Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Re-sign Amonte Thread

Old
01-29-2007, 09:42 PM
boarderex

vCash: 500
Official Re-sign Amonte Thread

Even though Amonte is not the player he was 10 years ago and his contract is probably a liability right now, I would hate to see him go after this season. There is a lot of talk about being able to get rid of Amonte and his contract next year but we are neglecting the fact that getting rid of his contract and getting rid of Amonte don't need to go together.

Amonte performs his role on the team very effectively and I think Sutter should definitely try to work out a deal to bring him back for atleast another season(maybe 2?). If he will come back for somewhere in the range of $1 million I think it is a no brainer.

boarderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Lunatik*

if he signs for a million or yes maybe... but i'd like to see a couple of the kids get a shot next season... and between Boyd, Moss, Taratukhin and Prust... there is alot of options with teh kids... i wouldnt even be shocked to see all but Prust in the NHL all season next year

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:21 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderex View Post
Amonte performs his role on the team very effectively and I think Sutter should definitely try to work out a deal to bring him back for atleast another season(maybe 2?). If he will come back for somewhere in the range of $1 million I think it is a no brainer.

I agree. I've always liked Amonte.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:28 PM
BenThatcher

Some other team will offer him much more than he's worth, just like we did with Friesen this year. Goodbye Tony.

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Red Menace

NO!!!

Couldn't disagree more....Amonte has been a bust overall.
He's only had a handful of productive games. I would be terribly upset if they kept him (and Friesen) at the expense of one of the youngsters.
Sorry, but Tony must retire or move on to some team stupid enough to take him

Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Rudolf Yaber

I'd really like to see him stick around.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:50 PM
boarderex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Couldn't disagree more....Amonte has been a bust overall.
He's only had a handful of productive games. I would be terribly upset if they kept him (and Friesen) at the expense of one of the youngsters.
Sorry, but Tony must retire or move on to some team stupid enough to take him
Amonte has only been a bust if you were expecting a 20 goal scorer. He works hard every night and is certainly playing better than the stats suggest.

McCarty and Friesen will be gone for sure next year and now with Lundmark in LA, there will be chances for the young guys. I'm not really sure which ones you think will be regulars next year cause I imagine most of them will still be mainly filling in for injuries ect. Correct me if I am wrong but assuming the guys I just mentioned are not back with the flames, wouldnt that mean that Boyd, Prust and Moss would all likely be staying with the big team and fighting for regular ice time(similar to McCarty, Friesen, Lundmark this year)?

boarderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:52 PM
da_pope*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perogieboy View Post
I'd really like to see him stick around.

da_pope* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:54 AM
kruezer

I would like to keep Amonte for the right price as well, maybe 1.1 or 1.2 tops, 1 mill a year would be good IMO, he is still a solid bottom line producer and I am personally not in favour of having too many young guys on the team at once, let the guys steal there spots from older players like Moss and Gio (and to a degree, Boyd) are doing this year.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 04:25 AM
natural420*

imma put it realistically, he isnt worth more then he'll make somewhere else. i'll be mad if he makes more then 1.2 in calgary again, and really, we wont pay him that much. at most, we re-sign him for 1m, and still i dont like it. he cant finish scoring chances and has been a bust since day one. good riddance, i hope he proves me wrong in the playoffs

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I agree that while he hasn't contributed offensively, he's still worth resigning. He got 14 goals last year and should finish with 15 this year, so that's not bad production coming your bottom two lines. And he has reinvented himself as a penalty killer and defensive player.I like Tony and would love to see the Chowd back for another year at a pay cut though. A million sounds about right.

And besides, this guy could get hot in the playoffs, it's not like he's lost his skill and ability. It's still there somewhere! He had 4 or 5 points in 7 playoff games last year and wasn't on the top line!

And lastly. we do have guys like Moss, Boyd, and Taratukhin that could step up, but you don't want your bottom two lines to have too many rookies, as you need that veteran presence. The rookies will have to earn their spots next year.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 02:06 PM
chriss_co

i would like to keep amonte for cheap BUT we have to think of what will happen after next year w/ most of our core being up for UFA

i say we allow one of the cheaper kids to play next year so that perhaps even with that several hundred thousand we save in cap space, we might be able to keep someone we might not have been able to

i think its a lock that iggy and kipper stay... keeping regehr for long term (and huselius, langkow) will be the big question marks

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
imma put it realistically, he isnt worth more then he'll make somewhere else. i'll be mad if he makes more then 1.2 in calgary again, and really, we wont pay him that much. at most, we re-sign him for 1m, and still i dont like it. he cant finish scoring chances and has been a bust since day one. good riddance, i hope he proves me wrong in the playoffs
That depends on your expectations. He has been far from a bust considering the role he has taken on with the team.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Tony Amonte is someone I would like us to keep (even if for just one more year), but not someone I feel we NEED to keep. If we could keep him for a reasonable price, I'd be all for it. But not if we'd have to pay him more than he's worth.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote