HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick choice for noob?

Old
01-19-2014, 09:46 AM
AntsSheffield

vCash: 500
Stick choice for noob?

I'm an adult hockey noob, been playing about 6 months on a learn-to-play scheme, and I'm thinking of getting a new stick.

The one I have right now is a wooden bargain basement Reebok street hockey stick and it's stiff as hell.

I'm 6'2" and 200lbs and can hardly get a bend on it when I lean on it.

What (fairly low end) stick would folks recommend? I have no position so far but would like to play D and would like a pretty neutral curve. I tend to play backhand quite a lot (I'm a bit ambidextrous).

Any recommendations folks?

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:08 AM
1manband

The entry level Easton makos are quite good apparently, or the Bauer's!

3 things you want to look at....

- At your size you probably want to try around an 85 - 95 flex, all comes down to feel!

- Same goes for the curve,as a D you want to look at a heel curve, if you want to be a forward then you want to look at more of a mid to toe curve. again, its all preference really! Im a forward and use a heel curve!

- The last is the pattern, blade angle and angle of the blade to the ice, this will also tell you how your blade is sitting on the ice and if your stick is the right length. If you are more upright youll want a stick with a lower lie, if you crouch more youll want one with a higher lie, most sticks are 5 or 6 standard. to figure out if its right for you, check the tape on your blade, you want it to wear in the middle, if its wearing more on the heel your stick is too long, on the toe, its too short!! Also look at the blade pattern, if its "open" then backhands will be harder than a more closed curve

Is all a compromise along the way!!

Hope that helps!!

1manband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 02:52 PM
stocky

I really like my Bauer Nexus 600 (P88 curve, 77 flex). It is right in the 100 dollar price range and has held up very well to dozens of games over the last 6 or 7 months.

If you are in to the old school sticks (or just spending a little less money), I would also recommend wooden ones. I have both a Koho and a Sherwood, and booth had a fairly whipy flex, and a great feel for the puck. I am pretty sure both were under 20 dollars a pop.

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Chip39

Go on craigslist and buy a bunch of sticks try them and practice with them until you get some preferences. I purchased about three prostock a couple woodies and a midrange easton and I just get used to whatever it am practicing the most with. I was 100 or more flex and my first 85 felt really weird but after a few weeks it's almost preferred now. It shouldn't be something that is that big of a deal unless you make it a big deal. it is easy to get inside your own head about this stuff but it's more fun than anything.

Last edited by Chip39: 01-19-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 03:08 PM
AIREAYE

At this stage, all you are really doing is experimenting and building up your preferences. It will take some time before your skills develop to the point where you can narrow things down. Now is the time to go cheap and try different curves and flexes and lengths to see what you like.

Nobody will or can come up with a magic solution, so all you can do is play around with them.

I personally find the Easton Mako low end sticks to be of decent value, as well as Warrior's low end sticks. I would look at Reebok as well.

1manband has the lies mixed up. I suggest you look over Jarick's stick thread for an overview.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Chip39

Also I am about your height and couldn't find a wood stick long enough.

Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:22 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
At this stage, all you are really doing is experimenting and building up your preferences. It will take some time before your skills develop to the point where you can narrow things down. Now is the time to go cheap and try different curves and flexes and lengths to see what you like.
While I had some pre-established skills from ball hockey that wasn't my experience when I started up in ice. This stick has the wrong lie and I'm missing pucks, this one has too much of a curve and I can't stickhandle, this one is a bit better but I have no shot. I started with a couple sticks laying around already, but in my first 6 months I must have piled up about 10 different sticks until I finally found the perfect 'Goldilocks' stick/curve that did everything (minus the slapshot) just right.

It was an old Koho stick with a Jagr curve which no longer exists, though I managed to find a stockpile of blades plus one cheap composite just before they all disappeared for good. Though 6 years later my supply is running low, I'm kind of worried what I'll do when the last one breaks.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Onetimersniper28

I honestly don't recommend buying another wood stick. Move on to entry level composite sticks. You can get one for $50. If you pick a Bauer stick, I suggest you take a look at the PM9 curve. It's a shallow mid curve, good for backhands and passing. I see a lot of beginners using it.
You're a big guy too, you should be fine with anything under 100 flex.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Try a lot out and just see what you like about them all, and just pick out the one you feel the most comfortable with. Mid range composite sticks (for me at least) are nice. Don't make a lot of money but it works well for me

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Please check my big sticky thread on sticks, then feel free to ask any questions.

At your height, I would be looking at an 85 flex stick. I'm using a $99 Warrior Covert DT4 LT right now and think it's the best composite I've used under $150 and also the only composite under $150 I would bother with. Definitely worth checking out.

Otherwise if you're not willing to spend $99 on a stick, get yourself a Sher-Wood 5030 wood stick. It's a good, classic wood stick. Of course it's going to be heavy and the blade will probably fall apart after a month, but that's why nobody really uses wood sticks anymore.

Cheap composite sticks are IMO going to hurt your game rather than help it, so I would avoid them at all costs.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:34 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Agree with what most are saying here. Look for an 80-87 flex and try out a bunch of different curves. I find that you can't really go wrong with a Sakic curve from my experience.

01-22-2014, 08:09 AM
MNWild9

I would say try a shaft and blade combo. You can get a good shaft on ebay for cheap. Then try out some curves to find the one you like.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:23 AM
ciscomorales

Noob also here I have a 5030/coffey or equivalent curve and a nexus/bacsktrom I think. I use the 5030 for d its a little heavier and I think plays better in the corner boards. The nexus is lighter and the curve helps when I am trying to lift the Puck. After trying a few friends sticks I found I like mid flex

ciscomorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:59 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWild9 View Post
I would say try a shaft and blade combo. You can get a good shaft on ebay for cheap. Then try out some curves to find the one you like.
If I could start again I would follow this advice. I spent quite a lot on sticks until I've found my preference, a good shaft and a few blades would have spare me a lot.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

On that note, I would recommend clearance Warrior Dolomite shafts and tapered blades from BASE or if you can find clearance ones. The shafts run about $70-80 each and the blades $50-60. Certainly cheaper than an entire stick.

Also, invest in a heat gun, hack saw, miter box, and some wood plugs.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote