HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introducing your 2014-15 Flyers - armchair edition.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Slot in Girardi or MacDonald as well for ~$5M and move Grossmann... and then somehow get under the cap (yeh right) and it would look pretty beautiful. (could they send down players for a day to be compliant then LTIR and get them back up?)

Only 3 more years of the LTIR Pronger hindrance to go!
Hindrance? Doesn't the team put him on LTIR and it doesn't count against the cap...or am I misunderstanding of LTIR works?

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
His cap hit has to be included on the roster submitted at the end of training camp.

I don't think we will have anyone we can send down to make room. BSchenn's silly contract from LA with its huge and mostly unattainable bonuses will be over with. After Pronger goes on LTIR they can recall or sign players like Hall, Alt, or any free agent who wasn't good enough to get a contract with another team by the end of the camp. But at that point it will be slim pickings.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:47 PM
SolidSnakeUS

How about this:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($0.900m) / Adam Hall ($0.650m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($3.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Dan Girardi ($4.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.750m) /
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Cal Heeter ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,785,595; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $314,405

Trading Grossmann for a pick or picks. Letting Downie, Emery, Mez and Timonen go. Signing Girardi and Niskanen.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:48 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
How about this:

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Cal Heeter ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
------

Trading Grossmann for a pick or picks. Letting Downie, Emery, Mez and Timonen go. Signing Girardi and Niskanen.

Have a feeling Pen's will try to retain him.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Prongo
Beer

Dan Girardi will not sign anywhere close to 4.5 million. Think more like 5.75 or 6 million. Shoot, Edmonton would probably offer 7 million a year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:56 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Defense:

Coburn - Girardi (5.25)
Striet - Schenn
Gus (1) - Greene (3.5)

Pronger (4.9)
------------------
28 mil then Pronger down to open that up.... closer to 23 mil.... still expensive as ****

I'd be okay with that.

Coburn, Striet (who I don't want anywhere near the team as it is but don't think he is moving), Gus can move the puck.

Edit: when i try to build the D, I try to make 3 of each RHD and LHD

Last edited by dingbathero: 01-22-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old
01-22-2014, 01:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Dan Girardi will not sign anywhere close to 4.5 million. Think more like 5.75 or 6 million. Shoot, Edmonton would probably offer 7 million a year.
Why would he ever be worth that much? He can be a bit offensive, but he's no where near as offensive as some other d-men are. Why would you spend that much on a player that will more than likely play amazing defense, but not as much offense (which is usually what pays)? 4.5M-5M for a player like that should be fine.

Old
01-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Why would he ever be worth that much? He can be a bit offensive, but he's no where near as offensive as some other d-men are. Why would you spend that much on a player that will more than likely play amazing defense, but not as much offense (which is usually what pays)? 4.5M-5M for a player like that should be fine.
He will be on the open market, with almost probably 20 teams calling his way. He will get 7 years + 5.5 per year on the market. Teams will pay for that amazing defense with the 25 points a year he puts up. He is a minute eater as well, and will give you 20+ every night. He will command a huge payday.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
How about this:

FORWARDS
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Cal Heeter ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
------

Leave off Hall and MAB. They don't need to be on the initial roster. Then give that $1.4m in saved money to Girardi and Niskanen cause they will need more than those numbers to sign here.

Old
01-22-2014, 02:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Leave off Hall and MAB. They don't need to be on the initial roster. Then give that $1.4m in saved money to Girardi and Niskanen cause they will need more than those numbers to sign here.
If we could bury Rosehill as well, I would.

Old
01-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Curufinwe

Well Rosehill could be waived and buried in the AHL, but I think the submitted roster needs at least 12 forwards, 6 D and 2 goalies on it.

Old
01-22-2014, 02:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I know. Just saying.

Old
01-22-2014, 02:35 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

The defense rebuilding is going to be a hell of a challenge. It has to be done and I nervously await Holmgren's solution. I can envision the long term 5m+ deal going to Orpik now and the quotes of his Olympian resume and how much Homer likes the team.

Appleyard has basically outlined the best case scenario. There are basically 4-5 guys on the market, trade or FA, and they all are going to be in high demand. Any FA option is going to have an unsexy contract.

Our best option is to package the Schenns and pry away the best defensemen available. It's not a popular opinion but I do think they hold some value and are relatively expendable.

Best case scenario?:

Edler-Coburn
Streit-Girardi
Grossmann-Gustafsson/Meszaros

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 02:46 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
bc he's arguably the best UFA defenseman available

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 02:47 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Well Rosehill could be waived and buried in the AHL, but I think the submitted roster needs at least 12 forwards, 6 D and 2 goalies on it.
we all know Rosehill will never be waived. Just look at who Homer waived instead of Rosehill at the start of the season to get under the cap (Hall).

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:21 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
The defense rebuilding is going to be a hell of a challenge. It has to be done and I nervously await Holmgren's solution. I can envision the long term 5m+ deal going to Orpik now and the quotes of his Olympian resume and how much Homer likes the team.

Appleyard has basically outlined the best case scenario. There are basically 4-5 guys on the market, trade or FA, and they all are going to be in high demand. Any FA option is going to have an unsexy contract.

Our best option is to package the Schenns and pry away the best defensemen available. It's not a popular opinion but I do think they hold some value and are relatively expendable.

Best case scenario?:

Edler-Coburn
Streit-Girardi
Grossmann-Gustafsson/Meszaros
Best case scenario is we keep everyone and see how the d prospects come in and play. If they suck then the trade option is still there.

Ehrhoff is a likely buyout candidate by the Sabres as another FA option if that's what we do

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If Ehrhoff is bought out, I'd like to take a chance on him.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:42 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
If Ehrhoff is bought out, I'd like to take a chance on him.
He would be a good option. I think we can keep costs down on him to under 5.5 a year.
I'd like to get a buyout dman list going. Prob not that big

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Curufinwe

Buffalo won't buyout Ehrhoff. He's their best defensman and they still need to reach the cap floor.

His cap recapture penalty is not going to be a huge problem for them even if he does retire in summer 2018.

Old
01-22-2014, 04:04 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Best case scenario is we keep everyone and see how the d prospects come in and play. If they suck then the trade option is still there.

Ehrhoff is a likely buyout candidate by the Sabres as another FA option if that's what we do
Keeping status quo is more like the most mediocre case scenario.

As much as I would like Gostisbehere to be able to walk onto the team next year and be a #4 defender, our defense is still going to be a disaster. I can't imagine Morin/Hagg/Alt being able to jump into NHL just yet.

So you're looking at a top 5 of:

Coburn - obviously solid but prone to playing with his head up his ass for 1/2 a season
Streit - probable to put up 40 pts. a year with suspect D, could slow down even more with age
Grossmann - consistent but players of his body type can flame out quick
Schenn - expected mediocrity
Gostisbehere - ???

This is not an encouraging combination of defensemen. I'm not huge on Edler/Ehrhoff, but I think one of them would make a huge difference. We need an upgrade on one of Streit, Grossmann or Schenn.

Our forward crop lacks depth as well, but I'm more comfortable with our center depth than our defensive depth. I'm also more confident that Laughton can jump into the NHL and be a 2/3C than Gostisbehere jumping in and being a 4D next season. I would not expect Laughton to be able to replace B. Schenn's production, but at least we have other options at C.

We have holes all over the lineup but the future of our D-core outside out of our prospects is dismal. You can't just insert rookies and expect them to take on top-4 roles immediately. Streit and Grossmann could implode any minute. Guys like Edler, Girardi, and MacDonald (at least 1 of) could come in and be the guys the anchor for big minutes on D while Gostisbehere, Morin, and Hagg mature.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:17 PM
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive

In general, I am not overly excited about this teams future. Our defensive core is abysmal and I do not see anyway of changing that in the next 2 years without giving up some serious assets. I think it would be stupid to start shipping off parts for future, because I don't think this team can do a full rebuild. I think they are just too good to get into the Eichel, McDavid sweepstakes.

But, I would not mind a retool. If we end up going down that path the player I would like to keep are: Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Read and Mason. I would like to keep B. Schenn but, he does have good value, and if a good deal came around I would not be against shipping him with his brother.

That being said, it is obvious our defense is bad. Schenn and Grossmann are very similar players, they both are DFD and they are both extremely slow. Streit can put up some points and he can move the puck decently, but that is about it and he is not going to get any better. Coburn is solid most of the time, and he is the only defenseman on our team with good trade value. So, we have one solid defenseman, two mediocre DFD, 1 old OFD on a bad contract, 1 young PMD that for some reason is not getting any ice time even though he was cleared to play over a week ago and the rest will probably not be back next year.

I agree with BrimFullofAsham45, I would like to see Ghost make the team next year, which means he will have to of forgone his senior year. And expecting him to instantly become our best defenseman is probably shooting for the moon.

Offensively I am only slightly more optimistic. It seems like Giroux, and Simmonds are oases. Voracek can produce points, but he can be streaky and his play tends to revolve around G. If G is playing well, Voracek will be also playing well, but the opposite can be said for those two as well.

It is obvious the Flyers completely lack high end talent, after you look past Giroux. It would be nice to have another center or winger capable of putting up decent point totals to take some of the pressure off of Giroux.

So, as far as I see, if the Flyers want to be successful they will need to acquire at least 3 new defenseman, all of which are capable top-4 d-men. They need a high quality winger to play with Giroux and they need to get rid of some of the unnecessary players: Hartnell, L. Schenn or Grossmann, Downie, and Lecavalier if the Olympic break does not rejuvenate him. Overall, I am pretty bored with this team, I feel a very stagnant couple of years upon us and I am having a tough time being patient.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Any young wingers out there with potential that management isn't thrilled with? Maybe we'd be able to flip Luke Schenn for them...

I think that everyone has become too fixated on the need of a #1 dman. It's going to cost way too much to acquire one. The biggest problem isn't that we don't have a true #1, it's that we don't have any depth either.

3 of our 6 dmen are liabilities defensively, 2 of them have 0 puck skills. 4 of them have little to no offensive ability. It's much easier to overhaul the defense with good depth than it is to find 1 stud player.

I'd look to move Schenn, let Mez go, and let Timonen retire. If Timonen wants to stick it out again then it needs to be for like $2mil, not 6. Fill in the holes through FA and prospects.

They need to look to add a defesman that can skate and move the puck reasonably well but with limited offensive skills and solid defensive skills, like Coburn. Much easier to acquire than a number 1, and a definite upgrade. There's a few guys that fit that kind of mold in FA this year,

I'd look to add 2-3 guys via FA, and move L. Schenn+ for a winger. I think with Holmgren being as aggressive as he is the defense is fixable in one offseason if he looks at depth guys instead of trying to make the big splash. I'd like Girardi but he's probably going to get overpaid by a lot.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

2 Schenn's for Eberle + 2nd

I want that to happen.

Vinny/Coots as 2nd line C.
Laughton ready for the NHL - 3rd line C
4th VV or Hall.

Coburn - Girardi
Grossmann - Striet
Gus - Greene

We LACK a TRUE SNIPER..... when was the last time we had a SNIPER?

I think with better mobility in the D we could get away with NOT having a #1 for now.

Old
01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Laughton, L. Schenn, 1st for Bobby Ryan.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:56 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Laughton, L. Schenn, 1st for Bobby Ryan.
no trading for Ryan, he will be here after the 2015 season