HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
I could see MacT offering up just about everything for Weber. Maybe not Hall or RNH. But 1st rounders, top prospects, roster players.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:40 AM
Soundwave

Yakupov, EDM 1st 2014 (Draistal? Reinhart?), J. Schultz would be my offer to Nashville for Weber.

I think you guys are overpaying for him, if Nashville is moving him it's because they don't want to be paying his giant front loaded actual salary of 14 million whopping dollars.

Old
01-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yakupov, EDM 1st 2014 (Draistal? Reinhart?), J. Schultz would be my offer to Nashville for Weber.

I think you guys are overpaying for him, if Nashville is moving him it's because they don't want to be paying his giant front loaded actual salary of 14 million whopping dollars.
There are offers even better than that one that Nashville fans on these boards just seem to hate.

just looking at what they could have with the trade you suggest (with some roster guesses)....

Forsberg Smith Yakupov
Reinhart Fisher Hornqvist (with Reinhart/Draisaitl eventually moving to C)
Bourque Wilson Nystrom
Clune Cullen Stalberg

Josi Jones
Klein Schultz
Ellis Ekholm

Rinne

a team with a future....

Last edited by Mr Positive: 01-21-2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: clarity
Old
01-21-2014, 02:25 AM
oilwings

The Oilers need Ekblad.

Old
01-21-2014, 08:01 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:

I feel that is still a massive overpay. One of those centers could easily develop into a player worth a top pairing D. J. Schultz still has top pairing potential (especially if sent to a well coached team)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
There are offers even better than that one that Nashville fans on these boards just seem to hate.

just looking at what they could have with the trade you suggest (with some roster guesses)....

Forsberg Smith Yakupov
Reinhart Fisher Hornqvist (with Reinhart/Draisaitl eventually moving to C)
Bourque Wilson Nystrom
Clune Cullen Stalberg

Josi Jones
Klein Schultz
Ellis Ekholm

Rinne

a team with a future....
That's what I hate about HF boards. They will complain that the offer is nowhere near enough. Then if Nashville accepted something like our first, J. schultz, + Marincin, you would hear them say "we didn't need Weber anymore. J. Schultz is a young Suter, plus we got our future first line center out of this. We won that deal easily"

Old
01-21-2014, 08:38 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Sam Bennett has missed 5 Fronts games (plus the Top Prospects game) with his groin injury. They have lost all 5 games without him.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:58 AM
Soundwave

I think if the pick is 1 or 2 it's a fairly easy selection, you take Ekblad first obviously, if not Reinhart, but I wonder at no.3 who the Oilers would take if they are making that pick.

It seems unlikely we can catch Florida or anyone else at this rate.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
I think if the pick is 1 or 2 it's a fairly easy selection, you take Ekblad first obviously, if not Reinhart, but I wonder at no.3 who the Oilers would take if they are making that pick.

It seems unlikely we can catch Florida or anyone else at this rate.
I think it's getting to the point where we can safely say that 4th overall would be the lowest we'll pick. Can't see us making any ground to do anything better than 3rd overall.

It's actually not a bad position considering from what I'm reading the draft is shaping into tears now and the first tier seems to be the four of Dal Colle, Bennet, Ekblad, Reinhart.

I don't claim to know who's better and I usually don't like defenseman early in the draft but that's mainly ones that don't put up points. Watching Ekblad at the world Juniors I came away more impressed than I expected with his offensive game.

Hopefully we can get Ekblad. After that whomever is left of the 4 that will for sure play center.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Dabomb

Curious if theres ever been any NHL team, or Pro Sport team for that matter, that has had four first overall picks on their roster.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I think it's getting to the point where we can safely say that 4th overall would be the lowest we'll pick. Can't see us making any ground to do anything better than 3rd overall.

It's actually not a bad position considering from what I'm reading the draft is shaping into tears now and the first tier seems to be the four of Dal Colle, Bennet, Ekblad, Reinhart.

I don't claim to know who's better and I usually don't like defenseman early in the draft but that's mainly ones that don't put up points. Watching Ekblad at the world Juniors I came away more impressed than I expected with his offensive game.

Hopefully we can get Ekblad. After that whomever is left of the 4 that will for sure play center.
I'd take Bennett over Dal Colle. He plays the game with an edge whereas Dal Colle is a little soft for being 6'2" and has been playing the wing this year. I also think Bennett might be a better fit for the Oilers than Reinhart given his physicality. I'd rather they get Ekblad but failing that they should get a good player for #2C behind RNH, although whoever they pick would benefit from going back to junior.

Old
01-22-2014, 12:43 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I'd take Bennett over Dal Colle. He plays the game with an edge whereas Dal Colle is a little soft for being 6'2" and has been playing the wing this year. I also think Bennett might be a better fit for the Oilers than Reinhart given his physicality. I'd rather they get Ekblad but failing that they should get a good player for #2C behind RNH, although whoever they pick would benefit from going back to junior.
I thought that we were looking for players with size, Bennett is 6"1" but only 178lbs, even Reinhart is 6"1" 186lbs. Talk all you want about his playing a physical game but if his body is not big enough it won't translate to the NHL, he will break down and get injured too much.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:30 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Habs fan here. What do you do if you guys end up with the 2nd overall pick & Ekblad is gone? Would you trade down to draft another defensemen? Take Reinhart? Trade down for another forward like Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl? Trade the pick for an NHL d-man? (If so, who would it be?)

Old
01-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKing View Post
Habs fan here. What do you do if you guys end up with the 2nd overall pick & Ekblad is gone? Would you trade down to draft another defensemen? Take Reinhart? Trade down for another forward like Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl?
Probably in that case they pick Sam Reinhart and move Gagner and perhaps even Yakupov for a d-man like an Adam Larsson or Griffin Reinhart.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:33 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Habs fan here. What do you do if you guys end up with the 2nd overall pick & Ekblad is gone? Would you trade down to draft another defensemen? Take Reinhart? Trade down for another forward like Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl? Trade the pick for an NHL d-man? (If so, who would it be?)
Bennett or Reinhart would be putting on an Oiler Jersey. Personally I'd look at moving RNH if that happenned but thats just me.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:34 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Probably in that case they pick Sam Reinhart and move Gagner and perhaps even Yakupov for a d-man like an Adam Larsson or Griffin Reinhart.
Makes sense. Hope you guys get things turned around.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I thought that we were looking for players with size, Bennett is 6"1" but only 178lbs, even Reinhart is 6"1" 186lbs. Talk all you want about his playing a physical game but if his body is not big enough it won't translate to the NHL, he will break down and get injured too much.
Just out of curiosity...Do you have any evidence to support the assertion that smaller players get hurt more?

Old
01-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Mike Richards 5'11 196, has missed 12 games the last 6 years (avg of 2 per season), credited with 607 hits over that span.

Chris Kunitz is 6'0 195, had 2 of the last 8 seasons where significant time was missed due to injury (45 games), but in the other 6 seasons he missed 1 game. Hasn't missed a game this year or the two previous (179 straight) and has 391 hits over that time.

Fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight. Bennett will be fine. That said, it's a toss up between him and Reinhart if Ekblad is off the table.

Old
01-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
How many years would it take for Ekblad to produce decently?

My guess is 4

Old
01-22-2014, 08:52 PM
redgrant

Unless the Oilers get a top 3 overall pick they cant draft for the life of them (eberle exception to the rule).

I want a total overall of our scouting bozos. Just look at a team like Vancouver Bieksa 5th Round Elder 3rd Round both Kessler and Schnieder (2 plays the oilers passed on!) late 1st round picks.

Im so fed up with oil management going after the Riley Nashs and Alex Plantes of the world. They passed on higher ranked players for gods sake to get these gems. Why isnt scouting accountable sigh!!

Old
01-22-2014, 08:58 PM
redgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Bennett or Reinhart would be putting on an Oiler Jersey. Personally I'd look at moving RNH if that happenned but thats just me.
Wow.... high expectations much? RNH is a future star and you need 2 lines to win in this league. Even Vancouver has proven that.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:07 PM
armandh01

I'm happy with Rein, Ekblad or Draisaitl if we miraculously climb a bit. I'm actually on the fence between Rein or Ekblad.

1a / 1b C is an enticing thing to have. If we get Ekblad I do everything to get OReilly and sign him long term. 2015 1st + stuff.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
shogun99

Quote:
We will draft the smallest, play making winger available. The more he dislikes physical play and helping in the defensive zone the better.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:33 PM
shogun99

Lolz at the people that voted for Nylander. If we actually picked him I'd be waiting for him to announce that his mom won't let him play in Edmonton.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:37 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:

if people really want to start to talk about a weber deal-- Hall is the guy the oilers will be sending to the preds

Yak under achiever, Schultz has been hit with the sophomore jinx and a top pick does not get you one of the best d-men in the world

Old
01-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Updated the OP because hoping for Ekblad is the only thing that brings me Oilers related joy.

Closed Thread