HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Pronman: Top 50 drafted prospects not playing in the NHL right now

Old
01-21-2014, 12:27 AM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
Got two questions for you Corey...

Has William Karlsson's skating improved or is it still below average? What is his biggest weakness?

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 06:51 PM
mynameistickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
What's wrong with Rakell? He has great hands, passing, and shot, and he's a high-end defensive player on top of that.
I have no problems with Rakell at all. I actually really like him as a prospect. Loved his showing at the World Juniors two years in a row. I don't get a chance to see much OHL hockey in the states but I heard he was a very important player for Plymouth. I see he's transitioned well to the pro game too, with already 11 NHL games under his belt and very respectable AHL totals, he's clearly on the path to NHL success.

My question is, why is Rakell ranked so high, meaning why is he ranked about Mantha/Petan ect. I was not attempting to say he should be ranked lower, I was just surprised he was ranked above a few younger players who may have a higher ceiling, but aren't turned pro yet. Was it because of proximity to NHL or does Rakell really have better tools/ability than Mantha/Petan?

Also, I figure William Karlsson may be seen by some as the better prospect to Rakell. Where are Etem and Kerdiles ranked organizationally for the Ducks?

mynameistickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:23 PM
oNLy1cube

Hey Corey, big fan and a 3 year subscriber (hockey prospectus) keep up the awesome work!

I want to go a bit off the radar and get your opinion on a few players half way into there respective seasons, I know you've given your points on some of these guys but I was hoping for something a bit more up to date. Tim Erixon, Alexey Marchenko, Dylan Mcllrath, Sergey Tolchinsky

oNLy1cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I doubt you could find anyone who watches more prospects than this guy. Even pro NHL scouts. He watches a variety too.

Great follow on twitter
Yeah, he's just being one of those traditionalist tough guys who's under the impression that believing in advanced stats means you don't watch hockey.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Pronman View Post
As always I'll take any questions.
First of all, while I may disagree with some of your opinions, I appreciate that you're answering questions. I'll refrain from asking anything about the top 50 prospects since I respect that the content is behind a paywall. I do however have a few rather specific questions regarding your thoughts on a few Oilers prospects.

Mitchell Moroz: When the Oilers drafted him, I absolutely hated it, I thought it was a reach and he just struck me as having no hockey IQ whatsoever when I watched him with the Oil Kings. But he seems to have done a 180 degree turn. Do you think it's because of experience or because his hockey sense and decision making has actually improved? Do you think he has any top 6 potential in the NHL?

Jujhar Khaira: Size, strength, hockey sense, defensive responsibility, shot, hands, playmaking, he has everything you could ever wish for in a top 9 forward... except footspeed. How much do you think his skating struggles will impede his transition to the pro game? What do you think is his realistic NHL projection?

Greg Chase: Every time the Hitmen come to town, I try to look for holes in his game but can't find any. He seems to have the kind of skillset that translates easily to the pro game. Why do you think he fell so far?

Curtis Hamilton/David Musil: Is there still any hope for these two prospects?

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:09 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistickle View Post
Also, I figure William Karlsson may be seen by some as the better prospect to Rakell. Where are Etem and Kerdiles ranked organizationally for the Ducks?
I don't know why that would be. Karlsson may reach that point, but I think that if he does surpass Rakell, it won't happen till he makes the transition to the smaller ice surface. I haven't really seen anything out of Karlsson that would make me put him over Rakell, just yet. They seem pretty close. I'd put Rakell ahead of Etem. I think that he has the higher potential. I could see Kerdiles overtake Rakell, but that is largely theoretical at this point.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Corey Pronman

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabob View Post
Corey, what do you see in Mike Matheson? And what were the reason he's just out of your top 50?

Thank you.
Great skater/offensive skill, but he's not an all-around guy at the moment. Defensive awareness is just ok, and when I've seen him live he just tends to lose a lot of 1 on 1 battles even with the effort is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
Corey couple questions on the Oilers prospects, have my own opinions but interested in yours. Do you think Nurse or Klefbom will be NHL ready for next season if so/not who will be ready first? Would Nurse's development be better served with another year in junior? or learning on the fly on the big team?

A little worried as a Oiler fan that they could potentially have to many rookie D-man ready to take the next step at the same time.
Nurse has a better chance given Klefbom's iffy (although he's been better lately)season. I prefer patience with D. I don't want them in as a U20 Junior unless they're in the top four. Iffy if Nurse will be that although not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Got two questions for you Corey...

Has William Karlsson's skating improved or is it still below average? What is his biggest weakness?
Skating and strength have been his holes last few seasons. He's quicker but don't think he's ever going to be that great in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistickle View Post
My question is, why is Rakell ranked so high, meaning why is he ranked about Mantha/Petan ect. I was not attempting to say he should be ranked lower, I was just surprised he was ranked above a few younger players who may have a higher ceiling, but aren't turned pro yet. Was it because of proximity to NHL or does Rakell really have better tools/ability than Mantha/Petan?

Seen him live several times this year (on top of many other views) and he's looked really, really good. Skill level shining through at the pro level with two-way contributions. Roughly same level tools and the proximity/proving it against pros.

Etem ineligible due to games played. Kerdiles a notch below RR and WK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oNLy1cube View Post
I want to go a bit off the radar and get your opinion on a few players half way into there respective seasons, I know you've given your points on some of these guys but I was hoping for something a bit more up to date. Tim Erixon, Alexey Marchenko, Dylan Mcllrath, Sergey Tolchinsky
Haven't seen Erixon this year.

Marchenko's been a great two-way guy in the AHL, and pretty much everything you hoped he'd be if healthy when he was overseas. Not flashy, but mobile puck-mover with size who can make stops.

McIlrath's skating and puck skills are better but his O will never be a strength. Been solid defensively to go with the great physical game.

Love Tolchinsky.... dynamic skater and puck handler who has used his team mates well. Size and D are concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Mitchell Moroz: When the Oilers drafted him, I absolutely hated it, I thought it was a reach and he just struck me as having no hockey IQ whatsoever when I watched him with the Oil Kings. But he seems to have done a 180 degree turn. Do you think it's because of experience or because his hockey sense and decision making has actually improved? Do you think he has any top 6 potential in the NHL?

Jujhar Khaira: Size, strength, hockey sense, defensive responsibility, shot, hands, playmaking, he has everything you could ever wish for in a top 9 forward... except footspeed. How much do you think his skating struggles will impede his transition to the pro game? What do you think is his realistic NHL projection?

Greg Chase: Every time the Hitmen come to town, I try to look for holes in his game but can't find any. He seems to have the kind of skillset that translates easily to the pro game. Why do you think he fell so far?

Curtis Hamilton/David Musil: Is there still any hope for these two prospects?

Not a Moroz fan but think you can make a 4th liner out of what he has. Not sure he's exceptional enough defensively given his offensive capabilities.

Think if JK becomes a 3rd line W or C you call it a win.

Ya really like Chase, has elevated his game this year. Skating's always been his hole and while I think he's improved there his strength is clearly in his offensive instincts/vision.

CH probably not DM ya for sure.

Corey Pronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
oNLy1cube

Awesome, thx Corey

oNLy1cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 08:14 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Huge fan of your work Corey, honestly one of the reasons I have kept my insider. For those haggling over it, only a couple bucks a month and Pronman, Lebrun and Custance bring a lot to the table. I know people bag on ESPN's coverage of hockey but seriously their insiders do some nice work.

Anyway, was curious if you see Ouellet, Sproul and Marchenko ever getting close to this list? They all play different kind of games, but have made impressive transitions on a lethal Grand Rapids Griffins team. I have always liked Ouellet's trust worthy game hoping he can become a Vlasic type, I know that is a high ceiling, but curious what your expectations are for this group? With Backman arriving from overseas next year the future looks bright on the blue-line. See any of them taking a step towards elite soon, any of them have top pairing upside, concerned about Sproul's D but curious what you and your scouting contacts see and feel about this group? Also does this spell doom for a favorite undersized puck possession guy in Almqvist in terms of how the team moves forward? Guess I would be curious to see where you are slotting these guys in terms of their development and ceilings?

As always thanks for doing this and keep up the excellent work.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 10:00 PM
K19*

Hey Corey, big fan of your insight, subscriber for the past 3 years.

One question: what are your thoughts on Jacob Markstrom?

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 08:19 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Where is Jake McCabe? The University of Wisconsin defesemen seems to always be overlooked. He was the best defensemen at the 2013 WJC and he's been playing well all year. I guess six Sabres in the top 50 would have been too many.

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Anchor Town

Would love an explanation for Jarnkrok over Jurco at this point. Jurco is way ahead of him in development, has a higher ceiling, and is over a year younger. Jarnkrok is undersized and is struggling in the AHL, even with increased ice time due to call ups from all of Detroit's injuries. He's earned Babcock's trust in ket defensive situations. Just completely baffling for someone who supposedly puts a lot of time and effort into this list.

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Town View Post
Would love an explanation for Jarnkrok over Jurco at this point. Jurco is way ahead of him in development, has a higher ceiling, and is over a year younger. Jarnkrok is undersized and is struggling in the AHL, even with increased ice time due to call ups from all of Detroit's injuries. He's earned Babcock's trust in ket defensive situations. Just completely baffling for someone who supposedly puts a lot of time and effort into this list.
His (Jurco's) defense is a lot better than Pronman is making it out to be, he's played very well and is trending upward... I dunno, sometimes people have different opinions.

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 10:35 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
He uses him in overtime or four on four, but he still gets pulled off ice late in games. Tonight he put Alfie on with Sheahan and Tatar late. I think he can become above average though defensively, just because he skates and backchecks so well along with being good on the boards to get pucks out. However he does show a certain ineptitude at lane assignments and things like that. Still a heck of a player and I am excited, his physicality continues to surprise as he seems to be getting nastier by the game in this recent callup.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 02:20 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Mantha?

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOutlaw View Post
Mantha?
He's ranked 25th, though it makes my head scratch how a certain number of players are ahead of him.

Birko19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Corey Pronman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Huge fan of your work Corey, honestly one of the reasons I have kept my insider. For those haggling over it, only a couple bucks a month and Pronman, Lebrun and Custance bring a lot to the table. I know people bag on ESPN's coverage of hockey but seriously their insiders do some nice work.

Anyway, was curious if you see Ouellet, Sproul and Marchenko ever getting close to this list? They all play different kind of games, but have made impressive transitions on a lethal Grand Rapids Griffins team. I have always liked Ouellet's trust worthy game hoping he can become a Vlasic type, I know that is a high ceiling, but curious what your expectations are for this group? With Backman arriving from overseas next year the future looks bright on the blue-line. See any of them taking a step towards elite soon, any of them have top pairing upside, concerned about Sproul's D but curious what you and your scouting contacts see and feel about this group? Also does this spell doom for a favorite undersized puck possession guy in Almqvist in terms of how the team moves forward? Guess I would be curious to see where you are slotting these guys in terms of their development and ceilings?

As always thanks for doing this and keep up the excellent work.
I had Ouellet in the top 100 in the summer, and while he hasn't been great offensively, I think highly of the player still. He didn't get close, but he wasn't too far away. March & Sproul both above-average guys, but probably not high-end prospects. March is just good at everything/not great and Sproul's own-end play still concerns me even w the dynamic tool kit. Alm has played well when I've watched but ya not sure where he fits in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
Hey Corey, big fan of your insight, subscriber for the past 3 years.

One question: what are your thoughts on Jacob Markstrom?
Bearish... which shouldn't be much of a surprise given how his development has gone. Huge guy with good athletic skills but he hasn't seemed to work out the finer details in his game to succeed at the top level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88 View Post
Where is Jake McCabe? The University of Wisconsin defesemen seems to always be overlooked. He was the best defensemen at the 2013 WJC and he's been playing well all year. I guess six Sabres in the top 50 would have been too many.
Answered this earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Touched on this kind of in the column. Jarnkrok was one of if not the toughest rank to make in the top 50. It was me balancing the hearsay from scouts and viewings re: his potential, and his underwhelming production. There's as legitimate an argument to get him off the list as there is for him to be in the top 25. I'm closely watching him during this second half.

I disagree on the higher ceiling.

Corey Pronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 07:47 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Sam Morin didn't crack the list did he? What's the deal with him? I hardly ever see him ranked high but every time I've seen him play I see a ridiculously high ceiling with great skating and toughness.

PricerStopDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:25 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Hey Corey,

Would appreciate your thoughts on the development of Griffin Reinhart from his draft year and how NHL ready you think he'll be by next season. Specifically, how much has his skating/mobility improved and the parts of his game that he will need to focus on going forward.

Plus, your thoughts on Ryan Pulock's development would also be appreciated. I understand that he will have finished 4 years in the WHL and that he should be eligible to start his professional career next season in the AHL/NHL. Also, how good is his shot? Is it a potential elite shot at the NHL level?

-PW

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 06:20 PM
nanzenkills

Corey, I appreciate your responses to my earlier questions. Just one more: I've heard great things about Evgeny Kuznetsov in the past, but everything that I'm hearing about him lately is that his development has stagnated or even regressed in the KHL. Clearly, you're not too concerned about this if you have him at #2 overall, but are you willing to explain why that is exactly?

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 08:58 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Lol @ Buchenvich at 26. And I'm a Rangers fan.
As an Islander's fan, I was very jealous when you guys landed Buchnevich and the Isle's picked a college backup goalie instead. IF you watched the World Junior Championships, Buchnevich was excellent. I don't think #26 is too high. Plus he's 6th on his team in scoring, yet he's only 18 years old. The top 5 scorers average age is 26 years old. He's a helluva prospect. As long as he doesn't pull a Kirill Petrov or Kuznetsov (both keep resigning with their Russian teams and won't come to the NHL), you've got an excellent steal on your hands.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 06:40 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
As long as he doesn't pull a Kirill Petrov or Kuznetsov (both keep resigning with their Russian teams and won't come to the NHL), you've got an excellent steal on your hands.
ohh... so you're telling us Kuznetsov resigned with Traktor and will never be a Capital despite all the rumours eh?

Last edited by helicecopter: 01-29-2014 at 07:45 AM.
helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 901
Thanks for taking time to answer questions Corey. I see Adam Clendening is just outside of your top 50. He seems to have adjusted terrifically to the AHL in terms of a puck mover that can control the PP and play against top matchups. The one thing I keep seeing is that he needs work in his own end and that he would likely be in the NHL already if he wasn't a Hawk prospect as their blueline is so solid. Does the ability to make a certain team factor into his lower ranking? We have seen Stanton move on and do well as well as a few other guys from there. Do you see him as being a guy that gets a lot of attention from other GMs? He seems like he will have a good NHL career ahead if him. Thanks.

Last edited by Seedling: 03-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:11 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

As a WHL guy, there is not a chance in hell Griffin Reinhart is a better player than Josh Morrissey. It's not even ****in close.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoutgunsout View Post
As a WHL guy, there is not a chance in hell Griffin Reinhart is a better player than Josh Morrissey. It's not even ****in close.
Depends what you value. I can see a case for either.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote