HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #51| Rescheduled| Wed., Jan. 22, 2014| Hurricanes at Flyers |6:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Fortunately Timonen & Mesz can walk leaving them with

Coburn
Grossman
Streit
Schenn

under contract, Holmgren can find a home for all of them in the offseason, as a group they are not good, but individually they can definitely find success.

I'm not suggesting he rips the entire D apart and start from scratch, but it wouldn't surprise me to see at least 3 new dmen next year.
I would suggest ripping the defense apart and starting over but that is not practical. Coburn is the only legitimate top 4 guy out of that crew and by legitimate I mean a defenseman who is a top 4 on a championship level team. Grossmann, Streiit, and Schenn are all bottom pair guys a good teams needing controlled minutes with little chance of becoming anything more.

I think adding two new guys who can skate and pass and Mark Alt to the lineup is a good start in getting this blueline ready to compete against the good teams in the league.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:13 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
People *****ing about Rosehill are completely missing the problem. I understand there are a few go-to complaints that must be used for every loss, even though they don't make sense 99% of the time, like "no effort", "Rosehill is a goon", "invisible 1st line", "invisible captain", and then "no effort" a couple more times. Rosehill is not the problem, he doesn't take penalties except for fighting majors, he spends only a few minutes on the ice each game, and it's not like he's sitting there taking baseball swings at the puck while the other team skates around him and scores. The problem is the D is completely useless and a couple of our forwards serve absolutely zero purpose other than negatively impacting the team. The amount of PK time this team is subjected to is due to a lot of stupid moves by the players who should be smart enough to avoid them.. Downie, Timonen, Grossman, Coburn.
I understand that Rosy is not the issue. He should not even be in the picture, he is a non-factor.

The whole team is taking too many penalties. Some of the minors are a direct result of the players' limitations like lack of speed or puck controll but the other half are attributed to stupidity and lack of self control.

Anyhow, Berube hasn't found a way to handle it so far. If you can't fix it, you have to bear it! VandeVelde can kill penalties and looks like competent skater, so he can at least help them PK. That's more valuable than Rosehill taking another non-factor out of the game for 5 minutes when he fights him!

Old
01-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I would suggest ripping the defense apart and starting over but that is not practical. Coburn is the only legitimate top 4 guy out of that crew and by legitimate I mean a defenseman who is a top 4 on a championship level team. Grossmann, Streiit, and Schenn are all bottom pair guys a good teams needing controlled minutes with little chance of becoming anything more.

I think adding two new guys who can skate and pass and Mark Alt to the lineup is a good start in getting this blueline ready to compete against the good teams in the league.
I think Streit can be considered a top #4, 20 minute guy on a good, deep playoff team... but only if paired with the right guy (like Carle was), Streit can put up 40 points and move a puck well, but he needs a guy to be his defensive mind. But you need someone like Girardi or MacDonald (guys who could possibly be available) for that.

That is the easy bit... quite scarily... as those kind of players are likely unavailable, and very sought after.

And the you need a 1b# to pair with Coburn. (Ehrhoff or Edler are the only ones seemingly semi-available)

That configuration (with possibly a different player combo, but a similar onus) could I believe make a deep run. But getting them would be a crapshoot to begin with, and then very expensive for the 1b#... unless they went after a guy like Del Zotto with potential. And then that is a massive risk.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Flyers game still on for now.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Hiesenberg

Wayne Train apparently has the most points (22) league wide since 12/17 (17 games)

Impressive. I think he would be a pretty big trade chip should Holmgren want to acquire a dman

Old
01-21-2014, 09:55 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post

Agreed, with the only exception being Streit. I think he could be a number four on a contender if paired with someone who can protect him - similar to Carle.

I've been saying it for a couple of weeks now, but I'm still a big proponent of them making a splash at the draft to get a difference maker on defense. They have a whole slew of good defenssive prospects, but as it stands now, none of them have number one upside. I know, it's easier said than done, but this team isn't going to move towards being a contender until they get a number one defenseman. With that guy, I would feel very comfortable moving forward with guys like Coburn, Streit, Morin, Schenn, Alt, Ghost, and Hagg as your collection of guys to fill the 2-6 roles.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Agreed, with the only exception being Streit. I think he could be a number four on a contender if paired with someone who can protect him - similar to Carle.

I've been saying it for a couple of weeks now, but I'm still a big proponent of them making a splash at the draft to get a difference maker on defense. They have a whole slew of good defenssive prospects, but as it stands now, none of them have number one upside. I know, it's easier said than done, but this team isn't going to move towards being a contender until they get a number one defenseman. With that guy, I would feel very comfortable moving forward with guys like Coburn, Streit, Morin, Schenn, Alt, Ghost, and Hagg as your collection of guys to fill the 2-6 roles.
The flyers have no shot at Ekblad but i think will be in position to get fleury or McKeown as I think they miss the playoffs. Hopefully I am wrong but the next 7 games after tonight will really show what this team is made of.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:51 AM
gjack
Rookie User

Quote:
Wayne Train apparently has the most points (22) league wide since 12/17 (17 games)

Impressive. I think he would be a pretty big trade chip should Holmgren want to acquire a dman
I don't think that would be a good idea. Take the only guy on the team who shows 110% on the ice and has the most points? I would rather get rid of some of the dead weight we acquired as rookies that we though would turn into all stars. Seems like JVR all over again to me, but I am sure they will have their best season once we trade them... the curse...

Old
01-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjack View Post
I don't think that would be a good idea. Take the only guy on the team who shows 110% on the ice and has the most points? I would rather get rid of some of the dead weight we acquired as rookies that we though would turn into all stars. Seems like JVR all over again to me, but I am sure they will have their best season once we trade them... the curse...
I agree, but you trash somebody and call them dead weight, I'm thinking there isn't a lot of demand for those guys.

You want talent, you have to trade talent.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Over under of people at game tonight with these weather conditions?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
01-21-2014, 10:55 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjack View Post
Who might you be referring to with this?

Old
01-21-2014, 10:57 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Let's set the line at 5,000 -- roughly 25% capacity.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:59 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Hmm. I might be able to go on a cheap ticket now.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:12 AM
DrHamburg

Quote:
I agree, but you trash somebody and call them dead weight, I'm thinking there isn't a lot of demand for those guys.

You want talent, you have to trade talent.
I see a few problems with this. Simmonds wont get you a #1 dman, not even close if you look at past trades for one. Your #1 paid winger, and future #2 center were terrible this season until you paired all 3 of these guys together. Id be very reluctant to ship out Simmonds who could be the Flyers best contract unless it was a massive overpayment.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Hopefully the game doesnt get snowed out!

Old
01-21-2014, 11:38 AM

I hear the weather's pretty bad in Philly? What chance the game goes ahead?

Old
01-21-2014, 11:47 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I hear the weather's pretty bad in Philly? What chance the game goes ahead?
While there is precedence for games being canceled even though both teams were in a city, indications are this game is likely to be played as scheduled.

And as expected, Steve Mason is confirmed as the starting goalie.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Unstable

Maybe he won't have to get pulled this time.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Yea 2 points is pretty necessary tonight.

The next eight games before the olympic break after tonight will be quite the grind.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
blinds

Hoping to see a full 60 minutes with limited penalties. I don't think the chances are good.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:36 PM
SuchySays

i've seen games go on with worse weather.

a lot of talk on twitter of the game being canceled if the mayor declares a State of Emergency.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 508
The next two games are must wins.

And can we please get a shut out not a shoot out, or at least limit the opposition to two goals or less, thank you.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
You can subtract my four tickets. Back in September I bought them off of a teacher at work who has season tickets for my birthday. There is no way we would be able to make it down from the burbs. She hunted me down today at school and said she wants to give me four tickets to a different game because she "wouldn't have gone tonight anyway" with the snow and she felt bad.

One of the teachers I work with has a daughter that works in the promotional department. She went down to work this morning, brought clothes with her and is just planning on sleeping there tonight. Must be nice, I'd love to sleep there.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
i've seen games go on with worse weather.

a lot of talk on twitter of the game being canceled if the mayor declares a State of Emergency.
Mostly just Sarah Baicker calling for the game to be cancelled...probably because she doesnt want to work tonight.

Unless things get really bad and the power goes out or something I can't see them postponing it.

Old
01-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Maybe he won't have to get pulled this time.
yeah cuz clearly that outcome was all the fault of the play of Mason..

Closed Thread