HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Olympics (Faulk: USA, Ruutu: FIN, Sekera: SVK, Semin: RUS)

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2014, 03:30 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
We do a lot of holding the puck while the other 4 guys are staying fairly motionless. I feel like one day I'm going to be looking back on these static power plays the same way I look at stand up goalies waving at pucks as they go by them in the 70's. I feel like there should be constant orchestrated movement.
My 7th grade basketball coach would be pissed off at the lack of movement that we show on our PP.

Old
01-21-2014, 03:40 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Goals for per 60 is about 1.5 worse with Staal off the ice on the powerplay.

It's looked better lately with the addition of Liles, though it hasn't resulted in any extra goals. Oddly enough, some of the worst on/off ice differentials come from Semin, Murphy and Tlusty. Some of that is probably just variance, but it was also slightly better when Semin was off the ice last year too. The numbers seem to support him not being that helpful on the PP. In his time here, at least. Again, limited sample sizes though.

Old
01-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Rad ChaLose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodTheBawd View Post
I realize it's your MO to make a lot of unfounded claims based on your "opinions," but you're acting like the guy has dropped 20 mph off his shot. Ask Bishop what he thought of Semins shot as it almost ripped his head off. Ya, his shot is off a bit, but not nearly to the degree you make it out to be.
I came here to post this. I was 5 rows up from the glass when Semin shot that. You could not see the puck at all - you just saw Semin shoot and then heard the puck hitting the glass. Bishop wanted NONE of it.

Old
01-21-2014, 03:42 PM
rocky7
Tell itlikeit Isn't!

Quote:
I realize it's your MO to make a lot of unfounded claims based on your "opinions," but you're acting like the guy has dropped 20 mph off his shot. Ask Bishop what he thought of Semins shot as it almost ripped his head off. Ya, his shot is off a bit, but not nearly to the degree you make it out to be.
o.k. bud. he is shooting harder than the mascot....Chantel on the other hand, 19 mph faster..

Old
01-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
We do a lot of holding the puck while the other 4 guys are staying fairly motionless. I feel like one day I'm going to be looking back on these static power plays the same way I look at stand up goalies waving at pucks as they go by them in the 70's. I feel like there should be constant orchestrated movement.
This. When you have a PP advantage you need movement - players cutting in and out, circling around - everything they can to try to disrupt the defense. It's what you do against a zone defense.

Sometimes they'll pass around and it looks nice, but they are either too hesitant to take advantage when an opening does occur, or some players are too shot happy and take a shot when they don't have an opening for a routine save.

Most of the time we see the other team putting pressure on whoever has the puck and it ends up in a turnover. If they'd move around and help each other out to provide an outlet if a defender moves up to pressure the puck there'd be an opening that could lead to a good scoring chance instead. In fact, you really want the defenders to overplay the puck like that. It's what the goal usually is in a man advantage situation, is to draw a defender so that someone else is open. Only so long as the rest of the team is helping out and gets open, though.

The standing around waiting drives me crazy.

Old
01-21-2014, 03:46 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

the mascots shot is actually not horrible i have played with him at #iceplex

Old
01-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Well, I had this big long post with a bunch of stats, but it's gone now due to my clumsy fingers. Basically, the issue is one that extends to the makeup of the team in general: We have no depth.

The guys getting, by far, the most ice time the last couple years (Eric, Semin, Skinner, Whitney, Jokinen-when-he-was-good, Ruutu-when-he-was-good) have generally been producing on it. The problem is when you get to the 4th and 5th forwards getting major PP time. Where you're giving LaRose, Ponikarovsky, Bad-Ruutu, Bad-Jokinen two to three minutes of PP time a game to produce 3-7 PP points at the end of the year.

Looking back at 07-08 and 08-09, by far our most successful years on the PP, we had the likes of Samsonov, Brindamour, Cullen, etc. producing on that 2nd unit and producing well for the minutes they were given. We just don't have that now and haven't had it recently.

Old
01-21-2014, 04:51 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Fun with small sample sizes:

In 2008-09, 10 players had over 100 minutes on the powerplay. Can you guess who had the highest goals for per 60 at nearly 14?

Answer: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...24+25+26+27+28

Old
01-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

The title was updated, but no one has mentioned.....Semin was added to the Olympics roster for Russia.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:54 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post

In 2008-09, 10 players had over 100 minutes on the powerplay. Can you guess who had the highest goals for per 60 at nearly 14?

Edit: Lolwut

Old
01-21-2014, 11:04 PM
semin4captain

Quote:

on-ice shooting% of 21%

sounds sustainable to me (we all know there's no luck in hockey). sign bryan rodney

Old
01-22-2014, 07:58 AM
TheBigKahuna

Slightly off topic, but I'd be a little uncomfortable going to Sochi....and not feeling great about the safety of these athletes while there.

Old
01-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Zezima

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Slightly off topic, but I'd be a little uncomfortable going to Sochi....and not feeling great about the safety of these athletes while there.
On or off the ice?

Old
01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
RodTheBawd

Quote:
Goals for per 60 is about 1.5 worse with Staal off the ice on the powerplay.
Sorry, should have explained where I was going with that. I was cherrypicking even further, not when Staal is off the ice on the PP, as that would include when he's on PP1 and PP2 comes out, but when Staal wasn't even part of the first unit out (which would likely be only games he's missed). What I was looking for was some numbers that confirmed my anecdotal 2 game eye test that we look better when he's not out there on the first unit. I'm grasping at straws, but since he's been one of the few (if not only) constant all these years with a ****** PP, there's gotta be a correlation.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:00 AM
bluedevil58

I have a very bad feeling about these Olympics. I think it is a big mistake and a huge cause for concern to have it in RUssia. This country obviously does not have their ***** together. I guess it's because they border Chechnya.....

Old
01-22-2014, 11:09 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Sorry, should have explained where I was going with that. I was cherrypicking even further, not when Staal is off the ice on the PP, as that would include when he's on PP1 and PP2 comes out, but when Staal wasn't even part of the first unit out (which would likely be only games he's missed). What I was looking for was some numbers that confirmed my anecdotal 2 game eye test that we look better when he's not out there on the first unit. I'm grasping at straws, but since he's been one of the few (if not only) constant all these years with a ****** PP, there's gotta be a correlation.
Literally anything could happen in a small sample size. That was kind of my point with the Rodney post above. They might have scored more in the two games where he wasn't part of the first unit, but what would it prove?

There's only been one year since 2007-08 where the PP produced more with Staal off the ice than when he was on the ice: 2008-09 on the heels of some pretty unsustainable shooting percentages from the second unit.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:33 AM
RodTheBawd

Agreed, which is why I'm waiting for Eric to go down again and give me Jordan/Skinner/Semin/Lindholm/Liles for a bigger sample

Old
01-22-2014, 11:46 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

So in other Olympics related news, the Norwegian curling team has revealed their new uniforms for the games.

Don't stare at it too long. You wouldn't want that pattern seared into your retinas.

01-22-2014, 11:50 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Those are seriously awesome.

Old
01-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Imagine watching a more fast-tempo sport like hockey played in those uniforms. Epileptic seizure before first intermission.

And speaking of hockey, those suits look like they're straight out of Don Cherry's closet.

Old
02-03-2014, 09:12 AM
CGorman*

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3pxRLLHniE/YT]

Old
02-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGorman View Post
fixed.

Old
02-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil58 View Post
I have a very bad feeling about these Olympics. I think it is a big mistake and a huge cause for concern to have it in RUssia. This country obviously does not have their ***** together. I guess it's because they border Chechnya.....
As negative as it may sound, I'm completely expecting something bad to happen. Lots of athletes are telling their families to stay home and a lot of celebrities are skipping going I've already read.

Old
02-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Incubation

Send a message via MSN to Incubation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil58 View Post
This country obviously does not have their ***** together. I guess it's because they border Chechnya.....
That's unfair and too much generic.

Old
02-04-2014, 05:41 AM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubation View Post
That's unfair and too much generic.
I agree.

Much of the criticism of Russia and how they are handling the event is justified, surely. But as an aside, where was this in 2008? That event was held in a country that doesn't even pretend to be anything other than a one-party state. I remember some anxiousness only, among politicians and journalists, but not condemnation on the scale of that which Russia now (rightly) faces.

Closed Thread