HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Lounge XX (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Sharppi
5 more years of Dub.

vCash: 1139
I don't know how often this kind of things are asked here, but I might be moving to Columbus soon. I might be getting an internal transfer from Finland to Springfield, OH and I'm not planning to live in Springfield. Are there any areas of Columbus I need to avoid from renting a house, what are good things to know in general about Columbus and the surrounding areas?

Again, nothing is 100% confirmed yet, but I'm just trying to prepare for this scenario.

Thanks in advance!

Old
01-22-2014, 03:15 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
I don't know how often this kind of things are asked here, but I might be moving to Columbus soon. I might be getting an internal transfer from Finland to Springfield, OH and I'm not planning to live in Springfield. Are there any areas of Columbus I need to avoid from renting a house, what are good things to know in general about Columbus and the surrounding areas?

Again, nothing is 100% confirmed yet, but I'm just trying to prepare for this scenario.

Thanks in advance!
Any particular reason you don't want to live in Springfield? You'll rarely get from Columbus to Springfield in under 60 minutes, especially during the usual commute hours.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:47 AM
Columbus Mike
2015-16 CBJ

vCash: 3422
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I'll be Captain Obvious, and say that you might want to look in the Hilliard area. It's a nice area, and being on the west side of the city will make that commute to Springfield much better.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:58 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
I'll be Captain Obvious, and say that you might want to look in the Hilliard area. It's a nice area, and being on the west side of the city will make that commute to Springfield much better.
I was just thinking the same, so yeah it must be obvious. I'd think you could find a place off Roberts Road, be 5 mins or less from I-70, straight shot to Springfield in maybe less than 45 minutes, depending on the time of day. Maybe another 5-10 minutes off the trip if you go west of Hilliard proper (out by Bradley HS) and where the workplace is in Springfield.

Sharppi - What's your family situation? Would help in offering some feedback to your questions.

Old
01-22-2014, 06:12 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I lived in Hilliard, ........once.

Old
01-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I lived in Hilliard, ........once.
*not accompanied by a current local temp*
*weird*

Old
01-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

grew up in hilliard...barely recognize it now

Old
01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Sharppi
5 more years of Dub.

Hey thanks already for your answers. The offices are located in southeast Springfield, straight off 70.

I have a wife, a 2 month old daughter and a golden retriever. Slightly cliche, I know.

Anyway, I'm very much open to all options, but Hilliard seems like a reasonable place. Is it a decent neighborhood? I have some relatives living in Houston and they live in this gated community, is it a necessity in Ohio or even typical? I've been in Ohio so far so I'm not too familiar with anything.

I didn't like Springfield too much, it reminds me of a dead industrial town. I'd much rather live in Columbus, as it would be much more easier to go see some NHL hockey (and my beloved Wild). I'm determined that Blue Jackets can become my "east team" though.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Hilliard is a great city to raise a kid...taxes are higher if you own a home, but good school district...you don't need to live in a gated area...but there are some around if your job is affluent enough

They're really building up the area and redo-ing roads near I70 on the south side of Hilliard, so getting to Springfield from there should be very difficult...as well as get you to CBJ games quite easily...

Old
01-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Hilliard is a great city to raise a kid...taxes are higher if you own a home, but good school district...you don't need to live in a gated area...but there are some around if your job is affluent enough

They're really building up the area and redo-ing roads near I70 on the south side of Hilliard, so getting to Springfield from there should be very difficult...as well as get you to CBJ games quite easily...
I think you're missing "not" in there.

Sharppi - I think Hilliard is the ideal location. Plenty of nice neighborhoods, if a little cookie-cutter. It's a large enough suburb to support pretty much every kind of retail, and easy access to the 270 outerbelt which will get you to any part of greater Columbus in a half-hour or so, and I-70 access as well to get downtown Columbus and to work. Fro's right about the schools - two of the high schools are new in the last decade or so, plus new buildings at lower levels, too. Nice neighborhoods in "old" Hilliard proper as well, and put you bikes rides to fast food, library and such, if you like.

(No, I am not a realtor nor a member of the Visitors' Bureau.)

Old
01-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Sharppi
5 more years of Dub.

Again, thanks a lot for your replies. I will familiarize myself more with the Hilliard area, but it really sounds great. Helpful bunch, you are.

Also, Jeff Carter sucks.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Matt Foley
Meh

Quote:
Hey thanks already for your answers. The offices are located in southeast Springfield, straight off 70...

Anyway, I'm very much open to all options, but Hilliard seems like a reasonable place. Is it a decent neighborhood? I have some relatives living in Houston and they live in this gated community, is it a necessity in Ohio or even typical? I've been in Ohio so far so I'm not too familiar with anything.

I didn't like Springfield too much, it reminds me of a dead industrial town. I'd much rather live in Columbus, as it would be much more easier to go see some NHL hockey (and my beloved Wild). I'm determined that Blue Jackets can become my "east team" though.
The daily commute between Springfield and Hilliard is manageable - I had a co-worker who did that commute for six years and it worked for her.

Hilliard is kind of a blend of old and new - it's an overgrown farm town with a historical section as well as all the modern amenities of a larger suburb. Every category of housing (houses, apartments, and condominiums) is available there in all price ranges - you'll have lots of options, both new and established. My wife and I have lived here since we were married almost 22 years ago and raised four children here. The kids have had so many different kinds of opportunities to pursue academically and athletically here.

Old
01-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

yes...thanks DSL... Should NOT be very difficult...hahahaha

Old
01-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Again, thanks a lot for your replies. I will familiarize myself more with the Hilliard area, but it really sounds great. Helpful bunch, you are.

Also, Jeff Carter sucks.
I like him. Welcome aboard, Sharppi!

Old
01-23-2014, 07:35 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
The daily commute between Springfield and Hilliard is manageable - I had a co-worker who did that commute for six years and it worked for her.

Hilliard is kind of a blend of old and new - it's an overgrown farm town with a historical section as well as all the modern amenities of a larger suburb. Every category of housing (houses, apartments, and condominiums) is available there in all price ranges - you'll have lots of options, both new and established. My wife and I have lived here since we were married almost 22 years ago and raised four children here. The kids have had so many different kinds of opportunities to pursue academically and athletically here.
Hilliard has nice people and schools. I lived there for 10 years.
It lacks a sense of community identity mainly because it sprawls, feels unplanned, and lacks quality control. Dublin and Upper Arlington are better suburbs.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Hey thanks already for your answers. The offices are located in southeast Springfield, straight off 70.

I have a wife, a 2 month old daughter and a golden retriever. Slightly cliche, I know.

That's just about accurate, from what I know of having been there (my father comes from that area). That said, don't underestimate the commute. My grandfather (z''l) lived on the east side of Springfield (Oaksmere Street, if you've been there) and we're in Upper Arlington, but getting there routinely took more than an hour.

Gated communities are not exactly commonplace. I've seen more of them on the northeast side, and that seems to be more out of trendiness rather than any real necessity.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:45 AM
DEF

If you really want to experience middle America, Check out London, Ohio. Half way between Columbus and Springfield, low cost of living and they even have a Walmart.

Old
02-09-2014, 09:36 PM
pete goegan

The tribute to the Beatles debut on Ed Sullivan was great fun! I doubt anyone too young to remember it can imagine the impact it had. 73 million viewers, 40% of all men, women, and children in the country watched. It was seismic!

Old
02-10-2014, 07:47 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:

How about London? Sorry, what DEF said.

Old
02-10-2014, 08:44 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
How about London?
Too much fog.

Old
02-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Roadman
Moving On

I live in London, and it is as described, a quiet little slice of mid-America. Nice place to raise a family. No kids so can't tell you about the schools other than they are are all new buildings. Can get to NWA in about 30 minutes, almost anywhere in Columbus in less than an hour. Hilliard Rome road is the west most exit and it's about 15 min.

It is a small town if that's what you're looking for. Definitively not a suburb.

Old
02-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Time Warner being purchased by Comcast.

Glad we get to go from a near-monopoly with poor service to an even larger near-monopoly with even worse service.

Hope this gets blocked.

02-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Glad we get to go from a near-monopoly with poor service to an even larger near-monopoly with even worse service.

Hope this gets blocked.
We're all hoping much the same over here. The AT&T-TMobile merger got blocked, so I already know miracles are possible in this regard, but we'll see.

Old
02-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Hope this gets blocked.
Judging from the relative lack of activity on TWC's stock (it still sits nicely below the reported buy price), it would seem that the market doesn't think it'll end up going through either.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:33 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

House of Cards is top drawer

Closed Thread