HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has the time come to name a Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Dineen was the front runner.
I still want to know what kind of tree that he said he resembled.

Old
01-20-2014, 06:15 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
Were getting closer... He's laced up skates and been involved in the current winning streak. Mark it down Horton will be the captain when the puck drops for the opener next year.
Will hold you to it

Old
01-20-2014, 08:06 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Were getting closer... He's laced up skates and been involved in the current winning streak. Mark it down Horton will be the captain when the puck drops for the opener next year.
I could see this. When he was still injured, JD said he/they felt that there wasn't anyone on the team currently that was captain material. Didn't want to give it to someone and then realize he wasn't the one and take it away. If that was the case, it would eliminate Dubinsky,Foligno, Johnson, etc as a Captain.

Horton is a star, signed long term, and knows what it takes to get to the Cup finals(x2) and win(x1). It also seemed like Rimer was saying that when Horton is around, his presence changed the atmosphere on the ice and in the locker room. Seems like they all look up to him and love having him around.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:22 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 19309
Quote:
Possibly - but I would suggest that Horton play at least a half season before there is any talk of giving him the C.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
I could see this. When he was still injured, JD said he/they felt that there wasn't anyone on the team currently that was captain material. Didn't want to give it to someone and then realize he wasn't the one and take it away. If that was the case, it would eliminate Dubinsky,Foligno, Johnson, etc as a Captain.

Horton is a star, signed long term, and knows what it takes to get to the Cup finals(x2) and win(x1). It also seemed like Rimer was saying that when Horton is around, his presence changed the atmosphere on the ice and in the locker room. Seems like they all look up to him and love having him around.
This exactly.

I see shades of leadership in Dubinsky, Foligno, and Johnson, but Horton seems to have it. I don't think any of these guys would be a terrible captain, but I'm leaning towards Horton.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:15 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Lori Schmidt had some comments from Ryan Johansen on the topic:

Nathan Horton has a goal, three assists and is a +1 since January 6; but more importantly, says teammate Ryan Johansen, is what he has added to the dressing room.

“He’s had a huge impact, a ton of leadership,” Johansen said. “He’s one of those guys you look at, and you just want to work for him. He’s a guy who leaves it all on the ice every time he steps over the boards. Speaking for the other guys in here, when you see that, you want to win for him.”

http://fearthehat.wordpress.com/2014...c-for-the-cbj/

Old
01-21-2014, 09:22 AM
MapleJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post

Nathan Horton has a goal, three assists and is a +1 since January 6; but more importantly, says teammate Ryan Johansen, is what he has added to the dressing room.

“He’s had a huge impact, a ton of leadership,” Johansen said. “He’s one of those guys you look at, and you just want to work for him. He’s a guy who leaves it all on the ice every time he steps over the boards. Speaking for the other guys in here, when you see that, you want to win for him.”

Sounds to me like Horton was promised the C when he signed with us......

Old
01-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Steamed Hams

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Agreed. They seem more concerned than anyone.
Nope. Based on a rough estimate of what I see on Twitter every time somebody brings it up, it's the key issue for a sizable portion of the fanbase.

Goes back to the beat writers proclaiming everything to be a leadership/effort problem for the better part of a decade. Old habits die hard.

01-21-2014, 10:10 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleJ View Post
I have absolutely no idea how you could come to that conclusion based on either that quote or the entire clip.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:26 AM
MapleJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I have absolutely no idea how you could come to that conclusion based on either that quote or the entire clip.
That is just what the whole situation smells like to me. Sorry if my tin foil hat is showing.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
That is just what the whole situation smells like to me. Sorry if my tin foil hat is showing.
Actually have wondered the same.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Monk

Quote:
I doubt "promised" is quite accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me if they danced around the idea. By candlelight. A glass of pinot noir.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:49 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 19309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Nope. Based on a rough estimate of what I see on Twitter every time somebody brings it up, it's the key issue for a sizable portion of the fanbase.

Goes back to the beat writers proclaiming everything to be a leadership/effort problem for the better part of a decade. Old habits die hard.
Twitter is hardly an accurate measurement of what might be a key issue to the fanbase. I would venture to guess, most CBJ fans are not on twitter and therefore twitter can not be used for anything except for a small subset of the fan base.

Old
01-21-2014, 04:51 PM
cbjfaninmo
Jarmo von Raschke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I doubt "promised" is quite accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me if they danced around the idea. By dancers. A glass of beer.
This is a little more accurate.

Old
01-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2508
Horton

Nothing else needs, can, or should be said

If they look up to this guy for leadership, he should wear the C

Old
01-21-2014, 09:05 PM
PopaneNightscare

Kaptain Tootin Please.

Old
01-22-2014, 01:33 AM
nhldiedinthe90s
who farted lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Actually have wondered the same.
I didn't think that was something that ever happened.

Boy am I naive.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:52 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
I seriously doubt that.
It goes against the way they've not given it to anyone else.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old
01-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldiedinthe90s View Post
I didn't think that was something that ever happened.

Boy am I naive.
It might not be something that ever happens. It actually seems pretty unlikely. But I can't say that there have been narratives that didn't make me wonder.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Senators fan here. Just browsing.

Not that I know anything regarding Horton's situation with you guys. But straight up asking for the C isn't all that uncommon. It's pretty common knowledge, albeit I guess it is still speculation, that one of the major reasons Chara left Ottawa and went to Boston is because he wanted to be guaranteed he would be made captain at some point during the duration of any contract he was going to sign. Ottawa told him they couldn't do it. Peter Chiarelli who had just vacated his spot with Ottawa's FO to take the GM job in Boston, however, was willing to hand him the C with the Bruins. They did. The rest is history.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Steamed Hams

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Senators fan here. Just browsing.

Not that I know anything regarding Horton's situation with you guys. But straight up asking for the C isn't all that uncommon. It's pretty common knowledge, albeit I guess it is still speculation, that one of the major reasons Chara left Ottawa and went to Boston is because he wanted to be guaranteed he would be made captain at some point during the duration of any contract he was going to sign. Ottawa told him they couldn't do it. Peter Chiarelli who had just vacated his spot with Ottawa's FO to take the GM job in Boston, however, was willing to hand him the C with the Bruins They did. The rest is history.
I really really really doubt that Horton was promised the C. There's no evidence to suggest it. Just the musings of a Captaincy-obsessed portion of the fanbase.

Old
04-29-2014, 08:30 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

He may never be named captain, but it's clear to me after last nights game that Dubinsky was the teams acting captain this year. If you watched as the players left the ice Dubinsky stayed at the bench door and shook the hand of every player as they left the ice. I notice little things like this all year. He's clearly a leader on this team and a guy that the team looks to for leadership.

04-29-2014, 08:39 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
He may never be named captain, but it's clear to me after last nights game that Dubinsky was the teams acting captain this year. If you watched as the players left the ice Dubinsky stayed at the bench door and shook the hand of every player as they left the ice. I notice little things like this all year. He's clearly a leader on this team and a guy that the team looks to for leadership.
1000% agreed with you. 1000%

04-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Speedy Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Agreed. While I love Dubinsky's passion and leadership, the only knock with him is he's sometimes loses his cool. A captain needs to maintain a level disposition. If Dubi can reign in the emotion when appropriate, he is absolutely worthy of the C. If not him, than my vote would go to Johnson - maybe not as emotional as Dubi, but he leads by playing heavy minutes, not mincing words with the media, and in my mind, helping to legitimize the franchise when traded from L.A. to the Jackets by fully embracing his new team, a team that was in seriously troubled waters at the time.

Old
04-29-2014, 08:52 AM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spintheblackcircle View Post
1000% agreed with you. 1000%
2000%

Closed Thread