out the Coronas.
I think Doug is rebuilding (and logging in less often), but I also found it interesting that his last three opponents post here. It should be an exciting end of the season.

Quote:
I'm not even thinking about the ChL or CWC. I just don't want to finish behind zomg again
While I can imagine wanting to finish ahead of your rival, I'll assume you really want to be in an international cup next season.

You'd have to win the CWC to qualify there, right? The ChL would require a top 4 finish or 5th place with a US ChL champion. Between the three scenarios, I like your chances.

Quote:
Speaking of selling crap players who end up starting for the U NTs, do you still have Hernandez on the team? I think that's his name.
Hernandez is still on the team. He doesn't play (and I should really look into selling some players), but his OR looks good. He's at 1,283 OR at 19 and 5/6 (1st season). He's 6th on my SD depth chart and his EQ is comparable to those above him on the chart. He's also the 5th highest OR 19 year old on the USA U-20 NT (and, uh, 6th highest OR 19 year old on my team). SD is a position where I could use a youth revival. The top 2 are older (25 and 24) and some of the prospects have caught up in OR and are ready to play (I'm primarily thinking of Ruffin).

In manum's post about what he expects the NT roster to look like next season, Ruffin and Holmes would join the team. I think I'm a little embarrassed that I would then have 4 backups on the senior NT. I think I need to sell some players (like Beadle).

Old
01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Cory
Hockeytown

Hey Canucks, since PPMe is in the final stages of approval, thought you'd want to know this. I just checked today and it deleted all of my saved positions and ratios. I didn't change anything recently. It was working after the changes I made a few days ago. I didn't check it again until today and it's just gone, for both hockey and soccer.

EDIT: On another note, if anyone on here needs to fill up some dates for friendlies in hockey, send me some challenges. Turkey III and Bosnia and Herzegovina III refuse to make pucks as of right now. Assuming nothing changes with that, I have no reason to keep a big availability, and now I'm just getting a bunch of challenges from foreign teams with managers I don't know trying to fill my calendar. I have a 15,000 seat arena that will be 17,500 in less than 2 weeks. For obvious reasons, I'd recommend having me as the home team unless you're one of the few managers on here who has already maxed their arena. Priority given to US and Canadian teams (as well as non-North American managers on this forum). If you or a buddy need(s) to boost the income a bit, my friendlies are a good way to go.

Last edited by Cory: 01-20-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Funsies
Old
01-20-2014, 09:34 PM
canucks357

Quote:
H. Young seems to be delivering for Canada's U20 team. 7 goals in 4 matches! A quick run-through the U20 teams shows him as the 2nd highest OR, U-20 player (behind the Czech Republic's goalie).
Nice! I need more U NT players in soccer. I'm loaded in hockey but aside from mediocre Canadian players I don't have much on OAP for U20/U17 nationals.

Quote:
What the hell's going on up there? There's 5-6 dead teams in I.1 right now. And aren't the Muffin Fighters the team that I just beat in the CWC?
No clue. A few quit to focus on hockey + handball. The others just left. Not sure what is going on. All the people with strong hockey teams are still around. I feel with Handball launch soccer will be neglected since everyone has either a good hockey team or a shot at a decent handball team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Hey Canucks, since PPMe is in the final stages of approval, thought you'd want to know this. I just checked today and it deleted all of my saved positions and ratios. I didn't change anything recently. It was working after the changes I made a few days ago. I didn't check it again until today and it's just gone, for both hockey and soccer.
We did an update so it would have rebooted on its own. It should be green-lit this week. If you want to delete it and re-install it you can do so:
HERE - Chrome Browser
HERE - Non-Chrome Browsers

Old
01-20-2014, 09:45 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

I just revoked my soccer team - I prefer to focus on Handball and Hockey

Old
01-20-2014, 11:34 PM
EspOrrsito
edumacated

Quote:
We did an update so it would have rebooted on its own. It should be green-lit this week. If you want to delete it and re-install it you can do so:
HERE - Chrome Browser
HERE - Non-Chrome Browsers
Thanks to all those involved in making the PPMe tool, it is very helpful.

Now if only someone could make a tactics tool.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:49 PM
fakezomg

I'm certainly putting everything I've got into beating the FC Coronas, but playing a stronger team on the road means I need some luck to go along with that.

I won't be all that upset about missing out on the ChL next season if that happens since my last two outings weren't terribly impressive. Getting stuck in a group with one stronger team and two weaker teams that play every game on VH means I don't get much OTR unless I spend way more energy than I want, early in the season on matches that are not terribly important to the team's future.

I get depressed thinking about the soccer national team too. Been playing since the very beginning, been in I.1 quite a while now, yet still have never had a player from academy good enough to make the senior team.

Old
01-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Cory
Hockeytown

So, someone marked the transfer of Scruggs as suspicious. GM approved it quickly. That's interesting...

Old
01-21-2014, 08:16 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
So, someone marked the transfer of Scruggs as suspicious. GM approved it quickly. That's interesting...
Some people do it often. If only you could mark the people who mark transfers as suspicious as suspicious

Old
01-21-2014, 08:52 AM
tujague

Quote:
While I can imagine wanting to finish ahead of your rival, I'll assume you really want to be in an international cup next season.

You'd have to win the CWC to qualify there, right? The ChL would require a top 4 finish or 5th place with a US ChL champion. Between the three scenarios, I like your chances.
Yeah, I have a shot. If I win the CWC, then I'm in. If you or the Betamax win the CHL, then I'm in. If I finish in 4th, then I'm in.

So worst case scenario is I lose the CWC, you two lose the ChL, and I finish in 5th. I'd feel like redcard if I just missed out on that many opportunites

Quote:
In manum's post about what he expects the NT roster to look like next season, Ruffin and Holmes would join the team. I think I'm a little embarrassed that I would then have 4 backups on the senior NT. I think I need to sell some players (like Beadle).
According to his list, I could have 5 backups on the team. Well, one was sold, but he's still my boy! Kind of shocking that Kelly White is even in the running to be the back-up to the almighty Zak Aldridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
Boo!

Old
01-21-2014, 08:59 AM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakezomg View Post
I'm certainly putting everything I've got into beating the FC Coronas, but playing a stronger team on the road means I need some luck to go along with that.
Yeah, I try not to go too hard when I'm playing those guys on the road. Even if you do everything right, you still need a heaping helping of luck to get a tie. Of course, now that Obryantj knows this, I will be playing him on High in his place hoping to catch him napping. Or will I? mwahahahahaha

Quote:
I won't be all that upset about missing out on the ChL next season if that happens since my last two outings weren't terribly impressive. Getting stuck in a group with one stronger team and two weaker teams that play every game on VH means I don't get much OTR unless I spend way more energy than I want, early in the season on matches that are not terribly important to the team's future.
Really? How good are the ChL teams? Could I use my backups who have an OTS between 130-140 on High and be competitive?

The CWC guys are much nicer. They all pretty much lay down and die. Or my backups are good enough to beat them on Normal anyway

Quote:
I get depressed thinking about the soccer national team too. Been playing since the very beginning, been in I.1 quite a while now, yet still have never had a player from academy good enough to make the senior team.
What? That's a surprise. Any good young players on the U teams?

Old
01-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Emerald76

So the soccer season is coming to an end, and I've had what can only be described as a "cakewalk" in Ireland I.1 this season.

39 games in and I've drawn 1 game and won the rest.
The NC is in the pocket too.

My main guy (Aiden Garvey) has been in blistering league form this season scoring 82 goals in 38 games, with 18 assists to his name also.

I've thrown my main bunch of players into a TC to give them a slight boost before the league cup, they'll get a 2nd one in just before the 1/2 finals of this comp too.

~

Hockey has been going pretty well also, up to now I've lost 1 game in a shoot-out and won the rest. Currently top of the league on goal difference.
Also tied up the NC too earlier on.

~

Handball is meh...

I'll take a look at it tonight and may decide to revoke my team, have been feeling like doing so for a season or so now. I simply have no interest in the game whatsoever.
Facilities and stadium building has been good till now though.. and as much as I feel like revoking my team, I feel I should give it a proper go. Meh, I'll see later today!

Old
01-21-2014, 10:07 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
Why not keep it and just check pulls once a week? Could help the NTs out with the odd pull. Pump all money into your SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald76 View Post
So the soccer season is coming to an end, and I've had what can only be described as a "cakewalk" in Ireland I.1 this season.
You need to be moved from the IPL to the CPL (Canadian Premier League)... where you'll have some real competition

Old
01-21-2014, 10:44 AM
redcard

Quote:
Heh, I'll do my best. My next 3 games are Coronas and the two teams directly ahead of me. I could still conceivably finish sixth, but not betting on it.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:55 AM
fakezomg

Quote:
Really? How good are the ChL teams? Could I use my backups who have an OTS between 130-140 on High and be competitive?
That's probably what I should have done, but I thought I could win on Normal with my starters. That strategy got me a last place finish in my group, and as I recall, this season it was actually 2 weaker teams playing VH and 1 similar strength team playing High. So annoying...

Quote:
What? That's a surprise. Any good young players on the U teams?
I've only got 3 players on the U teams, and I don't think any are good enough to get picked up by the senior team someday. My SA was garbage during the critical seasons 3-5 which is where most of the first batch of long-term national team players come from, and since then, I've never pulled a true superstar good enough to claim a spot.

Old
01-21-2014, 02:15 PM
canucks357

I'll be tossing a bunch of guys on the market tomorrow with next Wednesday as a deadline. If you want any information on them let me know, I'd be happy to answer.

The 19 year olds who are decent backups for a top I.1 team will both drop to 4/6 next year so be mindful of that should you chose to bid on them.

Old
01-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
According to his list, I could have 5 backups on the team. Well, one was sold, but he's still my boy! Kind of shocking that Kelly White is even in the running to be the back-up to the almighty Zak Aldridge.
Sorry, I meant 4 players that are backups on my team would be on the NT. I don't know if that's what you meant as well.

Quote:
Yeah, I try not to go too hard when I'm playing those guys on the road. Even if you do everything right, you still need a heaping helping of luck to get a tie. Of course, now that Obryantj knows this, I will be playing him on High in his place hoping to catch him napping. Or will I? mwahahahahaha
I already know what intensity I'll play against you regardless of the standings. Feel free to lay down and play high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Heh, I'll do my best. My next 3 games are Coronas and the two teams directly ahead of me. I could still conceivably finish sixth, but not betting on it.
It sounds like an exciting end to the season for you. Good luck!

Old
01-21-2014, 02:49 PM
canucks357

Looks like I'll win all 3 games during this training camp. That leaves one camp left. If I start it Sunday my guys will only miss the first round of the League Cup. If I win that I'll have a good shot at going the distance while everyone has their guys in camp. I promised myself to not check sponsor offers until *after* the League Cup OTR for a win is dulled out. I forget about this every year and every year Obryanj reminds us

Old
01-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
I'll be tossing a bunch of guys on the market tomorrow with next Wednesday as a deadline. If you want any information on them let me know, I'd be happy to answer.

The 19 year olds who are decent backups for a top I.1 team will both drop to 4/6 next year so be mindful of that should you chose to bid on them.
Related to selling players, I need to decide if the extra cash I might receive next week (compared to the next week) will make up for my increased market fees. I'm currently at 10 players sales in the last 112 days, with four of those happening 103 days ago.

Old
01-21-2014, 04:41 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Related to selling players, I need to decide if the extra cash I might receive next week (compared to the next week) will make up for my increased market fees. I'm currently at 10 players sales in the last 112 days, with four of those happening 103 days ago.
Ya Wednesday will be day 112 not day 113 for me which means inflated fees as well. Ah well, I gotta bite the bullet. I'm at 40* players.

* Note: Some are pulls just so I can field a team while in training camp.

Old
01-21-2014, 05:29 PM
suprvilce

Quote:
Ya Wednesday will be day 112 not day 113 for me which means inflated fees as well. Ah well, I gotta bite the bullet. I'm at 40* players.

* Note: Some are pulls just so I can field a team while in training camp.
But don't the fees reset on day 112? For example in hockey for the last 3 seasons I've sold players on the very last day of the season, and every season on that day the inflated fees from previous season reset.

Old
01-21-2014, 05:51 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
But don't the fees reset on day 112? For example in hockey for the last 3 seasons I've sold players on the very last day of the season, and every season on that day the inflated fees from previous season reset.
I thought it was after since you're allowed 10 in 112 days where as on day 112 those 10 are still there and counting and on day 113 they have been swept off. No?

Old
01-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Why not keep it and just check pulls once a week? Could help the NTs out with the odd pull. Pump all money into your SA.
I guess that would be easy enough - I'll reconsider

Old
01-21-2014, 10:40 PM
camrawrn

Quote:
I thought it was after since you're allowed 10 in 112 days where as on day 112 those 10 are still there and counting and on day 113 they have been swept off. No?
I sold hockey players on the same day for three seasons in a row and was never charged the extra fee. So I think day 112 is okay to sell.

Closed Thread