HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Team Toughness II

Old
01-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Utterly debatable. However what is not debatable is that Carcillo has been effective. And what he brings to the table warrants a spot in the line up.
Whats debatable is if the team toughness is such a need that you're willing to jettison your best PK'er from the lineup to accomodate 2 guys that are very similar players.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
However what is not debatable is that Carcillo has been effective. And what he brings to the table warrants a spot in the line up.
Nope. That is absolutely debatable.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

vCash: 130
I would love have both Carcillo and Dorsett in the lineup, but I don't see Carcillo pushing D. Moore out of the lineup; D. Moore has played very well in his roll, and there's no chance of Boyle being pushed out of the lineup by Carcillo. So, idk...

Keep Carcillo as the extra forward and rotate him and D.Moore depending on the opponent.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:20 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Regardless of what we all think should or should not happen I guarentee, barring injury, only one of Dorsett/Carcillo will play.

Could that change if the team goes on a skid and AV wants to mix things up? Of course. But to start, they will not both play. I just don't see AV doing that.

01-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Kreider has taken WAY more dumb penalties than Dorsett or Carcillo have....combined.

I'd trade Boyle for Dorsett in this lineup any day of the week. our speed quotient will go up big time. I am worried about what we lose in faceoffs though.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Kreider has taken WAY more dumb penalties than Dorsett or Carcillo have....combined.
Not only is that irrelevant (what, do you want to sit Kreider for Dorsett?), it's meaningless as well. Dorsett and Carcillo have played the same amount of games as Kreider.... combined.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:43 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I guess we should discount a career of being an idiot vs. his 5 games as a Ranger.
do you make it a point to complain about what a player has done for other teams over complimenting him over what he has done for your own team?

who gives a flying **** what he did while in Philly?

He smartened up in Chicago and seemed to have continued that smart play in LA and has further continued that here in NY.

But the way you are going about it, you want to convict the guy not before you have enough evidence, but before he actually commits a crime.

He's come in here and has done what alot of folks didn't expect. He's played damn good hockey for the role being asked.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Raspewtin
Kreidizzle

Kings fans really weren't thrilled to give up Carcillo for nothing. They thought he was pretty good on the 4th line.

Thank you boys
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
do you make it a point to complain about what a player has done for other teams over complimenting him over what he has done for your own team?

who gives a flying **** what he did while in Philly?

He smartened up in Chicago and seemed to have continued that smart play in LA and has further continued that here in NY.

But the way you are going about it, you want to convict the guy not before you have enough evidence, but before he actually commits a crime.

He's come in here and has done what alot of folks didn't expect. He's played damn good hockey for the role being asked.
He was also in the press box a ton of the time in Chicago and LA -- something I expect to have happen here also.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Whats debatable is if the team toughness is such a need that you're willing to jettison your best PK'er from the lineup to accomodate 2 guys that are very similar players.
Yes, addressing team toughness and mindset is more important my view than having both Moore and Boyle in the lineup.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:50 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Dominic Moore and Brian Boyle have a close faceoff win total percentage, but Brian Boyle has taken 115 short-handed while Moore has only taken 42.

Boyle is the better PK guy, and AV would probably agree. Like it or not if one of them sit for Dorsett it is probably Moore.

Trade Moore instead.
doubt it.

AV plays an up tempo game, we are seeing the team trying to push the pace nightly and Boyle doesn't fit that agenda.

He's slow and we all know it. You watch the Rangers play and he's so out of place with what the Rangers are trying to do nightly.

Can barely keep pace with his linemates and when he gets to where he needs to be, it's to late.

Rangers need a player that can actualy get in on the forecheck and then be quick enough to make a difference on the back check. Boyle is not the guy for that kind of game.

He's a servicable player, has some nice attributes, but overall, not worth retaining.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:51 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Keep Carcillo as the extra forward and rotate him and D.Moore depending on the opponent.
I never liked this argument. Who cares about the opponent? Play the effective player. If the other team sends out players, those players can be checked and those players have skins that can be gotten under. This is for all opponents.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
I never liked this argument. Who cares about the opponent? Play the effective player.
Agreed. Play Moore.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
doubt it.

AV plays an up tempo game, we are seeing the team trying to push the pace nightly and Boyle doesn't fit that agenda.

He's slow and we all know it. You watch the Rangers play and he's so out of place with what the Rangers are trying to do nightly.

Can barely keep pace with his linemates and when he gets to where he needs to be, it's to late.

Rangers need a player that can actualy get in on the forecheck and then be quick enough to make a difference on the back check. Boyle is not the guy for that kind of game.

He's a servicable player, has some nice attributes, but overall, not worth retaining.
Exactly...he's gone in the offseason....for sure.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Yes, addressing team toughness and mindset is more important my view than having both Moore and Boyle in the lineup.
OK, great.

I dont think the folks who run the Rangers will agree with you, but we'll see.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:54 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
He was also in the press box a ton of the time in Chicago and LA -- something I expect to have happen here also.
To be fair, LA fans thought he was better than Nolan, Clifford and Lewis when he played. He just never got a fair shake and was traded for practically nothing.

Prust was traded multiple times before landing with the Rangers too. Obviously different players but just because another player is under-utilized or valued doesn't necessarily mean he can't thrive somewhere else.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

Quote:
I never liked this argument. Who cares about the opponent? Play the effective player. If the other team sends out players, those players can be checked and those players have skins that can be gotten under. This is for all opponents.
It's a compromise, because the effective player would probably be Moore. I don't see anyone with a better idea. I would love to see Carcillo and Dorsett both in, but I just don't see how it works. Unless D.Moore's play falls off a sudden cliff.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:57 AM
True Blue

Quote:
OK, great.

I dont think the folks who run the Rangers will agree with you, but we'll see.
Folks who run the Rangers have shown very poor judgment. Any side of the argument will agree to that.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
pld459666

Quote:
not if he continues to play the way he's been playing.

He's not moving up the depth chart any time soon, but he continues to put in the effort he has been putting in here in NY and AV would be stupid to sit him.

AV is looking to push the pace and tempo of the game.

I get that Boyle is very good on draws and is a good PK'er (teams best is a stretch I think as i would take Callahan, Hagelin and Stepan over him quite easily)

Old
01-21-2014, 11:59 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
It's a compromise, because the effective player would probably be Moore. I don't see anyone with a better idea.
The more effective Rangers team has a 4th line that has Dorsett and Carcillo on wings and one of Moore or Boyle. If Moore is the one, fine. If it is Boyle, also fine. Both are not necessary for the Rangers to be better and more effective as a team.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

Quote:
The more effective Rangers team has a 4th line that has Dorsett and Carcillo on wings and one of Moore or Boyle. If Moore is the one, fine. If it is Boyle, also fine. Both are not necessary for the Rangers to be better and more effective as a team.
Boyle is. I don't know, I'm split. I'm like 55/45 in favor of D.Moore > Carcillo. When is Dorsett expected back?

Old
01-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
The more effective Rangers team has a 4th line that has Dorsett and Carcillo on wings and one of Moore or Boyle.
That sounds an awful lot like your opinion, but it's stated as a fact, so I'm confused.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:29 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
That sounds an awful lot like your opinion, but it's stated as a fact, so I'm confused.
There is absolutely nothing to be confused about. I think that the statement lacks any obfuscation.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing to be confused about. I think that the statement lacks any obfuscation.
You don't know if that's true though. The Rangers might be in a position that having an extra center in the lineup is needed.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
doubt it.

Yet he continues to play him more than the other 3. Okay.

Boyle has 200 more minutes of ice time than Moore who has more than Dorsett.

Pls