HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2014, 09:41 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
RNH: This isn't how it works on Xbox.

Joensuu: This makes me miss Long Island.

Gordon; Whats this tool behind me doing?

Hendricks; ****, whats his deal? What did you do to deserve being here?

Bucky: Heres a white towel if you wanna throw it in the ring..

Ref: Sieg Heil!

LOL...

My bet is that Gordon and Hendricks are discussing some sort of escape plan to the Swiss league this summer.

Eakins... well I think he's finally driven himself ****ing insane from all the bs rationalizations that flow through him after every loss... eventually that stuff rots the brain and you end up looking like THAT.

If we start seeing him come to practices with a stingray stapled to his back or a lemon tied to each skate... we'll know it's time for a coaching change... if they won't fire him... insanity is his only escape.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
He was mocking a Jets player (Trouba?) for diving.
Unfortunately he's mocking himself.

Old
01-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
So we keep Eakins for at least two years? Was that the plan? And we're sticking to it?
Hypothetical, no chance but what if we lose every game here out? Then we'd have to fire him surely. But that won't happen...
What if he leads us to dead last? Got to at least consider it. Well friends we are nearly at the bottom, to me if you hit 30th in the NHL after 50 games you have to consider a coaching change, simple as that.
There has to be a line drawn. Firings happen cause they have to, not because you plan for them. Fire Eakins today.
exactly. they can't keep him just because they don't like the idea. If he is an abject failure, he makes the decisions for them.

that said, it is so difficult to evaluate him with this AHL D-corp.

Old
01-21-2014, 07:26 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
He strikes me as a guy that will live and die by his system. Rather than adapt it to the players he has, he'd rather go and get the players that will fit it.

Case 1: I noticed that his system is geared to block passing lanes, and try to force turnovers.

What the other teams were doing to get around that is to force pucks on net. This means you need a goalie who has excellent rebound control.
Dubnyk doesn't.
Any goalie the Oilers bring in, could be much worse than any we've had, but if they have good rebound control they'll look much better in our system.

Secondly, to me, hockey is a real simple game in that, whichever teams wins the races to the puck, and puck battles will win the hockey game.

Eakins system doesn't use our team speed effectively. He wants to slow it down, and force puck battles, win them and then breakout.

What he should be doing is have our team win the races to the puck, so the battles are limited.

Also hurting us, is special teams, but not by a lot. Last year we had great special teams. If we were the same % on PP and PK as we were last year, we'd have only about 5 more goals for, and 5 against, which would probably mean 5 more wins than we currently have, but nothing crazy.
hmmm. pretty insightful analysis

Old
01-22-2014, 12:40 AM
hallsyoilerforever

Paul Maurice has won 4 out of his first 4 games with the Jets.

Dallas Eakins has won 4 out of his last 14 games with the Oilers.

Old
01-22-2014, 12:42 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
exactly. they can't keep him just because they don't like the idea. If he is an abject failure, he makes the decisions for them.

that said, it is so difficult to evaluate him with this AHL D-corp.
Was our D corp better the last 4 years?

Old
01-22-2014, 12:51 AM
Paralyzer008

I think Eakins is getting it more and more

Depending on our roster next year, I'm totally comfortable with him being coach, at least for the sake of giving the players some consistency.

He seems smart, says a lot of the right things at press conferences. It's a matter of that roster not being horrible, especially that D.

Old
01-22-2014, 01:46 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Paul Maurice has won 4 out of his first 4 games with the Jets.

Dallas Eakins has won 4 out of his last 14 games with the Oilers.
Shows what can happen when you fire a coach that's in over his head and replace him with an experienced NHL coach. That Jets team looked worse than the Oilers when they were at Rexall a few weeks ago.

Old
01-22-2014, 01:51 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Shows what can happen when you fire a coach that's in over his head and replace him with an experienced NHL coach. That Jets team looked worse than the Oilers when they were at Rexall a few weeks ago.
Doesn't help he's seemingly lost the room. Eakins doesn't understand how to command his players.

Perhaps during preseason but once the poor play and lack of REAL accountability set in, players just tuned out.

IMO

Old
01-22-2014, 03:42 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Depending on our roster next year, I'm totally comfortable with him being coach, at least for the sake of giving the players some consistency.

He seems smart, says a lot of the right things at press conferences. It's a matter of that roster not being horrible, especially that D.

Our goal diff now sits at -51, which was also the median temperature for the month of November. It is also the worst in the entire league. Worse than Calgary. Worse than Buffalo.

Old
01-22-2014, 04:35 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:

We've had more 5 game losing streaks than 2 game winning streaks this year....and he's getting it more and more?

I don't buy it. And considering Krueger had a lesser roster, yet produced better results, blaming it solely on the roster doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I mean, name me 5 players that have looked good under short (thus far) tenure as coach.

01-22-2014, 04:54 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Can't believe this idiot is still coach, we have seen what good coaches can do turning a team around, this idiot has them playing the worst in franchise history.

Old
01-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

I'm not really seeing the team play any better, but that may be because the morale of the team is basically broken.

I did notice on the powerplay last night that they were shooting the puck a lot more, so I guess there's that.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:28 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Our goal diff now sits at -51, which was also the median temperature for the month of November. It is also the worst in the entire league. Worse than Calgary. Worse than Buffalo.
Despite all that, they've improved at 5v5

Old
01-22-2014, 10:04 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Despite all that, they've improved at 5v5

Our fenwick close % finally dropped below last seasons after a horrible first 2 periods last night. Congrats Eakins!! Quite a feat considering he got to play the east this year.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:06 AM
cyril*
Losers cheer for..

"Devan Dubnyk came from Edmonton and.. let's just say he has some bad habits." - #Preds Head Coach Barry Trotz

LOL, other coaches are calling out this ****** coaching staff now.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:32 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
"Devan Dubnyk came from Edmonton and.. let's just say he has some bad habits." - #Preds Head Coach Barry Trotz

this should be in every article, blog, report, thread over and over and over again.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

This outta motivate the team to beat nashville and Eakins can send Trotz a basket of fruit.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:55 AM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:

Source?

We all know this is true, but if Trotz actually said that then LOL

Old
01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
cyril*
Losers cheer for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXo Cube View Post
Source?

We all know this is true, but if Trotz actually said that then LOL
https://twitter.com/Cellblock303

Old
01-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Doesn't help he's seemingly lost the room. Eakins doesn't understand how to command his players.

Perhaps during preseason but once the poor play and lack of REAL accountability set in, players just tuned out.

IMO
I said it before. I don't think he ever had the room in the first place. Naming a guy captain that hasn't played for your franchise yet wasn't the best start. I think that started things out on the wrong foot for a lot of guys who have been around a while.

But his system is designed to take a group of AHL grinders and make them play to their strengths. You can't just cut and paste that onto our roster of high draft picks. I think he's learned that its much harder to coach high-end talent than a bunch of slugs. Those AHLers have to buy-in, or they won't make the next step. All our top guys are on guaranteed contracts. Its easier to fire Eakins than to move them. They know that. Who has the upper hand?

Old
01-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Trotz audio

http://section303.com/audio-barry-tr...-9-game2-52068

It starts about 1 min in

Last edited by Neilio: 01-22-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old
01-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Dabomb

lmao at the Dubnyk and Oilers bad habit comment. I'd be interested in hearing Trotz explain those bad habits in more detail. Not really sticking up for the Oilers or Dubnyk here, but what bad goalie habits does he have that is particular to the Oilers?

Old
01-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Beerfish

Now that Krueger has a new gig with Southampton FC perhaps we can convince another soccer team to take Eakins?

Old
01-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Chop Wood, Carry Water

LOL, just watched Oil change.

I feel sorry for you guys.

Closed Thread