HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Yeh, tbh for me McKeown or Honka would be the most likely D picks... every now and again I lapse into loving the idea of DeAngelo... hometown kid, dynamic, amazing skater, good hands, insane offensive IQ, I mean, he has the tools to be a 50 point D man when you watch him. But I'm not sure he has his head on straight, and he gives not one toss about actually defending.

I think moving up to get Fleury is entirely possible... I imagine he goes ~7-10 most likely. Moving up 5 places would not be hard or costly... but if it was 10 then it gets a bit trickier, though still doable.

I think Ekblad is out of reach... if he comes up others will be in on him and it could get just silly.

I am not sure how much better he will end up than Fleury, McKeown, DeAngelo or Honka either, I imagine one of them could quite easily end up as good as him. Don't get me wrong, I really like Ekblad, he could immediately play in the NHL, but I don't think he has the room for growth the others do. It is all just speculation though until ~5-6 years or more down the line though!
I am not a fan of DeAngelo or Honka in the 1st round. Both are excellent puck movers but are smaller guys under 6 ft. There is too much risk with those guys, more so than bigger defensemen, of being a complete bust. Look at Ryan Ellis and Ryan murphy. They aren't terrible players but for where they were taken, are not nearly as impactful at the NHL level as most thought they would be. Plus they need protected minutes. You can get smaller puckmovers later in the draft like Gostisbehere. I know there is a high rate of bust for all defensemen, but if you can get a guy with size and puck skills in the first. If that type of guy doesn't hit his ceiling, you can at least try to turn him into more of a defensive defenseman. It's point producer or bust for Honka and DeAngelo.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Funf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I am not a fan of DeAngelo or Honka in the 1st round. Both are excellent puck movers but are smaller guys under 6 ft. There is too much risk with those guys, more so than bigger defensemen, of being a complete bust. Look at Ryan Ellis and Ryan murphy. They aren't terrible players but for where they were taken, are not nearly as impactful at the NHL level as most thought they would be. Plus they need protected minutes. You can get smaller puckmovers later in the draft like Gostisbehere. I know there is a high rate of bust for all defensemen, but if you can get a guy with size and puck skills in the first. If that type of guy doesn't hit his ceiling, you can at least try to turn him into more of a defensive defenseman. It's point producer or bust for Honka and DeAngelo.
I know what you're saying, and I agree, but you also have to think that the Flyers already have a lot of size in their prospect pool. Morin at 6'7", Hagg is 6'1", Alt is 6'4" - they could possibly take a risk on a player like that and really round out the prospect pool.

Having said that, I still want McKeown or Fleury. And you have to take into account the Flyers history of drafting big players.

Old
01-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf View Post
I know what you're saying, and I agree, but you also have to think that the Flyers already have a lot of size in their prospect pool. Morin at 6'7", Hagg is 6'1", Alt is 6'4" - they could possibly take a risk on a player like that and really round out the prospect pool.

Having said that, I still want McKeown or Fleury. And you have to take into account the Flyers history of drafting big players.
The Flyers haven't gotten the memo that you can teach defense but not skating and puck skills. I like both players in the 2nd. If the Flyers miss the playoffs they will probably be picking around the same area so either could drop to them in the top part of the 2nd much like Hagg did. I would go McKeown or Fleury in the 1st or pick a winger and draft defensemen in bulk after. Even if they take a dman in the first, I would draft defensemen in bulk after as well for a total of 3-4 more prospects with the later ones being European or college guys.

Old
01-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
The Flyers haven't gotten the memo that you can teach defense but not skating and puck skills. I like both players in the 2nd. If the Flyers miss the playoffs they will probably be picking around the same area so either could drop to them in the top part of the 2nd much like Hagg did. I would go McKeown or Fleury in the 1st or pick a winger and draft defensemen in bulk after. Even if they take a dman in the first, I would draft defensemen in bulk after as well for a total of 3-4 more prospects with the later ones being European or college guys.
I imagine both are gone by the 2nd... but you never know, they could fall.

Ollas Mattsson is interesting in the 2nd... but he is pretty boom or bust, but his skating keeps improving.

Old
01-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I imagine both are gone by the 2nd... but you never know, they could fall.

Ollas Mattsson is interesting in the 2nd... but he is pretty boom or bust, but his skating keeps improving.
Jack glover has dipped a bit and he could be available in the 2nd much like Santini last year. Alexis Vanier is also an interesting guy in the 2nd. I am very interested in see the influence of hiring Joakim grundberg, and to a lesser extent Nitty, as far as the flyers drafting Europeans. I think a draft like this is important because after the top 5 it will be a free for all with a lot of late gems and early busts. I think it is a little like 2007 in that outside of the first top 6 prospects, there were some great players taken even late but a huge amount of busts starting in the top 10.

Last edited by Psuhockey: 01-22-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old
01-22-2014, 02:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Jack glover has dipped a bit and he could be available in the 2nd much like Santini last year. Alexis Vanier is also an interesting guy in the 2nd. I am very interested in see the influence of hiring Joakim grundberg, and to a lesser extent Nitty, as far as the flyers drafting Europeans. I think a draft like this is important because after the top 5 it will be a free for all with a lot of late gems and early busts. I think it is a little like 2007 in that outside of the first top 6 prospects, there were some great players taken even late but a huge amount of busts starting in the top 10.
I honestly wouldn't mind taking another goalie early this year in the second round. I like the two Americans at the top in Demko & Nedeljkovic.

I didn't think it was necessary last year with more glaring needs to be addressed over goaltending especially since we just spent a second rounder on a goalie a year prior to that. However I don't think there's a such thing as having too many good goaltending prospects in the system. I know people will say BPA but it seems like most teams draft by needs after the first anyway.

Old
01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I honestly wouldn't mind taking another goalie early this year in the second round. I like the two Americans at the top in Demko & Nedeljkovic.

I didn't think it was necessary last year with more glaring needs to be addressed over goaltending especially since we just spent a second rounder on a goalie a year prior to that. However I don't think there's a such thing as having too many good goaltending prospects in the system. I know people will say BPA but it seems like most teams draft by needs after the first anyway.
Drafting another goalie would be a good idea. IMO, I think a team should always draft 1 goalie every year and 3 defensemen. You have a significantly higher chance of hitting the lottery so to speak on getting a great defenseman and great goalie after the 2nd round than you do forward plus both of those positions have a high bust rate. Not only is it a numbers game but the value of late picks is in defensemen and goalies as you can get top 10 player there at their position but it is a true miracle getting a top 10 scorer after the top 50 let alone 2nd rd.

Old
01-22-2014, 02:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Drafting another goalie would be a good idea. IMO, I think a team should always draft 1 goalie every year and 3 defensemen. You have a significantly higher chance of hitting the lottery so to speak on getting a great defenseman and great goalie after the 2nd round than you do forward plus both of those positions have a high bust rate. Not only is it a numbers game but the value of late picks is in defensemen and goalies as you can get top 10 player there at their position but it is a true miracle getting a top 10 scorer after the 2nd rd.
They drafted Madsen in the fifth round last year but he's pretty raw & will likely spend most if not all of his eligibility at college unless of a spike in his development.

I would still like to spend a second or third rounder on one this year that's a little more polished than that.

Mason McDonald out of the Q stood out to me at the prospects game. He would likely be there in the second/third round range & fits the mold of what the Flyers have been recently looking for in goaltenders (big & athletic).

Old
01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

How does once get tickets to the draft? I would love to go.

DeAngelo lives a stones throw away from me in Sewell, NJ.

"DeAngelo, a native of Sewell, N.J., was one of the last players to be cut from the United States team for the WJC. DeAngelo leads all OHL defensemen with 48 points in 33 games. He has nine goals, five on the power play."

Old
01-22-2014, 10:32 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
How does once get tickets to the draft? I would love to go.
New Jersey did a lottery last year. Between me and my family we had about 4 entries and didn't get picked. My dad had a connect though who got us tickets in the draftees section.

Kinda sucks being there, they don't really play any of the TSN feed. Pretty much just announce the picks. Something to cross off your bucket list though.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

They should draft for skill and skating ability.

Some names:

-Haydn Fleury (D)
-Brendan Perlini (LW)
-Jake Virtanen (RW)
-William Nylander (LW)
-Nikolaj Ehlers (LW)
-Sonny Milano (LW)
-Roland McKeown (D)
-Julius Honka (D)

Old
01-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Some names:

-Haydn Fleury (D)
-Brendan Perlini (LW)

-Jake Virtanen (RW)
-William Nylander (LW)
-Nikolaj Ehlers (LW)

-Sonny Milano (LW)
-Roland McKeown (D)
-Julius Honka (D)
Bolded will be gone before the Flyers pick I imagine... Virtanen likely will as well.

I also do not think Sonny Milano belongs with the others... it is a fine distinction (mid 1st to late) but I would put Kapanen, Kempe and Karlsson will maybe be there and 'belong' more in that group... and all are pretty good skaters (Kapanen especially.)

Ofc that is personal opinion... I am going off others here as I have not seen Milano, while having seen most of the others.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Bolded will be gone before the Flyers pick I imagine... Virtanen likely will as well.

I also do not think Sonny Milano belongs with the others... it is a fine distinction (mid 1st to late) but I would put Kapanen, Kempe and Karlsson will maybe be there and 'belong' more in that group... and all are pretty good skaters (Kapanen especially.)

Ofc that is personal opinion... I am going off others here as I have not seen Milano, while having seen most of the others.
Yeah, most of those players will be gone but those are the guys that I like.

Also forgot Kapanen.

TSN just came out with their list and Milano was #16 and Pronman just ranked him at #10.

Button on him, "Milano is an offensive threat with magic hands around the net and the confidence to carry out plays despite opponents bearing down on him. He has the ability to be in the scoring spots at the right times."

Pronman on him, "Milano has benefited from having Jack Eichel -- in the mix as the No. 1 pick of 2015 -- as his center this season, but he's also looked extremely impressive on his own merits. Milano stands out on a nightly basis due to his outstanding offensive tools. He's an explosive skater in terms of acceleration and burst. He also has elite puck skills and makes unique plays with the puck. Milano, however, is somewhat undersized and can try to do too much at times."

Old
01-24-2014, 12:53 AM
Akanon

Here's McKenzie's mid-season rankings

Link to the list
Quote:
Top 10
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett
4. Dal Colle
5. Draisaitl
6. Fleury
7. Ritchie
8. Perlini
9. Kapanen
10. Virtanen
VIDEO - Bob McKenzie's Mid-Season NHL Draft Ranking Show

Old
01-24-2014, 05:16 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Some names:

-Haydn Fleury (D)
-Brendan Perlini (LW)
-Jake Virtanen (RW)
-William Nylander (LW)
-Nikolaj Ehlers (LW)
-Sonny Milano (LW)
-Roland McKeown (D)
-Julius Honka (D)
The Flyers will finish 6th in their division IMO which will put them in the 8-12 range. Fluery will definitely be gone but most of the others will probably be there. If not Perlini, Draisaitl, who has played left wing and is starting to drop, could be available too.

Old
01-24-2014, 06:50 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

The Flyers are known for taking players who are ranked lower. Past two drafts this was shown with Laughton and Morin. Only if a player who was a surefire top 10 guy drops do i see them taking s higher player. Remeber this wss the team who was gonna draft Siemens at 8 instead of Hamilton. Luckily Couturier dropped. Should look at players ranked in the early to mid 20s (assuming be finish near 15)

Old
01-24-2014, 07:36 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
He really seemingly dislikes Nylander... he has not been in any of his top rankings. Pretty much every other prospect scouting service or individual has Nylander ~6-9.

I think the top~ 20 is actually surprisingly stable and there will likely be few shocks:

1-3: Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett.
4-12: Dal Colle, Perlini, Fleury, Nylander, Ritchie, McCann and Draisaitl.
8-25: Kapanen, Kempe, Karlsson, Ehlers, Barbashev, Virtanen, McKeown, Larkin, Bleackley and Honka.

(overlaps intentional)

That is 20 guys who will very likely go top 25... I just cannot see more than 1-2 falling past 20.

The only 'wildcards' who could seemingly jump ahead of those guys at the moment are DeAngelo, Tuch, Milano, Martin, Schmaltz, Ho-Sang and Pastrnak... and even then they are not exactly wildcards. Of course at draft time there will be a few left field guys... but there is a pretty good consensus on most.

There has just been so little rankings movement so far... usually there are massive fallers and big risers... there really have not been so far.

Old
01-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I think we could be in line for a top 10 pick, maybe even first overall if we finally get some lottery luck. Florida, Calgary, Edmonton and Buffalo are the only teams I'm sure we'll finish ahead of.

Currently 18th in Points %, and I think we'll be 20-something by the Olympic break since the seven games left are very tough.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Old
01-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
He really seemingly dislikes Nylander... he has not been in any of his top rankings. Pretty much every other prospect scouting service or individual has Nylander ~6-9.

I think the top~ 20 is actually surprisingly stable and there will likely be few shocks:

1-3: Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett.
4-12: Dal Colle, Perlini, Fleury, Nylander, Ritchie, McCann and Draisaitl.
8-25: Kapanen, Kempe, Karlsson, Ehlers, Barbashev, Virtanen, McKeown, Larkin, Bleackley and Honka.

(overlaps intentional)

That is 20 guys who will very likely go top 25... I just cannot see more than 1-2 falling past 20.

The only 'wildcards' who could seemingly jump ahead of those guys at the moment are DeAngelo, Tuch, Milano, Martin, Schmaltz, Ho-Sang and Pastrnak... and even then they are not exactly wildcards. Of course at draft time there will be a few left field guys... but there is a pretty good consensus on most.

There has just been so little rankings movement so far... usually there are massive fallers and big risers... there really have not been so far.
It's a strange year in that nobody has exploded in production like Seguin or RNH and most of the top forwards project as wingers, not centers. Centers always get more hype.

Old
01-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Prongo
Beer

If we do plummet we also might have the luxury of having two first rounders by trading kimmo. Might be a very low first but it will be another. We then could use one or the other to try and sweeten the pot for a big league defender or grab another prospect

Old
01-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Curufinwe

They should see what picks they can get for Downie, Mez and Kimmo.

Only 10 games left before the trade deadline.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:30 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

If Pittsburgh offers a first for Kimmo, do you take it? Gives him a strong shot at the cup, but ... it's Pittsburgh.

You can throw in other factors as well, like: He'll resign here next year for 3m. Sweetening the pot a bit.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If we do plummet we also might have the luxury of having two first rounders by trading kimmo. Might be a very low first but it will be another. We then could use one or the other to try and sweeten the pot for a big league defender or grab another prospect
The Deadline is March 5..

They are currently in the 8th spot, up 2 pts on the Wings and Senators, 3 on the hurricanes and Devils, and 4 on the capitals. Every one of those teams have at least 1 if not 2 games in hand on the Flyers. The red wings and Senators each play 11 games before the deadline, while the devils, capital, and hurricanes play 12.

The Flyers schedule beforehand is bruins, red wings, @ ducks, @ kings, @ sharks, aves, flames, sharks, rangers, and @ capitals.

The Flyers would have to completely tank, IMO, like winning only against Calagry, to be more than 6 pts out of a playoff spot. The Flyers didn't sell off last year with more dire circumstances, I doubt they sell off this year. If anything Holmgren might acquire in an attempt to save his job.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
If anything Holmgren might acquire in an attempt to save his job.
Keeping Holmgren around under the circumstances we face is like giving a baby a loaded gun...

He needs to step down..effective immediately

Old
01-24-2014, 10:58 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
They should see what picks they can get for Downie, Mez and Kimmo.

Only 10 games left before the trade deadline.
and Vinny?

haha... come on Homer or whoever is the GM by then DO IT.

Closed Thread