HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2013, 01:13 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
I haven't actually looked at the ice time comparisons, but other than at the start of the game, it seemed like Richards was putting the Arty line out against Crosby rather than the Joey line. It was just an impression last night, I have no data to back up this idea.
I admit I didn't pay that close of attention; but I do remember Johansen losing faceoffs to Crosby with regularity - even in the third. Some of that might have been special teams.

I doubt you are correct as AA only had 10 minutes of ES time as opposed to Johansen at 15 minutes. DM and Letestu had more ES time than AA, if only marginally. It looked like Johansen's line and the rest were rolled out somewhat evenly.

Also, Johansen (and Foligno and RJ) was on the ice for both of the Pens ES goals.

Old
12-30-2013, 04:27 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Looking at this: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...4/FC020587.HTM

Looks like Richards might not have been line matching at all. Everybody had their shot against Crosby.
Joey took 13 faceoffs versus Crosby, Arty 11.

I'm not going to go through these to make the actual TOI comparison. Someone else can if they want to.

CBJ
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...4/TH020587.HTM

Pens
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...4/TV020587.HTM

Last edited by cbjgirl: 12-30-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old
01-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Vancity22

Have you ever watched him play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I think at worst he'll be Martin Hanzal, and at best David Backes.
First of all Martin Hanzal and David backes are not similar to Ryan in anyway shape or form... Have you ever watched Ryan play? David backes is almost too physical, Ryan has maybe thrown 1 hit in his career and you think he is going to form into a David backes? What?! And Hanzal?! Hanzal can barely skate and is completely irreverent on the ice... If we're going to compare him to any player it would be Joe Thornton. Both good vision and size. But for Ryan he's not going to ever score a 100 point season, but it doesn't matter because he's the type of player that wins you games. He shuts down top players and still contributes offensively. That's hard to find... So dont compare him to players like backes and hanzal.

Old
01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
major major

Safe to say I've been surprised by Johansen offence this year. That said, where do I start with your jerkpost? It has so many problems with it I honestly don't know where to start. Just for my own pleasure I'll give it a good old fashion Fisking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity22 View Post
First of all Martin Hanzal and David backes are not similar to Ryan in anyway shape or form... Have you ever watched Ryan play?

Says the non-Jackets fan to the Jackets fan who watches him every game.

David backes is almost too physical, Ryan has maybe thrown 1 hit in his career and you think he is going to form into a David backes?

I wasn't making a total stylistic comparison, I was thinking of two-way play, not physicality. That said, Johansen hits way more than that lilly Thornton does.

What?! And Hanzal?! Hanzal can barely skate and is completely irreverent on the ice...

No, irreverent is Bill Murray. I think the word you are looking for is irrelevant, although that doesn't apply to Hanzal either. Hanzal is the only center I can think of who is on Backes' level in both shutdown ability and hitting stats. They also have similar offence.

If we're going to compare him to any player it would be Joe Thornton. Both good vision and size. But for Ryan he's not going to ever score a 100 point season, but it doesn't matter because he's the type of player that wins you games. He shuts down top players

Like Thornton.

and still contributes offensively. That's hard to find... So dont compare him to players like backes and hanzal.

Oh right, because Backes and Hanzal don't shut down players? They shut down better than Thornton, and are producing at the same first-line rate as Johansen. You have know idea what you're talking about.

Old
01-09-2014, 03:12 PM
stevo61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity22 View Post
First of all Martin Hanzal and David backes are not similar to Ryan in anyway shape or form... Have you ever watched Ryan play? David backes is almost too physical, Ryan has maybe thrown 1 hit in his career and you think he is going to form into a David backes? What?! And Hanzal?! Hanzal can barely skate and is completely irreverent on the ice... If we're going to compare him to any player it would be Joe Thornton. Both good vision and size. But for Ryan he's not going to ever score a 100 point season, but it doesn't matter because he's the type of player that wins you games. He shuts down top players and still contributes offensively. That's hard to find... So dont compare him to players like backes and hanzal.
Hanzal... that guy that plays 19 minutes a game, 30 points in 39 games and has a lot of defensive responsibilities?

Old
01-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Safe to say I've been surprised by Johansen offence this year. That said, where do I start with your jerkpost? It has so many problems with it I honestly don't know where to start. Just for my own pleasure I'll give it a good old fashion Fisking.
Ill even go on the record as to saying he doesnt and its not even close, resemble Backes or Hanzal. There's almost nothing he does that's like either of those two. He's not as physical and he's definitely, without a doubt, more skilled.

Old
01-10-2014, 04:33 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I'd say Joey is most comparable with Kopitar. Big, smart, skilled and defensively sound. IMHO he can play at that sort of level in the near future.

Old
01-11-2014, 12:06 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Ill even go on the record as to saying he doesnt and its not even close, resemble Backes or Hanzal. There's almost nothing he does that's like either of those two. He's not as physical and he's definitely, without a doubt, more skilled.
I agree he's less physical and more skilled, I wasn't making a full stylistic comparison. But almost nothing like them? Johansen, Backes, and Hanzal are effective defensively in part because they outmuscle guys. Oh and they're all scoring roughly 30 points in 40 games. For something I said months ago, that's oddly similar.

Old
01-18-2014, 10:46 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I'd say Joey is most comparable with Kopitar. Big, smart, skilled and defensively sound. IMHO he can play at that sort of level in the near future.
I think that's the best comparison.

Old
01-18-2014, 05:03 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

A comparison to Kopitar..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think that's the best comparison.
Im not that good at making player comparisons, but I know when someone is doing well, and I can actually see comparables to Anze Kopitar.

Wicked shoot out goal last night.

Last edited by LetsGOJackets!!: 01-19-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old
01-21-2014, 07:24 AM
bluejacketsfanwpsl

He also compares favorably to Jaromir Balastik!

With his new shoot out approach, he's awesome! That appraoch with a bankhand to Lunquist and a forehand to Miller....good night!

...except that is ALL Balastik could do!

Old
01-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejacketsfanwpsl View Post
He also compares favorably to Jaromir Balastik!

With his new shoot out approach, he's awesome! That appraoch with a bankhand to Lunquist and a forehand to Miller....good night!

...except that is ALL Balastik could do!
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470185

Old
01-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Wow, he's older than I thought he was. I guess that was a while ago? Time flies.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:54 AM
jacketsfan

Johansen is a rock. His game has gotten better with Horton back.

Old
01-21-2014, 08:59 PM
anteater90

Another Goal and the Beast Grows!!!!

Old
01-21-2014, 09:01 PM
CaliBuck
Mission: Playoffs

We are witnessing the growth of this kid as we speak. You can really see it as of late. We are all witnesses!

Old
01-21-2014, 09:15 PM
major major

13 points in his first 23 games, 24 points in his last 26 games.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Scott Cullen Blurbs on Joey

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441820

Title of the article: What I Didn't Expect in 2013-14 NHL Season...

Quote:
...this kind of breakout from Blue Jackets C Ryan Johansen. Oh, it was always a possibility, because he's a fourth overall pick that has shown flashes, but he struggled last year and was a healthy scratch in the AHL playoffs, so I did not foresee his sudden emergence as a bona fide No. 1 centre.
That's right folks, bona fide ...

Old
01-21-2014, 09:33 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441820

Title of the article: What I Didn't Expect in 2013-14 NHL Season...

That's right folks, bona fide ...

I wish we had Popeye's up in Quebec.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASPHEMOUS View Post
I wish we had Popeye's up in Quebec.
No Popeye's here either ... I make business trips to Portland or Seattle from time to time, and I'm sure I look well out of place wearing business clothes in the worst parts of town, to get my fill.

We're lobbying for one ... we even have a Facebook page

Old
01-22-2014, 04:24 PM
thebus2288

I really wasn't sure what to think at the end of last year after his time in the 'A'. I really expected those guys to make a deep run. Over the summer I thought they should've looked into moving him, but not to sell low. Glad I was wrong. It looks now that the Larsen benching was the best thing that could've happened. What so many young "high profile/potential" players fail to do is actually use the criticism against them to their advantage. As Bluejacket fans we don't have to look to hard or that far back.

It seems that while he was bothered by some of the things being said about him or TO him, he actually listened, and took things to heart. Idk if it was a video interview or print but I remember hearing/reading him say something along the lines about being tired of hearing he had more to offer, having another level. Instead of getting mad and pouting, its looks like he made the decision to use it to his advantage and prove to people and possibly to himself what he can do on a consistent basis.

1 more thing I wanna add. Most of you guys have been all about his 2-way game. Yes he is good defensively, and true #1 centers in the NHL need to be strong in both. But 1 thing we don't talk much about is his 2-way OFFENSIVE game. Offensively most players are either pass 1st, shoot 1st, or a watered down combo of the 2. Johansen is a unique combo of a player with both great passing awareness and ability along with what I think is his best quality, his shot. Really, if you think about it, not many players in the league can both pass and shoot on the same level as Ryan. Add in the quick, soft hands in close and you've got a dangerous offensive player.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsfan View Post
Johansen is a rock. His game has gotten better with Horton back.
Or Horton is watching Joey...

If he continues his pace of scoring, defense, and excellent health day in and day out he could end up being one the great centers in the NHL... Gotta give Howson the credit for drafting him..

Old
01-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
I really wasn't sure what to think at the end of last year after his time in the 'A'. I really expected those guys to make a deep run. Over the summer I thought they should've looked into moving him, but not to sell low. Glad I was wrong. It looks now that the Larsen benching was the best thing that could've happened. What so many young "high profile/potential" players fail to do is actually use the criticism against them to their advantage. As Bluejacket fans we don't have to look to hard or that far back.

It seems that while he was bothered by some of the things being said about him or TO him, he actually listened, and took things to heart. Idk if it was a video interview or print but I remember hearing/reading him say something along the lines about being tired of hearing he had more to offer, having another level. Instead of getting mad and pouting, its looks like he made the decision to use it to his advantage and prove to people and possibly to himself what he can do on a consistent basis.

1 more thing I wanna add. Most of you guys have been all about his 2-way game. Yes he is good defensively, and true #1 centers in the NHL need to be strong in both. But 1 thing we don't talk much about is his 2-way OFFENSIVE game. Offensively most players are either pass 1st, shoot 1st, or a watered down combo of the 2. Johansen is a unique combo of a player with both great passing awareness and ability along with what I think is his best quality, his shot. Really, if you think about it, not many players in the league can both pass and shoot on the same level as Ryan. Add in the quick, soft hands in close and you've got a dangerous offensive player.
That's a first line center defined. Most teams have a guy or two like that. But very few of those guys are 21 years old.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:35 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
That's a first line center defined. Most teams have a guy or two like that. But very few of those guys are 21 years old.
Yeah, Johansen is really good, but he looks better to us than he probably is, because of our complete lack of players like him.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:39 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I think this underestimates Johansen, by a lot.

Closed Thread