01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
bruinmann77

vCash: 500
any suggestions from my fellow posters

Old
01-18-2007, 04:29 PM
DaaaaB's

Does anyone know the names of two bars near the Gardens on the same street as Hooters? I think one might've been called Sullivan's and the other The Greatest Bar or Sports Bar but I can't remember exactly.

Old
01-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Boston Bruno

Hey Folks..

I am coming to Boston in the start of March. Hopefully in time to pick up the game between the Flyers and Bruins - and I already have tickets to see the much hated habs..

I am flying in from Calgary Alberta (if anyone wants anything from western canada speak now) to Boston.. 4 nights at the onyx?

Girlfriend sprung this on me. It is a once in a lifetime event for me (or so it appears being that I am 35 and it will be my first time)..

Too bad the b's are looking like a south bound team.. still.. Dream come true for me.

Any suggestions for nice places to take her while we are in town? we watch the food network a fair bit and would love to get to some culinary raritys.
Local fair, baked beans, lobster .. Suggestions?

Old
01-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Does anyone know the names of two bars near the Gardens on the same street as Hooters? I think one might've been called Sullivan's and the other The Greatest Bar or Sports Bar but I can't remember exactly.
Hmmm....the only other place that's coming to mind is The Penalty Box but that's on the same street as the Garden.

Bruno, I believe Ray Bourque owns a nice Italian place. Check a page back or two I believe someone posted a link to it. I have never been personally, but it seems others have enjoyed it. I usually pick up quick, easy food at a sports bar or something so I'm not much help.

Old
01-30-2007, 09:29 AM
bruinmann77

Tresca on Hanover st is Ray Place
any othere ideas for Italian food.

Old
01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Boston Bruno

How hard is it to get in a Providence game and then back to the big city?

Old
01-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Hey Folks..

Any suggestions for nice places to take her while we are in town? we watch the food network a fair bit and would love to get to some culinary raritys.
The Onyx is a short walk from the Garden. Nice of your gf to do this.

You can pick up the local subway (MBTA or T for short) at North Station, which is just outside the Garden.

http://mbta.com

I suggest taking the green line inbound 5 stops to the Arlington Street station. From there you can walk to some terrific restaurants like Davios' (expensive), Maggiano's (Family style Italian), Legal Seafood (consistently one of the best seafood restaurants in the area), McCormick & Schmick's (another seafood place at the Park Plaza), Smith and Wollensky's at the Castle (expensive steakhouse), or Todd English's Bonfire. Or you can cab it over from the Onyx, it wouldn't be that expensive.

If you feel like walking, you can get directions at your hotel for going to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall Marketplace. There is a McCormick and Schmick's there as well as a few Irish pubs on the way where you can quench your thirst (Bell in Hand, green Dragon, Purple Shamrock).

Or if you want good Italian, you won't be far from the North End. Saraceno's on Hanover is decent, and you can go next door to Cafe Vittorio's for dessert after your dinner.

http://www.2nite.com/saraceno/home.htm

If you are a big Bruins fans, make sure you check out the New England Sports Museum at the TD Banknorth Garden. They have tours during the daytime. It doesn't take long, but it's worth it just to see Armand LaMontagne's statue of Bobby Orr.

http://www.sportsmuseum.org/

I'll be happy to give you more tips if you can bring me some Tim Horton's coffee.

I hope someone else can help you with your Providence question. I think it's just a couple hours via Route 95 south if you rent a car. I haven't been to the "Dunkin Donuts Center" for a P-Bruins game.

Last edited by Katana: 01-31-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: additional information
Old
01-31-2007, 11:34 AM
slegr_71
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to slegr_71 Send a message via Yahoo to slegr_71
Quote:
How hard is it to get in a Providence game and then back to the big city?
Providence is about a 45 - 50 min. car ride from downtown Boston. If you have a rental car, it shouldn't be a problem. Parking is at the Convention Center garages. I believe it's $8 for an event night. 2nd row seats are $20, so it's not a pricey night. Driving directions are here.

If you don't have a rental and don't plan on hiring a car for the night, you'd need to take the commuter rail out of South Station - schedule is here. You can also click on the map on that page to see where the train station is in relation to Prov. Place Mall (which is on the DD Center map.)

Old
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Slightly off topic, but I trust HF'ers more than some baseball board or travel guide

Maybe you guys can help me out, I am coming to Boston in late May to take in a couple of Sox games at Fenway as part of my baseball tour.

I am just curious coming in from NYC by train, what is the closest train station to Fenway Park, and what is the best place to stay that is somewhat close to Fenway. And how about the bars near Fenway, what is the best place for a pre or post game drink.

And last but not least since I have a free day or two as well, what are some must see things in Boston or some good places to eat?

Thanks in advance.

Old
01-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Katana

red sox travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I am just curious coming in from NYC by train, what is the closest train station to Fenway Park, and what is the best place to stay that is somewhat close to Fenway. And how about the bars near Fenway, what is the best place for a pre or post game drink.
Closest Amtrak station is the Back Bay Station. Closest subway station is Kenmore on the green line.

Make hotel reservations now. Not kidding. Esp. if it is around memorial day weekend.

I have stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square. Very nice. Kinda pricey. The Hotel Buckminster is also in Kenmore Square; not as nice, not as expensive.

Check out deals on priceline.com....i got a great deal last summer by bidding on a room at the Sheraton on Dalton St., which is a short cab ride from Fenway.

There are alot of bars in the Landsdowne St. area to check out before a game....Game On is adjacent to the Park on the third base side and has good food. The Cask and Flagon has recently renovated and enlarged; the sidewalk and roof top tables are good for people watching.

The Baseball Tavern is in a new location at 1270 Boylston St.

http://ledger.southofboston.com/arti...ife/life02.txt

Boston Beer Works is across the street from the Park on Brookline Ave and has good beer, but is always MOBBED pre-game with people who aren't willing to explore the area.

Must see? Besides the bars? LOL.Go to the Prudential Center Mall and pick up the Duck Tour...that is a quick way to see alot of the city.

See my previous post for some restaurant recommendations. There is a Legal Seafood at the Prudential Center Mall too.

Last edited by Katana: 01-31-2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: additional info
Old
01-31-2007, 06:07 PM
phatmike

Quote:
Hey Folks..

Nobody around here gets baked beans at a restaurant. I'm not even sure there are many places that offer it as an option* and if they do it's likely from a can (or at least they spiced up some stuff from a can.) I love the stuff and make 'em from scratch FWIW. I am an odd ball, however. Nobody I know actually eats them...

For good local food my suggestion to you is to hit up a roast beef joint. Everyone'll say Kellys, but they arent what they once were. Good fried stuff, but their roast beef is subpar IMO, not to mention way overpriced. The best place to go in the area is a place called Mike's on rte 99 in everett. It isnt very T-accesable so unless you have a rental car, it'll be tough to get to. Get the Big Beef 3-way. 3-way means BBQ sauce, cheese and mayo. Dont go crazy and get the super or else it'll mess up the meat to bun to condiment ratio.

The wife says the Lobster rolls here are top notch, so why not make it a two-fer?

As for seafood - give Woodman's in Essex MA a shot (again, assuming you'll have a rental car.) They supposedly invented the fried clam. Regardless of the truth to that statement, this is absolutely the place to go to get fried clams and whatever else...the shanty and scenery in the area is worth the ~45min drive from Boston.

None of this is haute-cuisine, but damn good trashy, fatty, messy stuff

BTW, this is my first post here - long time lurker - but I'm such a roast beef AND baked beans fanatic that I had to come out of hiding.

* the baked bean exception would be the various BBQ joints. There are at least a few good options but Redbones in Davis Sq - right off the Red Line - would be the place to go. But then, that's not -boston- baked beans, but southern style. Still...some awesome BBQ if you're in the mood.

Old
02-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Adriatic

Hey people, I'll be in Boston for the Hab game in March and we're planning to go out after the game that saturday night. I been to Roxy's last time and I liked it..but I was wondering what's the best club to go to on a Saturday night. Right now we're looking at Roxy, Avalon, Aria..it's pretty much all I know in Boston. Any suggestions on what's the most happening place to party.

Old
02-02-2007, 12:44 PM
phatmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
Hey people, I'll be in Boston for the Hab game in March and we're planning to go out after the game that saturday night. I been to Roxy's last time and I liked it..but I was wondering what's the best club to go to on a Saturday night. Right now we're looking at Roxy, Avalon, Aria..it's pretty much all I know in Boston. Any suggestions on what's the most happening place to party.
the three are virtually the same in regards to crowd and music. the only difference is the size. avalon is certainly the biggest and has the best sound system in the area. all of them are pretty bridge and tunnel though, unfortunately -- such is the case for anything 'big' in boston. if you liked the roxy, go with avalon, it's at least a small step up.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:36 AM
fregolo2

Going to boston march 2nd

I'm going to Boston on the first week-end of march. I'm looking for a B&B for two nights (2 adults) that is near public transportation. Any suggestions?

Old
02-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Boston Bruno

Thanks for all your help everyone!

1 More question..

March 3rd, after the habs game, I want to catch the UFC. Anyone have a bar near TDBN which would have the UFC?

Old
02-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Katana

Quote:
Thanks for all your help everyone!

1 More question..

March 3rd, after the habs game, I want to catch the UFC. Anyone have a bar near TDBN which would have the UFC?
The Sports Grill Boston on Canal Street has a ton of TV all around the bar. I'm sure if you asked one of the bar tenders, they'd put it on.

Old
02-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregolo2 View Post
I'm going to Boston on the first week-end of march. I'm looking for a B&B for two nights (2 adults) that is near public transportation. Any suggestions?
You can check out this site. They have a listing of Boston B&B's, and many are walking distance to the T.

http://www.bostonbedandbreakfast.com/accomodations.htm

The Gryphon House is a two block walk to the Kenmore Square station on the Green line, which you can take to the Garden.

http://www.innboston.com/

Last edited by Katana: 02-05-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old
02-09-2007, 11:04 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyguy14 View Post
Suggestion to all those comming.

Eat at The Fours! It's right across the street from the Garden.

The Bobby Orr Steak and Cheese is to die for!
I was just going to say the same thing, except have the Buffalo fingers as the appetizer and try the Turkey tips, outstanding.

Avoid the swordfish, dry.

Old
02-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmike View Post
the three are virtually the same in regards to crowd and music. the only difference is the size. avalon is certainly the biggest and has the best sound system in the area. all of them are pretty bridge and tunnel though, unfortunately -- such is the case for anything 'big' in boston. if you liked the roxy, go with avalon, it's at least a small step up.
What do you mean pretty much 'bridge and tunnel' ??

Old
02-12-2007, 11:17 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
What do you mean pretty much 'bridge and tunnel' ??
Means outsiders (people from the outside suburbs), not real people who actually live in Boston.

Old
02-13-2007, 11:34 AM
bruinmann77

i am thinking about taking the wife to ray place in the north end
she loikes good italian food any other suggestions

Old
02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
craigavsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentpittman View Post

just wondering if the opposing team practices there in the morning because i wanted to try and get a few autographs.

If anyone can help it would be great.

Yeah I wanted to ask the same thing about a March 6th game when Colorado comes to boston! and I couldnt find a sticky about that? I just really want to meet Joe Sakic before he retires, can anyone help? =(((

Old
02-14-2007, 01:36 PM
coast2coast

took your recommendation, good food & atmosphere was great. Since you seem to know what you are talking about I have a few other ?'s.

I am looking for a good youth Hockey Camp for my boys (age 8 & 10) any thoughts? I heard B.U. runs a good camp? Do any of the Bruins stay in town and help with camps?

Old
02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Theres Sullivans Tap which is a GREAT place to go before the game. The fours is near there as well.. it was rated the best sports bar in the country

Old
02-14-2007, 07:08 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdagloves24 View Post
Theres Sullivans Tap which is a GREAT place to go before the game. The fours is near there as well.. it was rated the best sports bar in the country
2 dollar 16 ounce Brubakers -aka the heineken for the homless.

Closed Thread