HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Old
01-02-2014, 10:46 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebranded Fan View Post
I dont know. Bars in Scottsdale if you're 30+ under 30 hit up Mill.
That's what I always say too, haha.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
The day I realized I was too old for mill and too young for Scottsdale was an interesting point.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 02:14 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebranded Fan View Post
The day I realized I was too old for mill and too young for Scottsdale was an interesting point.
Right there with you. I'm 27 right now.

Mill Avenue to me is "What the hell am I doing drinking with a bunch of college kids."

Scottsdale to me is "What the hell am I doing drinking with a bunch of 30+ rich snobs."

Well this is why they sell booze at stores and I can get drunk at home by myself and post dumb posts like this one on message boards, right?

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 04:05 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
So, I'm currently on the plane on my way to Phoenix from Minneapolis. I'm going to the game tomorrow, and staying at the hotel that is across the street from the arena, the renaissance? Anything I should make a point of doing while I'm in the area? I'm in my 20's and not much of a bar-goer.

Also, Anything I HAVE to try as far as concessions at the game?

Last edited by elnewby: 01-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.
elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Hairz

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what hotel the away team usually stays at.

Thanks in advance.

Hairz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
I think it's the Renaissance next door

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:40 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
So, I'm currently on the plane on my way to Phoenix from Minneapolis. I'm going to the game tomorrow, and staying at the hotel that is across the street from the arena, the renaissance? Anything I should make a point of doing while I'm in the area? I'm in my 20's and not much of a bar-goer.

Also, Anything I HAVE to try as far as concessions at the game?
First, welcome.

If the weather's nice (and you have transportation), I'd go for a hike. That would be a good Arizona in January experience for someone visiting from Minnesota, unless of course you golf. The lobby can tell you where to go.

I can't think of any concessions that are must haves, although lately we've been braving the long lines for the Wetzel Pretzels cinnamon bits ... you can get Tim Horton's coffee now, but I tried one the other night, and it tastes...like coffee.

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:50 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
Quote:
It's 23 pages, but read through the thread and you'll find a ton.

How long are you in town? Hiking Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale is a good hike here in town you can do in a couple hours; drive up to Sedona (90 mins each way) is a bigger, better hike but it'll take all day. Grand Canyon is 3.5 hours north of PHX.

Taliesin West in Scottsdale is Frank Lloyd Wright's old winter home in Scottsdale and they do 2-hour tours. Best landmark / tourist attraction in the Valley.

The Musical Instrument Museum in North Phoenix is huge and has a collection of modern/historical instruments from around the world with audio / video recordings of each one. This isn't "uniquely Arizona" or anything, but if you're really into music, this place will blow your mind. You could spend all day there and still not see all of it.

La Perla Cafe (Mexican) and Lenny's (Burgers) are both on Glendale Ave and they're both the truth. Neither are anywhere near Westgate ... at Westgate, Yardhouse has good food but its claim to fame is the massive beer selection ... Shane's BBQ ain't bad either. Hope this helps, welcome to town ...

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 11:16 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

^ Yep, Taliesin and the MIM are worth the visit.

As far as in-town hiking goes, I also like Dreamy Draw. Once you're in the middle of the park it doesn't feel like you're inside the city, and it's very central.
http://phoenix.gov/parks/trails/loca...eak/hikingmap/

There's also the Heard Museum downtown if you're interested in native american history. It's really nice.

If you have a car and are looking for something off-the-wall, not your typical Sedona / Grand Canyon tours (which are great, don't get me wrong), I like Jerome. Such a weird little ghost town. It has a lot of character, amazing views, and the gold mine close to it is a trip (it's more of a junkyard than a gold mine, but I liked it a lot).

http://www.azjerome.com/jerome/

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 11:40 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it! I'm only in Glendale tomorrow, but I will be in the Mesa area until the 17th. I have done some hiking in previous vacations, and I plan to do some more. Not sure if I want to pony up and spend a day driving for the Grand Canyon yet. Sedona does sound appealing though. I like things/places a little slower paced and more relaxed, yet still offer a good experience.

Old
01-09-2014, 12:54 AM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Sedona does sound appealing though. I like things/places a little slower paced and more relaxed, yet still offer a good experience.
Yeah, if you're gonna be around that long go do that. Go find an energy vortex (ask the locals). Then drive through Jerome on the way back.

Old
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

Thought I would update you guys on my trip so far. We arrived in Glendale around 2pm on Thursday, did some shopping at the outlet mall across the street, which was great. Went over to the Renaissance at 4 and checked in. It was pretty cool as the Wild were heading out and I got to talk to a few of the guys and get some pics, a great experience. We went over and checked out Westgate which was really cool, I wish we had something like this back in MN. A great place for pre or post game. We ate at Shane's Rib Shack, which was just okay.(Had Lucille's the night before, which is amazing). Then headed into the arena and found our spots, went over and stood by the Wild tunnel and got some fist bumps from the guys as they headed out. We had those chocolate covered strawberries on a stick for a snack, tasted great, nothing like that here in MN. Had Lenny's burger(as recommended by you guys) on the way home. Definitely a hit, great burgers and fries. Overall a great experience, you have a lot more to offer than at the Xcel Center and I will definitely be back.

Old
01-10-2014, 10:07 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Thought I would update you guys on my trip so far. We arrived in Glendale around 2pm on Thursday, did some shopping at the outlet mall across the street, which was great. Went over to the Renaissance at 4 and checked in. It was pretty cool as the Wild were heading out and I got to talk to a few of the guys and get some pics, a great experience. We went over and checked out Westgate which was really cool, I wish we had something like this back in MN. A great place for pre or post game. We ate at Shane's Rib Shack, which was just okay.(Had Lucille's the night before, which is amazing). Then headed into the arena and found our spots, went over and stood by the Wild tunnel and got some fist bumps from the guys as they headed out. We had those chocolate covered strawberries on a stick for a snack, tasted great, nothing like that here in MN. Had Lenny's burger(as recommended by you guys) on the way home. Definitely a hit, great burgers and fries. Overall a great experience, you have a lot more to offer than at the Xcel Center and I will definitely be back.
Cool man, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon.

Old
01-11-2014, 02:31 AM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Overall a great experience, you have a lot more to offer than at the Xcel Center and I will definitely be back.
That's funny - I went to the Xcel Center two years ago and was impressed... by your beer selection anyway (my avatar picture was taken there, in fact, April 2012)

Old
01-13-2014, 12:43 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
That's funny - I went to the Xcel Center two years ago and was impressed... by your beer selection anyway (my avatar picture was taken there, in fact, April 2012)
I should clarify, I do think the Xcel Center is one of the nicest in the league. However, I liked how the surrounding area was set up. Westage, outlet malls, and University of Phoenix stadium. Parking was really easy as well. Whereas in MN you end up parking miles away on a roadside and marching through the freezing temps.

Old
01-20-2014, 02:01 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Not sure where this belongs, but...

I recently went online to buy one of my favorite hockey sweaters, the Cubist Coyote. I won the bid and received a beautiful Starter away white jersey, with the name "Lyons" and the number "92." I checked your all-time roster and found neither the name nor the number. I presume it was personalized by a previous owner, but I thought I'd ask in case there is some other explanation (a promotion of some sort, perhaps). Not that it's important, I just want the right answer, should anyone ask. Thanks.

Last edited by pete goegan: 01-20-2014 at 02:24 PM.
pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
PHX has an amateur scout named Steve Lyons, but he never played for the Coyotes, never wore 92 during his brief minor league career, he worked as a scout for the Blackhawks in 1992 and the Coyotes didn't yet exist anyway.

I think the real story is that there's a secondary market for owner-customized jerseys ... who knew?

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=32764

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:47 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
PHX has an amateur scout named Steve Lyons, but he never played for the Coyotes, never wore 92 during his brief minor league career, he worked as a scout for the Blackhawks in 1992 and the Coyotes didn't yet exist anyway.

I think the real story is that there's a secondary market for owner-customized jerseys ... who knew?

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=32764
Thanks for the info. I'm not a collector and I don't often wear a sweater (I'm too old and feel silly!), so I just bought it because I like the design. And it was very cheap!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 02:56 PM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Cool clubs near the arena?

Hey everyone,

Coming to the area next weekend for a bachelor party! Our group will be going to the Penguins/Coyotes game on Saturday night and we are looking for a club in the area where we can get bottle service for 12-14 guys.

I guess the best place would be somewhere that has more than 1 room or at least has a little bit of balance to the music that they play throughout the night. We have a good sized budget and are willing to pay extra for a place with a very high probabililty of delivering a good experience. Something close to the arena would be excellent. We are all mid to late 20's and are coming down south from a smaller city in Western Canada so a large venue with great energy and lots of attractive women is highly appealing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

ShippinItDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 03:46 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Glendale is a giant suburb. There's nothing to do there.

For what you're looking for, you'll have to go to downtown Scottsdale, about 30 miles east of the arena.

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=danc...ottsdale%2C+AZ

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 04:08 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Glendale is a giant suburb. There's nothing to do there.

For what you're looking for, you'll have to go to downtown Scottsdale, about 30 miles east of the arena.

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=danc...ottsdale%2C+AZ
This.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShippinItDaily View Post
Hey everyone,

Coming to the area next weekend for a bachelor party! Our group will be going to the Penguins/Coyotes game on Saturday night and we are looking for a club in the area where we can get bottle service for 12-14 guys.

I guess the best place would be somewhere that has more than 1 room or at least has a little bit of balance to the music that they play throughout the night. We have a good sized budget and are willing to pay extra for a place with a very high probabililty of delivering a good experience. Something close to the arena would be excellent. We are all mid to late 20's and are coming down south from a smaller city in Western Canada so a large venue with great energy and lots of attractive women is highly appealing.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...lver-mint.html

Although the article dates back to 2011, it has some tips about bottle service and it names the Revolver Lounge and The Mint in Scottsdale that does bottle service.

Also there is a place called Christie's Cabaret in Tempe, Phoenix, and Glendale AZ and they do bottle service.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 01-27-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShippinItDaily View Post
Hey everyone,

You want Old Town Scottsdale, there is no debate here whatsoever. Mint, Epiq, Revolver, Maya, etc. doesn't matter, they're all in the same area and you'd probably like all of them. It may be worth noting that Bottle Blonde is opening the weekend you'll be here, it replaces one of the most popular night spots of the past 15 years. It may be the "place to be" this weekend if you're hoping to make a big splash. It too is located in Old Town Scottsdale and fyi, all the clubs/bars I've mentioned in this post are literally within a couple of blocks of each other so you could easily bar hop and VIP it at the one you like the best. Again, for what you're wanting, there is no debate here. Old. Town. Scottsdale.

Last edited by Sinurgy: 01-27-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 01:18 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
I had the good fortune to be able to attend the Coyote / Canucks game a few weeks ago. I'm not a Canucks fan, but was in Phoenix for the first time on holiday.

Spent a day up in Sedona, took the kids to the Zoo, and even took a few days and drove to Disney in Anaheim.

Great trip, and the game was fun. Really like all the restaurants in the area and we had dinner at a pizza joint close to the AMC theatre end.

One question to Coyote fans who have been in other arena's, do you find that the audio in Jobing to be on the high side? Seemed like it was cranked pretty loud.

Anyway, had a great time!

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:59 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
One question to Coyote fans who have been in other arena's, do you find that the audio in Jobing to be on the high side? Seemed like it was cranked pretty loud.
They are wildly inconsistent it seems. Some days whoever is in charge is pumping extra volume and another it seems very quiet.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote