HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Cammalleri Extension Possible

Old
01-22-2014, 07:24 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Why resign him unless it's a sign and trade. ??

He's not going to help the rebuild.
Still plenty of pieces that can be moved. In fact if Cammy comes back I bet Burke shops Hudler who is probably worth more right now.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:24 AM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Burke tried to sign Cammalleri in 2009. He likes the player. Burke should go to Murray Edwards and name himself the GM. Burke is signing players and will hire a GM in the summer. If the new GM doesn't like Stajan or Cammalleri(if the Flames re-sign),he will be stuck with these guys. The Flames should have fired Feaster in the summer and given Burke the job instead of going with the President of Hockey Ops model. Burke is looking for a new GM but he is one making the phone calls for trades and re-signing players. The new GM will get hired in the summer. Who will be the boss? Burke.
Really good point about the how the new GM may view Burke's recent signings. That's probably one reason why Burke should have waited until at least after the deadline to resign players. Test the trade waters - see what you can get for potential free agents - resign the players who can't be traded. I think a new GM would understand that reasoning.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:29 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Really good point about the how the new GM may view Burke's recent signings. That's probably one reason why Burke should have waited until at least after the deadline to resign players. Test the trade waters - see what you can get for potential free agents - resign the players who can't be traded. I think a new GM would understand that reasoning.
Wait till after the deadline to resign players so if they can't be resigned we lose them for nothing genius..

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 01-22-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old
01-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Wait till after the deadline to resign players so if they can't be resigned we lose them for nothing genius..
I was talking about the trade deadline. I'm assuming you can still sign pending free agents after the trade deadline (Unless the new CBA has changed that).

If a pending free agent can't be traded then why not try to resign them? Judging by some of the things Matt Stajan said in this morning's Calgary Herald he'd stay here if he could.

Last edited by Mike Jones: 01-22-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old
01-22-2014, 07:47 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I was talking about the trade deadline. I'm assuming you can still sign pending free agents after the trade deadline (Unless the new CBA has changed that).

If a pending free agent can't be traded then why not try to resign them? Judging by some of the things Matt Stajan said in this morning's Calgary Herald he'd stay here if he could.
You have it backwards in terms of how things work. Signing the UFA's that you want to sign for next year now allows you to get it done and if they can't be resigned then they can be traded. You don't go into the deadline and try to trade all your UFA's and try to sign anyone left over as they aren't all equally important or needed here.

This has been the plan since the offseason as Feaster said the plan was to lock up potential UFA's they want to keep just after Christmas.

Old
01-22-2014, 08:30 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Cammi is a great personality. He's one of those guys that is a great part of a solid team because he's motivated, works as hard as anyone, has impeccable diet and lifestyle habits, and is more than happy to try and infuse that attitude into the team.

I would go a far as to say that he's been a pivotal factor in the Flames maintaining a high compete level despite being out of the playoff race.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
You have it backwards in terms of how things work. Signing the UFA's that you want to sign for next year now allows you to get it done and if they can't be resigned then they can be traded. You don't go into the deadline and try to trade all your UFA's and try to sign anyone left over as they aren't all equally important or needed here.

This has been the plan since the offseason as Feaster said the plan was to lock up potential UFA's they want to keep just after Christmas.
Not if your serious about a rebuild. Trade who you can and sign who's left. Signing tradable assets like Cammy is not rebuilding - it's business as usual and that's not helping the Flames right now. In fact business as usual helped drive the Flames into this rebuild in the first place.

Last edited by Mike Jones: 01-22-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old
01-22-2014, 08:50 AM
madmike77

Stajan wasn't a shock, but if this happened it would surprise me.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 08:52 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Isn't this how Calgary ended up where they are today?

Holding on to every player they had with any value until they had none, leaving a bare cupboard.
To be fair the cupboard is hardly bare now. They've drafted better and they're not finishing in the middle of the pack any more, which is giving them prospects like Monahan.

This year looks like it should be their first-ever top-5 selection, which should help.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Buttonwood
$$$

vCash: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
This is a classic Burke strategy. Don't worry Flames fans Cammy isn't getting re-signed. We used to hear Burke everyday saying he wants to keep Tomas Kaberle, great player, bla bla meanwhile was shopping him as hard as he could but ended up getting a good return.
Ya, if I were a GM I would certainly appear to covet a player publicly. If his current team doesn't want him, why would another team give anything up of value? It's all misdirection, and its smarter than saying: we don't want this guy, give us something for him!

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:51 AM
YP44

Cammy has been beat up most of the year. If he was kept on a 1-2 year deal it would allow them to move him out at a later date.
Sure would rather have moved Stajan over him.

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:01 AM
HABSFTW

They did just sign Stajan, who knows what they are up to..

HABSFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Goodlad

vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Cammy has been beat up most of the year. If he was kept on a 1-2 year deal it would allow them to move him out at a later date.
Sure would rather have moved Stajan over him.
Except by that point he'll have even less value. At 33 yrs old, and a further 2 seasons separated from his last playoff hockey I don't think there will be nearly as many teams interested in his services. That's barring any further injury trouble he might run into between now and then.

I think the time to trade Cammy is now, and I hope this is just a smoke-screen.

Goodlad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

A 1st and a prospect? I guess if you don't ask you don't get

01-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Cammalleri has proven to be a playoff performer, so I could see a contender giving up a late 1st and a middling prospect for Cammalleri at the deadline, especially if one of the top teams suffers an injury to one of their top players. In fact, he might be of interest to the Sharks now that Hertl is likely out for the season. The Sharks have had problems with depth in playoffs past, and being able to move Pavelski to 3C might be invaluable for them.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Cammalleri has proven to be a playoff performer, so I could see a contender giving up a late 1st and a middling prospect for Cammalleri at the deadline, especially if one of the top teams suffers an injury to one of their top players. In fact, he might be of interest to the Sharks now that Hertl is likely out for the season. The Sharks have had problems with depth in playoffs past, and being able to move Pavelski to 3C might be invaluable for them.
Cammalleri has put on a lot of miles since then though. Obviously teams would be interested in him for playoff depth

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
I think Burke wants to get rid of Hudler and keep Cammy if he could.
Possibly, I think they are going to try and move Stemps as well.

01-22-2014, 10:45 AM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
A 1st and a prospect? I guess if you don't ask you don't get
Doesn't mean it is a grade A prospect.

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote